Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,479 members, 7,954,862 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 11:04 AM

Yoruba's And Fish Head - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba's And Fish Head (7457 Views)

Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. / Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers / Marriage between Yoruba And Igbo people On The Rise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba's And Fish Head by semid4lyfe(m): 7:48am On Jul 16, 2008
Shoo!Na real wa o!Its like I've really ruffled some feathers with this topic.
Look,my guys it wasn't my intention 2 start any tribal bashing or any thing like that,so u guys coolu temper and go easy with d replies although I must confess I'm loving the back and forth.2 answer some questions I ain't
AA and it wasn't as if I never asked my friends why they liked it so much,I did but their replies where always ''I JUST LIKE IT'' which is really no reply at all.
@Queenisha if u really feel d way u do about this topic,u're not exhibiting WISDOM by posting on this thread,I rest my case.ONE LOVE.
Re: Yoruba's And Fish Head by davidif: 4:08pm On Jul 16, 2008
@poster
that's true, they did that in my family when i was a child.
Re: Yoruba's And Fish Head by lucabrasi(m): 6:21pm On Jul 16, 2008
@sisi kill
wow, wow and im the one taking things personal, anyway no vex o,like i said i get your own preference and that up to you,i have showed you the particular and only paragraphs i though ill correct in case a non nigerian was going through the thread,and trying to remove the ethnic connotation there
like i said before and pls this is my own personal opinion o,the fact that i dont eat pig meat,snails e.t.c i wont tell the people that do that its disgusting and yadayada yada
Re: Yoruba's And Fish Head by Sisikill: 8:58pm On Jul 16, 2008
@ Lucabrasi

Yep! Give it up for heterogeneity!!

It IS what makes life such fun! fun! fun!

Oh can you imagine how utterly boring life would be if all acted the same way?

Jeebus! What a scary, scary thought

Nothin' personal my cyber friend.

Just cearing things up, is all.

See you around!
Re: Yoruba's And Fish Head by tpia: 9:26pm On Jul 16, 2008
Its not that serious.

I didnt even understand most of your first post, @ sisikill.

I was more concerned with Negro's applying that proverb to eating fish head.
Re: Yoruba's And Fish Head by Sisikill: 9:54pm On Jul 16, 2008
The entire thread was not supposed to be taken seriously.

I mean. . . it is about fish head.

I'm still quite amazed at the kinda responses some topics get.

Fish Head. . . LMAO.
Re: Yoruba's And Fish Head by lucabrasi(m): 10:16pm On Jul 16, 2008
Sisikill:

@ Lucabrasi

Yep! Give it up for heterogeneity!!

It IS what makes life such fun! fun! fun!

Oh can you imagine how utterly boring life would be if all acted the same way?

Jeebus! What a scary, scary thought

Nothin' personal my cyber friend.

Just cearing things up, is all.

See you around!
exactly,people eating fish head or not and their ethnicity shouldnt be taken personal neither should it warrant an elaborate analysis,you dont like it i love it no worries,there are worse things we africans stuff in our mouths right? smiley
nothing personal as well
tpia:

Its not that serious.

I didnt even understand most of your first post, @ sisikill.

I was more concerned with Negro's applying that proverb to eating fish head.
exactly what i bn tryna say o,one african's guinea brocade is another oyibo's curtain or table cloth both important to them but diffrent use grin
Re: Yoruba's And Fish Head by motunrayo4(f): 10:20pm On Jul 16, 2008
lucabrasi:

exactly,people eating fish head or not and their ethnicity shouldnt be taken personal neither should it warrant an elaborate analysis,you don't like it i love it no worries,there are worse things we africans stuff in our mouths right? smiley
nothing personal as wellexactly what i bn trying to say o,one african's guinea brocade is another oyibo's curtain or table cloth both important to them but diffrent use grin
[/quote

LOL. . . .I thought I was the only one that came to that conclusion.
Re: Yoruba's And Fish Head by NegroNtns(m): 1:28am On Jul 17, 2008
tpia,

1. The discussion is "Yoruba men eating cooked fish head".
2. In response, I pulled a Yoruba proverb on fish head.
3. Applied the proverb in context of why it is a noble cause to eat fish head.
4. You responded by saying my interpretation of the proverb was wrong.
5. You offered another explanation for the proverb _ the correct version!

How does your offer of the correct version answer to the topic? If it does not, how is somebody wrong that attempted to apply a proverbial saying on fish head to answer to the topic?

Again, I maintain that Africans are notorious for skipping vision in favor of academic righteousness and with your responses you are accurately substantiating my claim.
Re: Yoruba's And Fish Head by Queenisha: 1:35am On Jul 17, 2008
Fish head I can even manage.You may find a piece of flesh if you search well grin.The one I couldn't stand even as a kid was the walking legs of a chicken.
Tufiakwa!!
Scaly things with large tendons and 5 claws.
How does one even begin to eat them?
Terrifying for a kid if you ask me.
Re: Yoruba's And Fish Head by Nobody: 1:37am On Jul 17, 2008
try eating the head of a big sardine fish! Awesome . . . try the eyes, brain, the flesh just behind the head close to the neck, the spinal cord (chew the bone first) and the rubbery flesh on the mouth area. smiley
Re: Yoruba's And Fish Head by Queenisha: 1:41am On Jul 17, 2008
Tufiakwa david
all these happiness for fish head
what will you do when you eat isi ewu?
Re: Yoruba's And Fish Head by Nobody: 1:49am On Jul 17, 2008
I will be out of commission for as long as the isi ewu is still on the plate.
Re: Yoruba's And Fish Head by tpia: 2:03am On Jul 17, 2008
Negro_Ntns:

tpia,

1. The discussion is "Yoruba men eating cooked fish head".
2. In response, I pulled a Yoruba proverb on fish head.
3. Applied the proverb in context of why it is a noble cause to eat fish head.
4. You responded by saying my interpretation of the proverb was wrong.
5. You offered another explanation for the proverb _ the correct version!

How does your offer of the correct version answer to the topic? If it does not, how is somebody wrong that attempted to apply a proverbial saying on fish head to answer to the topic?

Again, I maintain that Africans are notorious for skipping vision in favor of academic righteousness and with your responses you are accurately substantiating my claim.

you don't seem to have read my response here:

And once again, I do not think the proverb applies to eating fish. You are confirming the OP's ridiculous statement that eating fish head is a culture and tradition among Yorubas.  Since they even have proverbs describing the best way to eat fish head. I disagree. Unless its a culture in some parts of Yoruba that I'm not familiar with.

neither is it about political correctness. Its about the OP's reason for starting this thread, which he tried to explain but which I still don't get. undecided

In any other context but this one, your translation wouldnt have raised questions.

The proverb's metaphorical meaning is: the head is the most important part to control. When you control the head (the mind), you control something/someone's power/the center of power. Not so with the tail.

I'm done. Assume whatever you want. undecided

@ lucabrasi
one african's guinea brocade is another oyibo's curtain or table cloth both important to them but diffrent use

eh, I can never forget my embarassment as a kid, when we had guinea brocade curtains, back when guinea was used exclusively as native attire, in Nigeria. I don't know if my dad was trying to be "hip" or something. I kept wondering why the man couldnt buy flowery or plain designs like everyone else. cool
Re: Yoruba's And Fish Head by KarmaMod(f): 2:18am On Jul 17, 2008
Queenisha:

Fish head I can even manage.You may find a piece of flesh if you search well grin.The one I couldn't stand even as a kid was the walking legs of a chicken.
Tufiakwa!!
Scaly things with large tendons and 5 claws.
How does one even begin to eat them?
Terrifying for a kid if you ask me.

Same here. i really hate the legs of chicken. Dont find the point of it even being in stew
Re: Yoruba's And Fish Head by Queenisha: 2:22am On Jul 17, 2008
KarmaMod:

Same here. i really hate the legs of chicken. Dont find the point of it even being in stew

To add to the quantity cry cry cry

The other thing I hated was chicken head especially the red flaming thing on the head of the fowl.
ewwwwwwwwwwwww
disgusting
I  would remember how flies would be perching on it when the chicken was alive and I felt like throwing up when I saw it in the stew
Re: Yoruba's And Fish Head by KarmaMod(f): 2:24am On Jul 17, 2008
Lmao when I was younger when my mom would make stew I would hide the head and feet and throw it out later at night. My mom would be looking for it and I'd just act like I didn't know what the hell she was talking about tongue

Now I jsut don't add it at all. No one can question me anymore angry
Re: Yoruba's And Fish Head by Queenisha: 2:30am On Jul 17, 2008
KarmaMod:

Lmao when I was younger when my mom would make stew I would hide the head and feet and throw it out later at night. My mom would be looking for it and I'd just act like I don't know what the hell she was talking about tongue

Now I jsut don't add it at all. No one can question me anymore angry

why didn't I know someone like you as a kid
I would have saved myself all the trauma of beholding chicken head in the stew
My mother wuld have looked for her chicken heads and legs taya
Re: Yoruba's And Fish Head by Queenisha: 2:34am On Jul 17, 2008
how about watching the chicken being killed.
It's a miracle I didn't end up in years of therapy from watching chicken being murdered and thrown into hot water. grin
Some won't even be fully dead and they'll be struggling to jump out of the basin.
Very traumatic way to die.
I remember one time my cousins caught the chicken and plucked all it's feathers out while it was still allive and left it to walk around naked for a while before killing it.

The worst of all was watching them kill goats at Christmas
I can still remember the looks on their faces and how they cried with near human voices,those goats
Re: Yoruba's And Fish Head by omoge(f): 2:39am On Jul 17, 2008
i am tired of laughing grin grin grin

@ Queenisha
Re: Yoruba's And Fish Head by KarmaMod(f): 2:45am On Jul 17, 2008
Lmfao Osisi you are crazy

It's funny cos anytime they killed chicken I would leave. Once I knew it was gonan be killed, Im out, same with goats and cows

Cos once I see the whole "murder", there's no way I can eat it. All I'd think about is the NASTY smell when they are pulling the feathers and the blood and that just ruins my appetite.

Let them kill it and do all that shit, i just dont wanna see it

Ignorance is bliss o tongue
Re: Yoruba's And Fish Head by CH3COO(m): 2:49am On Jul 17, 2008
once you see the murder you won't eat. hmmph oompa. ebi o ti pa e ni. me and my brother would slaughter the chickens and eat them. became a rivarly with us and our neighbors. they steal our chicken, we steal theirs, our bellies stayed full.
Re: Yoruba's And Fish Head by NegroNtns(m): 3:07am On Jul 17, 2008
[quote)Lmao when I was younger when my mom would make stew I would hide the head and feet and throw it out later at night. My mom would be looking for it and I'd just act like I don't know what the hell she was talking about [quote][/quote]

Karmamod,
when you have children and ponmo and ese baban kano start to miss from the pot, at least you know its the return of KARMA grin
Re: Yoruba's And Fish Head by KarmaMod(f): 3:17am On Jul 17, 2008
Olodo it's []

I dont like panmo much anyway tongue Hopefully they'll take the chicken neck as well. grin
Re: Yoruba's And Fish Head by NegroNtns(m): 3:23am On Jul 17, 2008
tpia,

you don't seem to have read my response here:

And once again, I do not think the proverb applies to eating fish. You are confirming the OP's ridiculous statement that eating fish head is a culture and tradition among Yorubas. Since they even have proverbs describing the best way to eat fish head. I disagree. Unless its a culture in some parts of Yoruba that I'm not familiar with.

No, I did not, You should have warned me to put my palm wine bottle for a minute and pay attention, grin

Karma, I missed school the day quotation marks was thought in class. cheesy There is something you like, and the payback is coming for causing that woman's chicken head and legs to walk away miraculously grin
Re: Yoruba's And Fish Head by lucabrasi(m): 12:09pm On Jul 17, 2008
@tpia
i beg dont dare use our own sunday sunday costume for curtains o grin
Re: Yoruba's And Fish Head by jkpretty(f): 12:50pm On Jul 17, 2008
The last time i watched a chicken killed, i didn't eat out of it. Don't know what happened cos i have been eaten them b4, last time i watched a cat fish killed too i cldn't eat it too . . .don't know what's happening with me. I'm i getting emotional about animals undecided

Now i prefer frozen chicken . . .like , "i don't know when u were killed, so i'll just eat away"

@ Topic
Why shld u attached Yoruba men with Ori-eja

My mum is so in love with Ori-eja that she didn't give the rest of us the opportunity to share acquittance. So i know my brothers are not passionate about it.
Re: Yoruba's And Fish Head by Sisikill: 3:24pm On Jul 18, 2008
Chicken Leg & Head??

*gag*

What is there to even eat?

Is it the anus of chicken they warn makes person amebo? LMAO

God help us all.
Re: Yoruba's And Fish Head by shuppie(f): 10:08pm On Jul 20, 2008
dont know for the peeps that like fish heads, but i have some family members that re crazy about it,

my dad, my mum, my sis will fight u because of it, 2 of my aunts,
can't help but to wonder what's in it, undecided undecided undecided lipsrsealed
Re: Yoruba's And Fish Head by lucabrasi(m): 2:06am On Jul 21, 2008
ill fight for it as well if i was there,figh head hmmmnnnnn(drools, )
Re: Yoruba's And Fish Head by tamme: 4:37am On Oct 16, 2009
never knew that
Re: Yoruba's And Fish Head by semid4lyfe(m): 7:07am On Oct 17, 2009
So this thread is still alive? Na wa o!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Comprehensive Collection Of Early Igbo Novels, Plays, And Treatises / Cushite People / Drop Your Suggestions For Improving The Culture Section

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.