Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,840 members, 7,817,485 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:02 PM

How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? (18646 Views)

Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? / How Many Languages Do You Speak Fluently? / How Many Languages Do You Know? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by ayos82: 9:25pm On Nov 09, 2013
French, dutch, Russian,polish,English,yoruba,igbo all fluently
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by Joshpet1(m): 9:32pm On Nov 09, 2013
I can speak igbo Yoruba English n pidgin fluently But Chinese Japanese partially undecided undecided
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by Afam4eva(m): 9:33pm On Nov 09, 2013
lacicrips:
There's been so many arguments here and offline about your argument. I always try to steer clear off of them.

I'm ika, and I can't say I don't understand the igbo language, I do. I'm always of the opinion that people should be left to choose/decide where they want to belong to or rather where they believe they originated from. And majority of them have vehemently rejected the Igbo origin. And I believe it's for a good reason; trying to create an identity for themselves. I know if you ask me, I'll tell you I'm not igbo.
I'm referring to the Igbo language and not Igbo origin. I'm also tired of the endless Ika-Igbo argument. So, i'm not for or against the fact whether Ikas are Igbo or not as far as this thread is concerned, i'm only referring to the fact that knowing how to speak Ika and mainstream Igbo shouldn't be soo much of an achievement because it's like speaking different dialects or a language. Note that i said language and not ethnic group.
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by VictorAB: 9:38pm On Nov 09, 2013
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by kandeyc(m): 9:40pm On Nov 09, 2013
I'm a production engineer by profession,but I love languages ... English,Esan,yoruba,isoko,ibo,ijaw,french,and I'm learning madarin....Hope 2 update u'all on my progress.
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by Mekky2010: 9:48pm On Nov 09, 2013
Spanish, Russian, Igbo, Yoruba (not so well) and seriously interested in Chinese
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by Mekky2010: 9:50pm On Nov 09, 2013
ayos82: French, dutch, Russian,polish,English,yoruba,igbo all fluently

Kak delo?
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by kid7soccer(m): 9:57pm On Nov 09, 2013
It a shame for me to say dis, i can only speak english and pigin english. Am from delta (delta Igbo) have leaved my hole life in calabar, i cant speak my lang or even efik lang, my bros and sis can speak dis lang well. it really bad i feel like am wired.
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by adonismuller(m): 9:59pm On Nov 09, 2013
OPIA jesus: English, igbo, kwale, ukwuani nd 10,598 others
bros there's no language like kwale..its called ukwani,kwale is a town!.....Ajeh sir

1 Like

Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by Excel23: 10:02pm On Nov 09, 2013
Krio, pidgin, english,
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by Fulaman198(m): 10:03pm On Nov 09, 2013
Tunjman:

Noi Bandu?

jam bandu, e an? noy sare?
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by Fulaman198(m): 10:04pm On Nov 09, 2013
kishimi8:
kaayeefi,,,,
toye yuudon

Mi yuwi Adamawa ha lessdi Mayo Belwa.
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by Fulaman198(m): 10:05pm On Nov 09, 2013
ademega: Fufude , yoruba and i can speak in tongue as well (heavenly language )

A jaamo dedirawo?
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by Excel23: 10:09pm On Nov 09, 2013
Mekky2010:
Kak delo?
khorosho
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by lacicrips(m): 10:11pm On Nov 09, 2013
Afam4eva:
I'm referring to the Igbo language and not Igbo origin. I'm also tired of the endless Ika-Igbo argument. So, i'm not for or against the fact whether Ikas are Igbo or not as far as this thread is concerned, i'm only referring to the fact that knowing how to speak Ika and mainstream Igbo shouldn't be soo much of an achievement because it's like speaking different dialects or a language. Note that i said language and not ethnic group.
It shouldn't. I'm yet to meet an ika/ukwuani person who can't speak or understand core igbo. They're almost similar. Although most igbo people find it difficult to comprehend the ika/ukwuani language. Weird, huh?
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by Handsomeemmy(m): 10:13pm On Nov 09, 2013
Yoruba(my language) Hausa, partially igbo
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by Afam4eva(m): 10:26pm On Nov 09, 2013
lacicrips:
It shouldn't. I'm yet to meet an ika/ukwuani person who can't speak or understand core igbo. They're almost similar. Although most igbo people find it difficult to comprehend the ika/ukwuani language. Weird, huh?
It's not weird cos what you call Igbo is actually Central Igbo that most people from the Igboid speaking tribes understand but most of them have their own dialect. For example, what you call Igbo is actually not my dialect. There are people from my town that find it hard to communicate in Igbo(central). What i've noticed is that people from Ika, Ukwuani and some parts of Anioma always think the Igbos in the South-East speak the same language. We just addopted that Igbo for easy communication with other Igbo groups. I'm sure you won't understand my dialect easily just as i won't understand Ika or Ukwuani easily.
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by Nobody: 11:14pm On Nov 09, 2013
the only language I want to understand is "money", that's the best language anyone can ever learn
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by phurlabby(m): 11:23pm On Nov 09, 2013
berryldilty: English, Igbo, Yoruba but not fluent and French. je suis parlez fraincais

Scratch that french mehn, no offence meant but it's Je parle francais, n my knowledge of french is minimal.

Je parle un petit peu francais grin

1 Like

Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by OPIAjesus: 11:30pm On Nov 09, 2013
lacicrips:
Is that a question?

I spent majority of my pre-teen in the village. Infact I practically grew up there. I farmed a lot too.

Your name "opia" is a very popular name back home.
ok be specific na the place cheesy
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by OPIAjesus: 11:32pm On Nov 09, 2013
Dele
adonismuller: bros there's no language like kwale..its called ukwani,kwale is a town!.....Ajeh sir
nor blame me jare. Am nt a nigerian. Nt ma fault
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by Fulaman198(m): 11:34pm On Nov 09, 2013
OPIA jesus: Dele nor blame me jare. Am nt a nigerian. Nt ma fault

Are you Ghanaian? you write like a Nigerian
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by DonaldGenes(m): 12:31am On Nov 10, 2013
Spanish
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by Beey(f): 3:21am On Nov 10, 2013
Zairois: a decent amount of Swahili ( Shaba Swahili) and a couple words in french loool
lol.Which is Shana Swahili?I speak Swahili too.
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by Beey(f): 3:25am On Nov 10, 2013
I speak Swahili, Kikuyu,English and pidgin.
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by onibudojuba: 3:26am On Nov 10, 2013
Spanish 60% , Hausa 25%, English and Yoruba 100%
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by Beey(f): 3:32am On Nov 10, 2013
Zairois: a decent amount of Swahili ( Shaba Swahili) and a couple words in french loool
lol.Which is Shaba Swahili?I speak Swahili too.
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by femliany(m): 5:40am On Nov 10, 2013
spasibo xopowo/ horoso
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by Yusphull(m): 6:07am On Nov 10, 2013
I can speak 7 Languages.. Yoruba (Native Lang), English, Pidgin, Arabic, French, Hausa & German (Learner)..
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by theguy12(m): 6:26am On Nov 10, 2013
#me@:
Why dem ebira com plenty here now.
a question was asked instead of you to write the one you can speak fluently or partially, you too asked another question different from mr. Op own
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by UltimateJoseph: 6:40am On Nov 10, 2013
Nadia_SA1: Afrikaans
Zulu
Siswati
Hopefully nt a Nigerian
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by Nobody: 6:50am On Nov 10, 2013
i speak yoruba nd pidgin fluently.i dont like being too serious so i speak more of those

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Emir Sanusi Wants To Stop Poor Men From Marrying More Than One Wife / Mixed Nigerians with maternal Nigerian ancestry / Abdulrasheed Adewale Akanbi-Telu Visits Obasanjo In Abeokuta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.