Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,263 members, 7,815,433 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:21 PM

What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? (1594 Views)

Onovo Describes Buhari’s Government As Nigeria’s Greatest Danger Since 1960 / Over-population, Not Corruption, Is Our Greatest Problem / NUPENG To PDP: You Are Nigeria’s Greatest Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by boay(m): 2:25pm On Nov 13, 2013
kettykin: Obasanjo
OBJ??
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by okirewaju(f): 2:26pm On Nov 13, 2013
Can't manage its resources very well. BTW when will i ever be FTC angry
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by boay(m): 2:28pm On Nov 13, 2013
kingbang:

And do they have a stinking history of betrayal, suspicion, bad blood and intolerance?.
Humm......so the history is still very much active to define our course? Also cant we change the course of history and shun seccession as an option?
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Nov 13, 2013
-Ineptitude in critical areas and skillsets.
-Institutionalized sectarian-ism - whereby regions and people are denied equal opportunities on basis of tribe, and where people refuse to progress based on religion, tribe, and traditional beliefs.
-Cultural subservience to outsiders-low status in international politics, no vast home-made industries, importing goods, services and human resources because of the belief (or fact?) that foreign is better, etc.
-Low regard for human life and lower moral compass: as seen with crimes, sectarian violence, being agreeable to violence and war, condoning abuse and rape of the weak, etc.
-Absent critical reasoning skills.

Most countries are corrupt, and there is always an element of tribalism and discrimination everywhere. But the above points hit the nail on the head. The common themes to all the problems I listed is an inability to manage and curtail social vices, and an inability to grow the skills needed for advancement.

This is an African problem, but some of it is more pronounced in Nigeria than others.

Black man tinz.
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by Tochi3(m): 2:32pm On Nov 13, 2013
Lack of critical analysis and logic thinking.
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by kingbang: 2:39pm On Nov 13, 2013
boay:
Humm......so the history is still very much active to define our course? Also cant we change the course of history and shun seccession as an option?

No we can't. We need a new beginning! Divide the cesspit or return to Regional system of Government!
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by jahrule: 2:43pm On Nov 13, 2013
boay:
How? Can you please expatiate
Nigerian believe everything their leaders say, more so they leaders have successfully created hatred among different wards whereas they don`t see difference among themselves when sharing our common wealth.
Nigerian are so funny that they leave the needful and start chasing UN-needed things like preference of your tribesmen over merit. I can go on and on. so i concluded that the problem is not tribalism, corruption but successful capturing of the populace mind to think in the way they want them to think and it is pity the gullibility is almost everywhere.
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by Arosa(m): 3:11pm On Nov 13, 2013
Those that have agreed so far that "EDUCATION" is key to solving Nigerian's problems.
jahrule:
Nigerian believe everything their leaders say, more so they leaders have successfully created hatred among different wards whereas they don`t see difference among themselves when sharing our common wealth.
Nigerian are so funny that they leave the needful and start chasing UN-needed things like preference of your tribesmen over merit. I can go on and on. so i concluded that the problem is not tribalism, corruption but successful capturing of the populace mind to think in the way they want them to think and it is pity the gullibility is almost everywhere.
To-chi:

nnenna.1:
-Ineptitude in critical areas and skillsets.
-Institutionalized sectarian-ism - whereby regions and people are denied equal opportunities on basis of tribe, and where people refuse to progress based on religion, tribe, and traditional beliefs.
-Cultural subservience to outsiders-low status in international politics, no vast home-made industries, importing goods, services and human resources because of the belief (or fact?) that foreign is better, etc.
-Low regard for human life and lower moral compass: as seen with crimes, sectarian violence, being agreeable to violence and war, condoning abuse and rape of the weak, etc.
-Absent critical reasoning skills.

Most countries are corrupt, and there is always an element of tribalism and discrimination everywhere. But the above points hit the nail on the head. The common themes to all the problems I listed is an inability to manage and curtail social vices, and an inability to grow the skills needed for advancement.

This is an African problem, but some of it is more pronounced in Nigeria than others.

Black man tinz.
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by boay(m): 3:56pm On Nov 13, 2013
To-chi:
=poor leadership?
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by boay(m): 3:59pm On Nov 13, 2013
jahrule:
= poor leadership
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by boay(m): 3:59pm On Nov 13, 2013
jahrule:
= poor leadership?
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by boay(m): 4:05pm On Nov 13, 2013
Arosa: Those that have agreed so far that "EDUCATION" is key to solving Nigerian's problems.
Good! We have many elites and pundits, many professors, academicians etc. Are we not educated enough? Or what type of EDUCATION do we really need?
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by Tochi3(m): 4:07pm On Nov 13, 2013
''Poor leadership'' is an aftermath of lack of crittical analysis and logic thinking.
So also is tribalism, corruption ,etc.
Arosa already said the encompassing solution- EDUCATION. I totally agree with him 100 percent.
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by Arosa(m): 4:11pm On Nov 13, 2013
boay:
Good! We have many elites and pundits, many professors, academicians etc. Are we not educated enough? Or what type of EDUCATION do we really need?

Good question! I we get back to you on that.
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by boay(m): 4:22pm On Nov 13, 2013
Arosa:

Good question! I we get back to you on that.
Also who really need the EDUCATION? The followers? Or the leaders?
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by Tochi3(m): 4:33pm On Nov 13, 2013
Yes you are correct. We have many of those. But the education I am talking about is much more than that. It must involve a lot of analysis and logic. For example, we all know that 2 plus 2 equals 4. We accept it because the world has accepted it.
In critical analysis, it must be proved that 2 and 2 is 4. But we forget that not only the number 2 and 2 can give u 4, but also 0 and 4, 1 and 3.

1 Like

Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by Tochi3(m): 4:54pm On Nov 13, 2013
When we read the bible, it tells us that Adam and Eve were the first humans on earth. Anthropologists have long ago discovered that the first human on planet earth was found in Africa.
When someone apply critical analysis and logic reason to the statement above, it will tell the type of education we have been receiving. I rest my case.
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by jahrule: 4:55pm On Nov 13, 2013
boay:
The essence of education has been eluded to mean accumulation of certificates, i pity for my country. Brother been educated has nothing to do with accumulating academics certificates. Essence of education is to have critical minds, questions things. I am sorry i don`t know how to say it more than that, those that understand essence of education already know what i am talking about. The missing link is that we wrongfully thinks going to university to get accumulate certificates is same as been educated when people minds have not been liberated, we have a long way to go.

1 Like

Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by Abagworo(m): 5:34pm On Nov 13, 2013
Only an end to institutionalized corruption can solve our problems. Things will now be done by merit and without fear or favour.
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by boay(m): 5:42pm On Nov 13, 2013
Dilligently following
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by mandarin: 5:43pm On Nov 13, 2013
Awo On Nigeria As Created By The British
"It is incontestable that the British not only made Nigeria, but also hand it to us whole on their surrender of power. But the Nigeria, which they handed over to us, had in it the forces of its own disintegration. It is up to contemporary Nigerian leaders to neutralize these forces, preserve the Nigerian inheritance, and make all our people free, forward-looking and prosperous. "
- The Peoples' Republic, 1968.
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by mandarin: 5:47pm On Nov 13, 2013
Awo on Human Diversity and Political Autonomy
"You can unite but can never succeed in unifying peoples whom language has set distinctly apart from one another; the more educated a linguistic. group becomes, the stronger it waxes in its bids for political self-determination and autonomy, unless it happens to be the dominant group."
- Thoughts on the Nigerian Constitution, 1966.

The major problem is a structural defect that breeds corruption, tribalism and cheats. I think there exist a political structure that can put checks on these. I believe the first step is restructuring to decentralize, ,it will make people more accountable.
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by Arosa(m): 5:56pm On Nov 13, 2013
Nigeria is plagued by so many problems, many of which are interlinked and perpetuate each other. In my opinion, the key to solving these problems lies in just one issue: education. Education is the key to eradicate issues such as corruption or tribalism. By education, I am not just talking about young people in school. I am talking about all generations, old and young. But Nigeria does not have good quality education, especially in the North - this has allowed Boko Haram to flourish, and has also resulted in inept, uneducated individuals to lead the country.

In order to survive, one needs to adapt. Nature is all about adaptation and evolution. This involves learning - this is a fact of life. And learning never stops.

In every functioning society, citizens are taught what to do, be it in school, through the media (e.g. television), by rewarding good behaviour and punishing bad behaviour. Citizens are taught in different ways how to contribute to society, and that they need to abide by the law to live together peacefully.

Thus, education is the key to a functioning, harmonious society and the key to solving Nigeria's problems.
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by boay(m): 9:50am On Nov 14, 2013
To-chi:
''Poor leadership'' is an aftermath of lack of crittical analysis and logic thinking.
So also is tribalism, corruption ,etc.
Arosa already said the encompassing solution- EDUCATION. I totally agree with him 100 percent.
So is it that our leaders dont know the right things to do or they refuse to do it?
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by boay(m): 10:09am On Nov 14, 2013
@ Arosa
I see those things to be elementary. Dont we really know what to do or we all neglect the needful?

Also, the education you are talking about is not our own, it is from the West. The missionaries / colonial masters brought this. Didnt we receive the CORE part of education? Or is it that they concealed it from us and gave us trash. I once read on Nairaland that a secret was uncovered in Kenya which revealed that the missionaries/ colonial masters are only to teach us to read and not to reason and so on. It was the mandate they worked with. I cant recall other malicious mandates given to them according to that post.

I discover that it seems the West go along with education easily because it is from them, it is inherent in them and it is their heritage, but we are lagging behind because we are only learning it and 'emulating' them. I think the problem comes from the impartation. We find it very easy to go along with our own heritage, culture and tradition but a little heat will be generated to absorb from the West.

To be frank it seems we are naturally and intrinsically retarded. It seems we are naturally inferior to them in terms of reasoning and logicality?

What do you see to this......
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by boay(m): 10:16am On Nov 14, 2013
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by boay(m): 10:06pm On Nov 26, 2013
Helloooo
where art thou? People are no longer responding......please dont let the thread halt here.
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by boay(m): 11:36am On Dec 19, 2013
we need to identify our problem before we can proffer solutions
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by ketoprofen(m): 5:27pm On Dec 20, 2013
Nigeria's biggest problem is the fear of the Igbo man.
quote me anywhere.
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by boay(m): 5:48pm On Dec 20, 2013
ketoprofen: Nigeria's biggest problem is the fear of the Igbo man.
quote me anywhere.

How? Fear of Igbo man? Please make your point elaborate
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by boay(m): 5:56pm On Dec 20, 2013
The on going season of open letter also underlines the afore mentioned suggested problems

(1) (2) (Reply)

B*r*e*a*k*i*n*g N*e*w*s Jonathan Sacks All Resident Doctors / Gov. Akpabio Petitions Chief Assam Assam SAN / 5000 PDP Members Including 7 House Of Assembly Members Dump PDP For APC In Kogi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.