Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,602 members, 7,809,188 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:44 AM

Nigeria Overtakes South-Africa As Continent's Largest Economy - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria Overtakes South-Africa As Continent's Largest Economy (23858 Views)

Angola Overtakes Nigeria In Crude Oil Production / Africa’s Largest Economy, Nigeria, Drops In Global Competitiveness Ranking / Nigeria Hopes To Topple South Africa As Africa's Largest Economy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Overtakes South-Africa As Continent's Largest Economy by daylae(m): 1:59pm On Nov 09, 2013
Raggedy_Ann:

How do you figure? Are there other statistics that could enlighten us? According to the stats on which the Prof bases his opinion, there was an 8 percent growth in the oil sector and a corresponding 6.6 percent growth in the economy. This means that other sectors (which we should identify) are not growing at the same rate and thus pulling back the average.

The point we should be focused on is the fact that despite evident economic growth, unemployment is still on the rise. As already pointed out, we should invest hard in sectors that have the potential to create more jobs.

It is a good thing that we are experiencing growth, the obvious problem though is that this growth is driven by the oil sector which is not sustainable. The oil revenue should be used to grow other sectors like agriculture and tourism.
thought so too,don't know why he had to differ.
Re: Nigeria Overtakes South-Africa As Continent's Largest Economy by Melancholy(m): 2:00pm On Nov 09, 2013
lovat: How do they always come about this indices with BRT still #120 and a lot of NL jobless.
yea, that is what the professor said outrightly concerning unemployment and that upsurge in oil sector been the major sector that's increasing our percentage in development growth,but sadly much manpower are not employed and our leader didn't distribute the revenue gotten from it to development other sector of the economy.I think this reaffirmation of madam okonjo's statement "our enomy is growing".
Re: Nigeria Overtakes South-Africa As Continent's Largest Economy by HOTsnow(m): 2:02pm On Nov 09, 2013
Not again...This is the biggest trash iv read in recent time.
Nigeria is arrogantly lagging behind South Africa in all spheres.
Education: This vital sector is supposed to build thr youths...the youths bn the future of the country, The Nigerian educational system/sector is in shambles!..SA has the best universities in africa and a couple of these universities in top 100 in the world...
Power sector:..I don't need to strain myself on this cos I'm sure over 99% of people reading this are in d darkness or running on generator...The sharp opp is the case in SA.
Governance/Political system: south africa bn a member of BRICS says it all.
Don't let us talk abt the Health sector, Aviation sector, etc
......I save my ink at this point, but I'd like to outline *hilariously*, some major points.
- how many of you graduates in Nigeria no experience ASUU strike wen u dey university.
-How many hours una dey get light for your ause.
-after u graduate finish, if u no sabi person, NO WORK..lest I forget companies for naija now na Contract/temporary staff dem dey take now oo.
-Na for naija one politician go dey embezzle millions *openly* and the *archaic* law no go fit nab am.
- Na naija get oil and gas plenty bt how many of una fit afford gas cooker for ause talkless of kerosene.
- Na for naija, dem lecturers they teach frm books*old theories* witout practical, Imagine a computer science Graduate wey no fit use computer. Well shebi d so called Professors of Electrical engineering sef no fit couple an automobile, na so so quotations frm old texts...smh
-na naija first lady get office and naija hard earned money accrued to her.,
-na naija a performing National team coach no get over 9mnths salary*smh*

Caveat: the educational system which to me is the key in any country builds the leaders of tmrw, engages in researches and ground breaking discoveries in all spheres, thus leading to quality growth. Bt then the FG is busy ignoring the striking Universities as if the sector means nothing...smh. If you are a Nigerian graduate, Make sure you build yourself for the outside world.
.....Pls Abeg help me add d rest...hand dey pain me.....

*Pls Pls Pls..Mr Prof save us dose craps* cool

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Overtakes South-Africa As Continent's Largest Economy by Nobody: 2:02pm On Nov 09, 2013
Well, SA can also rebase its economy, though Nigeria's informal sector dwarfs SA's, it's still significant. One other thing to take into account is that Nigeria's growth rate will decrease by more than 50% after rebasing.
Re: Nigeria Overtakes South-Africa As Continent's Largest Economy by Jabioro: 2:03pm On Nov 09, 2013
Am cryin ! Many false datas,statement and parameter are r being put 2geda 2 deceive us..NAIRALANDER I pity dis nation.
Re: Nigeria Overtakes South-Africa As Continent's Largest Economy by Nobody: 2:07pm On Nov 09, 2013
eddiebruk: I cannot believe Nigerians enjoy celebrating lies and silly propaganda, this is what Nigerians like, Prophesy, E-lies and Government Unfaithfulness, our mind are the most easy to deceive and this is the result of it, the only thing Nigeria can boast of as being ahead of SA is Population and Landmass , the rest are no match to be compared to with SA. if you like quote me and say rubbish, it is non of my business.

Nigeria's landmass is smaller than South Africa's though it does have more arable land. The
Re: Nigeria Overtakes South-Africa As Continent's Largest Economy by ckkris: 2:08pm On Nov 09, 2013
taharqa: By d way, d so-called Prof is wrong. It is d non-Oil, and not d Oil, sector that hv been driving Nigeria's growth in recent years
The non-oil sector will accelerate (V), by surprising co-deficient multiplier, when reasonable power supply pushes aggregate demand (D). And that's exactly the agenda President Jonathan is pursuing, without saying so, obviously to minimise sabotage. Emphasis on MINIMISE.
Re: Nigeria Overtakes South-Africa As Continent's Largest Economy by solomon111(m): 2:09pm On Nov 09, 2013
ZZar: Well, SA can also rebase its economy, though Nigeria's informal sector dwarfs SA's, it's still significant. One other thing to take into account is that Nigeria's growth rate will decrease by more than 50% after rebasing.
Southafrica has already rebased her economy with modern index.
There's nothing to rebase again.
Btw,Nigeria's economy will actually increase after rebasing.
Re: Nigeria Overtakes South-Africa As Continent's Largest Economy by crackhaus: 2:09pm On Nov 09, 2013
Phder: Nigerians can be compared to a really sad individual, who thinks drinking pure table sugar can help heal his sadness. Obviously he's going to die faster; not of sadness but of some other disease associated with high sugar intake.
grin grin grin
Strong!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Overtakes South-Africa As Continent's Largest Economy by ckkris: 2:12pm On Nov 09, 2013
Jabioro: Am cryin ! Many false datas,statement and parameter are r being put 2geda 2 deceive us..NAIRALANDER I pity dis nation.
Not false, if you can take the time to linearise available data.
Re: Nigeria Overtakes South-Africa As Continent's Largest Economy by solomon111(m): 2:13pm On Nov 09, 2013
That the Nigerian economy is growing is very very true.
The problem is that it's not growing fast enough to match the huge Nigerian population,especially with corruption at state and govt levels gulping the increased wealth.
Re: Nigeria Overtakes South-Africa As Continent's Largest Economy by Nobody: 2:15pm On Nov 09, 2013
solomon111: Southafrica has already rebased her economy with modern index.
There's nothing to rebase again.
Btw,Nigeria's economy will actually increase after rebasing.

No it hasn't. Economy will increase, but the growth rate will decrease.
Re: Nigeria Overtakes South-Africa As Continent's Largest Economy by Nobody: 2:16pm On Nov 09, 2013
ode remo: Op is working for rosssike . grin

was looking for rossike as the op wink
Re: Nigeria Overtakes South-Africa As Continent's Largest Economy by solomon111(m): 2:17pm On Nov 09, 2013
ZZar:

No it hasn't. Economy will increase, but the growth rate will decrease.
what do you mean it hasn't.?
Unlike the southafrican economy,the Nigerian economy holds huge potential for growth.
Re: Nigeria Overtakes South-Africa As Continent's Largest Economy by wazobiaN9(m): 2:19pm On Nov 09, 2013
taharqa: By d way, d so-called Prof is wrong. It is d non-Oil, and not d Oil, sector that hv been driving Nigeria's growth in recent years

Then we can also safely say that most part of the information is inaccurate and misleading, which I think it is.
Re: Nigeria Overtakes South-Africa As Continent's Largest Economy by chineloSA(f): 2:20pm On Nov 09, 2013
China is ahead of Australia and Canada in terms of GDP.
But Australia and Canada are ahead of China in terms of HDI ( Human development Index ).

People in Australia and Canada live a better life, and different standard of living as compared to people in China regardless of the size of the economy oo .

The Economy may have increased in size, but there may have been slight change or no change in HDI

SO ITS POSSIBLE PEOPLE. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy Be optimistic for once.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Overtakes South-Africa As Continent's Largest Economy by solomon111(m): 2:21pm On Nov 09, 2013
oyb:

was looking for rossike as the op wink
Rossikke is an optimistic human being.
He's the kind of guy that hits a goldmine when nobody else can see it coming.
Just like those guys that bought land in abuja in the early 70s when it was an arid wasteland.
Re: Nigeria Overtakes South-Africa As Continent's Largest Economy by ITbomb(m): 2:23pm On Nov 09, 2013
Someone should show this to Ngozi to start creating more jobs instead of fanning herself everyday about macroeconomic index
So even as the economy's growing in Nigeria, unemployment is actually growing at the same time, which is the result of the fact that growth is taking place in sectors that are not creating employment. So this is a major, major problem for Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Overtakes South-Africa As Continent's Largest Economy by AkoloPeters(m): 2:26pm On Nov 09, 2013
Nigeria is actually growing let's just b hopeful dat one day d economy will right d wrong automatically witout depending on some leaders dat can fail us. This present government is trying, it needs our support n cooperation dat's all.
Re: Nigeria Overtakes South-Africa As Continent's Largest Economy by obiokey2001: 2:27pm On Nov 09, 2013
Okonjo- Iweala is the best economist in the world.
Re: Nigeria Overtakes South-Africa As Continent's Largest Economy by solomon111(m): 2:28pm On Nov 09, 2013
ITbomb:
Someone should show this to Ngozi to start creating more jobs instead of fanning herself everyday about macroeconomic index
The solution to Nigeria is jobs,jobs and More jobs.
Unfortunately,we don't support locally-made goods.
Look at the way nairaland was fuming at the proposed ban of imported vehicles.
Re: Nigeria Overtakes South-Africa As Continent's Largest Economy by ckkris: 2:30pm On Nov 09, 2013
Oghos1: undecided sit back, relax and watch nlanders make ignorant comments about d topic.

Especially those that will refuse to factor in Nigeria's increasing agricultural produce, which impacts directly on 80% of the population. Its also convenient to overlook the fact that 90% of the economy of SA is in the hands of 2%, and doesn't help their people.
Re: Nigeria Overtakes South-Africa As Continent's Largest Economy by drnoel: 2:30pm On Nov 09, 2013
Ayam_Kay: Until i begin dey see 24 hour power supply for my area, I NO AGREE angry
Sad truth but thatz reality
Re: Nigeria Overtakes South-Africa As Continent's Largest Economy by Sike(m): 2:30pm On Nov 09, 2013
Na lie jor!
Re: Nigeria Overtakes South-Africa As Continent's Largest Economy by solomon111(m): 2:34pm On Nov 09, 2013
ckkris: Especially those that will refuse to factor in Nigeria's increasing agricultural produce, which impacts directly on 80% of the population. Its also convenient to overlook the fact that 90% of the economy of SA is in the hands of 2%, and doesn't help their people.
True,the agricultural sector is silently becoming a behemoth.
Adesina should begin to explore the entire value chain to create jobs.
We should begin to export tin-tomatoes instead of tomatoes.
Re: Nigeria Overtakes South-Africa As Continent's Largest Economy by ckkris: 2:34pm On Nov 09, 2013
Akolo Peters:

one day d economy will right d wrong automatically witout depending on some leaders

Sir, I take God beg you, do you expect Nairaland tribal economists to understand this?
Re: Nigeria Overtakes South-Africa As Continent's Largest Economy by iterator25: 2:42pm On Nov 09, 2013
voltron: truly nigeria has overtaken SA in utter couuption, buffoon president and SS/SW godfathers who need brain sugeries ahead of every election, we have the largest economies of brain-dead sycophants especially on nl @op is one i guess
your father
Re: Nigeria Overtakes South-Africa As Continent's Largest Economy by werepeLeri: 2:43pm On Nov 09, 2013
All people want to hear to make them happy are stories that talk about Nigeria being a failed state.
Re: Nigeria Overtakes South-Africa As Continent's Largest Economy by ckkris: 2:43pm On Nov 09, 2013
solomon111: True,the agricultural sector is silently becoming a behemoth.
Adesina should begin to explore the entire value chain to create jobs.
We should begin to export tin-tomatoes instead of tomatoes.
Adeshina is obviously working to meet domestic demand, first. Rice, Fish, and for the first time in history, YAM harvests of 2012 were in the market until September 2013. If this outcome is achieved in five consecutive years, Ade's plans B & C may become visible.
Re: Nigeria Overtakes South-Africa As Continent's Largest Economy by iterator25: 2:48pm On Nov 09, 2013
Nigeria's hasn't rebased her GDP, so, technically it's overtaken SA if the projections for increase is definite.. SA still remains developed than Nigeria but we've laid the foundations already .. so, if you have problems with the news, kill yourself sad

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Overtakes South-Africa As Continent's Largest Economy by mercurie(f): 2:50pm On Nov 09, 2013
bright007: fresh air till 2019

So after 2019, Nigeria won't have fresh air again?
Re: Nigeria Overtakes South-Africa As Continent's Largest Economy by iterator25: 2:51pm On Nov 09, 2013
HOTsnow: Not again...This is the biggest trash iv read in recent time.
Nigeria is arrogantly lagging behind South Africa in all spheres.
Education: This vital sector is supposed to build thr youths...the youths bn the future of the country, The Nigerian educational system/sector is in shambles!..SA has the best universities in africa and a couple of these universities in top 100 in the world...
Power sector:..I don't need to strain myself on this cos I'm sure over 99% of people reading this are in d darkness or running on generator...The sharp opp is the case in SA.
Governance/Political system: south africa bn a member of BRICS says it all.
Don't let us talk abt the Health sector, Aviation sector, etc
......I save my ink at this point, but I'd like to outline *hilariously*, some major points.
- how many of you graduates in Nigeria no experience ASUU strike wen u dey university.
-How many hours una dey get light for your ause.
-after u graduate finish, if u no sabi person, NO WORK..lest I forget companies for naija now na Contract/temporary staff dem dey take now oo.
-Na for naija one politician go dey embezzle millions *openly* and the *archaic* law no go fit nab am.
- Na naija get oil and gas plenty bt how many of una fit afford gas cooker for ause talkless of kerosene.
- Na for naija, dem lecturers they teach frm books*old theories* witout practical, Imagine a computer science Graduate wey no fit use computer. Well shebi d so called Professors of Electrical engineering sef no fit couple an automobile, na so so quotations frm old texts...smh
-na naija first lady get office and naija hard earned money accrued to her.,
-na naija a performing National team coach no get over 9mnths salary*smh*

Caveat: the educational system which to me is the key in any country builds the leaders of tmrw, engages in researches and ground breaking discoveries in all spheres, thus leading to quality growth. Bt then the FG is busy ignoring the striking Universities as if the sector means nothing...smh. If you are a Nigerian graduate, Make sure you build yourself for the outside world.
.....Pls Abeg help me add d rest...hand dey pain me.....

*Pls Pls Pls..Mr Prof save us dose craps* cool
wasted sperm.. the article says Nigeria has overtaken SA hence she rebase her GDP.. infrastructural Development is different from gross domestic product.. please just kill yourself

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I'm Not A Co-owner Of Execujet - Dangote / How To Register A Business In Nigeria / Can Someone Steal Your Money If They Have Access To Your BVN?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.