Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:23 AM

What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? (1593 Views)

Onovo Describes Buhari’s Government As Nigeria’s Greatest Danger Since 1960 / Over-population, Not Corruption, Is Our Greatest Problem / NUPENG To PDP: You Are Nigeria’s Greatest Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by boay(m): 6:09pm On Nov 12, 2013
Hello Nairaland's cerebral political analysts, commentarists, historians and all other pundits on Nairaland. It is very blatant that our dear country has been experiencing retarded or stunted growth and development since independence. After the independence in 1960 every Nigerian saw it as liberation from 'slavery'. We were full of hope and expectations that our dear country will be a great Nation.

Though no doubt about the potential greatness of this nation, it has always been 'in view'. The greatness of this nation as been seen only as a LATENT greatness languishing in 'inertia' due to one reason or the other which has been preventing the manifestation of the nation's 'potentials' and greatness.

If you agree with me that this nation CAN develop and be a great nation, then the question is: after more than 53 years of independence what has been the cause of our 'sluggishness' in development and greatness?

I identified 3 things which could possibly be the cankerworm and cancer 'eating' us up
Viz:
1. Poor Leadership
2. Tribalism
3. Corruption

Which of these either 1,2,3 or other factors do you consider as the cause of our problem?

Is there a way out of this mess at all?

I believe we need to focus on the CORE CAUSE of our problem if we are to overcome it, instead of wasting effort on the EfFECTS of the CORE CAUSE.

Comments please...
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by snoopy(m): 8:15pm On Nov 12, 2013
Corruption!! We have this in abundance that is why our growth as a country has been stunted for decades. This in itself is underlying in the fact that the whole concept of politics is being bastardised in the sense that people don't go into politics with the mindset of serving the people, delivering quality leadership hinged upon patriotism but rather with these mindset of "chopping out of the national cake" and this cancer has eaten deep into the fabrics of the society. It is estimated that over $500 billion has been squandered by corrupt politicians from independence till date. Image how far this country could have gone if that amount had been put to good use.
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by deor03(m): 8:18pm On Nov 12, 2013
4. Nigerians
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by boay(m): 8:42pm On Nov 12, 2013
deor03: 4. Nigerians
How? Please expatiate
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by boay(m): 8:43pm On Nov 12, 2013
@ Snoopy kudos bro.
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by ChimaAgbalajob: 9:11pm On Nov 12, 2013
I think the op. is being sincere by half.

How can you put corruption before TRIBALISM? and he had the nerve to call it diversity!
Nigeria is one race,2 major religions and 250 local languages.Many countries in this world are much more diverse! Having many races, many religions,more than 1000 local languages etc. Is Nigeria more diverse than India,China, Russia or even United States?

TRIBALISM IS OUR CURSE!

1 Like

Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by andresia(m): 9:17pm On Nov 12, 2013
@op, naija's current greatest problem is GEJ
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by Arosa(m): 10:40pm On Nov 12, 2013
Nigeria's greatest problem is that there are too many daft people in Nigerian. *Education is the key* angry
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by MRWHINNIG: 11:04pm On Nov 12, 2013
T R I B A L I S M and E T H N I C J E A L O U S Y/E N V Y
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by boay(m): 11:04pm On Nov 12, 2013
Chima_Agbalajob: I think the op. is being sincere by half.

How can you put corruption before TRIBALISM? and he had the nerve to call it diversity!
Nigeria is one race,2 major religions and 250 local languages.Many countries in this world are much more diverse! Having many races, many religions,more than 1000 local languages etc. Is Nigeria more diverse than India,China, Russia or even United States?

TRIBALISM IS OUR CURSE!
Thanks for that. I will edit my post. But I meant 'tribalism' by 'too many diversities'. I believe 'tribalism' will hit the nail at the head. Thanks sir.
More comments please....
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by bloggernaija: 7:13am On Nov 13, 2013
The concept ,"Nigeria"

Awo on Africa's Dependence on Former Colonial Masters
"Today, Africa is a continent of COMPETING BEGGAR-NATIONs. We vie with one another for favours from our former colonial masters; and we deliberately fall over one another to invite neo- colonialists to come over to our different territories to preside over our economic fortunes ... Unless a beggar resolutely shakes off, and irrevocably turns his back on, his begging habit, he will forever remain a beggar. For, the more he begs, the more he develops the beggar characteristics of lack of initiative, courage, drive and self-reliance."

Awo on Thoroughness in Doing Things
"A half-hearted slipshod doer may be likened to a fool who takes five steps forward and three steps backwards ... Again, a half-hearted doer may be likened to a man who sweeps a dirty room with a dirtier broom, and throws back into the room a good quality of the dirt which he has managed to remove from the room."
- Voice of Wisdom (1981)

Awo's Self-Assessment As A Leader
"While many men in power and public office are busy carousing in the midst of women of easy virtue and men of low morals, I, as a few others like me, am busy at my desk thinking about the problems of Nigeria and proffering solutions to them. Only the deep can call to the deep."

Awo on Secularity of Nigeria
"Nigeria should be a secular State ... As far as possible, there should be separation of activities between the States on the one hand, and religious bodies on the other."
- Thoughts on the Nigerian Constitution, 1966

Awo on the Nigerian Federation
"Nigeria is not a nation. It is a mere geographical expression. The word Nigerian is merely a distinctive appellation to distinguish those who live within the boundaries of Nigeria from those who do not".
- Path To Nigerian Freedom, 1947

Awo On Nigeria As Created By The British
"It is incontestable that the British not only made Nigeria, but also hand it to us whole on their surrender of power. But the Nigeria, which they handed over to us, had in it the forces of its own disintegration. It is up to contemporary Nigerian leaders to neutralize these forces, preserve the Nigerian inheritance, and make all our people free, forward-looking and prosperous. "
- The Peoples' Republic, 1968.

Awo On Future Conflicts
"The seed for a future minority problem in the North has been sown by the Government. It will grow with growing political consciousness on the part of those who settle permanently in the North."
- Path to Nigerian Freedom. 1947

Awo on Human Diversity and Political Autonomy
"You can unite but can never succeed in unifying peoples whom language has set distinctly apart from one another; the more educated a linguistic. group becomes, the stronger it waxes in its bids for political self-determination and autonomy, unless it happens to be the dominant group."
- Thoughts on the Nigerian Constitution, 1966.

Awo on State Police
"Under my proposals, Police is a residual subject, because the immediate problem of maintaining law and order can only be properly and more effectively tackled by the State Government."
- The Strategy and Tactics of the Peoples' Republic of Nigeria, 1970.

Awo on Peoples' Fear of His Death Arising from National Crisis
"Fortified with the justness of the cause we espouse in this crisis, and trusting in the never- failing providence of God, 1 can say with confidence that there, where my blood is shed, no grass will grow again, and no life is likely to flourish again. Undoubtedly, lives might be lost if the ugly crisis continues for long. But God, who sees our hearts and knows why we have refused to bow to blind tyranny, and are, as a result, in this politically helpless plight, will protect me and my colleagues from any harm."
- The Travails of Democracy and the Rule of Law, 1987.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by Orjioorji(f): 7:14am On Nov 13, 2013
ISLAM IS THE GREATEST PROBLEM OF NIGERIA. Dnt ask me why becouse you know.
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by Abagworo(m): 8:49am On Nov 13, 2013
Corruption. We need a law that permits investment of stolen money only in Nigeria and death penalty if transfered abroad.
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by juman(m): 9:05am On Nov 13, 2013
deor03: 4. Nigerians

Few nigerians (the so-called "leaders" ).

In the same sense I may say one nigeria is the problem.

Few nigerians are the one that do not allow the country to prosper and work well because of their greediness and excessive selfishness.

The country has reach a stage that the only reasonable way out is to be divided. Or at least to go back to federalism. Anything less than that is no-no.
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by ckkris: 9:23am On Nov 13, 2013
Awolowo is also the chief cause of indigenisation of the office & position of Vice Chancellor of Nigerian Universities. VCs were to be elected not to push academic excellence of the computer age, but to enhance TRIBAL QUOTAS.
Awolowo is also the REASON why Nigerians can vote anywhere in Nigeria, but cannot be voted for outside their TRIBAL ENCLAVE. (Jos crisis). Attempts by military regimes to post military Governors to GOVERN outside their TRIBES has not changed this mindset.
North for Northerners, East for Easterners, West for Westerners, everyone loot Nigeria into your TRIBE. And this BREEDS corruption. Awo's TRIBALISM is the ROOT CAUSE of corruption in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by boay(m): 9:25am On Nov 13, 2013
Abagworo: Corruption. We need a law that permits investment of stolen money only in Nigeria and death penalty if transfered abroad.
Is that not corruption again? What you wrote above signifies that embezzlement will no longer be a criminal offence, right?
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by boay(m): 9:31am On Nov 13, 2013
ckkris: Awolowo is also the chief cause of indigenisation of the office & position of Vice Chancellor of Nigerian Universities. VCs were to be elected not to push academic excellence of the computer age, but to enhance TRIBAL QUOTAS.
Awolowo is also the REASON why Nigerians can vote anywhere in Nigeria, but cannot be voted for outside their TRIBAL ENCLAVE. (Jos crisis). Attempts by military regimes to post military Governors to GOVERN outside their TRIBES has not changed this mindset.
North for Northerners, East for Easterners, West for Westerners, everyone loot Nigeria into your TRIBE. And this BREEDS corruption. Awo's TRIBALISM is the ROOT CAUSE of corruption in Nigeria.
Thanks for your comment. But it seems you are not taking the bull by the horn. Are you saying an indegene of Imo state should be allow to contest in Lagos state gubernatorial election? Please expantiate.
Remember the question is :What is Nigeria's Greatest Problem?
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by boay(m): 9:34am On Nov 13, 2013
Orji o orji: ISLAM IS THE GREATEST PROBLEM OF NIGERIA. Dnt ask me why becouse you know.
How? Are there no muslims in other countries that are doing well?
Remember am not asking you why? But how?
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by boay(m): 9:38am On Nov 13, 2013
Arosa: Nigeria's greatest problem is that there are too many daft people in Nigerian. *Education is the key* angry
I dont understand you sir. The very high level of our illiteracy is an EFFECT of a CAUSE. So what is that cause?
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by boay(m): 9:40am On Nov 13, 2013
@ bloggernaija
Can you please give a precise and precis answer? Thanks
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by greatgod2012(f): 10:00am On Nov 13, 2013
Our greatest problem is electing/having law breakers as law enforcement agents!
Majority of our leaders, and also even we followers are law breakers, and yet still claim to be law enforcement agents.

We are keen in passing judgement and condemning others, but how many of us can boldly say we actually follow the rules as expected of us as Nigerians.

We found it very easy to condemn and judge our leaders but what type of followers are we as Nigerians?

May God help us all.
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by kingbang: 11:13am On Nov 13, 2013
Nigeria's greatest problem is NIGERIA! Split this damn joke called Nigeria and all the Nations will have peace and witness good economic growth!
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by boay(m): 12:26pm On Nov 13, 2013
greatgod2012: Our greatest problem is electing/having law breakers as law enforcement agents!
Majority of our leaders, and also even we followers are law breakers, and yet still claim to be law enforcement agents.

We are keen in passing judgement and condemning others, but how many of us can boldly say we actually follow the rules as expected of us as Nigerians.

We found it very easy to condemn and judge our leaders but what type of followers are we as Nigerians?

May God help us all.
Thanks my sister. So you are taking Poor Leadership as our greatest problem?
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by boay(m): 12:27pm On Nov 13, 2013
kingbang: Nigeria's greatest problem is NIGERIA! Split this damn joke called Nigeria and all the Nations will have peace and witness good economic growth!
How can seccession be the panacea? Why seccession?
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by kingbang: 1:24pm On Nov 13, 2013
boay:
How can seccession be the panacea? Why seccession?

Because our differences both cultural, religious and ethnic can never guarantee a stable and workable Nigeria!!!. Plus the major tribes here have a stinking history of betrayal, bad blood and intolerance. Divide the shiithole and let the sovereign states start afresh.
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by kettykin: 1:34pm On Nov 13, 2013
Obasanjo
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by KingGeorge1: 1:46pm On Nov 13, 2013
Nigeria's problem is nothing but simply "NIGERIANS"
Cause if there's no Nigerians there won't be Ethnic, Religious and Political sentiment which is our main issue in this country.
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by jahrule: 2:06pm On Nov 13, 2013
Gullibility is Nigeria problem
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by boay(m): 2:21pm On Nov 13, 2013
kingbang:

Because our differences both cultural, religious and ethnic can never guarantee a stable and workable Nigeria!!!. Plus the major tribes here have a stinking history of betrayal, bad blood and intolerance. Divide the shiithole and let the sovereign states start afresh.
Good! But we have other countries that are doing well despite more diversities than Nigeria. What do you see to this?
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by boay(m): 2:22pm On Nov 13, 2013
jahrule: Gullibility is Nigeria problem
How? Can you please expatiate
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by kingbang: 2:24pm On Nov 13, 2013
boay:
Good! But we have other countries that are doing well despite more diversities than Nigeria. What do you see to this?

And do they have a stinking history of betrayal, suspicion, bad blood and intolerance?.
Re: What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? by boay(m): 2:24pm On Nov 13, 2013
King George: Nigeria's problem is nothing but simply "NIGERIANS"
Cause if there's no Nigerians there won't be Ethnic, Religious and Political sentiment which is our main issue in this country.
Humm.... This is complex-complex. Can you please elaborate this point so that people can see the point clearly?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yar’adua Was Poisoned By Obasanjo's Kitchen Staff! — Professor Ukandi G. Damachi / I have Forgiven Those Planning My Impeachment – Nyako / Closure Of The Opening At Dopemu Iyana Bustop Axis On Abeokuta Expressway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.