Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,077 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:34 AM

Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament (2749 Views)

Reasons Why God Is Not Subject To His Own Laws ! / APPARITION: The Blessed Mother Of God Appeared In Kaduna Today! / 10 Reasons Why God Doesn't Exist Today, Tomorrow And 4ever (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by Goshen360(m): 11:56pm On Nov 15, 2013
~ Coming Soon ~

cool
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by Goshen360(m): 12:40am On Nov 16, 2013
Many had wondered why God appeared wicked under the old agreement dealing with the people of Israel but appeared loving under the new agreement with the church of Christ. God's dealing with the people of Israel under the old agreement is a lesson of God's righteousness to the Church of Jesus.

For one covenant to take effect, the old had to be removed. Before the covenant of the law came into existence, the covenant of promise or Abrahamic covenant was still in effect. It was under this Abrahamic covenant, which was a type and shadow of God's covenant of Grace to the church of Jesus that the people of Israel were under until the covenant of the law took effect. God graciously brought them out remembering his covenant of promises to Abraham, which is fulfilled in Christ to the church.

It was by this and under the Abrahamic covenant that God was DOING everything for the people of Israel. In Exodus 16 (BEFORE THE COVENANT OF THE LAW CAME INTO EFFECT), the people of complained and murmured against God, Moses and Aaron BUT what happened, God graciously provided for them as to their complains.

In Numbers 11, 14 and 16 (DURING\UNDER THE COVENANT OF THE LAW AND MOSAIC COVENANT), we see the people complaining and murmuring again but what happened? They died, fire sent to destroy them and were plagued? What went wrong and why is God angry and appeared wicked to the people he had once been gracious to?

Our God is a loving God and heavenly Father

to be continue . . .

4 Likes

Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by Goshen360(m): 3:50am On Nov 16, 2013
New International Version
Brothers and sisters, my heart's desire and prayer to God for the Israelites is that they may be saved. For I can testify about them that they are zealous for God, but their zeal is not based on knowledge. Since they did not know the righteousness of God and sought to establish their own, they did not submit to God's righteousness. Romans 10:1-3

Israelites rejected the covenant of promise which was a kindergarten to the covenant of Grace also called the Abrahamic covenant. God was doing everything for them even though they murmured and complained and sinful, God was still merciful to their unrighteousness but when Israel rejected God's covenant of promise by their attitudes, saying they want to be DOING things for God, then the law was given. Why? To show men cannot please God by rules, regulations etc because the law is based on man's effort which is called righteousness of the law.

There wasn't any 10 commandments to keep for them to cross the red sea, it was all God's gracious acts. There wasn't any law to keep to free them from Egypt, it was all God's gracious acts. Before the law was given, every complain and murmuring was manifestation of God's fresh gracious acts. But when the law was given, meaning, they are now under a new covenant (of the law), every complain, murmuring and sinful acts leads to death, fire rained on them and they were plagued.

God had never been wicked from creation but gracious to sinners because our God knows that the goodness of His lead a man to repentance. Our God is loving Father! But when we reject the sacrifices of His Son, we are left with our own righteousness which leaves God out of the equation and walk with us into the promised eternity just as God was left out of the equation in Israelites going into the promised land.

to be continue . . . demonstrating the loving acts of God. God's love doesn't come with fear.

3 Likes

Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by ayoku777(m): 4:07am On Nov 16, 2013
@_@ ....following
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by shdemidemi(m): 6:03am On Nov 16, 2013
Seconded... Following intensively
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by GeneralShepherd(m): 8:13am On Nov 16, 2013
Can we agree that God is unchanging?

Numbers 23:19
God is not man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he
should change his mind. Has he said, and will he not do it? Or
has he spoken, and will he not fulfill it?
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by ARareGem(f): 8:16am On Nov 16, 2013
Fllg
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by Nobody: 8:18am On Nov 16, 2013
ARareGem: Fllg

Seriously? Are you too lazy to type "following"?

End Times grin

3 Likes

Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by GeneralShepherd(m): 8:21am On Nov 16, 2013
In my humble opinion,an omniscient God who knows the very end from the beginning and carved the earth, that was wicked in the old testament ,is still wicked and has not and cannot change.

If God sanctioned slavery and even had laws to regulate it,he can't change now. Not when he knew even before the modern men that slavery is HORRIBLE in any form. Personally I think the bible was adjusted to suit the baberic Arab people/Isrealis of the time! A loving God could not have inspired the old testament

You tell me about the new covenant,before He made Adam and Eve he knew they would sin and He will send His son to die,hence the new covenant. Why not forget creating Adam and Eve altogether? Why not kill Satan before creation for the greater good of humanity?

My opinion anyway

1 Like

Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by Nobody: 8:38am On Nov 16, 2013
I predict an epic fail.

Oga Gosh, hw far na?

Following.
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by shdemidemi(m): 8:58am On Nov 16, 2013
GeneralShepherd: Can we agree that God is unchanging?

Numbers 23:19
God is not man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he
should change his mind. Has he said, and will he not do it? Or
has he spoken, and will he not fulfill it?

God does not change, He remains God but His programme changes according to His sovereign will. Thesame God that chose the nation of Israel in the old chose the church(primarily Gentiles/non Jews) in the new.
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by GeneralShepherd(m): 9:04am On Nov 16, 2013
shdemidemi:

God does not change, He remains God but His programme changes according to His sovereign will. Thesame God that chose the nation of Israel in the old chose the church in the new.

When God says I am said the same yesterday, today and forever, His words are binding! Even God said He can only swear by His words!!

If God chose Israel and decides to choose the church aka gentiles in the New Testament then God has changed.

Even in the bible God changed all the time

Genesis 6 vs 6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart

Why would an all knowing unchangeable God repent?
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by GeneralShepherd(m): 9:07am On Nov 16, 2013
shdemidemi:

God does not change, He remains God but His programme changes according to His sovereign will. Thesame God that chose the nation of Israel in the old chose the church(primarily Gentiles/non Jews) in the new.

Also what would God have done to be changing? turn into stone? when you change you 'programme' my brother you have changed but you are still shdemidemi but that doesn't mean you haven't changed
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by shdemidemi(m): 9:28am On Nov 16, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

Also what would God have done to be changing? turn into stone? when you change you 'programme' my brother you have changed but you are still shdemidemi but that doesn't mean you haven't changed

God would have to be a liar, unrighteous, unfaithful, dishonest to His word for us to say He has changed. But He remains faithful to His word from the beginning hitherto.

He gave His word in the book of Genesis, every other book plays out to what was written in this book. We knew the beginning from this book of Genesis, God also told us about the end (Genesis 3). What he did not tell us is how the stories and the programme will play out.

2 Likes

Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by GeneralShepherd(m): 9:59am On Nov 16, 2013
shdemidemi:

God would have to be a liar, unrighteous, unfaithful, dishonest to His word for us to say He has changed. But He remains faithful to His word from the beginning hitherto.

He gave His word in the book of Genesis, every other book plays out to what was written in this book. We knew the beginning from this book of Genesis, God also told us about the end (Genesis 3). What he did not tell us is how the stories and the programme will play out.

Okay can you address my other post so we can proceed.
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by DrummaBoy(m): 10:17am On Nov 16, 2013
following...
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by shdemidemi(m): 10:39am On Nov 16, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

When God says I am said the same yesterday, today and forever, His words are binding! Even God said He can only swear by His words!!

If God chose Israel and decides to choose the church aka gentiles in the New Testament then God has changed.

Genesis 6 vs 6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart

What happened in Genesis 6:6
‘And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart."

God didn’t repent of the fact that He made man but, when God saw what man was doing, He had an act of sorrow. He was sorry to see what His created beings had now become. This does not in anyway mean God seized to be God neither did it distort the plan and the drama God had planned even before the world was formed. God was providentially putting all these stories together as a shadow of what is to come in the new through Christ.

The word 'repent' as used here means a change of mind.

The attitude of the human race at this point can't be a surprise to God, could it? He pushed man out of Eden Eastward-towards darkness, all man could constantly do was to move from darkness to a higher degree of darkness. God was Playing out the script as a shadow of what is to come, He picked just Noah and his family purely out of mercy and grace.
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by Goshen360(m): 10:53am On Nov 16, 2013
When Israel rejected God's gracious acts and established their own righteousness, God, in His loving acts and nature still would be merciful. Even in their righteousness of the law, God still provided a way of blessing them, showing or teaching them His loving nature but they still would not learn but stiff necked people.

New International Version
"'Make an altar of earth for me and sacrifice on it your burnt offerings and fellowship offerings, your sheep and goats and your cattle. Wherever I cause my name to be honored, I will come to you and bless you. Exodus 20:24

God was showing a generation of people who had rejected God's gracious act that the only way He would bless them is through the sacrifice but to us, picturing the sacrifice of the resurrected Christ. Ladies and Gentlemen, God is not good because you are good but because He is good. God is not faithful because of our faithfulness, but because of His faithfulness. It is all because of what Christ had done, His sacrifice to us all, even when we were sinners.

Many have being approaching God with fear like the wicked God of the old agreement when they sin as Christian instead of approaching God with boldness and sober act. Listen, God's eye doesn't behold sin but under the sacrifice of His Son, we come boldly to the throne of Grace and receive mercy instead of judgment. Shall we then continue to sin thinking the sacrifice of Christ will always cover us? Certainly not! We don't remain in sin when we do sin, but when we do, we come boldly to the throne of Grace and receive forgiveness and mercy, all the loving God blessing us through the sacrifice of Christ.

First of all, the former commandment was a temporal program that was never intended to remain forever; its removal and replacement was justified by the reason of its weakness and ineffectiveness in producing the required result. Instead of it to make us perfect and bring us back to God, the law was condemning the best of us and was chasing us away from God; but Christ’s death and resurrection has assured us a better hope and oneness with God in which we draw nearer to God (Hebrews 7:18 - 19).

Since it was by the mysterious application of faith and grace through the blood of Jesus that we were judged and condemned along with Christ on the Cross, we have been justified also by being raised along with Him; instead of expecting any subsequent future trial at any throne of judgment, let us always come boldly to the throne of Grace where our past-present-and-future cases have already been mercifully dealt with, and where the supply of all our needs are graciously guaranteed (Hebrews 4:16).

The mysterious truth of believers revealed in the prodigal son, we return to God, our loving Father and say, Father, I have sinned against you and I'm not worthy. The Father today, is not looking at your sins, even though He doesn't want you in such sins but He looks at His faithfulness and sacrifice of His Son Jesus. There's is no fear in God's love towards us because God's perfect love doesn't torment but cast out fear. Shake yourself up if you have fallen to temptation and approach the Father again, He is waiting for you. God's perfect love doesn't keep record of sin, to the Father, it never happened. What a loving God we serve. Oh, I love you God for you have not dealt with me because of my sin but you have dealt with my sins on Jesus who sinned not but judged instead of me. Glory to God, Hallelujah!

3 Likes

Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by MrTroll(m): 10:59am On Nov 16, 2013
What do you call a being that gets angry, jealous, become contrite and sorry, loves, hates, weeps, in fact all the gamut of human emotions? I call it a human being. . . Or the creation of the human mind cool
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by Goshen360(m): 11:00am On Nov 16, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

Too much of KJV isn't fair to study of the word. cheesy Did He commit any sin that He had to 'repent'? Check other translations Here
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by shdemidemi(m): 11:05am On Nov 16, 2013
hallelujah

We must plead guilty to God or remain guilty forever...

1 Like

Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by Goshen360(m): 11:06am On Nov 16, 2013
Mr Troll: What do you call a being that gets angry, jealous, become contrite and sorry, loves, hates, weeps, in fact all the gamut of human emotions? I call it a human being. . . Or the creation of the human mind cool

Obviously, you didn't read the OP. Look through God's act BEFORE the law and compare God's act during the law. Israel rejected God's gracious act which was under the Abrahamic covenant, a kindergarten covenant to the present covenant of Grace. Show me a Christian who does wrong and God had rained fire down on him\her? Show me a Christian who had gone prodigal and God had stopped being God to such? Israel demanded a different agreement and such, the covenant of the promise ceased over be in effect.
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by MrTroll(m): 11:10am On Nov 16, 2013
Goshen360:

Obviously, you didn't read the OP. Look through God's act BEFORE the law and compare God's act during the law. Israel rejected God's gracious act which was under the Abrahamic covenant, a kindergarten covenant to the present covenant of Grace. Show me a Christian who does wrong and God had rained fire down on him\her? Show me a Christian who had gone prodigal and God had stopped being God to such? Israel demanded a different agreement and such, the covenant of the promise ceased over be in effect.
Was this in reply to my post?
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by okeyxyz(m): 11:11am On Nov 16, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

Great question the way you put it. But christians generally fail to answer this question, because they do not understand, they take it too literally.

Now when we say God cannot change, it simply means he abides absolutely by his word until it is fulfilled. ie: If God makes a promise or a law then such word is a debt and he is bound to keep(fulfill) it. So after he has fulfilled(paid the debt) the word, he is no longer bound by it because he has delivered on the promise of his word. If he'd failed to deliver on the promise, then he can be regarded as someone who has changed and is a liar and untrustworthy. Thus the saying:

"God is not a man, that He should lie, Nor a son of man, that He should repent; Has He said, and will He not do it? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good?(Numbers 23:19)

This is also the principle for the abolishing of the law of Moses. Jesus has fulfilled it, therefore it is no longer binding after it is fulfilled.

...not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished(Matthew 5:18)

1 Like

Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by Goshen360(m): 11:11am On Nov 16, 2013
shdemidemi: hallelujah

We must plead guilty to God or remain guilty forever...

Romans 3:3, in all translations, loud and clear.
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by Goshen360(m): 11:13am On Nov 16, 2013
Mr Troll: Was this in reply to my post?

Yes sir.
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by harbiola1(m): 11:15am On Nov 16, 2013
@ Op and all, lying in a place like this should be strictly prohibited. the doing of God is to punish the wrongdoers either directly by Himself or indirectly through His prophets of the times.

God has never been lenient towards wrongdoers nor cruel towards law abiding creations, however, there's always room for changes, and after several warnings the terror would be unleashed on the arrogant ones. God and His prophets were not demons as the Bible portrayed them, prophets were the most pious and God fearing among the people of their generations. they were not infallible though, because infallibility is exclusive to God, bt the infallible God said He was their Guardian. So if truely they were capable of those grave errors, what is the essence of the infallible Guardian?.

Quran speaks much about these prophets (as), and it neither conceal their mistakes nor exaggerate it, but they say it changed/copied the stories which is laughable anyway. It's a common sense, bring ur facts and i'll bring mine, then how come ur own is inconsistent and my own is flawless.

The truth is that many of those events in the Bible truely happened but what led to the incidents were lost, some people tried to harmonise the texts but they would never correct and that brings about "Redaction Errors" and what u would call "Copy & Paste Errors". While many others did not happen at all but found their ways into the bible texts as part of political polemic of the time to denigrate their opponents and relegate them to a lesser status. it's a pity that u guys won't question what is questionable, and just be buying lies at higher price. Of course, this's nt an assumption, i've my undisputable, sound facts in the Bible. bt i'm not here to derail the thread, on the Condition that u don't call God what He's nt.

Following...
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by GeneralShepherd(m): 11:18am On Nov 16, 2013
shdemidemi:

What happened in Genesis 6:6
‘And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart."

God didn’t repent of the fact that He made man but, when God saw what man was doing, He had an act of sorrow. He was sorry to see what His created beings had now become. This does not in anyway mean God seized to be God neither did it distort the plan and the drama God had planned even before the world was formed. God was providentially putting all these stories together as a shadow of what is to come in the new through Christ.

The word 'repent' as used here means a change of mind.

The attitude of the human race at this point can't be a surprise to God, could it? He pushed man out of Eden Eastward-towards darkness, all man could constantly do was to move from darkness to a higher degree of darkness. God was Playing out the script as a shadow of what is to come, He picked just Noah and his family purely out of mercy and grace.

So are you saying that God is just being theatrical? Because I see no reason why God will create Adam and Eve and they sin like He knew they will,then He starts being sorrowful and dramatic!! He knew Adam and Eve will sin why is He grieving? Did he somehow wish Adam and Eve will surprise Him?
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by MrTroll(m): 11:19am On Nov 16, 2013
Goshen360:

Yes sir.
I'm afraid i fail to see the connection. undecided
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by MrTroll(m): 11:21am On Nov 16, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

So are you saying that God is just being theatrical? Because I see no reason why God will create Adam and Eve and they sin like He knew they will,then He starts being sorrowful and dramatic!! He knew Adam and Eve will sin why is He grieving? Did he somehow wish Adam and Eve will surprise Him?
He's omniscient yet gets angry when stuff happens. Funnycheesy
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by GeneralShepherd(m): 11:21am On Nov 16, 2013
harbiola1: @ Op and all, lying in a place like this should be strictly prohibited. the doing of God is to punish the wrongdoers either directly by Himself or indirectly through His prophets of the times.

God has never been lenient towards wrongdoers nor cruel towards law abiding creations, however, there's always room for changes, and after several warnings the terror would be unleashed on the arrogant ones. God and His prophets were not demons as the Bible portrayed them, prophets were the most pious and God fearing among the people of their generations. they were not infallible though, because infallibility is exclusive to God, bt the infallible God said He was their Guardian. So if truely they were capable of those grave errors, what is the essence of the infallible Guardian?.

Quran speaks much about these prophets (as), and it neither conceal their mistakes nor exaggerate it, but they say it changed/copied the stories which is laughable anyway. It's a common sense, bring ur facts and i'll bring mine, then how come ur own is inconsistent and my own is flawless.

The truth is that many of those events in the Bible truely happened but what led to the incidents were lost, some people tried to harmonise the texts but they would never correct and that brings about "Redaction Errors" and what u would call "Copy & Paste Errors". While many others did not happen at all but found their ways into the bible texts as part of political polemic of the time to denigrate their opponents and relegate them to a lesser status. it's a pity that u guys won't question what is questionable, and just be buying lies at higher price. Of course, this's nt an assumption, i've my undisputable, sound facts in the Bible. bt i'm not here to derail the thread, on the Condition that u don't call God what He's nt.

Following...

So it is the war mongering Quaran than is the immutable word of God ba? Religious delusion! Allah the name that has been used to wreck havoc on most modern civilisations.

Only cave men should worship Allah
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by GeneralShepherd(m): 11:24am On Nov 16, 2013
Goshen360:

Too much of KJV isn't fair to study of the word. cheesy Did He commit any sin that He had to 'repent'? Check other translations Here

Still my point,if I feel sorry for my actions means I simply did not know my actions would yield unfavourable results;hence I wouldn't be sorry or regret those actions!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Warning: Blacks Should Avoid The Rapture:It's Not A Laughing Matter O. Pls Read / AIDS Is Now Running Rampant Amongst ISIS Fighters And It's Getting So Bad... / DOWNLOAD MP3: Ebuka Songs – I Will Pray

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.