Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,920 members, 7,814,100 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:46 AM

Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months (7355 Views)

Commercial Bus Catches Fire On Third Mainland Bridge In Lagos (photos) / All Airports In Nigeria Will Be Shut Sunday Midnight - Aviation Unions / Government Truck Falls Off Near Third Mainland Bridge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Gamine(f): 9:20am On Jul 17, 2008
Ha ha haha

They should close it jo!

mainland people should stay where they belong, hahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Pepeye(f): 9:27am On Jul 17, 2008
Gamine:

Ha ha haha

They should close it jo!

mainland people should stay where they belong, hahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin

Very funny…thank God, i live and work on the island……but I haven’t totally escaped it…, still go to the mainland once in a while…… sad
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Mustay(m): 9:34am On Jul 17, 2008
It just shows that the 'beef' Obasanjo's govt and Tinubu's govt did us no good especially to the 18 year-old bridgesad
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Gamine(f): 9:40am On Jul 17, 2008
The bridge is just 18yrs old shocked shocked

i thot it was like 50!!!

@Pepeye, you can use Caverton na!!! grin grin
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Mustay(m): 10:05am On Jul 17, 2008
1990 under IBB's regime
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Nobody: 10:14am On Jul 17, 2008
banks should hold emergency meetings and consider relocating mainland residents to thier mainland branches and rely on IT communication more

The water transport option is a GOOD solution but as LSG said they need some time to get that ready. I believe FG should give them at least 2 weeks or lagos fit shut down o!

its just a pity they havent opened cinema hall on the mainland

Sooooooooooooooooooooo glad i live and work in IB
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by SOJ(m): 10:18am On Jul 17, 2008
Canoe drivers take note o: perfect business opportunity
Insurance houses take note: insure passengers of canoes and boats
Long-mile trekking champions take note: go build ur shoulder muscles and make money carrying people along the bridge

For more information and other business opportunities, contact me at: wemustsurviveinlagos@eko4show.com

tongue
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Gamine(f): 10:22am On Jul 17, 2008
So there is cinema hall in IB

The Boatpeople get bizness ooh,

Let me start using my yacht to ferry people abi?
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by kaboninc(m): 10:32am On Jul 17, 2008
I think its good and nigeria is working. After all we are seeing the after effect of OBJ Baba's work. Remember the campaign about a fourth mainland bridge during 1999, 2003 and 2007 elections. We are still waiting.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by SENATORJD(m): 10:33am On Jul 17, 2008
Stakeholders held a meeting on Wednesday on the proposed closure of the Third Mainland Bridge for repair works schedued to begin on Thursday(today).

It was learnt that the Lagos State Government objected to the closure of the bridge during the meeting to map out ways to ease the traffic chaos that might arise thereafter.

Our correspondents gathered that state government officials told representatives of the Federal Government that the state lacked the resources and infrastructure to deal with the likely traffic crisis that might arise as a result of the planned closure of the bridge.

The Commissioner for Transport, Lagos State, Prof. Bamidele Badejo, confirmed this during a telephone interview with THE PUNCH on Wednesday night.

Badejo said, “There is a committee working with the Federal Ministry of Transportation.

“As at today(Wednesday), we’ve not resolved certain issues and as a result, there is no way the rehabilitation work can commence.

“However, there will be another meeting tomorrow (Thursday). But I can say categorically that the rehabilitation work cannot go on as planned because there are many areas that are still not clear and which must be cleared before work can commence.

an extract from todays punch. if Lagos government is objecting to it so what is going to happen then?
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by gongoaso1: 10:35am On Jul 17, 2008
people more than just talking, this is a clear case of being caught between the devil and the deep red sea angry
last time we were close to something like this was two months ago, when a tanker blew up atthe oworonshoki axis of the bridge, trust lagosians and panic, text messages flew out like snowflakes warning friends and foes alike, STAY AWAY FROM THE BRIDGE. men, the traffic thta night is better imagined, talking of alternative routes.
But then the bridge MUST be repaired. and now undecided
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Mustay(m): 10:37am On Jul 17, 2008
salsera:

banks should hold emergency meetings and consider relocating mainland residents to their mainland branches and rely on IT communication more

The water transport option is a GOOD solution but as LSG said they need some time to get that ready. I believe FG should give them at least 2 weeks or lagos fit shut down o!

its just a pity they havent opened cinema hall on the mainland

Sooooooooooooooooooooo glad i live and work in IB

The bullion vans will perhaps take a rest
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by vikiviko(m): 10:59am On Jul 17, 2008
So 3rd mainland bridge would be closed for repairs.

Good news, but what happens to all the cars, molues, danfos that plies that route early mo mo
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by oladele80(m): 11:03am On Jul 17, 2008
My People, Though I work in V.I, I  can't find any word to describe my worries, but i know when i get to the bridge, I will cross it.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by jkpretty(f): 11:05am On Jul 17, 2008
Its one thing or the other in Lagos. undecided

They had be not use cheap stakes for reconstruction.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Gamine(f): 11:07am On Jul 17, 2008
@Oladele,

You go use ur leg cross am!

People go travel reach America, come back

u go still dey waka.

You better go buy boat
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by oYaTo(m): 11:11am On Jul 17, 2008
omo d traffic go gangsta. . .

can't imagine
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by ayomifull(f): 11:13am On Jul 17, 2008
On the affordability of the fares, he said the company presently charges N27,000 for adults, N18, 200 for children, and N2,000 for infants for two-way flights between the Murtala Mohammed Airport, Ikeja and Victoria Island

So cheap  grin So why complain about trafic chaos when you can fly down in 7 minutes with this amount daily? grin
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by deor03(m): 11:16am On Jul 17, 2008
Guess what Surutu is telling Kamoru!!!

"It's  business time, robbing on the road for the next 8 weeks will be tooooo  lucrative"

Police, Police please wake up oh.
Because of the horrendous traffic that will be on Apongbon, petty thieves will have a field day. shocked
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Mustay(m): 11:19am On Jul 17, 2008
Let's wait for it to commenence.

Afterall, it 'll be opened at 12pm e'day
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Mustay(m): 11:20am On Jul 17, 2008
deor03:

Guess what Surutu is telling Kamoru!!!

"It's business time, robbing on the road for the next 8 weeks will be tooooo lucrative"

Police, Police please wake up oh.
Because of the horrendous traffic that will be on Apongbon, petty thieves will have a field day. shocked
#

It is said that FRSC, POLICE and LASTMA officials will be deployed to the 'site'
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by deor03(m): 11:22am On Jul 17, 2008
Mustay:

#

It is said that FRSC, POLICE and LASTMA officials will be deployed to the 'site'

I just hope so
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Nobody: 11:40am On Jul 17, 2008
, good business for hotels on the island grin grin grin
, as most workers there would rather prefer to lodge in a hotel around rather than face thehorrific situation
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by emmydee(m): 11:50am On Jul 17, 2008
[b]LASTMA i[/b]s once again put to test.
The best option is to direct all vehicles coming from the island from 5 AM to use other bridges like carter & eko. And direct also all vehicles going to the island from 3PM to use those other bridges. I think this would work if LASTMA works in full swing.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by crazylegs(m): 12:12pm On Jul 17, 2008
I guess they are trying. 3rd Mainland could do with the repairs. But why rainy season? undecided

Its the worst period of the year traffic-wise and don't think its the best time for repair work either.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by teetalks: 12:15pm On Jul 17, 2008
is the fourth mainland brigde issue true?, have they started?,
i suspect there is a new jetty somewhere in Ikorodu will it be opened
as from friday for boats?, what is going on?
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by KnowAll(m): 12:34pm On Jul 17, 2008
I know why lagos state are objecting to the long closure of the bridge, the commisioners will be the ones facing the go slow, I dont think commioners use siren, its only Governors, so the commisioners, i will assume most probabaly live on the island and they will have to go to work at Alausa everyday. That journey will be nightmare for them, I guess it is Nija, lagos state govt will approve the helicopter to ferry her comminsioners over to ikeja, if they can spend millions of naira bringing Les Ferdinand to nigeria how much more ferrying her commisioners to work.[b][/b]
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Mustay(m): 1:04pm On Jul 17, 2008
fashola needs to be at Marina.

But why is LASG just coming out with this opposition days to the commencement?

Or didn't the Minister discuss with LASG?

@knowall

fashola doesn't use the siren He doesn't boast about it as much as the FCT minister who thinks that is a 'hallmark' of his administration
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by eminemkayc: 1:08pm On Jul 17, 2008
Ha ha haha

They should close it jo!

mainland people should stay where they belong, hahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!! Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
ITS VERY SADDENING AND UNFORTUNATE FOR PEOPLE LIKE U TO SOUND THIS WAY!! ITS TOTALLY AN INFRADY ON YOUR PART!! PEOPLE LIKE US WHO WORK AND DRIVE TO THE MAINLAND EVERY OTHER DAY IS ALREADY SICK AND TIRED OF THE STRESS DUE TO THE NEVER ENDING TRAFFIC ESPECIALLY ON THE OWORONSHOKI AXIS AND THE BRIDGE ITSELF! CLOSING DOWN THE BRIDGE WOULD GIVE WORKERS HEINOUS NIGHTMARES AND I ONLY PRAY THAT THE GOVERNMENT AND THE RELEVANT AGENCIES SIT DOWN AND WORK OUT ALTERNATIVE ROUTES FOR THE OVER 10000 TRAFFIC VEHICLES THAT PLY THIS AXIS BETWEEN 6.30 am and 9.30am EVERY DAY! MY SYMPATHY GOES TO ALL WORKERS, MORE IMPORTANTLY, THOSE THAT USE PUBLIC TRANSPORT SYSTEM. COS THEY'LL BE IN FOR HELL shocked shocked shocked
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Gamine(f): 1:27pm On Jul 17, 2008
Na me send u to get job for Island.

becos u wan pose "err, i work in VI. . ."

abegi, go find job for mainland jare.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Nobody: 1:33pm On Jul 17, 2008
lol
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by eminemkayc: 1:41pm On Jul 17, 2008
My People, Though I work in V.I, I can't find any word to describe my worries, but i know when i get to the bridge, I will cross it.
WHICH BRIDGE WILL U GET TO BEFORE U CROSS? HOPE U WEREN'T INEBRIATED BEFORE U PUNCHED THE BUTTONS ON YOUR KEYBOARD!! grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

11 Ideas That Can Help You Avoid Traffic Congestion In Nigerian Cities / Uk Drop Box Criteria / Passport Renewal - Rescheduling The Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.