Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,695 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:59 PM

Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) - Art, Graphics & Video (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) (225352 Views)

Oscar Ukonu: The Nigerian Who Can Draw Everything With Pen / How To Draw A Minion... / How To Draw A Detailed Smiley Face Using Adobe Illustrator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by yorex2011: 11:17pm On Nov 08, 2013
Onegai:

PLEASE DON'T POST PICTURES OF IMAGES NOT RELATED TO WHAT WE ARE DRAWING, SO AS NOT TO DERAIL THE THREAD. The last poster, please edit your post accordingly.
sorry...my bad
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by Feraz(m): 11:20pm On Nov 08, 2013
centje: am not too late wink onegai, you doing a great job...following cool
wish I was in lag embarassed
Boss!!! cool
Onegai:

Hey, you could go to Artworld and buy a sketchpad for like N1,000. Or some shops in VI sell for N500. But you get limited sheets in that sketchpad (like 30). What I can do, is for those coming for the Drawing class, is buy you sheets of paper, A1 size, at N7/sheet. Most art students divide those sheets into half or more sizes and make their own sketchpads with hardbacks or a plywood or masonite board backing, for support. Not only can you add more sheets to that sketchpad, it's reusable and will cost you much less than a pre-made one and can take over 200 sheets. So it lasts longer.

What about the acid content of the paper? Doesn't it matter if I'm to make one myself?
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by Onegai(f): 11:37pm On Nov 08, 2013
Feraz: Boss!!! cool
What about the acid content of the paper? Doesn't it matter if I'm to make one myself?

This is a tough question I'm gonna ask, but I'll ask it anyway: is anyone currently buying your sketches? No, not yet? Then use the cheap paper and forget about acid content for now. When your drawing improves to the point people ask you how much for a painting, buy the expensive acid-free archival paper.

That's what my mentor said to me, and yep, it stung my pride. But over 90 sheets later, I went and got quality paper I can now frame. Because I'm now being asked to exhibit my works publicly as part of small galleries and small private auctions.
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by Feraz(m): 11:40pm On Nov 08, 2013
Onegai:

This is a tough question I'm gonna ask, but I'll ask it anyway: is anyone currently buying your sketches? No, not yet? Then use the cheap paper and forget about acid content for now. When your drawing improves to the point people ask you how much for a painting, buy the expensive acid-free archival paper.

That's what my mentor said to me, and yep, it stung my pride. But over 90 sheets later, I went and got quality paper I can now frame. Because I'm now being asked to exhibit my works publicly as part of small galleries and small private auctions.
Nope at the bolded. Thanks for the advice!

1 Like

Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by firestar(f): 11:45pm On Nov 08, 2013
Konbanwa everyone!
Feraz-kun, arigato.

That upside-down portrait, I'm tempted to crane my neck!
Brb!
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by Onegai(f): 11:56pm On Nov 08, 2013
yorex2011: drawing upside down i havent tried before
head too small...grin

Good start, but please for everyone, LET'S ALL USE ONLY PENCILS TO DRAW FOR NOW. AND NO SHADING. Reason is, that we want to improve our lines. Heck, I'm using those fat red, N20 carpenter's pencil to do this challenge and it's coming out well. smiley

@Firestar: No craning of neck, or auntie won't give you sweets after class. Lol.
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by Nobody: 12:01am On Nov 09, 2013
Onegai:

Good start, but please for everyone, LET'S ALL USE ONLY PENCILS TO DRAW FOR NOW. AND NO SHADING. Reason is, that we want to improve our lines. Heck, I'm using those fat red, N20 carpenter's pencil to do this challenge and it's coming out well. smiley

Can you explain why my drawing was deleted? i am making use of shapes!!!!!
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by erad(m): 12:09am On Nov 09, 2013
engineerd:

Can you explain why my drawing was deleted? i am making use of shapes!!!!!

This topic is on FP so you should understand that different age groups including minors will want to take a peek and participate. Let's not scare them with adult content please.

Sorry if you feel slighted, just trying to maintain the sanity of the thread.

Thanks
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by Nobody: 1:30am On Nov 09, 2013
erad:

This topic is on FP so you should understand that different age groups including minors will want to take a peek and participate. Let's not scare them with adult content please.

Sorry if you feel slighted, just trying to maintain the sanity of the thread.

Thanks

LOL....thanks for the reasonable response.... I will think of something less Bleep to draw ...LOL
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by BOLAJIAJANI(m): 2:12am On Nov 09, 2013
Onegai: Thanks. You don't have to be an artist to draw or learn, a lot of graphic artist would benefit from it. Overseas, graphic arts learn Art skills, but in Nigeria, we just buy a mac or download PS and CorelDraw. It usually shows the lack of drawing skills and design skills afterwards.
You are welcome, and what you wrote about some graphic artists in Nigeria(and other places) is true. But, personally, what I do not have now is time. However, by God's grace in the next 4years I'd be going into game design and development.

So, if I'm still alive by 2015 to that time, I'd have to take art classes and immerse myself in related arts to the field. And one thing I'm sure of is practice makes perfect; The more we do something the more we get better in it.

1 Like

Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by hoodboi1(m): 2:22am On Nov 09, 2013
hi onegai, i like wat u are doing...i'll like to know if we can work som'n out....i run a cloth line. u caught my attention when u mentioned artworld. contact me if u are interested, bb pin: 266cb480 or my no 08039289029.
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by Onegai(f): 5:57am On Nov 09, 2013
hood boi: hi onegai, i like wat u are doing...i'll like to know if we can work som'n out....i run a cloth line. u caught my attention when u mentioned artworld. contact me if u are interested, bb pin: 266cb480 or my no 08039289029.

Could you please email nry258@hotmail.com? We can speak more comfortably there. Thank you.
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by perryern(f): 8:01am On Nov 09, 2013
Hey nice trends am interested in learning is there a meeting place where I can learn more apart from the thread......xoxo
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by tolam4skywd(m): 8:17am On Nov 09, 2013
Hw z it? I want u to cmnt on it oo @op

2 Likes

Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by Nobody: 9:50am On Nov 09, 2013
Tried uploading a pic but wasn't successful.
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by alexandakin(m): 11:37am On Nov 09, 2013
I do my drawing right but my shading is Whack cryI do my drawing right but my shading is Whack

1 Like

Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by Onegai(f): 11:43am On Nov 09, 2013
tolam4skywd: Hw z it? I want u to cmnt on it oo @op

Hey, good try. However, you didn't use the box as a guide to placing your figure. If you look at the original picture, parts of the woman touch the edge of the box. Make sure when you're drawing, yours does the same.
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by Nobody: 12:06pm On Nov 09, 2013
Yeah! i love drawings. going back to it.
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by oduz: 4:46pm On Nov 09, 2013
KUDOS Onegai cool
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by rextimon(m): 6:36pm On Nov 09, 2013
nice post @ op. will definately try all ur methods I ws gifted n drawing but stop wen i got admission some years back always saw it as my escape route and to open my mind and perceive the environment but I will definately start once more again and ur post hs added more fire to my desire kip it up!!!
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by Raxxye(m): 9:23pm On Nov 09, 2013
Welldone,Onegai. I am not only captivated by your interesting drawing lessons, but also deeply impressed at your intelligence and mastery of the English Language. Even though I am not an Arts/Language person, my eyes have this bad habit of always looking out for errors in spellings and punctuations in people's write-ups. They are disappointed with yours as they could find none so far! (No flattery intended).
I already have my seat at the front of your class. Kudos, and keep up the good work!

I've sent you a PM.
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by CMPunk10: 10:13pm On Nov 09, 2013
Onegai: Hello everyone. I thought I'd start a thread to get us to pick up our pencils and free up our wrists. This is open to anyone, grab a sheet of paper, and welcome!

First, what is drawing accurately? How do you draw things proportionally, with the right amount of Perspective and Tonal Value? A grid, all the time? Nope. What you need is practise, and a new way of seeing. Everything in this world is a shape. The problem with learning how to draw is that, our minds are so used to seeing stuff, that we draw what is in our minds, rather than what is in front of us. We're all gonna learn how to change that and see properly.
So challenge 1: Draw your hand. Take as much time as you think. That's one drawing, lay it aside.
Challenge 2: follow my descriptions in my images (don't overthink it, just follow them). Post both pics up, and let's compare.
. U dis gal tunda fire u. Shey you fit draw. Oyah make I show you wetin I draw. Abeg tell me how to post picture on NL using BB
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by yame014: 5:35am On Nov 10, 2013
@onegai...nice thread...i jux tried this out...thanks for d lesson but 'am finding it difficult to upload d snapshot...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by femi9naija(m): 1:17pm On Nov 10, 2013
I have ds passion for sketching but it's like laziness has taken over. I v been looking for a sketching class, I'm loving this thread. these are sketches I made some months back

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by Onegai(f): 2:23pm On Nov 10, 2013
femi9naija: I have ds passion for sketching but it's like laziness has taken over. I v been looking for a sketching class, I'm loving this thread. these are sketches I made some months back

Ooh, I love illustrators! Imagination is grea and that little Jamaican man would be perfect for animation for a teen show or even a comic strip. Please stay on the thread, because there's so much we can
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by Feraz(m): 2:30pm On Nov 10, 2013
Onegai:

Ooh, I love illustrators! Imagination is grea and that little Jamaican man would be perfect for animation for a teen show or even a comic strip. Please stay on the thread, because there's so much we can
I sent you a mail. . .
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by femi9naija(m): 11:23pm On Nov 10, 2013
Onegai:

Me sef, I'm not planning on leaving o
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by benjibabs(m): 6:56am On Nov 11, 2013
Hi OP,

Thanks for this thread. Please see my drawings below. Shey I try small?

1 Like

Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by Onegai(f): 9:36am On Nov 11, 2013
benjibabs: Hi OP,

Thanks for this thread. Please see my drawings below. Shey I try small?

This is a nice try. I like the hand sketches and the upside-down drawing used the angles of the box well. Well done.
Re: Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) by petreli08: 3:37pm On Nov 11, 2013
@op i sent a mail to you

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.