Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,069 members, 7,814,698 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:40 PM

Over-population, Not Corruption, Is Our Greatest Problem - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Over-population, Not Corruption, Is Our Greatest Problem (2882 Views)

What Is Nigeria's Greatest Problem? / NUPENG To PDP: You Are Nigeria’s Greatest Problem / NUPENG To PDP: You're Nigeria's Greatest Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Over-population, Not Corruption, Is Our Greatest Problem by gorociano: 5:08pm On Oct 19, 2014
It is my firm belief that Over-population, and not corruption, is the main problem with Nigeria. Our endemic corruption stems from our being over-populated.

What do you think will happen when say a hundred million people are to use resources that are meant for 10 million people to live to survive? People will try to game the system since their personal survival and comfort will be tied to how much of the system they can bend. Hence preponderance of corruption. People will bribe, seduce or even do some religious something hoping a God/god will drive the system in their favour....hence our madness a la religion. MAULAG, UI, OAU etc were built for a population size of how much? Juxtapose that to the number they have to cater for now. Now multiply that for very Institution. Before you qoute other countries, let's do their analysis: USA is on its knees economically; China is trying...and also has a very strict one-child per couple policy for years now; India slums are the worst in the world, closely followed by Brazilian and Indonesian (sex tourism nation o) slums...all their so-called economic growth is Johnny Bravo style (top-heavy) and resembles the "Africa Rising" nonsense every sane individual is tired of.

Now take a look at Kuwait, Ghadaffi's Libya, Botswana, Namibia, Brunei, Bahrain and tell me what you see.

1 Like

Re: Over-population, Not Corruption, Is Our Greatest Problem by Nobody: 5:11pm On Oct 19, 2014
Ok. Good to see you've gotten that off your chest.

2 Likes

Re: Over-population, Not Corruption, Is Our Greatest Problem by kcjazz(m): 5:16pm On Oct 19, 2014
How do you explain Lagos? Compared to err Bayelsa. On paper your argument makes sense but when you zero in Bayelsa has no business with poverty especially in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Over-population, Not Corruption, Is Our Greatest Problem by khattab02: 5:26pm On Oct 19, 2014
alright so said the Op. Don't you think op, it is few who are hoarding the money for the masses? after all our revenue is enough for every one to earn 1 million per head.

2 Likes

Re: Over-population, Not Corruption, Is Our Greatest Problem by Nobody: 5:55pm On Oct 19, 2014
Op why not commit suicide, at least, the population will be reduced by one.

3 Likes

Re: Over-population, Not Corruption, Is Our Greatest Problem by hardywaltz(m): 6:08pm On Oct 19, 2014
I have always had that belief too. We are just too many in dis country.
Re: Over-population, Not Corruption, Is Our Greatest Problem by Nobody: 6:25pm On Oct 19, 2014
Have u checked the population of USA, china, etc and they are still doing just fine. Op go and die.

1 Like

Re: Over-population, Not Corruption, Is Our Greatest Problem by benega: 6:28pm On Oct 19, 2014
Op when will u be wise? Make I straff finish I'll be back

1 Like

Re: Over-population, Not Corruption, Is Our Greatest Problem by persius555(m): 6:45pm On Oct 19, 2014
Obviously, op is high on weed and refnol mixed with cow urine. When u are through with your overdose cocktail, do us a favour by taking photo shots of oncoming trailer at berger in the midnight. Ewu
Re: Over-population, Not Corruption, Is Our Greatest Problem by casualobserver1: 6:58pm On Oct 19, 2014
gorociano:
It is my firm belief that Over-population, and not corruption, is the main problem with Nigeria. Our endemic corruption stems from our being over-populated.

What do you think will happen when say a hundred million people are to use resources that are meant for 10 million people to live to survive? People will try to game the system since their personal survival and comfort will be tied to how much of the system they can bend. Hence preponderance of corruption. People will bribe, seduce or even do some religious something hoping a God/god will drive the system in their favour....hence our madness a la religion. MAULAG, UI, OAU etc were built for a population size of how much? Juxtapose that to the number they have to cater for now. Now multiply that for very Institution. Before you qoute other countries, let's do their analysis: USA is on its knees economically; China is trying...and also has a very strict one-child per couple policy for years now; India slums are the worst in the world, closely followed by Brazilian and Indonesian (sex tourism nation o) slums...all their so-called economic growth is Johnny Bravo style (top-heavy) and resembles the "Africa Rising" nonsense every sane individual is tired of.

Now take a look at Kuwait, Ghadaffi's Libya, Botswana, Namibia, Brunei, Bahrain and tell me what you see.

My guy, overpopulation is a myth. It is the distribution of resources that is a problem. Imagine a hostel with 20 guys that is supplied with enough food for 20 people every day. Now in this hostel, the head boy and his deputy (2 guys) carry the food of 8 people instead of 2 because they feel that they are the biggest boys in the hostel. This policy of eating 4 times their share causes the other boys to start losing weight. When the head master notices that the boys are losing weight he calls the headboy and his deputy and asks them why the boys are losing weight. The head boy now says that the reason is because the hostel is overpopulated. Will you agree with him?

Of course not. The problem in that hostel is caused by the headboy sharing the food unfairly. This is exactly what is wrong with Nigeria. Our ruling class are sharing the resources unfairly and now some people who are losing out are refusing to see what is really happening and are saying overpopulation is the problem. It is the same reason why some countries are rich and others are poor- the world's resources are unfairly shared by the world's elite.

3 Likes

Re: Over-population, Not Corruption, Is Our Greatest Problem by Collynzo29: 7:08pm On Oct 19, 2014
The last time I mentioned something like this on Nairaland, I was almost swallowed.
There are countries as corrupt as Nigeria but they are doing far better because there is still enough left for the small population after those on top have stolen. Libya is an example.
Check Nigeri's land mass and compare it with that of other countries, then compare the population too, you will understand how overpopulated we are.
Texas a single state in the US is almost as big as Nigeria, but thie Us total population isn't up to double of ours, Russia is 20 times bigger than Nigeria but our population is bigger than theirs.

2 Likes

Re: Over-population, Not Corruption, Is Our Greatest Problem by casualobserver1: 7:16pm On Oct 19, 2014
Collynzo29:
The last time I mentioned something like this on Nairaland, I was almost swallowed.
There are countries as corrupt as Nigeria but they are doing far better because there is still enough left for the small population after those on top have stolen. Libya is an example.
Check Nigeri's land mass and compare it with that of other countries, then compare the population too, you will understand how overpopulated we are.
Texas a single state in the US is almost as big as Nigeria, but thie Us total population isn't up to double of ours, Russia is 20 times bigger than Nigeria but our population is bigger than theirs.

My guy, size is not everything. Nigeria is big as well as being extremely blessed with natural resources. We have enough to feed, clothe and power all of West Africa. With out population and economic might we should be the one stationing soldiers in Francophone West Africa not the French and we should work on building synergy with their economies. Our population is a massive labour force and it is a massive labor force that changed China within 2 generations. Out population is our biggest asset because there is no limit to what you can achieve with people.

1 Like

Re: Over-population, Not Corruption, Is Our Greatest Problem by Orjioorji(f): 7:31pm On Oct 19, 2014
that is a lie are we more populated than India or China are they not developing fast our problem is lack of visions and ethnic segregation
Re: Over-population, Not Corruption, Is Our Greatest Problem by casualobserver1: 7:45pm On Oct 19, 2014
Orjioorji:
that is a lie are we more populated than India or China are they not developing fast our problem is lack of visions and ethnic segregation

Guy, abeg do your research. Nigeria's population is estimated to be 150 million while India's is more than 1 billion and China's is more than 1 billion.
Re: Over-population, Not Corruption, Is Our Greatest Problem by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 7:50pm On Oct 19, 2014
Our greatest problem is RELIGION followed by Tribalism
Re: Over-population, Not Corruption, Is Our Greatest Problem by osystein(m): 7:58pm On Oct 19, 2014
Collynzo29:

Japan?
Re: Over-population, Not Corruption, Is Our Greatest Problem by casualobserver1: 8:07pm On Oct 19, 2014
osystein:

Japan?

My guy Japan was ALLOWED to develop by the USA because they wanted to use a rich Japan to stop the spread of communism. Same with South Korea and Taiwan. Remember that after the end of World War 2, communism was spreading in Asia like wildfire and the US saw that as being against their strategic interest. There was something called the "Containment Doctrine" that called for developing wealthy US-allied/controlled pupped states to stop the spread of communism.

The only Asian countries the developed on their own are Malaysia and China and even China's own has K-leg because the US wanted to weaken the Soviet Union by moving China away from them.
Re: Over-population, Not Corruption, Is Our Greatest Problem by Collynzo29: 8:08pm On Oct 19, 2014
osystein:

Japan?
Japan has the human resources to manage its huge population,
Re: Over-population, Not Corruption, Is Our Greatest Problem by Collynzo29: 8:10pm On Oct 19, 2014
casualobserver1:

Guy, abeg do your research. Nigeria's population is estimated to be 150 million while India's is more than 1 billion and China's is more than 1 billion.
China is 10 times bigger than Nigeria, India is about 4 times bigger.
Re: Over-population, Not Corruption, Is Our Greatest Problem by casualobserver1: 8:15pm On Oct 19, 2014
mkpakanaodogwu:
Our greatest problem is RELIGION followed by Tribalism

My guy this thing you called tribalism is actually nationalism. Europe did not begin to develop until entities like the Austro-Hungarian and German Empires were dismantled allowing for self-determination. The borders of a country set up the rules that is is governed by. Nigeria's borders were designed to make it impossible for us to develop because there would always be disagreement. Same with all of Africa. Sudan spent almost 60 years fighting because of the existence of insane borders. It is only now that they have made some progress but they are still being destabilized because North Sudan has not finished with them.

During colonialism out people wanted independence but we didn't get it. Read A Squalid End to Empire by Harold Smith and learn about how Britain sabotaged Nigeria. They knew that Nigeria as it was configured was unstable and they wanted it like that. They want us to keep fighting each other so that we will not look at them while they carry our resources.

I agree with you on religion though. If we can become more secular in outlook, we will be able to look at situations without sentiment and actually chart a course. The sad thing is that the Nigerian Elite are not religious at all. They only form religious to decieve the ignorant masses. Ask anybody that is close to the elite. They don't give a damn about religion or morality. This is the same thing with ruling classes everywhere. The Saudi elite are notorious for their depravity.

1 Like

Re: Over-population, Not Corruption, Is Our Greatest Problem by RockMaxi: 8:15pm On Oct 19, 2014

@OP, you can't stay behind your keyboard and be analysing thrash about this nation. If you need to be enlightened you can ask for help.

What really do you know about the economy of this nation apart from the cut and paste you do online?
If you know the reason why the western leaders are sorry for us as a nation you won't post this. angry

Re: Over-population, Not Corruption, Is Our Greatest Problem by casualobserver1: 8:16pm On Oct 19, 2014
Collynzo29:

China is 10 times bigger than Nigeria, India is about 4 times bigger.

China's population is 11 times more than ours and India's is 9 times more than ours.
Re: Over-population, Not Corruption, Is Our Greatest Problem by Nobody: 8:22pm On Oct 19, 2014
He shouldn't stop there he should kill all his children and relatives and donate his wealth to the masses before committing suicide.
Usbeel:
Op why not commit suicide, at least, the population will be reduced by one.

1 Like

Re: Over-population, Not Corruption, Is Our Greatest Problem by casualobserver1: 8:23pm On Oct 19, 2014
GenBuhari:
He shouldn't stop there he should kill all his children and relatives and donate his wealth to the masses before committing suicide.

My guy, don;t do that. These people need to be informed. Remember that you did not always know what you know today. Consider that.
Re: Over-population, Not Corruption, Is Our Greatest Problem by 1bunne4lif(m): 8:26pm On Oct 19, 2014
gorociano:

How could you even think of it. and from where did you get thi assertion, then what becomes of china and other asian countries. nigeria has the resources as far as i know, but the issue is corruption which is being passed generationally. it is from father to son i.e Inherited. think straight
Re: Over-population, Not Corruption, Is Our Greatest Problem by Collynzo29: 8:26pm On Oct 19, 2014
casualobserver1:

China's population is 11 times more than ours and India's is 9 times more than ours.
Both countries are overpopulated, there citizens aren't exactly living the most comfortable lives in the world.
Chinese are in every corner of the world.
China's population is about 7.5 times bigger than ours.
They have 1.3 billion, we have 170 million
Re: Over-population, Not Corruption, Is Our Greatest Problem by cocoduck: 8:33pm On Oct 19, 2014
Nigeria's problem is not corruption, corruption is merely one of the symptoms of the main problem that is confusion that arises from the fact that our constitution contains the unitary system but wears the toga of federal system, that is why if you check very well you will notice that though there is a bit of corruption at the federal level but the biggest corruption is at the state level And somehow worse at the local level, which is very unfortunate because the local government is the one that is closest to you and I , and look at how the constitution promotes confusion and corruption and god fatherism etc by not allowing the president to dismiss any governor but governors are allowed to sack the local government chairmen and we all know that they are elected by the people and the worst part of it is that they share the same account with the state governors, the governors that are corrupt will simply not fund the local government and embezzle the funds. so that is why I am happy that that will stop in the near future.

2 Likes

Re: Over-population, Not Corruption, Is Our Greatest Problem by Collynzo29: 8:35pm On Oct 19, 2014
1bunne4lif:
How could you even think of it. and from where did you get thi assertion, then what becomes of china and other asian countries. nigeria has the resources as far as i know, but the issue is corruption which is being passed generationally. it is from father to son i.e Inherited. think straight
Why do you think corruption is more prevalent in countries with huge population?
The competition for scarce resources.
A politician who knows that his children will have hundreds of thousands of people to compete for a job with when they graduate will want to steal as much as possible so that even his children's children wouldn't need to seek for a job.

1 Like

Re: Over-population, Not Corruption, Is Our Greatest Problem by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 8:35pm On Oct 19, 2014
casualobserver1:

My guy this thing you called tribalism is actually nationalism. Europe did not begin to develop until entities like the Austro-Hungarian and German Empires were dismantled allowing for self-determination. The borders of a country set up the rules that is is governed by. Nigeria's borders were designed to make it impossible for us to develop because there would always be disagreement. Same with all of Africa. Sudan spent almost 60 years fighting because of the existence of insane borders. It is only now that they have made some progress but they are still being destabilized because North Sudan has not finished with them.

During colonialism out people wanted independence but we didn't get it. Read A Squalid End to Empire by Harold Smith and learn about how Britain sabotaged Nigeria. They knew that Nigeria as it was configured was unstable and they wanted it like that. They want us to keep fighting each other so that we will not look at them while they carry our resources.

I agree with you on religion though. If we can become more secular in outlook, we will be able to look at situations without sentiment and actually chart a course. The sad thing is that the Nigerian Elite are not religious at all. They only form religious to decieve the ignorant masses. Ask anybody that is close to the elite. They don't give a damn about religion or morality. This is the same thing with ruling classes everywhere. The Saudi elite are notorious for their depravity.
you are right,here in Nairaland some people will overlook tribal slur but dont come near their belief system they will kill for it
Re: Over-population, Not Corruption, Is Our Greatest Problem by Collynzo29: 8:38pm On Oct 19, 2014
There are people in this country who have no source of income but have up to 12 children in this country, I am talking of here in the south not even in the north where it is prevalent.
What kind of education will he provide for those children and what will they turn into?
In saner countries, people give birth to only children they can take care of.
Re: Over-population, Not Corruption, Is Our Greatest Problem by talktimi(m): 8:41pm On Oct 19, 2014
Get your facts right, Nigeria is not overpopulated but rather grossly under developed when you factor in the spatial organization of our towns and cities plus the under utilization of our agric sector.
Re: Over-population, Not Corruption, Is Our Greatest Problem by casualobserver1: 8:44pm On Oct 19, 2014
Collynzo29:
There are people in this country who have no source of income but have up to 12 children in this country, I am talking of here in the south not even in the north where it is prevalent.
What kind of education will he provide for those children and what will they turn into?
In saner countries, people give birth to only children they can take care of.

Why don't those people have a source of income? This is what you should be asking. Nigeria has a population that isn't even enough to tap its natural resources. We have huge tracts of arable land that are untouched and unmapped. Massive reserves of mineral resources that are just waiting to be exploited as well as a huge domestic market that needs millions of factory workers to provide it with manufactured goods. Our population is our greatest asset.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

South Got 70% Of Fund Allocated For Road Construction Under PTF / Names Of 17 Senators That Followed Bukola Saraki To CCT Trial Today / Celebrating Pipeline Bombing/killing Of Security Personalz

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.