Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,092 members, 7,814,804 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:11 PM

Would You Pay Your Children For Chores They Do? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Would You Pay Your Children For Chores They Do? (3705 Views)

5 Masculine Chores I Did As A Female Child. / What Are Those House Chores That You Dont Like Doing? / What To Do When Your Husband Won’t Help With House Chores (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Pay Your Children For Chores They Do? by babwilms(m): 7:55pm On Jun 13, 2006
I can't pay my kids for the chores they do at home, since i will not fail in my duty to provide for their needs. If i am to give them rewards for what they've done, it will never be inform of money.

Their are other ways to encourage kids to know they have to work to get paid. My parent forced us to get jobs as soon as we were 16 not because they needed us to help with the bills at home but to exercise how to be hard working. Infact i never touched my salary back then, mummy took care of it and we never lacked in anything before.

My parents don't pay us, but hey never failed in providing for us when we ask or not and we are very much contented.
Re: Would You Pay Your Children For Chores They Do? by SirKay3(m): 8:18pm On Jun 13, 2006
@ Seun and others in support of Seun's ideas,

Where your parents paying you to do housechores for them at home, while you were growing up. Dont let us spoil these children that we are bringing to the world of late, cos they are not even ready to do anything.

So paying them to work for you at home means indulgence. Training in the area of financial self belief and discipline is a thing that you as a parent must do, so that you bring them up in the will of God. Teach them how to save whatever money comes into their hands and if possible, open an account for them each. Also teach them how to tithe in the church, for this brings much more blessings than anything else.

If your children sould grow up to know that nothing goes for free, then you are teaching them the crooked way. I've been in the business of child training for the past 10yrs and I know what I'm saying please.

Never pay them to do anything for you. What happens if you dont have money to pay them later as they are growing up.
Re: Would You Pay Your Children For Chores They Do? by hotangel2(f): 8:21pm On Jun 13, 2006
Of course i'll pay my kids for doing CHORES. U said not like washing the dishes chore, which i quite agree with. If it entails something that i would normally call a labourer to do if i had no kids, then i'll pay my kids.

Like mowing the lawn, cutting grass, trees, washing the pool, or something like that. I'll pay them. My dad pays me to do stuffs that aren't the normal wash the dishes, fix ur room and my room kinda stuff.

Yes children, should have chores they do round the house, but don't turn them to machines. PAY THEM UP! BUT, when you pay them, make sure u teach them how to SAVE.

They can save the money u give them for doing extra chores.
Re: Would You Pay Your Children For Chores They Do? by diddy4(m): 8:22pm On Jun 13, 2006
people are entitled to their own method of child training and yes ma dad paid me for the work i did. dats y i live alone in the US and i can fend for maself without him cuzz i already know i have to work to get something. it aint the crooked way. well, this is my own way of training my kids.

everybody has his or her own way and i respect that but i will train my kids, my way.
Re: Would You Pay Your Children For Chores They Do? by hotangel2(f): 8:24pm On Jun 13, 2006
@ sir kay, i beg to disagree that it's indulgience.

There nothing wrong in making your kids wash the dishes, or clean the house, and their rooms, or lay their beds, or clean you room. But when it comes to cutting the grass, fetching WATER, Going far miles to buy stuffs, give them commission, and pay them.

Children that are well brought up not to spend money any how would not take it for granted. U tell them to save, and make it known to them that, they are only getting paid because the chores are extra chores.

Fetching water shouldn't be your child's job. Call the tanker and BUY WATER. If your child carries bucket on the head to fecth water, U HAVE TO PAY THEM.

Now i didn't get PAID cash when i did house chores while i was small, But i always got the big meat or fish for dinner. If all the meat were cut small, i get TWO meats!!

I wanna add that paying ur kids in this sense doesn't mean giving them MOney alone. Or giving them A large sum of money.

U give them the money, make it known to them that they are getting it for the work they did. It builds a child STRONGLY! Trust me, it doesn't mean u are SPOILING THE CHILD.

No one will work if u use them like machines. U have to pay them, don't let ur kids be an exception. U didn't bring them to the world to turn them to ur robots.
Re: Would You Pay Your Children For Chores They Do? by diddy4(m): 8:26pm On Jun 13, 2006
its like u love eating meat. lol cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Would You Pay Your Children For Chores They Do? by hotangel2(f): 8:29pm On Jun 13, 2006
Meat was a VERY BIG DEAL THEN oo. I mean, if u eat dinner with two meat or one big meat, u are like, WOW, CHIEF!

My cousins saying, gimme meat and ish. Or on sunday, i get to buy ice-cream after church. u just have to pay the child in some way. When i was giving money, i'd put it in my KOLO, the saving box?

U can never tell, that money can come in handy one day. U can even borrow some from ur child. And of course pay back with interest. Just cos we family don't mean u get to USE me.
Re: Would You Pay Your Children For Chores They Do? by diddy4(m): 8:32pm On Jun 13, 2006
true talk
Re: Would You Pay Your Children For Chores They Do? by oghos2k(m): 9:51pm On Jun 13, 2006
Cant pay, Wont Pay, embarassed its wrong to pay
Re: Would You Pay Your Children For Chores They Do? by babwilms(m): 12:10am On Jun 14, 2006
So, if i have no money to pay my kids for doing something they should refuse next time abi? To me its nonsense. Their are lots of ways to teach a child how struggle to make money. You could get them a job if you are in the UK,, take them to your work place to help you out and many more.

Why should i pay my kids before they could fetch water, wash the car and other things? We never got paid money for it and never expected to get paid. We saw it as our duty and was very happy doing it. Anything we asked for was done even beyond our expectations. So in a way we got paid for it but never in form of money.

Then again what would the child do with the money depending on what age unless he or she is in higher institution. Infact if i offer to pay them for chores they do, i expect them to refuse it from me or anyone else? That was how we were brought up and i thanked my grandma, parent and those involved in training us.
Re: Would You Pay Your Children For Chores They Do? by diddy4(m): 12:15am On Jun 14, 2006
well, like i said before. everyone is entitled to their own method of training. i will pay them. it will be a weekly kind of thing and it will depend on the kindda job d person did dat week. dis doesnt mean i wont discipline dem, nahhhh. i cant just start saying my plans here but im just cutting it short. this is my method, for my kids. my kids.
Re: Would You Pay Your Children For Chores They Do? by hotangel2(f): 12:21am On Jun 14, 2006
babwilms:

So, if i have no money to pay my kids for doing something they should refuse next time abi? To me its nonsense. Their are lots of ways to teach a child how struggle to make money. You could get them a job if you are in the UK,, take them to your work place to help you out and many more. Why should i pay my kids before they could fetch water, wash the car and other things? We never got paid money for it and never expected to get paid. We saw it as our duty and was very happy doing it. Anything we asked for was done even beyond our expectations. So in a way we got paid for it but never in form of money.

Then again what would the child do with the money depending on what age unless he or she is in higher institution. Infact if i offer to pay them for chores they do, i expect them to refuse it from me or anyone else? That was how we were brought up and i thanked my grandma, parent and those involved in training us.

You see ehn, if i was told anyone would say this, i would say it can't be u, based on the posts u make. Here's what yo don't get. When u pay your kids and let them know that u are paying them because they helped u do extra chores, and also because u have money. They'll understand it when u don't pay them. A reasonable child that you taught well, won't back up on you when u say u have no money to pay.

As a good parent, u can pay them when u have the money to pay them. Talking about finding a job for your child. before u can start working here you have to be 15, and it must be durring summer. Now here's the deal, u know your child can work at home for you durring school session? Instead of paying that guy that mows your lawn, u could tell your child to do it cheaper. Instead of taking your car to the car wash, u could tell your sons to do it at a cheaper rate. Stuffs that you pay MORE for if u hire somebody, u know your kids can do it? Repairing your computer, kids of these days are smart in terms of technology. They could repair stuffs.

A child that's not up to 15 nko? Will u still take em somewhere to get a job? WHy let ur child work for someone when s/he can work for you and u pay him/her less? Some parents baffle me, they let their kids braid people's hair for 10 dollars for hours. And yet they go to the salon and waste 60 dollars!!!! U know their child could have braided that hair for them for 40 dollars

When u don't have money to pay em, THey'll understand. Once u've gotten it in their head, that u are giving them money because you have it. And like i said earlier. Pay em up once u have the money.

Talking about u weren't paid when u were kids and whatnot. Well look at it this way, did u use computer when u were a kid? Nahh, but your kids are using it for their homeworks now. So if u didn't get paid for working, why not pay your own kids. Abi na every tradition u must follow?

im not trying to impose my views on u (I know im actually doing it, but im not trying to do it. cheesy). But i don't see ANYTHING wrong in paying your kids for chores they do!

If u trained your kid right, s/he will be saving that money. U n ever know when you'll need that 54 dollars s/he has been saving! Trust me, i know what im talking about.
Re: Would You Pay Your Children For Chores They Do? by diddy4(m): 12:27am On Jun 14, 2006
true talk
Re: Would You Pay Your Children For Chores They Do? by babwilms(m): 1:08am On Jun 14, 2006
I follow tradition very much, and i change somethings i believe are irrelevant in tradition.

The main point is that children should not be paid in form of money for the things they do. When i said we never lacked anything it means we got pocket money everyweek more than enough. Which we saved

I am talking from experience, i started following my mum to work when i was 13 years old to help her and every weekends as well to help relieve her stress, while my brother stayed at home with my sisters. When i was 16 my mum forced me to go get a job just to make me know how to struggle to make money. In short i started working part time at Mc Donald's and every holiday i was on a full shift. Not that i needed money, infact i do not know what to do with my money at that time because i never lacked anything.

So my salary was always with my mum. The whole point of this is that she knew her duty as a mother to her kids and she never failed so has my dad.

I don't believe paying your kids inform of money. Their other ways of paying. You could suprise them with gifts, expensive gifts on their Bday, take them on holiday. Give them anything they desire as long as u feel its right but not money.
Re: Would You Pay Your Children For Chores They Do? by LoverBwoy(m): 1:41am On Jun 14, 2006
paying your kids to tidy their room gives them sharp business mind indeed!!! funny how u don't encourage humanity and charity work but supports getting rich by any means neccessary angry
Re: Would You Pay Your Children For Chores They Do? by diddy4(m): 1:46am On Jun 14, 2006
humanity and charity wont buy u hummer and a big crib with a damn good 100m swimming pool and a vast garden with an artificial moutain and a power bike. it aint gon get u no food on d table. it wont get you no escalade (ok i just dey mention my dreams here) cheesy cheesy cheesy

you will only be a philantropist if u have enough to give to other people abi will u see a man dying of hunger that berely has enough to serve his family give alms to d begger? nahhh, i don't think so.

we said we will pay them that doesnt mean we wont discipline them.
Re: Would You Pay Your Children For Chores They Do? by exu(m): 9:54am On Jun 14, 2006
Hot angel's been talking a lot of sense in this thread- unfortunately it appears that a lot of people have failed to register what she is saying.

paying your kids to tidy their room gives them sharp business mind indeed! funny how u don't encourage humanity n charity work but supports gettin rich by any means neccessary.

No one's saying 'pay your kid's to tidy their own room'; what we are saying is teach your children to be self-sufficient. That means looking after yourself, taking pride in yourself- taking care of your appearance and your own surroundings would be part of this.

It's just another (probably more efficient) way of teaching responsibility to your children.
Re: Would You Pay Your Children For Chores They Do? by mamaput(f): 10:01am On Jun 14, 2006
Well who should do all the work?
Me?
The kids do not live in a curboard and they make dirt.
I do not see why i have to pay them for what they do .
Eveb if i send them on a message to my dr or the post office.
I too do things for them.Like driving them to places and waiting for them to come out.
If they run into trouble i bring them out of it.
These kids will grow and go their way.
So if i pay the kids in the house Tell me what will i pay those that have moved out
Re: Would You Pay Your Children For Chores They Do? by beyunce(f): 10:33am On Jun 14, 2006
Well i think thats wat monthly allowance is for.
Re: Would You Pay Your Children For Chores They Do? by 1ofall(f): 2:36pm On Jun 14, 2006
It would seem most people on this thread are not quite getting the question, you aren't paying the kids for the chores as in , for doing their share in the house, the OP is asking about things for which you would pay other people,  (If I am wrong, correct me!)
My mum had a small business when I was in school, during the hols, when I ran errands for her to do with her business, during holidays, her assistant was usually home with her own kids so there was a vacancy,  I was soooo proud of the fact that I had "earned" that money!
How else are your children supposed to learn about "money" if you don't teach them
Re: Would You Pay Your Children For Chores They Do? by gentleaura(m): 3:58pm On Jun 14, 2006
Well I do have maids, quiet lots of them , apparently I am out of the menial chores around the house to do, yet if I get to do anything. I get paid for absolutely every chore as detailed that I do. I get paid immensely, at one point I thought it was a priviledge yet I figured its an act of spoiling the kids. been there done that

I wont really suggest that the kids shld be aware that they are being paid for the chore that were asked of them, yet they shld knw that its a sorta appreciation for doing whats ought of them to do, the payment shldnt serve as an incentive for them doing the chore. They are at a certain right to do some chores, and they get appreciated, not being paid for what they are ought to do.
Re: Would You Pay Your Children For Chores They Do? by spikyn: 5:58pm On Jun 14, 2006
This thread brings the "kidult issue to mind.

I'd read somewhere (I think Newsweek) that most kids today are spoilt, hard to argue maybe but a valid point remains that most kids born after the 2nd world war decided not to be like their parents and raise their kids with firm hands. So kids were allowed to be adults prematurely as in terms of demands, returns and "responsiblities". We of this generation are beginning to believe that our parents were just being mean by making us do chores and not making us "earn" money. Now many points have been raised here on both sides and none of them by themselves are wrong but in the wrong context they are. Leave us remember some things: the ability to enjoy working just because you can e.g. if all REAL artist(e)s depended on how much money they can make as their sole motivation, we'd have rubbish on TV/Radio and Movies [wait! that's already happening, dang!] grin !, dignity in labour, honest work for honest pay and the fact that what is learnt in childhood is hardest to unlearn.

Should children get money from their parents? Yes. For work/chores? Maybe. Children should learn/be taught that money can come from work but that's not the only reason to work. They should be taught that there are times when work does not have to pay you for you to do it.

If you teach a child that the only reason he works is to get paid, that child will learn never to enjoy the work of it's hands, only to look after the big number 1 and then they'll never be able to be charitable in anything as all their thoughts will be tuned to a investment/returns balancesheet kinda life and God help them.

Money is important, let's make no bones about it. Did our parents in some ways not teach us enough about money? Yes. Could we do a better job? Mos Def! Is completely flipping our childhood training on it's head the way? Hmm. One thing I do know sha, I like getting paid for my work but I also like the idea that I am able to pick and do any task without thinking that only the money I'm making matters and I thank my Parents for both gifts. And coming from a kid that never got any formal "pocket money", that's saying a lot.
Re: Would You Pay Your Children For Chores They Do? by mamaput(f): 9:27pm On Jun 14, 2006
my kids have a bank account and a bank card . I transfer money on the account for them.
I do not ask them what they do with the money or how they spend it.
But they know their priorities.
At 16 they can get a jod in the holiday if they want. why should they work sooner or longer ?
They will work long enough in their life
Re: Would You Pay Your Children For Chores They Do? by hotangel2(f): 9:46pm On Jun 14, 2006
exu:

Hot angel's been talking a lot of sense in this thread- unfortunately it appears that a lot of people have failed to register what she is saying.

No one's saying 'pay your kid's you tidy their own room'; what we are saying is teach your children to be self-sufficient. That means looking after yourself, taking pride in yourself- taking care of your appearance and your own surroundings would be part of this.

It's just another (probably more efficient) way of teaching responsibility to your children.

GOSH, THANK YOU!! I really appreciate. Majority are just jumping up saying stuffs that doesn't even relate to the topic.

Ain't nobody saying u should pay ur child, cos s/he took his/her plate to the kitchen after s/he ate his/her food. No one is saying u should pay ur child for washing his school uniform! NAhh, that's not the question.

In short ehn, i'll just stop her, diddy already said, everyone has different views. As for me oo, i'll pay my kids if wat they do is something i'll normally call a labourer to do! Chikena.
Re: Would You Pay Your Children For Chores They Do? by mamaput(f): 9:55pm On Jun 14, 2006
Germany won they dont have to go home.
The town is a mess
Re: Would You Pay Your Children For Chores They Do? by babadee(m): 1:47am On Jun 15, 2006
Paying your kids for chores is not right because it might lead them into believing that being paid for work done in the house is their right and you'll wake up one day to see your shoes not ploished and your car not washed until you pay the arrears you owe.
Re: Would You Pay Your Children For Chores They Do? by kiwibabe(f): 10:03am On Jun 15, 2006
babadee:

Paying your kids for chores is not right because it might lead them into believing that being paid for work done in the house is their right and you'll wake up one day to see your shoes not ploished and your car not washed until you pay the arrears you owe.

Thats a load of bull. Paying your kids encourages them to fend for themselves and stand on their own two feet at an early stage in life. I think it is a very responsible thing to do.
Re: Would You Pay Your Children For Chores They Do? by mamaput(f): 10:47am On Jun 15, 2006
As a single mum , There are many things that i have to.depend on my kids for.
people look funny at stay home mums and i work part time .
My kids come from school and cook lunch then they clear their plates .
Sometimes they also mke dinner.
I do not pay them with money , but with freedom.
They more they do on their own they more freedom they get from me to do what they want and go were they want.
many times i come home and meet notes telling me were who is.
Gone swimming, to the youth club , will be back at so so and so time.
This dose not mean they are wild and do just what they like. But they are responsible enough to know that going out to often in a week is not in the deal.
Only the last born she is never at home but we know her head no de house.
But i always know were she is.And she dose her own part of the house work.
There is no fixed work for anybody they just do what falls. or what is due.
But what non of them do is clean the bath or loo . They always leave that for me and say no if i ask. But i cannot complain they do every other thing.
Re: Would You Pay Your Children For Chores They Do? by hotangel2(f): 4:37pm On Jun 15, 2006
mamput, You are paying them with freedom.

Paying here does not mean giving them a paycheck, or money. paying could be in any form, like i said earlier, sometimes i get paid with BIG MEAT, or two small meats. Or get paid by sleeping later than 9:00pm on a school night, or get paid by going to the mall to watch movies.

U should pay them in some way. they are not machines. chikena
Re: Would You Pay Your Children For Chores They Do? by Seun(m): 6:28pm On Jun 15, 2006
For the avoidance of doubt, I will pay my children with money. This is just to prepare them for the real world (where money matters a lot) and teach them that good work deserves good pay. Financial discipline.
Re: Would You Pay Your Children For Chores They Do? by WesleyanA(f): 1:58am On Jun 16, 2006
not really. i'll reward them though. Not pay them. . .
paying your kids to do chores mean you owe them for doing stuff for you.
rewarding your kids mean you appreciate what they do for you and want to encourage them.

i'll definitely pay them though if they perform jobs for me that are not just mere chores when they reach a certain age.
if i own a store and they work for me for a certain number of hours during the summer, that would be a job that demands pay.
but if they do stuff like washing the dishes or cleaning their rooms or the house. i might reward them (if they're diligent) with things HotAngel mentioned in her last post.
Re: Would You Pay Your Children For Chores They Do? by IAH(f): 7:52am On Jun 16, 2006
Wesleyan, that's just a play with words. Whether you pay or reward them, it's still the same thing. You are still giving them something for their work.

For me, my parents gave us weekly pocket money so I'm going to give my children too. It's really good and makes you accountable, that's how to quickly discover traits of extravagance in your child and nip it in the bud before it's full blown - when you let them handle money of their own.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Are We Making Marriage Difficult / I Hope I Dont Reincarnate As A Nigerian Woman / Using Other People's Relationship To Judge Yours

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.