Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,527 members, 7,819,896 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:51 AM

Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN (30757 Views)

LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY / UNILORIN--FUNAAB: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: FUNAAB / OAU--ABU ZARIA: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by TheLastNazgul(m): 2:06pm On Nov 30, 2013
getrichfast:

From what you said here now, has copying the western culture placed us in a class of our own??
If culture truly has unalienable features which set it and others within it aside from others, how has abandoning our own culture and picking that of the white man set us aside from them??
As I said earlier, one of these intrinsic features is adaptability. Culture is like a sponge. It's absorbent. As per your assertion, I said culture itself not any particular culture places the human race in a class of it's own.
As per cultural isolation of ourselves, any right thinking social group ought to select carefully the tenets of the culture it's adapting to.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by JudeP(m): 2:08pm On Nov 30, 2013
i-am-winner...you still hav'nt given a response to d questions before you
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Nobody: 2:09pm On Nov 30, 2013

bravo!! @getrichfast
But there is no reason for you to accuse the western culture for the ills in our society. Every culture has It's positive and negative aspects. Our own Nigerian culture has good and bad sides. Therefore whether it is nigerian or western culture. It is the duty of every individual to make 'use' of it and not to make 'misuse' of IT.
What you have just sayed is as a result of the fact that the youths have misused the western culture because our elders, educationists, reformers have failed to make us have a good understanding of our nigerian culture and Its importance. The ill effects we experience in our societies are due to the misuse of whatever culture we adopt.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by TheLastNazgul(m): 2:13pm On Nov 30, 2013
getrichfast: WESTERN CIVILIZATION HAS DONE MORE HARM THAN GOOD TO OUR CULTURE
During the post colonial era, African women and fashion
played an important role in showcasing Africa’s beauty in
what was then referred to as the Pride of the African
Woman. They dressed with dignity and made sure all
sensitive parts of their bodies were adequately covered.
Practices such as indecent exposure; exposed cleavage,
Unclad stomach and all other sensitive body parts were
completely unacceptable to the African woman who placed
her dignity above anything else.

This staement of yours brings to the fore the maidens dance of Swaziland, a festival of sorts that entailed damsels of certain ages displaying ample quantities of their cleavage and other unsavoury parts in a bid to nick husbands. Mind telling how western civilisation birthed this obscene culture that is an integral part of the local culture of the aforementioned nation?

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Nobody: 2:14pm On Nov 30, 2013
getrichfast:

Rightly defined i must say. but i want to ask, what would happen if Nigeria developed itself. The westerners are humans like us, they don't have two heads. Wouldn't it be better to be slaves to our own initiated modern culture than to be slaves to that of another man's country?
[color=#blue]slaves to our own modern culture.
It seems like you dont have a glimpse of some of the inhumane things we have and refer to as our culture.. Killing of twins. How would you feel if that kind of culture still existed.. What about slave trade, forceful marriages, discrimatory practices??!!. [/color]
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by getrichfast: 2:14pm On Nov 30, 2013
The Last Nazgûl: Communication need not be done via the use of bonfires on hilltops, one need not go through all that stress anymore as civilisation has infused a plethora of better communication channels.

You can bring civilization to man, but you cannot force him to accept it. Yes, civilization has brought about modern communication channels, but what has civilization done about the issue of a common lay man who might not be able to afford the so called modern communication channels??

It has been seen on some of this modern communication gadgets like the mobile phone that they do loose network coverage sometimes, unexpectedly if i should add, but i believe the so called bonfires and smoke signals are ever available and online smiley
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Nobody: 2:18pm On Nov 30, 2013
The Last Nazgûl: I fully grasp the fact that you seek to pass off the western culture as an amoral one. I however find it difficult to understand the above quotation. Divorce has always been a part of the Nigerian culture though it is unpopular. That aside, mind throwing more light on this statements as per the western culture's supposed creating a wedge between a couple and their extended family members? While you are at it, you may very well explain the role extended family members play in the prevention of divorce .
a clear example f the importance of the extended family is seen in our every day life.sometimes things get hard, instead of street begging, the family would seek hlp from extended family memers. The extended family members even help to settle small family disputes.divorce is never heard oof in our vilages, our grand fathers live with their wives all their lifl, but that is rare today because of westernizaton
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Nobody: 2:18pm On Nov 30, 2013
Getrichfast..
You made mention of dance.. I don't see how the likes of etighi,azonto etc originated from westerners..
Was etighi not invented in nigeria??

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Fynestboi: 2:19pm On Nov 30, 2013
20minutes to end this realm..
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by getrichfast: 2:20pm On Nov 30, 2013
The Last Nazgûl:
This staement of yours brings to the fore the maidens dance of Swaziland, a festival of sorts that entailed damsels of certain ages displaying ample quantities of their cleavage and other unsavoury parts in a bid to nick husbands. Mind telling how western civilisation birthed this obscene culture that is an integral part of the local culture of the aforementioned nation?

Note your comment there. As you said, it is their culture, secondly it is a festival, thirdly only selected maidens dress that way, fourthly it is for the purpose of bidding for husbands.
I don't see any line in your post that says on a normal day the maidens dress that way.
In addition, Swaziland, though a country, is also a kingdom, Nigeria on the other hand is a country though containing several kingdoms.
But the problem here is that the western mode of dressing has become our daily attire. The so called swaziland dance, i believe is done with cultural attires, quote me if i am wrong

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by TheLastNazgul(m): 2:21pm On Nov 30, 2013
getrichfast: WESTERN CIVILIZATION HAS DONE MORE HARM THAN GOOD TO OUR CULTURE
In addition, the discovery of oil has helped immensely as
well as caused a lot of damage. Before now, Nigerians
could farm, feeding was never a problem, but after the
discovery of oil, Agriculture was abandoned. Now, everyone
wants to work in a company. Our problem is that we copy
and fail to copy well. The white man has oil companies, and
still has farms for food production, but all we want is the
oil, forgetting Agriculture which is the mainstay of the
country and potential major source of income.

Nigeria was once a agrarian society and her diversification of the economy via her entry into the Oil and gas sector is justified. This is in line with moving with the economic times given her possessing abundant petroleum resources. Mind telling how this development has eroded our culture and how a return to agriculture would stem the tide of cultural and moral bankruptcy that you claim has taken hold of us.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Nobody: 2:21pm On Nov 30, 2013
Elliotwiz1: I totally disagree wit you on this before №ω everyone was equal, everyone in a community would come together to deliberate on important issuesm every single person in a village would be represented through the family head, but not anymore.poor people are not allowed to speak up. Not even in religious gathering not to tak about political and social gatherings.
how was the igbo culture equal to that of the hausa's or the yoruba's??
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Nobody: 2:24pm On Nov 30, 2013
getrichfast:

i want to ask, don't you think the so called westerners have superstitions of their own??
Take for example the believe in vampires, zombies, witches riding broom sticks and the likes
i have said this before.. Every culture has it good as well as bad side. It is left for us to choose which of them to adopt into our culture.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by getrichfast: 2:24pm On Nov 30, 2013
I-am-Winner:
Getrichfast..
You made mention of dance.. I don't see how the likes of etighi,azonto etc originated from westerners..
Was etighi not invented in nigeria??

Yes, invented in Nigeria, but in a quest to copy who?? Is it not still pointing to those who tried to show them that what they call culture is local, and should be disregarded. The westerners do not regard our culture as much as we regard theirs. If they do, why don't they atleast adapt a little to ours, just as we have done to theirs??
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Fynestboi: 2:26pm On Nov 30, 2013
10minutes more.

Judges get set to ask question.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by TheLastNazgul(m): 2:26pm On Nov 30, 2013
Elliotwiz1: a clear example f the importance of the extended family is seen in our every day life.sometimes things get hard, instead of street begging, the family would seek hlp from extended family memers. The extended family members even help to settle small family disputes.divorce is never heard oof in our vilages, our grand fathers live with their wives all their lifl, but that is rare today because of westernizaton
I don't intend to attack you so ferociously but you have failed to state how exactly these Messiahs in the form of extended family members have curbed divorce given that divorce is not a nascent development in cultural circles as a study of Nigeria's customary law provides ample evidence of the option of a divorce in a dysfunctuonal marriage
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Nobody: 2:30pm On Nov 30, 2013
getrichfast:

Yes, invented in Nigeria, but in a quest to copy who?? Is it not still pointing to those who tried to show them that what they call culture is local, and should be disregarded. The westerners do not regard our culture as much as we regard theirs. If they do, why don't they atleast adapt a little to ours, just as we have done to theirs??
have you not seen occassions where the westerners have put on traditional attires of nnigerians??. Have you not seen where settle down to eat nigerian foods??.

By the way who told you that etighi was invented for the sole purpose of ''copy copy'' as you said??. Etighi was long in existence way before you and i were born. It just recently that it started entering the limelight
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by getrichfast: 2:30pm On Nov 30, 2013
The Last Nazgûl:
Nigeria was once a agrarian society and her diversification of the economy via her entry into the Oil and gas sector is justified. This is in line with moving with the economic times given her possessing abundant petroleum resources. Mind telling how this development has eroded our culture and how a return to agriculture would stem the tide of cultural and moral bankruptcy that you claim has taken hold of us.

very simple....make reference to ancient times......there was nothing like oil-tapping and the likes, mining was present, but no oil exploration.

Now, we Nigerians are blessed with fertile soils all over the federation, and we can see in our modern day that such land meant for agriculture is been used to build plants and firms. The oil as you have rightfully implied generates income, but how many of us enjoy its revenues. The oil in question is not food, we can't eat it, it will finish sooner or later, what then happens to the land so devastatingly polluted by the oil products which is no longer suit for agriculture which would have then returned to take its place as the income generator
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by TheLastNazgul(m): 2:34pm On Nov 30, 2013
getrichfast:

You can bring civilization to man, but you cannot force him to accept it. Yes, civilization has brought about modern communication channels, but what has civilization done about the issue of a common lay man who might not be able to afford the so called modern communication channels??

It has been seen on some of this modern communication gadgets like the mobile phone that they do loose network coverage sometimes, unexpectedly if i should add, but i believe the so called bonfires and smoke signals are ever available and online smiley
If there's one thing I know about technology, it's the fact that it's ubiquitous, relatively commonplace. Technology or in this case communication technology is not the exclusive preserve of the rich as a range of communication devices are availiable for both ends of the economic spectrum this affording the pauper and the lord of the manor the opportunity to nick a gadget of their choice regardless of their economic restrictions or otherwise.
Also, your second question is quite ridiculous, pardon me. A fire on a hill is no match for a modern gizmo regardless of it's drawbacks. I never said there were no snafus. No system is perfect.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by getrichfast: 2:35pm On Nov 30, 2013
I-am-Winner:
have you not seen occassions where the westerners have put on traditional attires of nnigerians??. Have you not seen where settle down to eat nigerian foods??.

By the way who told you that etighi was invented for the sole purpose of ''copy copy'' as you said??. Etighi was long in existence way before you and i were born. It just recently that it started entering the limelight

eating our food and putting on our attire does't mean they have adapted to our culture, why can't they share in our various beliefs as well

if etighi has been in existence, why is it just surfacing now, and why didn't you point out the azonto dance?? or didn't i mention that too?? is it because you know very well that it is of Ghanian origin??
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by JudeP(m): 2:35pm On Nov 30, 2013
2 more minutes
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by TheLastNazgul(m): 2:36pm On Nov 30, 2013
getrichfast:

very simple....make reference to ancient times......there was nothing like oil-tapping and the likes, mining was present, but no oil exploration.

Now, we Nigerians are blessed with fertile soils all over the federation, and we can see in our modern day that such land meant for agriculture is been used to build plants and firms. The oil as you have rightfully implied generates income, but how many of us enjoy its revenues. The oil in question is not food, we can't eat it, it will finish sooner or later, what then happens to the land so devastatingly polluted by the oil products which is no longer suit for agriculture which would have then returned to take its place as the income generator
your efforts are applaudable but they have missed the mark. How did this economic drift erode the cultural values you hold dear? This is a cultural debate not one on trickle down economics as revenue sharing is totally out of the question.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by getrichfast: 2:37pm On Nov 30, 2013
The Last Nazgûl: If there's one thing I know about technology, it's the fact that it's ubiquitous, relatively commonplace. Technology or in this case communication technology is not the exclusive preserve of the rich as a range of communication devices are availiable for both ends of the economic spectrum this affording the pauper and the lord of the manor the opportunity to nick a gadget of their choice regardless of their economic restrictions or otherwise.
Also, your second question is quite ridiculous, pardon me. A fire on a hill is no match for a modern gizmo regardless of it's drawbacks. I never said there were no snafus. No system is perfect.

yes i know that, but what would you supposedly do if you are stranded in a jungle or remote village, no network coverage, or power down on your gizmo, what then would be your alternative?? Shouting??
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by JudeP(m): 2:37pm On Nov 30, 2013
This section is now closed
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Nobody: 2:37pm On Nov 30, 2013
Lets get it right friends (getrichfast and eliotwizi)..
Rather than western civilization being the cause of several harms in our society, It is we that are responsible for the harms because we have failed to understand the importance of our own culture and also accepted the negative aspects of western civilization.. Thefore instead of saying that Westrn culture ruins our society. It will be appropriate if we guide ourselves with what to choose and what to discard from the Western culture.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by TheLastNazgul(m): 2:39pm On Nov 30, 2013
getrichfast:

Note your comment there. As you said, it is their culture, secondly it is a festival, thirdly only selected maidens dress that way, fourthly it is for the purpose of bidding for husbands.
I don't see any line in your post that says on a normal day the maidens dress that way.
In addition, Swaziland, though a country, is also a kingdom, Nigeria on the other hand is a country though containing several kingdoms.
But the problem here is that the western mode of dressing has become our daily attire. The so called swaziland dance, i believe is done with cultural attires, quote me if i am wrong
so you admit that our culture(s) is/aren't entirely devoid of unsavoury and amoral aspects albeit for festive reasons and for sake of seeking husbands?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by JudeP(m): 2:39pm On Nov 30, 2013
We have all heard from our debaters.i must say it has been interesting thus far.
I believe our judges have some questions for them...
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by getrichfast: 2:41pm On Nov 30, 2013
The Last Nazgûl: your efforts are applaudable but they have missed the mark. How did this economic drift erode the cultural values you hold dear? This is a cultural debate not one on trickle down economics as revenue sharing is totally out of the question.

if that is what you want then you shall get it. Has it come to your mind that since the advent of the oil companies, no one wants to think of their culture?? Due to work, some of us don't even know where we come from again. Many people have not visited their villages for over 10 years, i have such a colleague. How then do you intend to carry on the culture when the old folks die??
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by TheLastNazgul(m): 2:44pm On Nov 30, 2013
getrichfast:

if that is what you want then you shall get it. Has it come to your mind that since the advent of the oil companies, no one wants to think of their culture?? Due to work, some of us don't even know where we come from again. Many people have not visited their villages for over 10 years, i have such a colleague. How then do you intend to carry on the culture when the old folks die??
so working in Oil coys causes amnesia? Truly, we learn everyday.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by getrichfast: 2:46pm On Nov 30, 2013
The Last Nazgûl: so working in Oil coys causes amnesia? Truly, we learn everyday.

no, but it seems our quest for money and fame causes it
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by JudeP(m): 2:46pm On Nov 30, 2013
Judges pls u can start asking your questions now..and debaters no more responding to each others questions...Only answer questions from d judges.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Nobody: 2:48pm On Nov 30, 2013
getrichfast:

eating our food and putting on our attire does't mean they have adapted to our culture, why can't they share in our various beliefs as well

if etighi has been in existence, why is it just surfacing now, and why didn't you point out the azonto dance?? or didn't i mention that too?? is it because you know very well that it is of Ghanian origin??
what sort of beliefs are you refering to??.
Give me one example of belief you are talking about??.

ghana can enter the picture!! Afterall it is not a western country!!.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Sylvester Oromoni's 12th Posthumous Birthday (Pictures, Video) / UNIZIK SUG President, Others Beat Up Security Man For Locking School Gate(photo) / Chief Zebrudaya Goes Back To School At 64 [PHOTOS]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.