Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,788 members, 7,866,067 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 11:01 AM

Polish Transport Minister Quits Over $6,600 Wristwatch - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Polish Transport Minister Quits Over $6,600 Wristwatch (578 Views)

Nigerians React To Amaechi's Appointment As Transport Minister (Pix) / Jonathan, Madueke, CSO Obuah In Trouble Over $6.9million ‘mobile Stage’ Scandal / John Godson,Nigerian-Born Polish Legislator Visits His Hometown (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Polish Transport Minister Quits Over $6,600 Wristwatch by oothoney: 8:42pm On Nov 15, 2013
This caught my eyes as I was going through reuters news feed and I pray we start hearing news like this in Nigeria soon...

WARSAW (Reuters) - Poland's transport minister, a close ally of Prime Minister Donald Tusk, resigned on Friday after prosecutors said he may have broken the law by failing to declare his ownership of a $6,600 wristwatch.

Can't we achieve this in Nigeria...let's discuss
Re: Polish Transport Minister Quits Over $6,600 Wristwatch by Tolexander: 9:04pm On Nov 15, 2013
WARSAW (Reuters) - Poland's
transport minister, a close ally of
Prime Minister Donald Tusk,
resigned on Friday after
prosecutors said he may have
broken the law by failing to
declare his ownership of a
$6,600(N1,047,420.00) wristwatch.
Tusk told reporters he had
accepted Slawomir Nowak's
resignation, though he said he
would welcome him back to his
old job if the investigation
cleared him of any wrong-doing.

Nowak, 38, had been tipped by
some as a future prime minister.
Earlier this year, Polish media
reported on how he had a
fondness for wearing expensive
watches, including Swiss brands
such as Hublot and Ulysse Nardin.
At the time, Nowak denied any
wrongdoing and said that the
watches had been loaned to him
or were gifts from his family.
The allegations could dent the
reputation for probity that Tusk's
government has established. The
government's popularity has
been falling in recent months,
according to opinion polls.
On Friday, the prosecutor's office
said it had written to parliament
saying there was "justified
suspicion" that Nowak had
broken the law by failing to
disclose ownership of the watch.
"In the course of the
investigation it has been
determined that Slawomir
Nowak has owned a watch
purchased for the amount of
20,500 zlotys ($6,600)," the
district prosecutor's office said in
a statement.
Nowak is a member of
parliament and so has immunity
from prosecution. Prosecutors
can only take him to court if
parliament votes to strip him of
his immunity.
Nowak is required by law to
disclose all belongings which
have a value above 10,000 zlotys.
Nowak made no public comment
on Friday and the transport
ministry declined to comment.
orisun
Re: Polish Transport Minister Quits Over $6,600 Wristwatch by Tolexander: 9:04pm On Nov 15, 2013
This topic must hit the homepage!
Re: Polish Transport Minister Quits Over $6,600 Wristwatch by Nobody: 9:46pm On Nov 15, 2013
And we are here deceiving ourselves with panel for madam fake-contact-lenses-bulletproof bmw-*stealla*-oduahgate... God will help us. In times like this i wish we had our own j.j rawlings..
Re: Polish Transport Minister Quits Over $6,600 Wristwatch by Psylas(m): 9:49pm On Nov 15, 2013
oothoney: This caught my eyes as I was going through reuters news feed and I pray we start hearing news like this in Nigeria soon...

WARSAW (Reuters) - Poland's transport minister, a close ally of Prime Minister Donald Tusk, resigned on Friday after prosecutors said he may have broken the law by failing to declare his ownership of a $6,600 wristwatch.

Can't we achieve this in Nigeria...let's discuss
we will do the same if it happens
Re: Polish Transport Minister Quits Over $6,600 Wristwatch by Psylas(m): 9:53pm On Nov 15, 2013
Group of pple fightinq for nothing, 1 person created thread and anoda brought the souce

(1) (Reply)

GEJ & CRA: Sheath Your Swords / Jonathan Aiding Corruption -TMG Opposes Nomination Of Muazu As Pencom Chair / You Think The Nigerian Economy Is Bad? Then Look At Europe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.