Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,218 members, 7,815,257 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:43 AM

Why Fasting On The Day Of Ashura? I Need Answers Pls! - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why Fasting On The Day Of Ashura? I Need Answers Pls! (477 Views)

Fasting On The Day Of Arafat: Sins Forgiven For Two Years / Fasting On The Day Of 'ashura (10th Muharram) / Why Fasting On The Day Of Ashura? I Need Answers Pls! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Fasting On The Day Of Ashura? I Need Answers Pls! by AlBaqir(m): 7:33pm On Nov 11, 2013
A brother posted several hadith that the holy prophet (saws) entered Madina and saw Jews fasting on the day(10th) of Ashura because God rescue Moses on that day: whereupon he said: Musa is dearer to me than you do" Then he (saws) also fasted and asked all his companions to do so. He however promised to fast on the 9th and 10th of the following month to distinguish Muslim from the Jew who only fasted on the 10th. But the prophet died the following year.

www.nairaland.com/1511261/ashura-important-day-all-muslims

So this friend enjoyed all muslims to fast.

MY COMMENT (QUE) TO THE POST:

Salam alaykum dear brother/sister,

According to the hadith you posted, the holy prophet(saws) entered madina and saw the jews fasting...then he promised to fast 9th and 10th the following year as against the 10th he fasted that present year he saw the Jew, but died.

Can you explain what the hadith meant by
"...arrived in Madinah and found the Jews observing fast on the day of ‘Ashura…"?

It is well known that he arrived Madina in the 1st year of Hijra. If this is true, then the hadith is concocted to say he (saws) died the following year.
The holy prophet (saws) died in the 10th year of Hijra.

2ndly, if the hadith meant 9th year perhaps
probably after returning from an expenditure, then I'd like to ask you dear brother what took the holy prophet so long till 9th year he was in Madina before knowing the Jew used to fast on the day of Ashura?

And I'd like to also ask which jewish clan/tribe remained in Madina in the 9th year of Hijrah to tell our blessed prophet it was the day God saved Musa from Fir'aun?

For your information, the only Jewish tribe left was conquered as far back as 7th year of Hijra at the conquest of Khaybar!

3rdly, if truly the fasting on the day of Hijrah is so important for the holy prophet (saws) and his ummah, then it is only reasonable his Lord commanded him rather than a jew telling him."Nor does he speaks of his own accord. It is an inspiration revealed to him..."~Sura Najm.

"It is He who has sent the prophet with the guidance and the religion of truth to be PREVAIL OVER ALL DEEN..." ~sura saff.

NB: I deliberately used the arabic word "deen" which is far beyond 'religion'. It encomprises all aspect of life, practices and spiritual rites.

So how will the holy prophet sent with a perfect religion and guidance followed the practice of the Jew claimed to be Nabi Musa's practice?

Besides, The month in which God delivered the Israelite from pharaoh was Abib (coincided with Rajab)- Deut.16 v 1.) So how could the Jew transfer an event of Abib (Rajab) to Tishri I (muharram) in open defiance of their Torah?

I look forward to your responses before I proceed further on the topic.

Thanks a lot for your time.

Ma Salam.
Re: Why Fasting On The Day Of Ashura? I Need Answers Pls! by Shamoo100(m): 11:15pm On Nov 12, 2013
Sallam...am confused myslf ..will stay tune for the reply of other bro and sis..hope u dnt mind if I shr it on other threads will get back to u with any reasonable ans I get

(1) (Reply)

Sheik Zakyzaky Rejects Jonathan's Apology / Islamical Sayings On Marryin A Frnds Ex Galfrnd / Before Ramadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.