Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,681 members, 7,816,786 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:06 PM

What Is SKYDIVING? Where Is The ORIGIN? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / What Is SKYDIVING? Where Is The ORIGIN? (2925 Views)

What Is The Physics Behind Skydiving / PICTURES Of A Nairalander Skydiving!!! / SKYDIVING Sport Is Live In Naija! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is SKYDIVING? Where Is The ORIGIN? by viktuur(m): 11:18am On Nov 11, 2013
Parachuting, or skyjumping, is the action sport of exiting an aircraft and returning to Earth with the aid of gravity, then slowing down during the last part of the descent by using a parachute (or other means - in 2012, British stuntman Gary Connery used a wing suit and a specially prepared box landing rig for this[1]). It may or may not involve a certain amount of free-fall, a time during which the parachute has not been deployed and the body gradually accelerates to terminal velocity. The history of skydiving starts with Andre-Jacques Garnerin who made successful descents using a canvas canopy and small basket, tethered beneath a hot-air balloon. The first intentional freefall jump with a ripcord-operated deployment is credited to Leslie Irvin in 1919 ; however, the stunt jumper Georgina "Tiny" Broadwick claimed to have made earlier freefall jumps simply by cutting her static-line and manually pulling the remaining cord-end after falling away from the aircraft. The military developed parachuting technology as a way to save aircrews from emergencies aboard balloons and aircraft in flight, and later as a way of delivering soldiers to the battlefield. Early competitions date back to the 1930s, and it became an international sport in 1952.
Parachuting is performed as a recreational activity and a competitive sport, as well as for the deployment of military personnel Airborne forces and occasionally forest firefighters.
A skydiving center can be a commercial operation or a club, usually operates at an airport, and provides one or more aircraft that takes groups of skydivers up for a fee. An individual jumper can go up in a light aircraft such as a Cessna 172 or Cessna 182. At busier drop zones (DZs) larger turbine-powered aircraft may be used: such as the Cessna 208, de Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter, GippsAero GA8 Airvan or Short SC.7 Skyvan.
A typical sport parachuting jump involves individuals exiting an aircraft (usually an airplane, but sometimes a helicopter or even the gondola of a balloon), at anywhere from 1,000 to 4,000 meters (3,000 to 13,000 feet) altitude. If jumping from a low altitude, the parachute is usually deployed immediately; however, at higher altitudes, the skydiver may free-fall for up to ~1 minute [2] deploying their main parachute, typically at an altitude of 1000M (~3,500 ft), and landing several minutes later.
After the parachute opens, the jumper can control the direction and speed with toggles on the end of steering lines that attach to the trailing edge of the parachute, and can aim for the landing site and come to a relatively gentle stop. All modern sport parachutes are self-inflating "ram-air" wings that provide control of speed and direction similar to the related paragliders. Purists in either sport would note that paragliders have much greater lift and range, but that parachutes are designed to absorb the stresses of deployment at relatively terminal velocity (~120 mph).
By manipulating the shape of the body in freefall, a skydiver can generate turns, forward motion, backwards motion, and even lift (relative to other jumpers, not the ground).
When leaving an aircraft, for a few seconds a skydiver continues to travel forward as well as down, due to the momentum imparted by the aircraft's motion (known as "forward throw"wink. The perception of a change from horizontal to vertical flight is known as the "relative wind", or informally as "being on the hill". In freefall, skydivers generally do not experience a "falling" sensation because the resistance of the air to their body at speeds above about 50 mph (80 km/h) provides some feeling of weight and direction. At normal exit speeds for aircraft (approx 90 mph (140 km/h)) there is little feeling of falling just after exit, but jumping from a relatively stationary balloon or helicopter can create this sensation. Skydivers reach terminal velocity (around 120 mph (190 km/h) for belly to Earth orientations, 150–200 mph (240–320 km/h) for head down orientations) and are no longer accelerating towards the ground. At this point the sensation is as of a forceful wind.

12-way formation with videographer seen in upper-right corner

Jump with Russian flag
Many people make their first jump with an experienced and trained instructor – this type of skydive may be in the form of a tandem skydive. During the tandem jump the instructor is responsible for emergency procedures in the unlikely event that they will be needed, therefore freeing the student to concentrate on learning to skydive. Other training methods include static line, IAD (Instructor Assisted Deployment), and AFF (Accelerated Free fall) also known as Progressive Free-Fall (PFF) in Canada.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skydiving

1 Like

Re: What Is SKYDIVING? Where Is The ORIGIN? by Tolexander: 6:40am On Nov 12, 2013
[size=20pt]1st EVER SKYDIVING
EVENT in #NIGERIA
is here!
[/size]

follow
@9jaSkyDiver on
Twitter for updates
Vote your CITY to Host Hurry!
just TEXT "'SKYDIVE (space)
your City' to 35140. E.g
"Skydive Ibokun" to 35140
Re: What Is SKYDIVING? Where Is The ORIGIN? by Tolexander: 6:51am On Nov 12, 2013
[size=20pt]Skydiving Nigeria:
Tandem Skydive,
Drop Zones & Guide
[/size]

Lets start by being honest, we
have not got around to writing
this Nigeria skydiving page yet
– sorry! It is worth noting that
Nigeria sits at 101 on
SkydiveWorldwide.com most
popular countries to skydive.
Although we have not written
this page yet check out below if
there are any articles about
skydiving in Nigeria.
We do not intend to publish
awful auto-generated content
that pretends we know about
skydiving in Nigeria, instead we
will only publish real
information that is well
researched or written by
experts. Of course what you
are reading is auto-generated
but we are being honest about
it so hopefully you will forgive
us.
On average we publish 30 new
pages each month on
SkydiveWorldwide.com. Our
intention is to be a great
resource about skydiving
worldwide which is used by
fellow skydivers. If you a writer
and a skydiver and would like
to write about skydiving
destinations like this Nigeria
skydive page then please send
us a write up – if we like your
style we may take you on as a
paid writer.
We would like to work closely
with skydive companies by
posting blogs about skydiving
day trips and courses and of
course about skydiving
holidays in Nigeria. Please get
in touch if you own or work for
a skydiving company as I am
sure we can work together to
help promote your business
either for free or through one
of our paid options.

http://skydiveworldwide.com/nigeria/
Re: What Is SKYDIVING? Where Is The ORIGIN? by Tolexander: 7:08am On Nov 12, 2013
[size=20pt]Video-80yr old
woman skydiving
goes wrong[/size]

Last May, Laverne Everett decided
to celebrate her 80th birthday by
going skydiving but things
quickly went wrong when it was
time to jump. In the video she
seemed reluctant to jump by
holding on to the airplane’s door,
but the instructor appeared to
force her to let go of her hands
and they finally jumped. But
things got worse for the 80yr
old, the upper harness came off
with Laverne holding on to her
instructor for her life. They both
survived and landed safely. In a
recent interview with the 80yr
old she said her next dare devil
stunt is to go race car driving.
That is one brave woman.
click here to watch the video
Re: What Is SKYDIVING? Where Is The ORIGIN? by AbuMikey(m): 7:20am On Nov 12, 2013

Tolex, do you skydive? undecided

Re: What Is SKYDIVING? Where Is The ORIGIN? by Tolexander: 7:39am On Nov 12, 2013
Abu Mikey:

Tolex, do you skydive? undecided

ya bro!
I'm into skydiving!

I will definitely post my pictures in skydiving kit and in action like my boss(OP) has done.

It's a fun but i guess you don't really fancy it?
Re: What Is SKYDIVING? Where Is The ORIGIN? by Nobody: 7:42am On Nov 12, 2013
Tolexander: ya bro!
I'm into skydiving!

I will definitely post my pictures in skydiving kit and in action like my boss(OP) has done.

Hmmm! Tolexander dearie, I fantasize doing that with you
Re: What Is SKYDIVING? Where Is The ORIGIN? by Nobody: 7:46am On Nov 12, 2013
Tolexander: [size=20pt]1st EVER SKYDIVING
EVENT in #NIGERIA
is here!
[/size]

follow
@9jaSkyDiver on
Twitter for updates
Vote your CITY to Host Hurry!
just TEXT "'SKYDIVE (space)
your City' to 35140. E.g
"Skydive Mukina2" to 35140

Tah
kposh kposh

In This Nigeria...
Even Ur planes are Crashing
I laugh Ur face..
Supposing U had the planes or d money for parashoot..

U will just die n If u survive..
Anllah Igbobi must to reject U
angry

Re: What Is SKYDIVING? Where Is The ORIGIN? by Vivly(f): 7:50am On Nov 12, 2013
Tolexander: ya bro!
I'm into skydiving!

I'm waiting
Re: What Is SKYDIVING? Where Is The ORIGIN? by Tolexander: 8:56am On Nov 12, 2013
kaeyame:
Hmmm! Tolexander dearie, I fantasize doing that with you
ok dearie!

In the jet of love at the speed surpassing that of light in trillion times,
I'm taking you to the sky,
Taking you to an high place.
Not like how satan took Jesus to the high place for temptation
but,
How Elijah was ascended to the high place in a chariot of fire for transformation.
On the high place, there we stand on to view our colourful world and look down on the earth's tribulations.
There we jump down suspended in the atmosphere of peace, tranquility and serenity by the parachute of affection binding you and i together.
Toss right, left, back, front, centre in happiness and joy.

Alas!
Waking up to realise am in the middle of fantasy, skydiving with you!

1 Like

Re: What Is SKYDIVING? Where Is The ORIGIN? by Tolexander: 9:09am On Nov 12, 2013
Nigellus_Hosan:

Tah
kposh kposh

In This Nigeria...
Even Ur planes are Crashing
I laugh Ur face..
Supposing U had the planes or d money for parashoot..

U will just die n If u survive..
Anllah Igbobi must to reject U
angry

i definitely have the believe that nigeria won't continue like this.
Am very optimistic about the future.
Re: What Is SKYDIVING? Where Is The ORIGIN? by Tolexander: 9:10am On Nov 12, 2013
Vivly: I'm waiting
like am waiting to see what you PMed me?
Re: What Is SKYDIVING? Where Is The ORIGIN? by Nobody: 9:19am On Nov 12, 2013
Tolexander: ok dearie!

In the jet of love at the speed surpassing that of light in trillion times,
i'm taking you to the sky,
Taking you to an high place
Not like how satan took Jesus to the high place for temptation
but
How Elijah was ascended to the high place in a chariot of fire for transformation
On the high place, there we stand on to view our colourful world and look down on the earth's tribulations
There we jump down suspended in the atmosphere of peace, tranquility and serenity by the parachute of affection binding you and i together.
Toss right, left, back, front, centre in happiness and joy.

Alas!
Waking up to realise am in the middle of fantasy, skydiving with you!

Oh! The adrenaline, at the initial jump, the rush of the wind! Then the screaming "tolex, pull the chute"...
Oh, the peace, hanging there motionless...
Diving together, in happiness and joy!!!

1 Like

Re: What Is SKYDIVING? Where Is The ORIGIN? by AbuMikey(m): 9:34am On Nov 12, 2013
Tolexander: i definitely have the believe that nigeria won't continue like this.

Why Evulz sad

Re: What Is SKYDIVING? Where Is The ORIGIN? by Nobody: 3:17pm On Nov 12, 2013
Tolexander: i definitely have the believe that nigeria won't continue like this.

and how is suicide going to help us
Re: What Is SKYDIVING? Where Is The ORIGIN? by viktuur(m): 4:22pm On Nov 12, 2013
It's NOT Sucide,its facing your fears, Its conquering your limitations, its becoming UNLIMITED!, its all about instilling this virtues.
This has been our greatest undoing as Nigerians,We talk, we shout,we threaten but we never ACT! If half of Nairalanders do what we SAY,we are enough to CHANGE Nigeria, but we are always afraid of being Shot, arrested, molested, denied abandoned, laughed-at......
DARE yourself SKYDIVE with us either here in Nigeria or Dubai
TEXT "SKYDIVE to 35140 for INFO(charges applicable)
we are doing it FORNAIJA.com
I have done it. check

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A37jsfo4dKc
Nigellus_Hosan:

Re: What Is SKYDIVING? Where Is The ORIGIN? by Tolexander: 9:42pm On Nov 12, 2013
kaeyame:

Oh! The adrenaline, at the initial jump, the rush of the wind! Then the screaming "tolex, pull the chute"...
you didn't tell me that you are better than me in this game?
I doff my fedora cap!
Re: What Is SKYDIVING? Where Is The ORIGIN? by Tolexander: 9:46pm On Nov 12, 2013
Abu Mikey:

Why Evulz sad

am not speaking evil bro!

What i was trying to say is that nigeria will definitely be better than the present situation nigellus was pointing out.
Re: What Is SKYDIVING? Where Is The ORIGIN? by Tolexander: 9:50pm On Nov 12, 2013
Nigellus_Hosan:

not suicidal bro!
Its all fun!
In the superb word of my boss(OP), am leaving you
Danger is REAL, fear is in d
mind!
Re: What Is SKYDIVING? Where Is The ORIGIN? by Tolexander: 9:52pm On Nov 12, 2013
viktuur: It's NOT Sucide,its facing your fears, Its conquering your limitations, its becoming UNLIMITED!, its all about instilling this virtues.
This has been our greatest undoing as Nigerians,We talk, we shout,we threaten but we never ACT! If half of Nairalanders do what we SAY,we are enough to CHANGE Nigeria, but we are always afraid of being Shot, arrested, molested, denied abandoned, laughed-at......
DARE yourself SKYDIVE with us either here in Nigeria or Dubai
TEXT "SKYDIVE to 35140 for INFO(charges applicable)
we are doing it FORNAIJA.com
I have done it. check

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A37jsfo4dKc
boss, i hail o!
Re: What Is SKYDIVING? Where Is The ORIGIN? by redon12(m): 9:49pm On Nov 09, 2016
please where can I buy parachute in Nigeria.. I really love sky diving ...
Re: What Is SKYDIVING? Where Is The ORIGIN? by Nobody: 8:40pm On Nov 10, 2016

hahahaa the first jump ehnnnnn, I remember then after ground training na so bois enter plane ooooo lolz ,ramp opened and everybody forming gallant before moved back like wet fowl till instructors threatened to push us down , mind zeroed and down we go.memorable day grin grin now we do back flips and take selfies up there. AIRBORNE MY LIFE
Re: What Is SKYDIVING? Where Is The ORIGIN? by egesie(m): 12:19pm On Dec 19, 2016
DEATHMACHINE:
hahahaa the first jump ehnnnnn, I remember then after ground training na so bois enter plane ooooo lolz ,ramp opened and everybody forming gallant before moved back like wet fowl till instructors threatened to push us down , mind zeroed and down we go.memorable day grin grin now we do back flips and take selfies up there. AIRBORNE MY LIFE
Sir, u making me wish I was an army cadet
Re: What Is SKYDIVING? Where Is The ORIGIN? by Nobody: 2:16pm On Dec 19, 2016
egesie:

Sir, u making me wish I was an army cadet
my brother pray and work hard it will come to pass if its God's will.

(1) (Reply)

2007 U-17 World Cup Stars Christantus Macaulay & Toni Kroos: Your Thoughts? / Aogo's Dad Beat Up In Germany: / GHANA IS THE BEST SOCCER NATION IN AFRICA!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.