Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,224 members, 7,825,857 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:58 AM

We Don’t Have Water, Yet Lagos Govt Waters Flowers –residents - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Don’t Have Water, Yet Lagos Govt Waters Flowers –residents (2833 Views)

We Don’t Have Money To Complete Our Secretariat – PDP / Igbo Appeal To Lagos Govt, Police To Protect Them After Elections / We Don’t Have Buhari’s Credentials - Army (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Don’t Have Water, Yet Lagos Govt Waters Flowers –residents by theoctopus: 10:18am On Nov 17, 2013
It’s been five years since Mr. Simeon Bolarinwa and his family moved to Pero in Agege Local Government Area of Lagos State. Since then, he and his family have had to solely rely on buying water for drinking and carrying out domestic chores.

But Bolarinwa said he became confused lately after noticing that the state government constantly supplies water to the lawns and flowers adorning Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way, Ikeja, a short distance from his residence.

He said, “We don’t have water in my area, so we buy water all the time. Ten kegs of (bore hole) water cost us N50 and four bowls cost about N20, and that’s because we live directly across a water seller. Those who have to buy water from the peddlers spend a lot more. The price also varies when there is power outage because the water seller will say he has to power his pumping machine with a generator and fuel costs money.

“During the rainy season, we pray it rains because we won’t have to buy water since rainwater is from God. We’re truly lucky to have someone selling water close to us. It’s just strange that people don’t have water to use, yet the same government is able to provide water for the grasses and flowers of Lagos.”

Lagos State is going greener with its landscaping programme at roundabouts, open spaces and loops, however; some residents of the state would die to get the water used daily to wet lawns, gardens and flowers.

“Government finds it difficult to provide water for human beings but easy to wet plants. If government can construct boreholes to supply water to plants, then it shouldn’t be difficult for the same government to construct boreholes in areas that do not have water, even if it will be one borehole per street,” Bolarinwa added.

Investigation shows that many residents of Lagos, particularly in Agege, Alimosho and Bariga local government areas and the outlying areas of the state, lack access to public water supply. Therefore, they rely mostly on borehole water being sold to them, which is usually not potable.

In the affected areas, some landlords take up the responsibility of providing boreholes for occupants of buildings inhabited by medium and high-income earners, However, some residents are not as lucky, particularly occupants of the more predominant Brazilian style buildings, popularly known as face-me-I-face-you. Such buildings hardly have wells and boreholes.

For instance, a junior secondary school student in Agege, Funmilayo Raji, wakes up early to fetch water for the family from the end of her street, to have a realistic chance of making it to school on time.

She said, “If I don’t go to fetch early, I may meet more people there, so I usually wake up by 5am on school days. It’s worse during dry season when the queues are long and we have to struggle to buy water. Some people ask truck pushers to bring the water for them but then, it will cost more.”

Another resident of Agege, Abiodun Okanlawon, said he had been buying water since he moved to the area three years ago. Okanlawon had been buying from water peddlers, so he had been spending more than Bolarinwa to get water.

He said, “We buy kegs of water that we use for washing and we buy bags of sachet water or bottled water for drinking. I buy ten kegs for N150 and it hardly lasts me for four days if I have to wash clothes with it. I usually need another N80 for a bag of sachet water per week. Water is very essential; that’s why many people are going into the business of selling water.”

But in contrast, lawns and parks in public areas in the state have continued to receive constant supply of water as part of government’s environmental beautification exercise. Such areas that have benefited from the landscaping and beautification projects include Senator Bola Ahmed Tinubu Way, Alausa; Funsho Williams Park at Costain Roundabout, Iganmu; Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way; and Gani Fawenhimi Freedom Park and MKO Abiola Park, both at Ojota.

Others include Kudirat Abiola Cenotaph near 7-Up, by old Lagos Toll Gate and the median from the old Toll Gate to Oworonshoki, along the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.

Interestingly, the state beautification projects have become the envy of many residents of Bariga too.

A resident of Odunsi Street in Bariga, Mrs. Lovelyn Johnson, estimated that 99 per cent of residents in the area lacked access to clean water, whether public or private.

Johnson said a few houses in the area used to have privately-dug wells, but that many of such wells had made way for road construction projects.

She said, “In my case, I spend up to N200 everyday to buy water. My family and I don’t mind, so we drink the water. I don’t bother to spend money on bottled or sachet water again.”

Also, Mrs. Falilat Adeyemi added that she and four family members had been using an average of N100 worth of water each day since her neighbour’s well gave way to a road renovation.

She said, “We’ve never had a well or government water supply but we used to fetch water from our neighbour who had a well. But the well was demolished during a road expansion project about a year ago. Now we buy water like everyone else.”

The business of selling water is one thing the residents of Agege and Bariga seem to have in common. With the water challenges confronting the two areas, some streets have up to four water sellers.

These business owners construct boreholes and achieve two objectives; selling water to their neighbours, thus making money and servicing a vital need.

Sunday Oshibajo, who manages the business for his family in Agege, however, said that profit had reduced because of the proliferation of the business in the area.

Oshibajo said profit varied from one time of the year to another and also from one season to season.

He said, “Before, we used to be the only one around selling water and there were so many people coming to buy water, but today, we are four on this street (Ajigbotinu)alone.

“We sell more on Saturdays and Sundays than on any other day of the week because more people are at home during the weekend to use water. Sometimes, we make about N1,000 profit daily and sometimes, it could be more. We’re like wholesalers; the people that make more money selling water are the peddlers.”

The water peddlers are often seen with their carts, which can lift up to ten kegs of water at a time. They buy 250 litres of water between N30 and N40, depending on the availability of electricity.

However, water peddlers sell the volume of water they buy for about N40 to customers for between N120 and N200, depending on the distance travelled within the neighbourhood to reach customers.

A water peddler, who identified himself as Sanni, said he could make up to N5,000 selling to customers from house to house within the neighbourhood, on a busy day.

He said, “When there is business, like during the dry season, I make up to N5,000 a day but when there is no business, my profit reduces to about N1,000.”

Meanwhile, the lawns and flowers in public parks in various parts of the state continue to enjoy constant water supply.

A lawn-tender at a park at Ijora Olopa, who identified himself as Emmanuel, said he uses 20,000 litres of water daily to wet a stretch of about 200 metres lawn.

He said, “I wet twice a day normally using four 5,000- litre tanks of water. But during rainy season, sometimes I don’t need to do any wetting since it usually rains.

Another lawn-tender at Ikeja, who did not give his name, said he had been wetting the park every morning, using sprinklers.

The source said, “It is difficult to quantify the volume of water used because we use sprinklers. Our water doesn’t come from the state water corporation. Each park has its borehole, so the state is not supplying the water from one source.”

The Group Managing Director, Lagos Water Corporation, Shayo Holloway, admitted that water supply in the state was inadequate but added that there were ongoing projects to ease the shortfall.

Holloway identified inadequate power supply and poor recovery of water rates from residents as some of the challenges affecting the corporation’s operations.

He said, “Water used by the Ministry of Environment to wet is not potable water. The ministry makes arrangement to source their water from boreholes and not from LWC. So, it’s not as if we are wasting potable water that could have been used to serve the public.

“Presently, we have a total of 2,400km of networks in Lagos State; that is the distance of Lagos to Kano and back. It may sound a lot in terms of the size of Lagos State but basically, that is still inadequate. For us to be able to cover the state adequately, we need about 6,600km. That is more than the distance of Lagos to London. The government is not unaware of this and a lot is presently being done to achieve that objective and that was why in 2010, Lagos State Water Corporation developed a Lagos water master plan.

“What it entails is growing capacity from the current 210million gallons per day to 745 million gallons per day by year 2020, when the population of Lagos is expected to hit 29 million.”

Holloway said the “ongoing construction of Adiyan water scheme phase 2 and the development of Yewa water scheme which will be sited in Badagry and cover the Lagos-Badagry corridor” would assist in alleviating some of the water challenges confronting residents.

He said, “We are finalising arrangements with the Federal Ministry of Works so that we can extend mains, water supply from the Adiyan source to Oworonshoki from the Bariga area. In the Bariga area, any street where there is no water supply should contact our toll number-08005246792837. We have also done extensive work in the Gbagada area, which is close to Bariga.

“We have network coverage in Agege which may not be adequate. However, work is still ongoing to extend mains and ensure that we are able to get water to virtually everybody. After the ongoing rehabilitation of iju and Adiyan schemes by December 2013, all the areas like Agege, Oshodi, where we recently completed mains extension and Bariga, will see good water delivery.

“We have got 48 mini water works all over the state to support these major water works. However, the major challenge these mini water works face is that of power supply from the national grid. In other words, on an average, they may get supply for about four hours or five hours and still be left with about 20 hours of operation.”

http://www.punchng.com/feature/we-dont-have-water-yet-lagos-govt-waters-flowers-residents/
Re: We Don’t Have Water, Yet Lagos Govt Waters Flowers –residents by WisdomMe(m): 10:38am On Nov 17, 2013
Do u expect me to read all these?

First & foremost, I'll like to use this podium or modium (choose one) to tank my parents has ve bin supporting me academically,morally & financially & my grandparents who wia fruitful to bore my parents.
My coursemates,crazy friends & my associates (Teamvirgins) etc for dis supports on my birthday party @ Concord Hotel Owerri.
Not forgeting my 2go frnds (My username- Wizboy1992) & BBM frnds all ova de glode (21ACC2B4) I say may God almighty bless dem all.
Re: We Don’t Have Water, Yet Lagos Govt Waters Flowers –residents by KAYCEEJUNIOR(m): 10:41am On Nov 17, 2013
IN ANAMBRA.....WE DONT HAV LIGHT....BUT WE AR LIGHT OF THE NATION........BETA PRAY FOR GOD TO MAK A WAY FOR U

1 Like

Re: We Don’t Have Water, Yet Lagos Govt Waters Flowers –residents by KAYCEEJUNIOR(m): 10:43am On Nov 17, 2013
Wisdom-Me:
IMAGINE
Re: We Don’t Have Water, Yet Lagos Govt Waters Flowers –residents by UyiIredia(m): 10:48am On Nov 17, 2013
Wisdom-Me:

That's lazy. BTW, you can always skim it to get the gist of the article.

I agree fully with the OP. I have resided near Agege for most of my life. Sater supply is poor. In fact, my mum was one of a number of people with shops that sold water to residents there who couldn't dig a borehole. Luckily in my house we've been blessed with good water from a well (now dried out) and a borehole. But the LASG needs to do a better job on water supply. It really does.

1 Like

Re: We Don’t Have Water, Yet Lagos Govt Waters Flowers –residents by Mynd44: 11:01am On Nov 17, 2013
Different strokes for different folks.

I used to stay in palmgroove and we have water supply from the state government. It is so stable, we did not have storage facilities. Where I stay now is far away from palmgroove but same thing. Water supply is constant.

The Lagos government is trying it's best but it can't do it all at once

4 Likes

Re: We Don’t Have Water, Yet Lagos Govt Waters Flowers –residents by theoctopus: 11:06am On Nov 17, 2013
Mynd_44: Different strokes for different folks.

I used to stay in palmgroove and we have water supply from the state government. It is so stable, we did not have storage facilities. Where I stay now is far away from palmgroove but same thing. Water supply is constant.

The Lagos government is trying it's best but it can't do it all at once

You are a big fat LIAR! cheesy

5 Likes

Re: We Don’t Have Water, Yet Lagos Govt Waters Flowers –residents by Garrithe1st: 11:09am On Nov 17, 2013
theoctopus:

Ur post has been bookmarked. I'll destroy you when I close from church..

cool
Re: We Don’t Have Water, Yet Lagos Govt Waters Flowers –residents by theoctopus: 11:13am On Nov 17, 2013
Garri the 1st:

Ur post has been bookmarked. I'll destroy you when I close from church..

cool

Go and sitdown joor. You will also destroy punch newspapers abi? Fat liars! Fashola Ole buruku!

4 Likes

Re: We Don’t Have Water, Yet Lagos Govt Waters Flowers –residents by Mynd44: 11:19am On Nov 17, 2013
theoctopus:

And your reason for calling me a liar being? Do you live in my house?

2 Likes

Re: We Don’t Have Water, Yet Lagos Govt Waters Flowers –residents by dahfweshdude69: 11:22am On Nov 17, 2013
maybe u guys ain't lucky...when I still stayed in ikd, we do receive water supply from 12-6 everyday...but ever since some stubborn citizens who will never do anything good decided to destroy d pipes dat do supply us water, d delivery of water has stopped... I stay in lekki now...we only have public bore holes in each street in my area...I don't know about others o
Re: We Don’t Have Water, Yet Lagos Govt Waters Flowers –residents by theoctopus: 11:22am On Nov 17, 2013
Mynd_44:
And your reason for calling me a liar being? Do you live in my house?

I cannot live in that your face-me-I-slap-you shank! My reason for calling you a liar is because you ae a faceless anonymous fellow who is trying to negate an investigative report from the punch newspapers and its accompanying comments from the numerous readers who actually are not faceless like you. That makes you a liar! gerrit?
Re: We Don’t Have Water, Yet Lagos Govt Waters Flowers –residents by UjSizzle(f): 11:31am On Nov 17, 2013
My water supply is stable, it's electricity am worried about.

2 Likes

Re: We Don’t Have Water, Yet Lagos Govt Waters Flowers –residents by theoctopus: 11:44am On Nov 17, 2013
ballabriggs:

Brilliant response from the LSWC guy there.

Maybe Omokri can tell us what percentage of people in the creeks of Bayelsa have access to potable water.

If you go to Brass, you will understand what I mean. You will question the sanity of leaders in that place.

OMPADEC, NDDC, 13% derivation, Ministry of Niger Delta and even the MNOC aid.

Why will Brass be developed when your god Buhari joined Abacha to steal the money meant for its development? Ole!

Isnt it the same reason why we call you guys hypocrites? Keep indicting yourself! grin
Re: We Don’t Have Water, Yet Lagos Govt Waters Flowers –residents by gurnam: 11:45am On Nov 17, 2013
I live in Ikosi-Ketu and I can say I have uninterrupted water supply without any need to put any water storage tank in place...

It may not be like that all over the state...but the govt is not sleeping.

Some people that don't know nor been to Lagos think when you say Lagos..you mean Owerri...Enugu...Awka...Asaba...or PH.

If you want to compare Asaba...Owerri...Enugu...Awka...then you will be doing that with Ikeja and not Lagos.

4 Likes

Re: We Don’t Have Water, Yet Lagos Govt Waters Flowers –residents by theoctopus: 11:46am On Nov 17, 2013
dahfweshdude69: maybe u guys ain't lucky...when I still stayed in ikd, we do receive water supply from 12-6 everyday...but ever since some stubborn citizens who will never do anything good decided to destroy d pipes dat do supply us water, d delivery of water has stopped... I stay in lekki now...we only have public bore holes in each street in my area...I don't know about others o

So luck is now required to get portable water from the LASG? Now wa oh! Since 1999, still nothing. What a useless state government. Bunch of rogues! With about 30 billion monthly IGR, all they can do is water flowers! pathetic!

1 Like

Re: We Don’t Have Water, Yet Lagos Govt Waters Flowers –residents by gurnam: 11:47am On Nov 17, 2013
theoctopus:

So luck is now required to get portable water from the LASG? Now wa oh! Since 1999, still nothing. What a useless state government. Bunch of rogues! With about 30 billion monthly IGR, all they can do is water flowers! pathetic!

When was your last visit to Lagos.?

2 Likes

Re: We Don’t Have Water, Yet Lagos Govt Waters Flowers –residents by theoctopus: 11:49am On Nov 17, 2013
gurnam:

When was your last visit to Lagos.?

Visit to Lagos ke? I am a full time Lagosian my friend! More Lagosian than you can ever dream of! Yeye dey smell true true! grin
Re: We Don’t Have Water, Yet Lagos Govt Waters Flowers –residents by ballabriggs: 11:49am On Nov 17, 2013
theoctopus:

Why will Brass be developed when your god Buhari joined Abacha to steal the money meant for its development? Ole!

Isnt it the same reason why we call you guys hypocrites? Keep indicting yourself! grin

Jonafraud was in OMPADEC with Eric Opia. Jonafraud was with Alams and they emptied Bayelsa.

Care to ask Jonafraud why Bayelsa is still a shithole after all the money earned?

5 Likes

Re: We Don’t Have Water, Yet Lagos Govt Waters Flowers –residents by Nobody: 11:50am On Nov 17, 2013
At least there is available of water to drink and for domestic use in Lagos. Last time I checked, people of bayelsa the home state of jonathan drink and bath with contaminated water. Op,you should be bothered about that.

3 Likes

Re: We Don’t Have Water, Yet Lagos Govt Waters Flowers –residents by ballabriggs: 11:50am On Nov 17, 2013
theoctopus:

Visit to Lagos ke? I am a full time Lagosian my friend! More Lagosian than you can ever dream of! Yeye dey smell true true! grin

You Lagos ke. That is if Oronto has divorced you.
Re: We Don’t Have Water, Yet Lagos Govt Waters Flowers –residents by dahfweshdude69: 11:52am On Nov 17, 2013
theoctopus:

Dude do u live in Lagos?... when I say u ain't lucky it simply means d useless citizens destroyed d pipes in ur area...places with regular water supply have their pipes intact...If u ain't a lagosian...just keep quiet and mind ur business
Re: We Don’t Have Water, Yet Lagos Govt Waters Flowers –residents by ballabriggs: 11:54am On Nov 17, 2013
Rad1cal:

over 70% of the populace still lacks water and the guy is still yarning okpikes concerning km from Lagos- Kano.

Mumu with his other ID. If Jonafraud had done enough in Bayelsa, Lagos will have less people to deal with. With it's resources, it will reach more quickly.

Brass has contaminated water.

How can Jona care about Brass drinking contaminated water when he lives on ogogoro.

5 Likes

Re: We Don’t Have Water, Yet Lagos Govt Waters Flowers –residents by theoctopus: 11:55am On Nov 17, 2013
berem: At least there is available of water to drink and for domestic use. Last time I checked, people of bayelsa the home state of jonathan drink and bath with contaminated water. Op,you should be bothered about that.

I cannot be bothered about that because that is precisely what we are changing now. The looting of the Niger Delta by these foreign thieves and bigots! shebi you claim Buhari performed well in PTF, yet Bayelsa never got anything in five years apart from the hanging of Saro Wiwa! Now, it is clear Buhari was a crook who just connived with Abacha to steal billions and now he is going around dressed like an Almajiri and claiming he is poor. Oles and bigots! what a combination

1 Like

Re: We Don’t Have Water, Yet Lagos Govt Waters Flowers –residents by theoctopus: 12:00pm On Nov 17, 2013
dahfweshdude69: Dude do u live in Lagos?... when I say u ain't lucky it simply means d useless citizens destroyed d pipes in ur area...places with regular water supply have their pipes intact...If u ain't a lagosian...just keep quiet and mind ur business

Shut up my friend! You this ekiti man who migrated a few years back talking about Lagos. Where were you when Ikeja was still a bush and Allen was called the street for drug barons? where were you when everyone knew each other in Surulere? Olodo! ACN has mortgaged Lagos and stolen the state blind. They cant even provide the basics! If people destroyed the water pipes, isnt it the job of the authorities to fix and protect it? What kind of flimsy excuse for incompetence is this? Fashola is a disgrace. We will boo him anytime we see hm in our vicinity again. yeye

1 Like

Re: We Don’t Have Water, Yet Lagos Govt Waters Flowers –residents by gurnam: 12:01pm On Nov 17, 2013
theoctopus:

Probably living in one of those refuge like parts of Lagos state by those fleeing their gully and erosion infested region due to miserable governance by the eddiotts you lot keep voting into power due to your pre-historic age and primordial sentiment...

3 Likes

Re: We Don’t Have Water, Yet Lagos Govt Waters Flowers –residents by Rad1cal: 12:02pm On Nov 17, 2013
ballabriggs:

Mumu with his other ID. If Jonafraud had done enough in Bayelsa, Lagos will have less people to deal with. With it's resources, it will reach more quickly.

Brass has contaminated water.

How can Jona care about Brass drinking contaminated water when he lives on ogogoro.

Olodo, Na you help me open my account. Make you redress yourself abeg.

So because Brass has contaminated water, Lagos with her piling debt + 30 billion monthly alawee shouldn't dispense her constitutional obligation to their inhabitants.

Sir, you are very dense.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I’m On A Rescue Mission – Obasanjo / Fayose Issues A Statement On The Recent Happenings In Ekiti. / Mimiko, Obanikoro Lose Their Respective Wards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.