Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,462 members, 7,823,077 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:29 PM

Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN (30774 Views)

LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY / UNILORIN--FUNAAB: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: FUNAAB / OAU--ABU ZARIA: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Obinoscopy(m): 2:53pm On Nov 30, 2013
Getrichfast: In conclusion, another area affected greatly is our mode of dance. Before now, we all cherished our different cultural dances, but now that has been thrown to the dogs and the likes of dances like ‘alingo’, “azonto”, ‘break-dance’, ‘etigi’, etc are now making waves. Our culture is gradually fading away, and the western civilization is to be blamed for this.
I understand you have addressed the rebuttals on this aspect. However the topic of discussion is on western civilisation, if I'm not mistaken. So whats the correlation between the bolded and western civilization? Isn't those dances in the bolded not an example of African dances as opposed to the western dances like the break-dance?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by getrichfast: 2:53pm On Nov 30, 2013
I-am-Winner:
what sort of beliefs are you refering to??.
Give me one example of belief you are talking about??.

ghana can enter the picture!! Afterall it is not a western country!!.
why dont they believe the yoruba creation story or the hausa creation story. Pls mind you, dont counter this with the bible, put into consideration the westerners scientific theory of man's origin
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by getrichfast: 2:56pm On Nov 30, 2013
Obinoscopy: I understand you have addressed the rebuttals on this aspect. However the topic of discussion is on western civilisation, if I'm not mistaken. So whats the correlation between the bolded and western civilization?

rightly asked. But i want to counter your question with another. Is this dance of cultural origin, or of social origin as a result of the so called western civilization??
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Nobody: 2:56pm On Nov 30, 2013
getrichfast:
why dont they believe the yoruba creation story or the hausa creation story. Pls mind you, dont counter this with the bible, put into consideration the westerners scientific theory of man's origin
*lafs* oga do you believe those cock and bull stories??
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by getrichfast: 2:59pm On Nov 30, 2013
I-am-Winner:
*lafs* oga do you believe those cock and bull stories??
i dont, but if the westerners want the world to believe theirs, they might as well believe ours
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Obinoscopy(m): 3:01pm On Nov 30, 2013
Elliotwitz: Presently, to be African is to be backward and untouched by the wind
of civilization and modernity. Yet years before the east or west,
Africa was the centre of the universe, the beginning of mankind and the source of all living things
Please could you throw more light at the bolded?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by UjSizzle(f): 3:01pm On Nov 30, 2013
Elliotwiz1: I totally disagree wit you on this before №ω everyone was equal, everyone in a community would come together to deliberate on important issuesm every single person in a village would be represented through the family head, but not anymore.poor people are not allowed to speak up. Not even in religious gathering not to tak about political and social gatherings.
You are of the opinion that the presence of the caste system is a feature of Western Civilisation.
Are you aware that this system have been in existence in the Igbo land way before the Westerners? And even worse was that they(osu of the lower caste) weren't allowed to interact fullu with the upper caste?
All of which have been laid aside with the emergence of fundamental human rights brought about by Westernization to ensure a level of equality?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by DesChyko1(m): 3:01pm On Nov 30, 2013
@Elliotwiz/Getrichfast, Majority of your team's arguments centred on Indecency and Moral decline, meaning that's the biggest impact Westernization had in Nigeria. But is it fair enough to place the bulk of the blame on Westernization, thus, undermining the role of a parent in bringing up a child properly?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Obinoscopy(m): 3:06pm On Nov 30, 2013
getrichfast:
rightly asked. But i want to counter your question with another. Is this dance of cultural origin, or of social origin as a result of the so called western civilization??
I find it odd that you are replying my question with a question grin. I am not a fellow contestant, I just need some clarifications to enable me grade your presentation effectively. However I will reply your question to the best of my knowledge. I know Etighi is a dance form either Calabar or Akwa Ibom. The dance has been in existence for a while even before the popularity of the disco and break dance. However it was not popular until now. Azonto is a Ghanian dance and not a werstern dance. As regards Alingo, well I know it was coined by Africans, not sure of its origin though.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Nobody: 3:07pm On Nov 30, 2013
getrichfast:
i dont, but if the westerners want the world to believe theirs, they might as well believe ours
thank You sir!!. They want us to believe theirs the same way we want them to believe ours.. It is now left for both parties to decide '' should I believe or not?? ''... Personal responsibility comes into play here.. The fact that i told you to do something does not mean that i am to blame for whatever result you may get from doing what i asked you do!!.. If we want to move forward we should assume personal responsility..
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by getrichfast: 3:07pm On Nov 30, 2013
♥Dεs•Chγκσ♥:
@Elliotwiz/Getrichfast, Majority of your team's arguments centred on Indecency and Moral decline, meaning that's the biggest impact Westernization had in Nigeria. But is it fair enough to place the bulk of the blame on Westernization, thus, undermining the role of a parent in bringing up a child properly?

may i add that most parents are doing incredibly well bringing up their children, but you cant monitor them 24/7 if you agree with me. And the youths of our days, no matter how you try, they always tend to do that which is on their mind, you can haRdly dictate for them what to wear or how to behave anymore
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by UjSizzle(f): 3:08pm On Nov 30, 2013
GetRichFast, your argument centred mainly on the African adoption of Western mode of dressing, which you believe is the major reason for the molestation cases in the country.

Can you explain how this argument will hold ground if we bring India into the picture. They have managed to maintain their culture of decent dressing, and yet have one of the highest rape cases.

So do you really think that the presence of molestation is a function of indecent mode of dressing, or lack of self control in the male specie?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Obinoscopy(m): 3:11pm On Nov 30, 2013
I-am-Winner:
Western culture has not only removed many evils from our society but has also made concerted efforts to bring in equality among all people of the country.
Please can you clarify how western culture has ensured the bolded?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Fynestboi: 3:13pm On Nov 30, 2013
Debaters, pls respond to question(s) posted at you as soon as the question is visible.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Nobody: 3:13pm On Nov 30, 2013
Obinoscopy: Please can you clarify how western culture has ensured the bolded?
Thank You Sir!

western culture has helped to avert evils. Proofs include aborting the inhumane killing of Twins, stopped the osu caste system which occurred in the eastern parts of nigeria whereby certain groups of people were refered to as osu. They were thoroughly discriminated and were called names slaves,outcast, untouchable. Stopped the burying of people alive. This was done in the past to appease the gods.

As for the equality issue, western civilization has tried through channels as education and christainity to abolish the various beliefs that existed in the various ethnic groups existing in nigeria and make all of them have new beliefs which are good thus creating equality.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by getrichfast: 3:15pm On Nov 30, 2013
In my country nigeria, yes, its because of indecent dressing, and clubbing which is a western mode of socializing and having fun. Lets not deviate though. India is not an african country. More to say, our cultures are totally different
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Obinoscopy(m): 3:18pm On Nov 30, 2013
The Last Nazgûl: Medicare has moved from the realm of applying herbal poultices to wounds and sundry other ailments to modern treatment techniques-antifungal drugs, antibiotics, anti-venom, to mention a few. Infrastructure has moved past the phase of mud houses to that of glorious edifices,skyscrapers, villas et al.
Are you saying that the modern treatment techniques were all a result of western culture? Certainly our Asian and middle-east brothers contributed their lots, don't you think? I also observed you equated western culture with civilization. There are several school of thoughts who argued that civilization began here in Africa. Whats your take on that?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by JudeP(m): 3:18pm On Nov 30, 2013
Audience....you may now ask your questions.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by UjSizzle(f): 3:19pm On Nov 30, 2013
Communication need not be done via the use of bonfires on hilltops, one need not go through all that stress anymore as civilisation has infused a plethora of better communication channels.
@The Last Nazgul,
That's a quote from your opening line.
While I agree with how western civilisation has brought about technological progress in the country, you must be aware that in the communication sector(and the advent of gsm) network coverage from service providers have not reached all nooks and crannies of the country.
With the loss of simple means of communication eg bonfires as an SOS signal, and the craze amongst our youths to confirm to westernisation, how would Westernisation help to save to the life of a youth who got lost in the forest and has lost network coverage for his gsm?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Nobody: 3:20pm On Nov 30, 2013
Obinoscopy: Please could you throw more light at the bolded?
before now civilization was concentrated in africa. the countries around the meditarn was the centre of civilization. egypt precisely. e.g the greatest architects were on african soil. they built the pyramids and dams. people from everywhere came to acquire wisdom from africa.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by getrichfast: 3:21pm On Nov 30, 2013
I-am-Winner:
thank You sir!!. They want us to believe theirs the same way we want them to believe ours.. It is now left for both parties to decide '' should I believe or not?? ''... Personal responsibility comes into play here.. The fact that i told you to do something does not mean that i am to blame for whatever result you may get from doing what i asked you do!!.. If we want to move forward we should assume personal responsility..

thank you...my point exactly, thus bringing us back to square one....we have been so much influenced that we are like water going in the direction we are channeled. We no longer have a stand, we are complete slaves to their culture. Our low self esteem makes us believe they are always right and we are wrong
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Incredyable(m): 3:21pm On Nov 30, 2013
Let's assume that this western culture was brought to uniben alone and ndu remained in our old culture, in a competition like this how would you participate knowing fully well that English language is the accepted language and any other languages are vernacular. Western education has done more good than bad to us both individually and nationally.my question is how will you cope in the society as a whole?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by UjSizzle(f): 3:21pm On Nov 30, 2013
getrichfast: In my country nigeria, yes, its because of indecent dressing, and clubbing which is a western mode of socializing and having fun. Lets not deviate though. India is not an african country. More to say, our cultures are totally different
Are you saying the muslims who are totally covered up don't get raped too?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Obinoscopy(m): 3:22pm On Nov 30, 2013
Elliotwiz1: before now civilization was concentrated in africa. the countries around the meditarn was the centre of civilization. egypt precisely. e.g the greatest architects were on african soil. they built the pyramids and dams. people from everywhere came to acquire wisdom from africa.
Okay thanks for your clarification.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by JudeP(m): 3:22pm On Nov 30, 2013
Jude P: Audience....you may now ask your questions.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by getrichfast: 3:25pm On Nov 30, 2013
uj_sizzle:
Are you saying the muslims who are totally covered up don't get raped too?
the muslims you say?? How many of the nowaday muslims can you stand for that are completely covered up like before. Even the school uniforms nowadays makes that rather impossible
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Nobody: 3:27pm On Nov 30, 2013
Obinoscopy: Please can you clarify how western culture has ensured the bolded?
Thank You Sir!

western culture has helped to avert evils. Proofs include aborting the inhumane killing of Twins, stopped the osu caste system which occurred in the eastern parts of nigeria whereby certain groups of people were refered to as osu. They were thoroughly discriminated and were called names slaves,outcast, untouchable. Stopped the burying of people alive. This was done in the past to appease the gods.

As for the equality issue, western civilization has tried through channels as education and christainity to abolish the various beliefs that existed in the various ethnic groups existing in nigeria and make all of them have new beliefs which are good thus creating equality.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by JudeP(m): 3:29pm On Nov 30, 2013
Debaters respond to your questions while the judges compile the Results
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Obinoscopy(m): 3:29pm On Nov 30, 2013
I-am-Winner:

Thank You Sir!

Ok thanks
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by getrichfast: 3:30pm On Nov 30, 2013
Incredyable: Let's assume that this western culture was brought to uniben alone and ndu remained in our old culture, in a competition like this how would you participate knowing fully well that English language is the accepted language and any other languages are vernacular. Western education has done more good than bad to us both individually and nationally.my question is how will you cope in the society as a whole?
i cant cope with them, and they cant cope with me either. Fine, the introduction of one official language is good, but does that mean we should abandon ours. Ok, take for instance, the official language has been introduced, some learnt, some didnt. Isnt that worse, majority of people within your own tribe would not even be able to commune with you, because you dont have a cultural language background
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Nobody: 3:31pm On Nov 30, 2013
Incredyable: Let's assume that this western culture was brought to uniben alone and ndu remained in our old culture, in a competition like this how would you participate knowing fully well that English language is the accepted language and any other languages are vernacular. Western education has done more good than bad to us both individually and nationally.my question is how will you cope in the society as a whole?
your question is directed to who sir??
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by JudeP(m): 3:32pm On Nov 30, 2013
judges you can send your results to this mail j_onwordi@yahoo.com

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Sylvester Oromoni's 12th Posthumous Birthday (Pictures, Video) / Chief Zebrudaya Goes Back To School At 64 [PHOTOS] / Unimaid Second List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.