Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,737 members, 7,813,421 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:08 PM

FG To Use Islamic Bond To Build Airports, Refineries - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Use Islamic Bond To Build Airports, Refineries (15900 Views)

FG To Fund 2016 Budget With Islamic Bond / £3,000 UK Visa Bond To Start In November / South Africa To Debut It's First Islamic Bond (sukuk) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Use Islamic Bond To Build Airports, Refineries by Lord9con(m): 12:03pm On Nov 07, 2013
Some people clearly don't use their brains, what's wrong with a system that clearly encourages interest free business. If western Nations that are highly secular are practising this type of banking, what's the worst that could happen? Moreover the countries that practice this Banking system even had a better experience during the Global financial Meltdown (2008). My fellow Nigerians, if we are to take our rightful place among Nations, we just have to do our away with this prejudice towards one another, be it religion or Ethnicity. We have to tolerate one another and RESPECT people's differences. Cheers!!!!
Re: FG To Use Islamic Bond To Build Airports, Refineries by Azedplus(m): 12:06pm On Nov 07, 2013
one too many problems of Nigeria, each section /unit always feeling marginalized. if you don't know about the terms and operations of the Islamic banking why not ask for the benefits rather than castigating oneself here. is uk too being islamised

1 Like

Re: FG To Use Islamic Bond To Build Airports, Refineries by MrAboki: 12:06pm On Nov 07, 2013
samsard: yea, muslims like sani Abacha and Buhari

16 years of Christain rule has it made us any better?!

My guy! Stop focusing on trivial issues and look at the bigger picture.

3 Likes

Re: FG To Use Islamic Bond To Build Airports, Refineries by Shyeikulislam1(m): 12:08pm On Nov 07, 2013
It has come to stay. So deal with it. If u are dat obsessed about islam. Its simple, bring your own

1 Like

Re: FG To Use Islamic Bond To Build Airports, Refineries by deols(f): 12:10pm On Nov 07, 2013
Too much Christian tolerance on this thread
Re: FG To Use Islamic Bond To Build Airports, Refineries by SUBMARINE: 12:13pm On Nov 07, 2013
The Islamic societies still remains one of the poorest in the world yet they go around selling the idea of Islamic banking. I will say it again pls dont make it a collective thing through the FG.
Re: FG To Use Islamic Bond To Build Airports, Refineries by teniyi(m): 12:15pm On Nov 07, 2013
kane45: Nigeria is a circular state and therefore, no sector of d economy was supposed to be islamised.
Circular State? Its shows how you have been drinking poopoo. Poor you.
Re: FG To Use Islamic Bond To Build Airports, Refineries by ArewaWarrior: 12:15pm On Nov 07, 2013
Slizbeat: A country split roughly between Islam and Christianity can not afford to carry out such.

Why not Christianity bond or traditional bond??
What of the other side of this financing??

Please do that in the Northern Nigeria or better still, break away into northern republic.

Religious chauvinism should not be played out, Religious tolerance should be our guide if we are to continue as a nation together.

Religion isnt actually a competition sir. Islam covers every single aspect of our lives, so if ur religion doesnt regulate ur financial activities just let live. Let me give you an e.g In Abuja every single govt building has a mosque because of the fact that twice in the afternoon we muslims HAVE to pray.... 5 times every day for the rest of our lives.

1 Like

Re: FG To Use Islamic Bond To Build Airports, Refineries by Coolboi05(m): 12:16pm On Nov 07, 2013
Slizbeat:

My brother, lets forget about that part. The question is what is the other part of this bond?? This is earth and we are all humans. You can't buy a thing at 10000 and sell at 10000 without a hidden agenda or somewhere the money will come back from.
dsame system dubai n Qatar dat u admire use!remove sentiments n CLear yr eye bro..u can do better!
Re: FG To Use Islamic Bond To Build Airports, Refineries by nairaman66(m): 12:23pm On Nov 07, 2013
Le Stylo: The level of ignorance in Nigeria is unbelievably alarming. And the realisation is disturbing. The Sukuk is becoming increasingly popular because its interest-free, and is guarded by strict ethics.

Mumudom!

You gotta be kidding me! They are only trying to make the above method a core structure in the banking sector. Who said there are no other methods which are guarded by strick ethics?

1 Like

Re: FG To Use Islamic Bond To Build Airports, Refineries by Polio: 12:25pm On Nov 07, 2013
A lotta dumb fu...cktards on this thread i swear... If people dont understand the ethical and financial benefits of Islamic bonds, and cant be bothered to do a thorough research on it, then i think it is pathetic ... Another reason why Nigeria will continue to head down the line of ruin and destruction!

Never seen so much concentration of dunces on a single thread since i have registered on this forum!
Re: FG To Use Islamic Bond To Build Airports, Refineries by nairaman66(m): 12:28pm On Nov 07, 2013
Polio: A lotta dumb fu...cktards on this thread i swear... If people dont understand the ethical and financial benefits of Islamic bonds, and cant be bothered to do a thorough research on it, then i think it is pathetic ... Another reason why Nigeria will continue to head down the line of ruin and destruction!

Never seen so much concentration of dunces on a single thread since i have registered on this forum!

At some point you were making a little sense! Before you clown it all..
Re: FG To Use Islamic Bond To Build Airports, Refineries by Lilimax(f): 12:28pm On Nov 07, 2013
la!:
Ignorance...Ignorance everywhere...Shocking.
grin
Re: FG To Use Islamic Bond To Build Airports, Refineries by Khodry(m): 12:34pm On Nov 07, 2013
tha_originator: aaaaaaaaaaah! shocked

Goodluck AbdulRetardinho Jonathan wants to Islamise Nigeria
despite d information @ ur disposer u still go ahead with dis ur comment...........pls lets do away with all dis hatred n face reality oda countries hv embraced it n dey're doin well.

1 Like

Re: FG To Use Islamic Bond To Build Airports, Refineries by Slizbeat(m): 12:37pm On Nov 07, 2013
Coolboi05: dsame system dubai n Qatar dat u admire use!remove sentiments n CLear yr eye bro..u can do better!

Bros, is dubai and qatar a secular state??

You need to see things in the Nigerian perspective as it relates to Nigeria and not an Islamic nation like the ones you mentioned.
Re: FG To Use Islamic Bond To Build Airports, Refineries by busar(m): 12:39pm On Nov 07, 2013
Ignorance they say can never be cured with prayer undecided undecided make una go learn.
Re: FG To Use Islamic Bond To Build Airports, Refineries by Slizbeat(m): 12:40pm On Nov 07, 2013
Arewa Warrior:

Religion isnt actually a competition sir. Islam covers every single aspect of our lives, so if ur religion doesnt regulate ur financial activities just let live. Let me give you an e.g In Abuja every single govt building has a mosque because of the fact that twice in the afternoon we muslims HAVE to pray.... 5 times every day for the rest of our lives.

I have asked my question and no one seems to give me a convincing answer. In that note, I rest my case. All I pray is that we live to see the end point of it all.

Sai anjuma.
Re: FG To Use Islamic Bond To Build Airports, Refineries by nduchucks: 12:46pm On Nov 07, 2013
Many of the ignorant bigots on this thread do not realize that the phones and/or computers they are using to access the web in order to spew their rubbish, were manufactured with financial instruments, some of which were components of Islamic banking. mumus
Re: FG To Use Islamic Bond To Build Airports, Refineries by Khodry(m): 12:54pm On Nov 07, 2013
ndu_chucks: Many of the ignorant bigots on this thread do not realize that the phones and/or computers they are using to access the web in order to spew their rubbish, were manufactured with financial instruments, some of which were components of Islamic banking. mumus
Tell them o!! Even islamic bankin offers 0% interest rate with profits sharin concept unlyk conventional bankin.......abeg make una quest 4 knowledge very important!

1 Like

Re: FG To Use Islamic Bond To Build Airports, Refineries by omoredia: 1:01pm On Nov 07, 2013
Ayekotoo: Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Debt Management Office (DMO) and the Infrastructure Concession Regulatory Commission (ICRC), are exploring ways to use Sukuk to build airports, railways and refneries.
Speaking at the National Conference on Islamic Banking and Finance in Nigeria, Wednesday, in Abuja, CBN Governor, Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, said that in view of the potentials of Sukuk to develop economies in building infrastructure, the CBN, in conjunction with other sister institutions like the Securities and Exchange Commission(SEC), ICRC, DMO, had assembled a technical team to explore the prospects of alternative modes of finance and set out the procedures for using the modes in the development of infrastructure.

He stated that the team had identified, in its report, potential projects that could be financed by sovereign and sub-sovereign Sukuk.
“These projects include upgrade, maintenance, repairs and new construction of roads and highways; upgrade, renovation and new construction of airports, rehabilitation of the rail line and the building of a new rail line and railway stations. Part funding for the construction of the planned three refineries and mass housing and light rail for some states in the federation” he said.
This, he said, was in addition to the role that Sukuk issuance served in deepening domestic capital markets.

Sanusi noted that only recently, the Osun State government successfully issued a sub-sovereign Sukuk worth N10 billion for building public schools and the issuance was oversubscribed.
“The issuance which was oversubscribed and had a full up-take by the originator, shows the buoyancy of our capital market and its need to take up new alternative instruments” he said.
To further underscore the importance of Islamic Sukuk, the governor hinted that the Prime Minister of United Kingdom, David Cameron, announced the plan to make London not just a capital for Islamic finance to the Western world, but one that would stand along side Dubai and Kuala Lumpur as one of the great capitals of Islamic finance, anywhere in the world.

“Last week, I was at the 9th World Islamic Economic Forum in London hosted by the UK Government and at that function, the Prime Minister, David Cameron, announced his government’s plan to make London not just a. capital for Islamic finance to the Western world, but one that would stand along side Dubai and Kuala Lumpur as one of the great capitals of Islamic finance, anywhere in the world.
The UK plans to do this through the issuance of an Islamic bond sukuk, worth 200 million GBP by the UK Government which it intends to do as early as next year. It also plans to create an islamic index on the London Stock Exchange for Shariah compliant securities to attract more islamic investors.

“The UK is embarking on this plan, despite the fact that it is a non-Islamic country which illustrates what we have been saying, that Islamic finance, though based on sharia, is a financial product with clear goals and it is accessible to all” he said.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/news2013/index.php/en/news/item/25722-fg-plans-use-of-islamic-bond-to-build-airports,-refineries.html

Dirty Alqeada money to loot again o! Hehe the terrorist go vex !
Re: FG To Use Islamic Bond To Build Airports, Refineries by Judek2(m): 1:01pm On Nov 07, 2013
Anytime I hear anything associated with Islam, I run as fast as my legs could carry me.

I never support any of it..
Re: FG To Use Islamic Bond To Build Airports, Refineries by camronid(m): 1:08pm On Nov 07, 2013
Abeg let's leave this matter alone. Click on dis link and register http://standardmirror.pw/?id=Sunnydrums

1 Like

Re: FG To Use Islamic Bond To Build Airports, Refineries by Khodry(m): 1:09pm On Nov 07, 2013
SUBMARINE: The Islamic societies still remains one of the poorest in the world yet they go around selling the idea of Islamic banking. I will say it again pls dont make it a collective thing through the FG.
where did u get dis ur fact nt even fact but claim because if u're conversant with d world politic n history u will oviously know dat islamic countries are among d richest in d world if nt for dis same bigots n hatred..............it will bcom clearer very soon!

1 Like

Re: FG To Use Islamic Bond To Build Airports, Refineries by Polio: 1:14pm On Nov 07, 2013
SUBMARINE: The Islamic societies still remains one of the poorest in the world yet they go around selling the idea of Islamic banking. I will say it again pls dont make it a collective thing through the FG.

No you are wrong .. Moro...n
You need to utilise your brain effectively and the resources around you
When you do, please come back and tell us what you learnt ... Till then, your opinions, thoughts and comments are nothing but garbage!
Re: FG To Use Islamic Bond To Build Airports, Refineries by Shittuakeem(m): 1:17pm On Nov 07, 2013
The muslims have right to name any organization they feel will be beneficial to people they dont beg the federal govt to take the loan they wil lobby for it,
if you can abide with islamic principles you can bank with us. mind you it is the best in the world now, unlike other banks
Re: FG To Use Islamic Bond To Build Airports, Refineries by Mujah1deen: 1:35pm On Nov 07, 2013
Christian countries/kingdoms are broke grin grin, because they keep funding wars all over the world. So bitter Nigerian Christians stop hating on us .
Re: FG To Use Islamic Bond To Build Airports, Refineries by paparazzi1987(m): 1:45pm On Nov 07, 2013
lovat: There is no diffrence betwwen Islamic loans and other conventional loans. In the normal bank loans interest is stated while in Islamic loan interest is added up with the principal. For example if u want to make a high purchase of a goods worth #30000 in normal banking the goods will be sold with let's say a 10% interest which makes it #33000 while in Islamic banking the cost of the goods for high purchase will go outrightly for #33000. It ll now be spread over to seem as if there is no interest attached to it.

You are wrong sire!
In Islamic banking, if you want to borrow money for business; you and the bank will share both the profit and loss in a proportional percentage that the two parties (i.e The bank and You) agreed on.
You CANNOT just borrow money without the bank not following up your business , that is why the bank will be very strict and thoroughly follow up the business.
Re: FG To Use Islamic Bond To Build Airports, Refineries by omoredia: 1:50pm On Nov 07, 2013
Ayekotoo: Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Debt Management Office (DMO) and the Infrastructure Concession Regulatory Commission (ICRC), are exploring ways to use Sukuk to build airports, railways and refneries.
Speaking at the National Conference on Islamic Banking and Finance in Nigeria, Wednesday, in Abuja, CBN Governor, Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, said that in view of the potentials of Sukuk to develop economies in building infrastructure, the CBN, in conjunction with other sister institutions like the Securities and Exchange Commission(SEC), ICRC, DMO, had assembled a technical team to explore the prospects of alternative modes of finance and set out the procedures for using the modes in the development of infrastructure.

He stated that the team had identified, in its report, potential projects that could be financed by sovereign and sub-sovereign Sukuk.
“These projects include upgrade, maintenance, repairs and new construction of roads and highways; upgrade, renovation and new construction of airports, rehabilitation of the rail line and the building of a new rail line and railway stations. Part funding for the construction of the planned three refineries and mass housing and light rail for some states in the federation” he said.
This, he said, was in addition to the role that Sukuk issuance served in deepening domestic capital markets.

Sanusi noted that only recently, the Osun State government successfully issued a sub-sovereign Sukuk worth N10 billion for building public schools and the issuance was oversubscribed.
“The issuance which was oversubscribed and had a full up-take by the originator, shows the buoyancy of our capital market and its need to take up new alternative instruments” he said.
To further underscore the importance of Islamic Sukuk, the governor hinted that the Prime Minister of United Kingdom, David Cameron, announced the plan to make London not just a capital for Islamic finance to the Western world, but one that would stand along side Dubai and Kuala Lumpur as one of the great capitals of Islamic finance, anywhere in the world.

“Last week, I was at the 9th World Islamic Economic Forum in London hosted by the UK Government and at that function, the Prime Minister, David Cameron, announced his government’s plan to make London not just a. capital for Islamic finance to the Western world, but one that would stand along side Dubai and Kuala Lumpur as one of the great capitals of Islamic finance, anywhere in the world.
The UK plans to do this through the issuance of an Islamic bond sukuk, worth 200 million GBP by the UK Government which it intends to do as early as next year. It also plans to create an islamic index on the London Stock Exchange for Shariah compliant securities to attract more islamic investors.

“The UK is embarking on this plan, despite the fact that it is a non-Islamic country which illustrates what we have been saying, that Islamic finance, though based on sharia, is a financial product with clear goals and it is accessible to all” he said.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/news2013/index.php/en/news/item/25722-fg-plans-use-of-islamic-bond-to-build-airports,-refineries.html
Re: FG To Use Islamic Bond To Build Airports, Refineries by Mckennedy: 2:04pm On Nov 07, 2013
Good development.
Re: FG To Use Islamic Bond To Build Airports, Refineries by olahero(m): 2:10pm On Nov 07, 2013
oluwashaddow: the Bible says my people perish because of lack of vision and I put lack of wisdom aswell,d likes of Qatar,Dubai n d rest build dere country with dis bond n dey are flourishing n many Christians rush dere to make money without any of dem banned from doing deir religion,so I see no reason y Nigeria shouldn't explore such opportunity,y xtrians sef no start Christianity banking?
Is no where to be found in their Book, my brother those guys will never leave being a disruptor, but in-sha-Allah it will later attract them and make them a true believers.
Re: FG To Use Islamic Bond To Build Airports, Refineries by soladisc: 2:11pm On Nov 07, 2013
lovat: There is no diffrence betwwen Islamic loans and other conventional loans. In the normal bank loans interest is stated while in Islamic loan interest is added up with the principal. For example if u want to make a high purchase of a goods worth #30000 in normal banking the goods will be sold with let's say a 10% interest which makes it #33000 while in Islamic banking the cost of the goods for high purchase will go outrightly for #33000. It ll now be spread over to seem as if there is no interest attached to it.

Please be guided! There are lots of differences between Islamic loans and conventional loans. Few of these I'll try to share with you.

1. Islamic finance is based based on profit and loss sharing while conventional loan does not care whether you make a loss let alone share it with you.
2. You cannot obtain Islamic loan and invest in Haram-e.g Alcohol, Cigarette, Beer e.t.c but you can obtain conventional loan and invest in anything e.g Alcohol, Cigarette provided the law allows it. I'm sure BATN, Breweries has loans with one or more Nigerian banks.
3. In conventional banking early payment means you avoid payment of interest that will be due in future, thereby reducing interest income to the bank, whereas in Islamic finance the profit from the venture will be shared based on an agreed percentage whether the loan is repaid the following day it was taken or after a year.
Re: FG To Use Islamic Bond To Build Airports, Refineries by confusion247(m): 2:58pm On Nov 07, 2013
oguash: if this is what will make the economy grow, so be it. one of the problem i have with this Jonathan administration is the tribal and religion divide we have. Ayo oritsejafor and co have greatly succeeded in creating a big divide in this country and if we must grow , we must learn to tolerate one another. Mathew hassan Kuka is a great and shining example an average Christian is to emulate. my problem with dis govt also is that they are always quick to borrow and the money ends up in pocket of a very few politician instead of using it for its purpose.
Then boko haram is doing a good job in uniting Nigeria. Soon you will blame CAN and its president for over 10 million almajiris in northern Nigeria. Kindly tell other Muslims to tolerate other religions.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Why Is Rivers State Sea Port Underutilised While Lagos Suffers From Congestion? / Sanwo-Olu: Lagos To Lay 4th Mainland Bridge Foundation Before End Of 2021 / Fuel Price Hike: Business Operators Panic, Fear Shutdown, Job Losses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.