Stats: 3,154,615 members, 7,823,678 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:12 PM

Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President (30179 Views)

Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) / Message From ASUU President / We Wont Call Off Strike Until Our Demands Are Met - ASUU President (2) (3) (4)

Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President by ganase2: 8:17am On Sep 08, 2013
The President of Academic Staff Union of Universities, Dr. Isa Fagge has said it is continuing its nationwide strike on the advice of university students.

Speaking with PUNCH, the President of the union said students were tired of the incessant industrial actions by the university lecturers due to the Federal Government’s failure to implement the agreement it had with ASUU since 2009.

Fagge said the union had decided to heed the advice of the students to continue the
strike until the Federal Government fully implemented the agreement.

“Our students have come out to say they don’t want us to call off the strike until the Federal Government answers us, because they don’t want us to call off now and later we go back to strike again. So, we are heeding the advice of our students,” he said.

On the complaint by the Federal Government that it lacked the funds to implement the agreement, Fagge said it was not all about money, noting that government did not need funds to start implementing some parts of the agreement.

“There are issues and agreement they can implement without money. Why don’t they begin with those ones?” he asked.

He added that it was unfortunate that the government had pulled out of dialogue with ASUU, stating that the union would not be intimidated.

He said, “Now, government has pulled out of the dialogue. We thought we were the ones going on strike, but now government has also gone on strike.”

The university lecturers who began an indefinite strike on July 1 and have been demanding full implementation of the agreement ASUU had with the Federal Government in 2009, which among other things include the UNESCO-recommended 26 per cent budgetary allocation for education. However, the government said it could not implement the agreement, and is seeking re-negotiation.

The Minister of Information, Labaran Maku, who gave government’s position on the strike when he briefed journalists at the end of the weekly meeting of the Federal Executive Council, said apart from security, education was one of the sectors the government had expended a lot of money on.

http://www.punchng.com/news/students-dont-want-us-to-end-strike-ASUU/

Re: Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President by Jaideyone(m): 8:23am On Sep 08, 2013
Shame on the FG

Re: Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President by gregg2: 8:27am On Sep 08, 2013
ASUU "agreements" never finish. As government implements one the next is put on the table again for discussion. These guys are a greedy bunch.

The NANS leadership are just naive if they think implementing this agreement for ASUU will end strike actions. And I bet you, Non academic staff, SSANU, NUT, Polytechnic, Colleges of Education are all waiting on the sidelines so they too can come up with their own agitations. The "No work, No Salary" policy should be put in the constitution.

27 Likes

Re: Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President by Jaideyone(m): 8:43am On Sep 08, 2013
gregg2: ASUU "agreements" never finish. As government implements one the next is put on the table again for discussion These guys are a greedy bunch.
Ignorance is bliss!!!
Here's my comment from another thread

jaidey-one:
A n Tori oja ja, oja ni talo n ja leyinkule oun.
The annoying thing about this ASUU strike is the fact that some numbskulls who call themselves students now see their lecturers as their enemies. Some lecturers harass and extort students but that doesn't change the fact that these lecturers are fighting for increased funding for education. Their allowances are so minute compared to the bulk that would go into building class rooms, laboratories, lecture halls, etc. ASUU members wont share 87billion amongst themselves. They are fighting for all Nigerians. They want a better environment for learning so that these ignorant ones can get a proper education.

The FG pays less than a million millitants hundreds of billions annually but oil theft is still unexpectedly high. The same FG finds it difficult to release 87billion naira to provide better education for millions of youths trying to get an education instead of going into millitancy!!!

Instead of these students to support ASUU some of us call them thieves. It's a shame!!!

How do we expect our universities to get better when lecturers get paid peanuts How do we intend to attract the best minds when a first class graduate would rather work for a bank because the pay is better? How do you explain the fact that a phd holder in a federal university with 15+ years of experience earns 300k

Countries like SA, Ghana, etc spend about 25% of their budget on education but Nigeria spends less that 10%!!!

This country is a joke!!!

72 Likes

Re: Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President by ebucha: 8:46am On Sep 08, 2013
Selfish, un-innovative,researchless copy-and-paste liars who prefare to lazy about in the name of strike and receive fat unmerited salaries every month end. Even our secondary school teachers are more professional, hard working and enthusiastic than those DONmies(sorry dummies) in our universities who could scarcely relate bookwork to the present society.well, I don't blame them. Its the work less and chop more mentality of our politicians that is causing all this.

24 Likes

Re: Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President by tyson99(m): 9:05am On Sep 08, 2013
I don't think the strike is affecting his children

Re: Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President by raytony: 9:26am On Sep 08, 2013
Only the man na handsome and beautiful.
Re: Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President by oluwadare26(m): 11:41am On Sep 08, 2013
LOL..

7TH TO COMMENT
AND TO FG & ASUU I SAY,

END

TIME

THINZ

Re: Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President by bukit05(f): 11:42am On Sep 08, 2013
Just passing by. . .
Re: Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President by jmoore(m): 11:43am On Sep 08, 2013
How many students are in agreement with him?

They still want to be paid for months they spent doing nothing. Selfish indeed!

Re: Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President by Nobody: 11:44am On Sep 08, 2013
Are these ones mad? Aswear, God punish all these lecturers. Idiots, where did they get this from?

Everyone have been complaining, and they are saying this. Nigeria is doomed, I tell you.

Useless government, useless lecturers.

Re: Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President by 4Play(m): 11:48am On Sep 08, 2013
Their allowances are so minute compared to the bulk that would go into building class rooms, laboratories, lecture halls, etc. ASUU members wont share 87billion amongst themselves. They are fighting for all Nigerians. They want a better environment for learning so that these ignorant ones can get a proper education.

I wish it were that simple. Which ASUU strike has not been preceded by ASUU demands for increased funding for universities, nevertheless, the strikes are called off as soon as lecturers wages are increased without a commensurate increase in university funding.

I suspect the inclusion of these non-wage demands are a PR stunt for ASUU to give the impression that they are not clamoring for themselves. Further, why is it taken for granted that the Govt shouuld spend circa 500bn Naira, close to 10% of the annual budget, a year on universities when the vast majority of Nigerians won't attend University and instead require the meeting of basic needs like pipe-borne water, basic health care and housing?

Re: Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President by zeanslim(m): 11:49am On Sep 08, 2013
its seems END TIME TINZ is d latest trend
Re: Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President by zicol: 11:49am On Sep 08, 2013
Jst passing bye cry
Re: Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President by BabaFearNoBody(m): 11:51am On Sep 08, 2013
The government should oblige 100% of their agrrement and get this sorted out once and for all.

They should understand that at the end of the day its for the interest of us all.
Re: Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President by Nobody: 11:52am On Sep 08, 2013
tins time end
Re: Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President by Niyi47(m): 11:55am On Sep 08, 2013
I don't believe this, students will never give that kind of advice, all students want to graduate as soon as possible.

Re: Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President by RioFernandez(m): 11:55am On Sep 08, 2013
Please Let the strike continue. Am loving it ohh! So will hustle well well with my hustle. So that, at the end will go back to sch with a Car. Haha. ASUU no gree oh

Re: Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President by Trendy247: 11:57am On Sep 08, 2013
END TIME TINZ
Re: Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President by Danhumprey: 11:57am On Sep 08, 2013
This is just bad. Any country that fails to invest in it's educational sector isn't a serious country. Education is the best legacy any government can bestow on it's youth.
Re: Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President by tobechi20(m): 11:59am On Sep 08, 2013
Click like if you are not in support of aasu

20 Likes

Re: Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President by Walexz02(m): 12:01pm On Sep 08, 2013
What nonsense angry
Re: Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President by johnstar(m): 12:01pm On Sep 08, 2013
Na wa o undecided all dis ASUU children self cheesy.... @least person wey first me enter univeristy, ah go first am finish sch grin grin..... TeamPriv8uni cheesy *dancing skelewu*

Re: Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President by tayokem(m): 12:01pm On Sep 08, 2013
ASUU president is very stupid for saying that. Is it students thaat should be directing tthem on what to do. Lecturers are fighting for their own pocket andd not for tthe students. Infact SSS should starttt monitoring ASUU members , I'm very sure "New PDP members and APC mmebers" are the ones using them for ttheir selfish politicalk points. ASUU is a disgrace to Nigeria education

Re: Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President by free2ryhme: 12:01pm On Sep 08, 2013
the nigerian students has spoken. Gbam!

Re: Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President by Emmy9ite(m): 12:03pm On Sep 08, 2013
Was there a poll? I don't remember saying the strike should continue. Please someone should tell me what the school fees of students are used for? Strike will always continue in Nigeria until ASUU can use what they have to get what they want.

Re: Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President by ayusco85(m): 12:03pm On Sep 08, 2013
I, Ayusco85 from university of jos, i concur. It should go on until it is resolved permanently. #aluta continua, victoria A̶̲̥̅♏ not sure grin

Re: Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President by slap1(m): 12:05pm On Sep 08, 2013
If ASUU is serious about sustaining this strike, then it should shut the hell up and get on with it. What's with talking about the strike regularly when there is no new positive development?

Re: Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President by eslathomas(m): 12:06pm On Sep 08, 2013
Re: Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President by sonickay(m): 12:07pm On Sep 08, 2013
Rio Fernandez: Please Let the strike continue. Am loving it ohh! So will hustle well well with my hustle. So that, at the end will go back to sch with a Car. Haha. ASUU no gree oh
no be only car na bike, get dat first! End...
Re: Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President by Gpius(m): 12:08pm On Sep 08, 2013
I don't knw wat 2 comment...infact i want 2 go 2 Niger rep and continue my educatn there....bt wait wat abt lookn 4 job i think dats d bst optn cos am tired of stayn at hme as a matter of fact mak i do get children b4 dem call am off

Re: Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President by Leochizzy(m): 12:09pm On Sep 08, 2013
pls am enjoying this striking ASUU. ASUU and thunder which one strike pass........,,.........................................(kpooooooooozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa). ASUU pls am a student and I suggest we countine our strike pls. up up ASUU down down fg; up up ASUU down down fg...singing my church song here.

Seye Oduyale Bags Medical Degree In U.S. After Applying For 8 Schools / What Is The Difference Between A Lake, A River, And A Stream? / New Lecturers Resume Work At AAUA To Replace Striking Ones