Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,993 members, 7,835,331 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:47 AM

Mary J In Nigeria - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Mary J In Nigeria (3047 Views)

Dbanj To Perform With Usher, Mary J. Blige At Global Citizen 2015 Earth Day / Mary J Blige Performing In Nigeria (Pictures) / Janet Jackson Vs Mary J Blige Who's Hiphop Queen? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mary J In Nigeria by Pataki: 2:17pm On Jul 16, 2008
londoner:

Most people I know drink bottled water rather than tap. Even in Nigeria, if someone offers you water to drink will it not usually be swan? Or do they get it from the tap? They give bottled water.
Most people I know drink tap water. Even in Nigeria, I was brought up with the mindset of always boiling your water before you drink it. You know very little about either the UK or even Nigeria. Pity sad

londoner:
Sweetie, I was born and raised in London, I think I should know. Most people I know here will have bottled water or at least filtered tap water to drink, especially with the amount of chlorine which is in it.
Hun, I was born and raised in Nigeria, I have worked with a State Water Corporation in Nigeria as an intern, and I am adequately knowledgeable to know what purification processes are ensured for safe water drinking within my own scope and territory. Do you know there are other methods of water treatment other than chlorination? Or is the UK still dancing on the chlorination of water? grin cheesy

londoner:
People can rant and rave all they like, the truth is that people are getting cholera etc in some places in Nigeria.
There was a report on an outbreak just yesterday.
I have lived in this Nigeria for years, I wonder why I never had this outbreak of cholera. Why do people fear what they can never understand and they are actually meant to be understood? cheesy grin cheesy

londoner:
I don't want to get sick in Nigeria at all.
cheesy grin cheesy Were you carrying a mosquito net with you everywhere you were going in Nigeria? grin cheesy grin Or you think water drinking is the only source of getting ill in Nigeria? grin

londoner:
No point getting upset about it, lol
I am not upset. tongue

londoner:
Its so funny how super sensitive Nigerians can be, lol

BTW I have no problem shitting in Nigeria, or enjoying the sun,
Good for you!!!!!!
Re: Mary J In Nigeria by londoner: 2:21pm On Jul 16, 2008
According to market analysts mintel, three out of five Londoners drink bottled water, thats sounds like most to me.

If you don't know about problems of cholera or typhoid in Nigeria than you walked around in your own little world with your ears and eyes closed.

The second biggest killer of children in Nigeria is illness from unsafe water. Did you know that?

The cholera outbreak I was referring to,
http://allafrica.com/stories/200807160172.html

Another recent cholera outbreak,
http://www.afrol.com/articles/28440

Typhoid in Nigeria.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vQPrSRSVflM

Food and drink Europe.com article based on mintel, market research.
There is also a distinct geographical divide, according to Mintel's research, with those adults living in the greater London area the most likely to drink bottled water, with three in every five Londoners doing so. On average, four in ten people all over the rest of the UK drink bottled water, ranging from 47 per cent in the south west down to 37 per cent in Yorkshire & Humberside.

http://www.foodanddrinkeurope.com/news/ng.asp?id=17830-bottled-water-growth
Re: Mary J In Nigeria by Seun(m): 2:25pm On Jul 16, 2008
Where are these statistics from?
Re: Mary J In Nigeria by KarmaMod(f): 2:51pm On Jul 16, 2008
Why are the Nigerian "brits" of the board so obsessed with defending England while bash Nigeria completely. It's kind of pathetic.

There's a big problem of E-COLI in the water of New Jersey. If you drive there, there's all sorts of signs flashing "Boil Water! Mandated To Boil Water Before Consumption!!!"

If this happened in England, most of these people here would still deny it. Calling it a "Nigerian thing", some are still denying mad Cow diease sef. Silly people.
Re: Mary J In Nigeria by londoner: 2:51pm On Jul 16, 2008
@ Pataki, I never carried a mosquito net around, I had anti malarial tablets that I brought from the UK, and had all my injections before going to Nigeria.

The first time I went to Nigeria as a youngster, I fell ill and on getting back to London spent three weeks hospitalised.
I don't joke with my health when I'm there.

@ Karmamod, there is no person in their right mind who would deny the outbreaks of ecoli/madcow, bird flu we have had in the UK, unlike some here, we dont front and live in denial.

Its not "Nigeria bashing" to tell the truth.
You confuse patriotism with denial.
Re: Mary J In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jul 16, 2008
Oh brother. . . tongue
Re: Mary J In Nigeria by Pataki: 2:53pm On Jul 16, 2008
@ londoner,

Funny how you are so determined to defend what is totally wrong. Most of the research conducted was done as a random survey with more emphasis on Restaurants and public places of eatery as case studies. I am placing my emphasis on homes while your links attribute theirs another different source of research.

And again in respect to Cholera outbreak, it occurred in the North, we all know there is a very low level of sanitation and hygiene in the North in comparison to the South. Will you also deny there are no occurrences of disease outbreak in certain parts of the UK? grin
Re: Mary J In Nigeria by Mustay(m): 2:56pm On Jul 16, 2008
Re: Mary J In Nigeria by Pataki: 2:57pm On Jul 16, 2008
@ londoner,

Are you oblivious to the outbreak of Foot and Mouth disease in the UK? Can you please remind me, what was the cause for it? Or should I refresh your memory on that? cheesy
Re: Mary J In Nigeria by londoner: 2:58pm On Jul 16, 2008
Is the north not Nigeria? Is the sanitary conditions in many places in Nigeria of an adequate standard?

Is typhoid unheard of anywhere else in Nigeria, ??

Stop living in denial.

I would never lie and say there are no disease oubreaks in the UK, or London. Whether bird flue, CJD, E-coli etc, and have not done that at all.

Thats what you are doing with Nigeria. trying to deny the problem of water born illnesses.

I will say again, most of the people I know in London drink bottled water, not tap water, thats fact. Take it or leave it.

lol, I've never seen so many get their knickers/in a twist over the truth.

I dont see how any of you can sit here and say that illnesses due to unsafe water is not an issue in Nigeria.
Re: Mary J In Nigeria by londoner: 3:02pm On Jul 16, 2008
Re: Mary J In Nigeria by KarmaMod(f): 3:02pm On Jul 16, 2008
Some of the diseases that people get from the dirty water in some places in Nigeria, are unheard of in london (or anywhere in the western world for that matter)

Are these not your words?

@ Karmamod, there is no person in their right mind who would deny the outbreaks of ecoli/madcow, bird flu we have had in the UK, unlike some here, we don't front and live in denial.

Btw since the water of the UK is supposedly pof "higher standards", why arent they drinking it from the tap? I mean you keep harping that people drink bottled water there. Why?
Re: Mary J In Nigeria by Mustay(m): 3:04pm On Jul 16, 2008
What are the purposes of the likes of 'water guard'?
Re: Mary J In Nigeria by londoner: 3:07pm On Jul 16, 2008
KarmaMod:

Are these not your words?

Btw since the water of the UK is supposedly pof "higher standards", why arent they drinking it from the tap? I mean you keep harping that people drink bottled water there. Why?

When did you hear me say the water is of higher standards, I clearly said that the Uk does not have water born diseases from unsafe water, and thats the truth.

People drink bottled water because of the hight chlorine content in the water, I said that earlier, you obviously missed it.

Now, you supply me with info on the water cholera and typhoid cases/outbreaks in the Uk please, thanks.

People don't really end up in hospital or dead from drinking the  water here.

Still no evidence provided by any of you that cholera, typhoid and other water born illnesses are not an issue/nonexistent in Nigeria, hmmmmm, I wonder why, lol
Re: Mary J In Nigeria by Pataki: 3:10pm On Jul 16, 2008
londoner:

I will say again, most of the people I know in London drink bottled water, not tap water, thats fact. Take it or leave it.
Here is a link to show how what you are saying was done.

londoner:

Is the north not Nigeria? Is the sanitary conditions in many places in Nigeria of an adequate standard?

Is typhoid unheard of anywhere else in Nigeria, ??

Stop living in denial.

I would never lie and say there are no disease oubreaks in the UK, or London. Whether bird flue, CJD, E-coli etc, and have not done that at all.

Thats what you are doing with Nigeria. trying to deny the problem of water born illnesses.

I am not living in denial, and it is a pity you are highly ignorant of things. I have lived in Nigeria and had good sanitary conditions. How do you beat that? In the same Nigeria, for more than five years, I have never had a single occurrence of Malaria, never known what is called typhoid or cholera, all due to a personal hygiene which unfortunately people like you are ignorant of!

Your arguments are highly twisted. One you were shouting Disease outbreak in Nigeria, making it sound like it was all over the country, only for you post your link and it showed that what you were talking of, happened in Zamfara in the North on Nigeria. I basically explained why it happened to be so, you bounce back telling me am living in denial.
Re: Mary J In Nigeria by KarmaMod(f): 3:13pm On Jul 16, 2008
londoner:

W
Still no evidence provided by any of you that cholera, typhoid and other water born illnesses are not an issue/nonexistent in Nigeria, hmmmmm, I wonder why, lol

Why would I deny that It happens. I'm quite aware of it but I'm not foolish enough to be screaming that it only happens in Nigeria esp with the situation of New Jersey right now.

Unlike the so called Brits here I don't feel the need to bash Nigeria to uplift another country despite living here way longer than I ever lived in Nigeria.
Re: Mary J In Nigeria by Pataki: 3:14pm On Jul 16, 2008
londoner:

To help stop climate change.
Absolute balderdash!

Do you know that. . . . .

[list]
[li]Most bottled water is siphoned into PET (polyethylene terephthalate) bottles in the UK [/li]
[li]It takes 162g of oil and seven litres of water (including power plant cooling water) just to manufacture a one-litre bottle[/li]
[/list]
Re: Mary J In Nigeria by Pataki: 3:20pm On Jul 16, 2008
londoner:

What is there to deny on it? Even when the last G8 meeting was still geared towards helping AFRICA overcome some of these disease outbreaks.

The issue here is that: You have made us to think that the UK is a safe haven where no disease can never be found, and water related problems does not exist.
Re: Mary J In Nigeria by londoner: 3:21pm On Jul 16, 2008
Pataki, Malaria has nothing to do with hygiene, lol

So, you are telling me that noone in Nigeria has typhoid or cholera?

Even if you never had it, its not enough to say it doesn't exist. Just like I never had Ecoli, but someone else here did, I never had bird flu, does it mean I can deny that it occured, no.

Many in Nigeria DO NOT have access to safe clean drinking water, and that water makes them sick sometimes.

If you cant see that, then you are in denial.

I still tell you, most of the people I KNOW, drink bottled water. Its a usual addition to the weekly shopping list. Maybe people you know dont, but the people I know most certainly do. If I dont drink the tap water in London, or the States, I will also not drink it in Nigeria, take issue all you want it wont change a thing. I will not risk becoming ill in Nigeria, I just wont.

BTW, I really dont need to know about your personal hygiene thankyou,
Re: Mary J In Nigeria by jkpretty(f): 3:23pm On Jul 16, 2008
Ohhh Sharrrrrrrrrraap u this londoner wan na be!

So u still continued ranting away, carrying ur feeding bottle up & down. If u said u were used to drinking bottled water and as a result don't try to check on tap water its would have been a different case. . . thinking it upgrades status is a low thinking my dear, if not i wonder why u had to lay emphases by repeating "i drink bottled water in Nigeria" 3 times b4 my initial reply. Duh! like i said the likes of u irritate, downgrading ur country simply because u managed to get away to Ghana. tongue

Go & sit down jor, u are singing off key notes . . . and it sounds ugly to the ears. cool
Re: Mary J In Nigeria by Pataki: 3:25pm On Jul 16, 2008
londoner:

Did you miss the part where I mentioned earlier good sanitation? I think you need to go and soak your head in the tub-ice.

How do mosquitoes breed? grin
Re: Mary J In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jul 16, 2008
@londoner
Nobody is living in denial here. Jeez I grew up in Nigeria, for God's sake, and I think it's a well known fact that you have to boil your water first before you drink it, even primary school children know that. If anyone does otherwise, well, you've only endangered yourself. Even though my mother warned us from taking tap water, I still did it and I've never had cholera. You say people give out bottled water in Nigeria, do you know how much bottled water is? People rely on boiled water, please. You also talked about getting sick, do you know that I get sick if there's a change in my environment, (I was greeted with sickness when I arrived the US) it doesn't have to be because it's Nigeria so it has to be treated like a "special case". I'm even more careful here in the US, I can never drink their tap water though I've seen people drink it.
Re: Mary J In Nigeria by prizeless(m): 3:27pm On Jul 16, 2008
[size=15pt]Live ur life all, live ur life.

All I know is that Naija rules and there is nothing any1 can do about it cos we are bent on making it to much a reality!!!
[/size]
Re: Mary J In Nigeria by londoner: 3:29pm On Jul 16, 2008
@Pataki, I was asked why the mayor was trying to get Londoners to switch to tap water . The answer IS climate change, that was why Boris was trying to get us to switch. If you read the link which was provided, you would have seen it, lol

@ Pataki, to try and claim that I was asserting that the Uk has no illnesses can be found is actually dishonest of you. I was quite clear in my claim that the diseases caused by unsafe water in Nigeria are not found here.

Thats the truth. If I'm wrong, I have asked you and all the other upset posters to privide me links to cases of cholera or typhoid in the Uk, I'm still waiting.

Grown people getting their knickers in a bunch over nothing, lol

I will not risk becoming sick in Nigeria, if I chose to use bottled water (which by the way is from Nigerian springs), where is the issue

lol
Re: Mary J In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jul 16, 2008
londoner the london guy

I think d best thing wil b never to set foot in Nigeria ever again. undecided (u sudn't even trust the bottled H2o here u kno)Cus once u do. . . u gon catch something! we don't want that happenin now do we??  undecided
Re: Mary J In Nigeria by londoner: 3:31pm On Jul 16, 2008
jkpretty:

Ohhh Sharrrrrrrrrraap u this londoner wan na be!

So u still continued ranting away, carrying your feeding bottle up & down. If u said u were used to drinking bottled water and as a result don't try to check on tap water its would have been a different case. . . thinking it upgrades status is a low thinking my dear, if not i wonder why u had to lay emphases by repeating "i drink bottled water in Nigeria" 3 times before my initial reply. Duh! like i said the likes of u irritate, downgrading your country simply because u managed to get away to Ghana. tongue

Go & sit down jor, u are singing off key notes . . . and it sounds ugly to the ears. cool

I see they have let you out on an afternoon break from the mental asylum, lol

@Stillwater, so then people dont just drink the water straight then either? I wasn't saying Nigeria is a special case, because I have said that even in london I dont really drink the tap water. If you have to be careful in the US because its not your surroundings, then you will understand that I am also careful in Nigeria. Since I have never lived there.

@ ZiggyMama, sure I will go back to Nigeria, probably even next year. I will be using bottled water again, lol
Re: Mary J In Nigeria by jkpretty(f): 3:32pm On Jul 16, 2008
By Londoner
@ Jkpretty, are you finished yet?

There really must be something in the water, its making you unstable, lol

Disagree if you like, but at least act like you have some class dear.

Act like i have some class? like gloating over some bottled water, all in the name of class Now i know where u belong. Agbero feeling funky grin
Re: Mary J In Nigeria by Gamine(f): 3:34pm On Jul 16, 2008
Nawa oo

me sef wey never see international airport

i dey use Bottle water for my house

who wan die , abeg o!
Re: Mary J In Nigeria by KarmaMod(f): 3:34pm On Jul 16, 2008
If anyone is twisting this discussion londonder, it's you

Even if you never had it, its not enough to say it doesn't exist.

Where did any of else claim otherwise?
Re: Mary J In Nigeria by Pataki: 3:36pm On Jul 16, 2008
londoner:

Even if you never had it, its not enough to say it doesn't exist. Just like I never had Ecoli, but someone else here did, I never had bird flu, does it mean I can deny that it occured, no.

Many in Nigeria DO NOT have access to safe clean drinking water, and that water makes them sick sometimes.

If you can't see that, then you are in denial.

I still tell you, most of the people I KNOW, drink bottled water. Its a usual addition to the weekly shopping list. Maybe people you know don't, but the people I know most certainly do. If I don't drink the tap water in London, or the States, I will also not drink it in Nigeria, take issue all you want it wont change a thing. I will not risk becoming ill in Nigeria, I just wont.

BTW, I really don't need to know about your personal hygiene thankyou,

Keep adding it to the shopping list. People I know of in the UK, do not drink bottled water, at least not to my presence. So you know about climate change, yet you keep buying bottled water.

You mentioned SWAN the other time, it seems it has been ages you entered Nigeria. Another Pity again for you. sad

I do not wish for you to know about my personal hygiene, my point basically was to tell you every human being should take measures to ensure his/her personal health. And if certain diseases occur in Nigeria, there are adequate preventive measures which should have been taken by individuals to ensure they are not affected.
Re: Mary J In Nigeria by jkpretty(f): 3:41pm On Jul 16, 2008
@all
The point is, not that there is anything wrong in drinking bottled water. Most people do. Drink water as it appeals to u, whether Tap, spring, river, ocean or well. . . we don't care just get it treated.

But fact that this londoner of a person now makes it like a big deal to drink bottled water & mentioning class with it and the other rubbish he said about Nigeria is the annoying thing. People who shout about themselves are usually NOTHING!!!
Re: Mary J In Nigeria by londoner: 3:44pm On Jul 16, 2008
JK pretty, who in the hell would gloat over bottled water? Is that an issue to gloat over in your book? Do you know how cheap bottled water is in the UK?

When I said you shoul have some class, I was talking about your use of profanity, you can disagree with someone, but no need to descend into the talk of a drunken sailer.
I mean its not befitting at all talking with such a dirty mouth.

@ Pataki, I was in Nigeria in January this year. they had swan water.
I did not say I was about climate change, it is the London mayor who is trying to be about climate change, lol

@ Karmamod, so what exactly is the issue then. if I have not said anything untrue where is the sticking point for you in what I have said?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Photos From The RED Ball Event - Genevieve, Funke Akindele, Annie Idibia, Rita / Nigeria Musician Gives House To Ghana Actress Lover, Bibi Bright / Baddest Guy Ever Liveth Olamide's School Of Street Credibility

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.