Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:10 AM

Child Slavery And Abuse - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Child Slavery And Abuse (3961 Views)

The Increasing Rate Of Rape And Abuse In Our Society / 21 Tell Tale Signs Of Emotional Abuse in marriage / Child Molestation And Abuse: Don't You Think An Abuser Also Need Counselling (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Child Slavery And Abuse by mazaje(m): 11:13pm On Nov 06, 2013
I have been living in Nigeria for a while and I have noticed something. . .Nigerian women are as evil and wicked as the Nigerian men they claim beat and abuse them all the time, only that the Nigerian women do it to kids that are helpless and defenseless. . .I am shocked and astonished at the nonsense that I am seeing all around me. . .

You ladies come to nairaland crying that your husbands beat you up and treat you badly only for you to go back and be doing worse to the little children of others whom you claim are your house helps. A law should be passed that prohibits these evil women from these evil acts. Taking little kids from the village as house helps which is nothing but child slavery should end . .I have noticed that it is prevalent. . .My sister does it to her house help, my aunts do same to theirs, my friends wife do same its just every where. . .Why do you ladies do this?

NO body should pity any woman that comes here crying that her husband is beating her or treating her badly, please go and see what they are doing to this kids. . .Am so pissed. . .

2 Likes

Re: Child Slavery And Abuse by bigheart2013(m): 11:39pm On Nov 06, 2013
I opened a thread yesterday that most (not all) Nigerian ladies are ungrateful, some of them started insulting me on their posts. But you have to deal with a cross-section of our 'sisters' to draw conclusions for yourself. Read newspapers and see the type of cruelty young women in Nigeria deal their house helps. If you have a good heart you will cry. I shake my head in disbelief when some of the reports go on to say the alleged crimes were committed by members of some of the so-called pentecostal churches. What do they learn in those churches, and what do they practice? How can a woman sell her 12yr old maid's virginity to a 45 yr-old man for N500? How can a woman use a hot iron on the back of an 8yrs old because he lost N1,000? How can a young woman insert a hot rod into the private part of a 9yr old maid bc she watched TV rather than wash dishes? Sometime I feel there are no demons in hellfire anymore, they are all in Nigeria!

I can only say that yesterday's run's girls (campus prostitutes) who had no values for their bodies are today's mothers and wives. Nigeria is reaping the effects of years of continued moral decadence on campuses in every aspect of the family -poor parenting skills, cruelty to children, marital problems, dishonesty, ungratefulness, infidelity, materialism, ungodliness, etc.

The worse culprits are the best preachers! I must add there are still many good Nigerian ladies with the heart of Gold. I have worked with many well-raise girls, and may God bless them. However majority are simply inhuman even in relationships, and marriage.

Re: Child Slavery And Abuse by Nobody: 5:19am On Nov 07, 2013
If you ask them they will tell you they are training the child. wink

I'm surprised you're just realizing how evil 'Madams' of the house are. grin

It's the inherent bastardization of authority we Nigerians exhibit when in a position of power. We sneer at subordinates.

2 Likes

Re: Child Slavery And Abuse by Ennyhollar(f): 8:17am On Nov 07, 2013
Hmmmmmm life
Re: Child Slavery And Abuse by Nobody: 8:33am On Nov 07, 2013

1 Like

Re: Child Slavery And Abuse by nnofaith: 8:54am On Nov 07, 2013
We have over time created a very terrible environment for ourselves in this country. Everywhere you go you see chaos and violence. mazaje what do you expect from pple brought up in chaos and violence?!
Re: Child Slavery And Abuse by Nobody: 9:02am On Nov 07, 2013
Nigerian society needs scientific cleansing..

In a way where all the culprits will be selected and locked up in far away island.
Re: Child Slavery And Abuse by Nobody: 9:06am On Nov 07, 2013
Even online warriors will not be spared. angry

Go to other forums and see the way they behave,
Here na so so fight and curse.

Coo**r, baby***si etc
Re: Child Slavery And Abuse by pickabeau1: 9:11am On Nov 07, 2013
^^ everytime i see your post,,, i laff n think of that meme on the family section... lipsrsealed
Re: Child Slavery And Abuse by mmsen: 9:12am On Nov 07, 2013
One of the most disheartening things about Nigeria is the meanness of the women towards children (or subordinates in general).

Not just house boys/girls but their own children.

It seems as if many of them feel it is their right to unsettle, belittle, demean and abuse anyone unfortunate enough to be under their control.

I witnessed a particularly saddening episode in a church courtyard where a small child (maybe 7 years-old) was handing her mother a handbag (who was a big woman, built like an NFL linebacker with breasts) clearly cowering in fear of being beaten. Most likely for something incredibly petty. Of course everyone else went on about their business as if nothing wrong was happening. There was no crime to speak of, no injustice of note.

Unfortunately for us all the burden of initial instructor of children falls on women, in the form of mothers and later teachers. With Nigeria the way that it is what does that tell us about the nature of the women...

1 Like

Re: Child Slavery And Abuse by Nobody: 9:16am On Nov 07, 2013
pickabeau1: ^^ everytime i see your post,,, i laff n think of that meme on the family section... lipsrsealed

You wish grin
Sorry to burst your bubble.

Me I actually think of ch***co***
Re: Child Slavery And Abuse by Nobody: 9:46am On Nov 07, 2013
bigheart2013: I opened a thread yesterday that most (not all) Nigerian ladies are ungrateful, some of them started insulting me on their posts. But you have to deal with a cross-section of our 'sisters' to draw conclusions for yourself. Read newspapers and see the type of cruelty young women in Nigeria deal their house helps. If you have a good heart you will cry. I shake my head in disbelief when some of the reports go on to say the alleged crimes were committed by members of some of the so-called pentecostal churches. What do they learn in those churches, and what do they practice? How can a woman sell her 12yr old maid's virginity to a 45 yr-old man for N500? How can a woman use a hot iron on the back of an 8yrs old because he lost N1,000? How can a young woman insert a hot rod into the private part of a 9yr old maid bc she watched TV rather than wash dishes? Sometime I feel there are no demons in hellfire anymore, they are all in Nigeria!

I can only say that yesterday's run's girls (campus prostitutes) who had no values for their bodies are today's mothers and wives. Nigeria is reaping the effects of years of continued moral decadence on campuses in every aspect of the family -poor parenting skills, cruelty to children, marital problems, dishonesty, ungratefulness, infidelity, materialism, ungodliness, etc.

The worse culprits are the best preachers! I must add there are still many good Nigerian ladies with the heart of Gold. I have worked with many well-raise girls, and may God bless them. However majority are simply inhuman even in relationships, and marriage.
i just decided to take a break now in the office and i had to pause the movie i was watching and re-read this post,errmm.are you sure this stories are not made up?they are for real shocked as in selling a 12 year olds virginity for 500 naira,using hot pressing iron on an 8 year old girl etc,abi is it my eyes that are deceiving me,haaaaaaaa shockedshockedshocked

as in some animals (not women) do this shockedshocked

if adults can no longer protect kids then i am not sorry to say the african kid of the 21st century has no future because the child that has been ill treated will grow up to bitter and angry with everyone around him and he wont even let the rich kid know peace with crime issues.smh.

Lord,i thank you i did not pass through the womb of an animal and i wasnt sold into slavery as a child,i enjoyed my childhood and grew up to be a well balanced adult.i wasnt born in the 21st century where it is a big cime for a child to come from a poor home.smh...i wonder whether some people even grew up in the jungle sef.hiaannn
Re: Child Slavery And Abuse by ireneidiva(f): 9:47am On Nov 07, 2013
Another 'over-flogged' topic.

1 Like

Re: Child Slavery And Abuse by pickabeau1: 11:45am On Nov 07, 2013
Im struggling to decode... please put more letters

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1398535_tribal_jpg5f11cf2b30e1aa558a0587e526db4a7e

Chillisauce:

You wish grin
Sorry to burst your bubble.

Re: Child Slavery And Abuse by Seun(m): 2:21pm On Nov 07, 2013
This is awful!
Re: Child Slavery And Abuse by Afam4eva(m): 3:28pm On Nov 07, 2013
Nigerian women can be heartless when dealing with children that's not theirs. Just last week i saw how one woman gave her neighbor's daughter a heavy knock on the head because her neighbor's daughter and her own daughter fought and these kids are of the same age group. Is she can do this to her neighbor's daughter, how much more someone that was given to her to do as she pleases. I wonder why Nigerian women are like this. To think that these same people will come on Nairaland to be telling us how their husbands maltreat them both would to same to others in a more sever manner. I think the government should ban under-age housekeeping. Anybody that wants to enslave any child in the guise of adoption or helping the child should be registered and followed up. The heart of Man Woman is desperately wicked, who can know it.
Re: Child Slavery And Abuse by switdil(f): 3:41pm On Nov 07, 2013
All I know is
No "MOTHER" will ever abuse or use their children as domestic slaves
Re: Child Slavery And Abuse by Dannylux: 3:47pm On Nov 07, 2013
This couldn't be truer
Re: Child Slavery And Abuse by mmsen: 4:33pm On Nov 07, 2013
switdil: All I know is
No "MOTHER" will ever abuse or use their children as domestic slaves

If that is the case then we have a paucity of "mothers" in Nigeria.
Re: Child Slavery And Abuse by switdil(f): 5:59pm On Nov 07, 2013
mmsen:

If that is the case then we have a paucity of "mothers" in Nigeria.
Soo many mommy out there
But few mothers
Those that ll fight with their bood to save their children
Are just few
Re: Child Slavery And Abuse by mazaje(m): 6:35pm On Nov 07, 2013
nnofaith: We have over time created a very terrible environment for ourselves in this country. Everywhere you go you see chaos and violence. mazaje what do you expect from pple brought up in chaos and violence?!

I tire brother, I tire. . . .The problem is these women don't see ANY thing wrong in what they are doing, am very serious, they don't think its wrong at all. . .I tried confronting one of my aunts and she was like if not for her the small girl would have died in the village, this is the same woman whose husband picked her up from the gutter and made her what she is today. . .My sister made similar remarks. . .The house girl in my sister's house can not even sit on the chair in the living room, she stays only in the kitchen, she is forced to keep a low cut, the kids treat her very badly and she can not even talk to them , she is sent to a useless public school, this is a woman who is very rich oh. . .The problem is that its all over the place and its acceptable. . Haba!. . .Let any woman come to nairaland and cry that her husband is beating her. . .What goes around comes around. . .Their husbands should kill them cos they are not better at all. . .They are worse off. since they can only bully defenseless kids, witches. . .I am serious, its most Nigerian women that do this. . .Including my sisters, cousins and aunts. . Majority of Nigerian women are evil. . .I wonder why they keep complaining that the men are bad. . .Frying pan calling kettle black. . .I dey vex badly. . .

1 Like

Re: Child Slavery And Abuse by Seun(m): 6:40pm On Nov 07, 2013
What are we planning to do about this problem?
Re: Child Slavery And Abuse by armyofone(m): 6:59pm On Nov 07, 2013
Say no to borrowing children out.
Only married people should have sex.
Use condo.m if you don't have the intention of having kids

Seun: What are we planning to do about this problem?
Re: Child Slavery And Abuse by mazaje(m): 7:00pm On Nov 07, 2013

Workable and actionable solutions might not work to be candid, poverty is too much, many of these kids are brought from the villages and their parents are happy to send them off with the belief that their future will be bright. . .Sponsoring laws that can prohibit women from having children as house helps can help or enacting laws that will severely punish women that treat their house maids badly. . .Like a case that happened last week where a woman close to where I live put hot dry pepper in the eyes of her 13 years old house boy because 1500 naira was missing from her purse. .Long jail terms for such crimes can help. . .That's the short term solution that I can think of. . .

1 Like

Re: Child Slavery And Abuse by bigheart2013(m): 8:23pm On Nov 07, 2013

I found out that many people do not even know what, Child Abuse and Child neglect are. They can't different between the 2. The problem is that these problems are backed by religion making it difficult for anyone to see reasons.

Solutions:
1. E-campaign on websites like Nairaland to sensitize people of what Child abuse is and the effect
2. Partnership with churches to educate their members especially young women during marriage counseling and women's meetings
3. Everyone must intervene. If you see your neighbor abusing a child, please intervene. Don't say it's no your business
4. Human right NGOs must follow cases to logical conclusion. They should not just report cases to police, publish it in their website to get funding and leave knowing Nigeria's police will collect bribe and set the culprits free. They must follow up to ensure that the culprits are prosecuted to set example to others.
5. Catch the culprits on camera and share them on Nairaland, for public instant e-judgementgrin

Types Of Child Abuse:

Physical abuse:
1.Hitting a child with fist or objects to inflict pain
2.Subjecting a child to corporal punishment including spanking
3.Encouraging older boys to s.exually molest a minor child
4.Feeding children illegal drugs, cigarettes and alcohol beverages
5.Having intimate pleasure with a minor (statutory r.ape)
6.Depriving a child sleep (sleep deprivation as a punishment)
7. Asking a child to steal items for an adult
8. Child p.ornography
9.Street trading/ Child labor
10.Striping a child nude in the public as a form of punishment
11. Child Marriage

Emotional Abuse
1.Berating a child and using hurting abusive words
2.Calling a child demon-possessed, witch, or wizard
3.Calling a child a 'bastard', 'ugly'
4.Denying a child love and attention
5.Using children to make money
6. Abusing a child's poor or dead parents
7.Discriminating against a child
8.Refusing to acknowledge the greeting or painful cries of a child.

Child Neglect
1.Starving a child when the parent/ guardian can afford food
2.Denying a child education (not sending a child to school)
3.Abandoning a child in harms way unattended
4.Not taking a sick child to a hospital when he/she is sick
5.Not providing adequate clothing for children, when parents/guardian can afford it

Please add more

2 Likes

Re: Child Slavery And Abuse by stevolinkon40: 8:48pm On Nov 07, 2013
Re: Child Slavery And Abuse by troy20(m): 10:32pm On Nov 07, 2013
how can we get the topic to frontpage.this issue is a very strong often negleted problem in nigeria
Re: Child Slavery And Abuse by Caracta(f): 7:05am On Nov 08, 2013
We don't have laws in Nigeria. The government has failed to protect the young ones. And people have this habit of minding their business. If the penalty for child abuse was death sentence, i'm sure many people would think twice about it.

This is not just a woman or househelp thing. Some people abuse their own children...even men. My aunt's husband would lock his only child up and beat her for days without food. He claimed the little child was a witch and that was why they couldn't have other children...so he decided to flog the evil spirit out of her.

The mum, my aunt couldn't intervene. The husband was physically abusing her too. I've never seen a weaker woman in my life! I couldn't take it anymore. I had to report the case to Ministry of Women Affairs...after threatening to castrate the man and feed his bålls to the dogs.

As for those maltreating their househelps, i'm very sure some of you are reading our comments here, i hope you know that Karma is a bïtch...even though Karma is slow these days. I only pity your children.
Re: Child Slavery And Abuse by Nobody: 12:31am On Nov 09, 2013
Nice thread. But you almost spoiled it with you first paragraph. Anyway I guess you're talking out of annoyance. Which is understanable
@ topic: I've spoken on this issue before and just like someone said here 'it's over flogged' that what I was told

My opinion,I don't think it has been flogged enough. I think house maid taking should be abolished in nigeria. Seriously. It should be outlawed. It will create employment for professional house- keepers and at the same reduce these horror stories we read everyday. Partners should look out for signs of abuse in their spouses and help protect these young ones.sometimes they are so helpless with no one to turn to
Madam is physically abusing them
Oga is sezually abusing them
Who do they turn to?
And anyone who notices an abused maid in the area should speak up. Else if that child dies, you're to blame too.
Re: Child Slavery And Abuse by Nobody: 12:48am On Nov 09, 2013
I rememeber back in school when we'd discuss child bearing and training. I would always be against using any form of pain infliction as a punishment for kids and I got really laughed at. Friends kept telling me how I won't be able to raise any child to be responsible if I don't flog(whip) them

This goes to show that it is a widely accepted norm amongst us. If parents will use the whip on their own kids who's kid won't they use it on?
And the relative strength and mindset of the punisher in question determines the level of pain the child feels.
This is so wrong.

I kept hearing" this is nigeria we beat our kids to keep them in line. Or you want you children to be unruly and uncontrollable like white kids."

Why would any one want to bully and control someone else even if they are your kids?

Seriously abuse has a way of eroding the self esteem of the victim and moulding them into sub standard adults.
We can fight abuse starting from the grassroot. Which is the nuclear family itself. Then the good effect will spread to those living with us(househelps)
bigheart2013:
Physical abuse:
1.Hitting a child with fist or objects to inflict pain.
2.Subjecting a child to corporal punishment including spanking

Please add more
Re: Child Slavery And Abuse by Nobody: 12:54am On Nov 09, 2013
Is this not ur site?
At least u can help by sendn it to front page.
Re: Child Slavery And Abuse by Nobody: 12:59am On Nov 09, 2013
Honestly,these stories I'm reading here are disheartening. cry
How do these people react when they are torturing the kids and the poor innocents are crying for mercy.

God have mercy.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Please Advice Heartache Over Husband Attitude / I Kept All My Money In My Wife's Account, Now There's Problem / Starved Wife! I Am Tired! Please Help With Solution To PE.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.