Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,249 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:25 AM

Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN (30741 Views)

LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY / UNILORIN--FUNAAB: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: FUNAAB / OAU--ABU ZARIA: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Incredyable(m): 3:33pm On Nov 30, 2013
We all know that Britain colonized America but America is No 1 in the world today, this is because they adopted what they think and know will help them succeed.
Nigeria didn't view it critically but accepted it all wholeheartedly. If we are ready we can still adjust and do well. But the fact that western culture has to be abolished is a fallacy!! We can't do without it. If we should abolish it, then the corrupt will remain corrupt and the bad will remain bad!!!
My question is will the removal of the western influence eradicate corruption and other social vices in Nigeria
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by getrichfast: 3:35pm On Nov 30, 2013
I-am-Winner:

Thank You Sir!

western culture has helped to avert evils. Proofs include aborting the inhumane killing of Twins, stopped the osu caste system which occurred in the eastern parts of nigeria whereby certain groups of people were refered to as osu. They were thoroughly discriminated and were called names slaves,outcast, untouchable. Stopped the burying of people alive. This was done in the past to appease the gods.
and you believe the likes of this dont happen within some of the said civilized countries. An example racism is not distant when compared to the osu caste system
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Incredyable(m): 3:35pm On Nov 30, 2013
geticraft, i understand my language so well,western language is just a plus for me.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by wisemania(m): 3:36pm On Nov 30, 2013
Elliotwiz1: a clear example f the importance of the extended family is seen in our every day life.sometimes things get hard, instead of street begging, the family would seek hlp from extended family memers. The extended family members even help to settle small family disputes.divorce is never heard oof in our vilages, our grand fathers live with their wives all their lifl, but that is rare today because of westernizaton
good afternoon all...
As regards the text in bold,i'd love you to enlighten my ignorance on the issue of divorce.
Because from you post,you sounded so sure that there wasn't any case whatsoever of divorce in the old days, despite the fact that in some cultures women were being sent away from their matrimonial homes due to reasons best known to their husbands(or isnt that a case of divorce?) or are you implying that dovorce is only seen from a court of law perspective?
2. I'll also like you to shed more light on how "westernization brought about an increase in the rate of divorce"...thank you.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Nobody: 3:36pm On Nov 30, 2013
getrichfast:
thank you...my point exactly, thus bringing us back to square one....we have been so much influenced that we are like water going in the direction we are channeled. We no longer have a stand, we are complete slaves to their culture. Our low self esteem makes us believe they are always right and we are wrong
the low self esteem is not due to influence oh!!.. It is from the individual.. You can tell me to do something bt you cant tell my mind to do it..

I will reiterate again.. We are to blame for the ill effects in our society nt the western civilization.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by getrichfast: 3:37pm On Nov 30, 2013
Incredyable: We all know that Britain colonized America but America is No 1 in the world today, this is because they adopted what they think and know will help them succeed.
Nigeria didn't view it critically but accepted it all wholeheartedly. If we are ready we can still adjust and do well. But the fact that western culture has to be abolished is a fallacy!! We can't do without it.
nobody said it should be abolished. We are only emphasizing on the damage it has caused to our culture
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by getrichfast: 3:39pm On Nov 30, 2013
I-am-Winner:
the low self esteem is not due to influence oh!!.. It is from the individual.. You can tell me to do something bt you cant tell my mind to do it..

I will reiterate again.. We are to blame for the ill effects in our society nt the western civilization.
i believe you speak for yourself, but what about the majority whose low esteem is as a result of inferiority to the westerners
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Nobody: 3:41pm On Nov 30, 2013
getrichfast: i believe you speak for yourself, but what about the majority whose low esteem is as a result of inferiority to the westerners
I am not speaking for my self.. I am speaking for every man..
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Incredyable(m): 3:42pm On Nov 30, 2013
geticraft, what do you do to things that cause damage to you?? you stay away from it ryt!!! staying away is like abolishing it.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by TheLastNazgul(m): 3:43pm On Nov 30, 2013
Obinoscopy: Are you saying that the modern treatment techniques were all a result of western culture? Certainly our Asian and middle-east brothers contributed their lots, don't you think? I also observed you equated western culture with civilization. There are several school of thoughts who argued that civilization began here in Africa. Whats your take on that?
No, I am not as I do not seek undermine the ingenious contributions of the oriental culture(acupuncture et al) and sundry other cultures, that'll be a fallacy of the worst sort. However, the giant strides of Europeans such as William Rottengen ( Discovery of X-rays), Pierre and Marie Curie, Evangelista Toricelli, Alexander Fleming and sundry others cannot be ignored.
The Western hemisphere I admit is not the birthplace of civilisation, no culture can lay claim to that as civilization is a hybrid of several cultures.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Nobody: 3:43pm On Nov 30, 2013
uj_sizzle:
You are of the opinion that the presence of the caste system is a feature of Western Civilisation.
Are you aware that this system have been in existence in the Igbo land way before the Westerners? And even worse was that they(osu of the lower caste) weren't allowed to interact fullu with the upper caste?
All of which have been laid aside with the emergence of fundamental human rights brought about by Westernization to ensure a level of equality?
i'm not saying the prese
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by getrichfast: 3:45pm On Nov 30, 2013
I-am-Winner:
i am not speaking for my self.. I speaking for every man..
you cannot speak for everybody. You cannot sum up every man's point of view into the thoughts of just one person. Dont you think that is one of our problems. The world has accepted USA to be number one. That does not define equality. What then would happen if the US fails in its obligations?? Should we always be tied down to the westerners??

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by JudeP(m): 3:47pm On Nov 30, 2013
Lets keep our fingers crossed our judges are still on d result.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by getrichfast: 3:47pm On Nov 30, 2013
The Last Nazgûl: No, I am not as I do not seek undermine the ingenious contributions of the oriental culture(acupuncture et al) and sundry other cultures, that'll be a fallacy of the worst sort. However, the giant strides of Europeans such as William Rottengen ( Discovery of X-rays), Pierre and Marie Curie, Evangelista Toricelli, Alexander Fleming and sundry others cannot be ignored.
The Western hemisphere I admit is not the birthplace of civilisation
so why then cant we cross breed and get a hybrid, rather than dumping ours completely for theirs
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Obinoscopy(m): 3:49pm On Nov 30, 2013
The Last Nazgûl: No, I am not as I do not seek undermine the ingenious contributions of the oriental culture(acupuncture et al) and sundry other cultures, that'll be a fallacy of the worst sort. However, the giant strides of Europeans such as William Rottengen ( Discovery of X-rays), Pierre and Marie Curie, Evangelista Toricelli, Alexander Fleming and sundry others cannot be ignored.
The Western hemisphere I admit is not the birthplace of civilisation, no culture can lay claim to that as civilization is a hybrid of several cultures.
Thanks for this wonderful response. Although it came rather late.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by TheLastNazgul(m): 3:49pm On Nov 30, 2013
uj_sizzle:
@The Last Nazgul,
That's a quote from your opening line.
While I agree with how western civilisation has brought about technological progress in the country, you must be aware that in the communication sector(and the advent of gsm) network coverage from service providers have not reached all nooks and crannies of the country.
With the loss of simple means of communication eg bonfires as an SOS signal, and the craze amongst our youths to confirm to westernisation, how would Westernisation help to save to the life of a youth who got lost in the forest and has lost network coverage for his gsm?
. First off, ceteri paribus, no system is perfect and 'western civilisation' is no exception to this as it is plagued with it's own attendant snags and drawbacks. I never advocated for a total neglect of local ways. As I said earlier to one of the questions I fielded, a culture ought to accept and adopt the tenets of another culture without jettisoning it's own principles.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by TheLastNazgul(m): 3:52pm On Nov 30, 2013
getrichfast: so why then cant we cross breed and get a hybrid, rather than dumping ours completely for theirs
. I never advocated or campaigned for a total abandonment of indigenous cultures.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by getrichfast: 3:52pm On Nov 30, 2013
The Last Nazgûl: . First off, ceteri paribus, no system is perfect and 'western civilisation' is no exception to this as it is plagued with it's own attendant snags and drawbacks. I never advocated for a total neglect of local ways. As I said earlier to one of the questions I fielded, a culture ought to accept and adopt the tenets of another culture without jettisoning it's own principles.
what can you say about that when nigeria is involved, we have been so influenced that our own principles hardly exist to us
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Nobody: 3:53pm On Nov 30, 2013
getrichfast: you cannot speak for everybody. You cannot sum up every man's point of view into the thoughts of just one person. Dont you think that is one of our problems. The world has accepted USA to be number one. That does not define equality. What then would happen if the US fails in its obligations?? Should we always be tied down to the westerners??
like seriously you went too far.. Why the comparison na? U did nt even compare well.

Believe it or not! Everyman is responsible for his or her actions. Even if there is a gun at your face, you are responsible for whatever decision you make!.
E.g sm1 aproaches u wit a gun and says curse God or die! What will you do?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Incredyable(m): 3:53pm On Nov 30, 2013
The effect of western civilization on Nigeria cannot be over -emphasized. western civilization has done more good than bad........ dazall.......
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by getrichfast: 3:54pm On Nov 30, 2013
The Last Nazgûl: . I never advocated or campaigned for a total abandonment of indigenous cultures.
but it is as a result of the so called western civilization you stand for, and the tremendous rate at which its impact dawned on us that brought about this
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by getrichfast: 3:56pm On Nov 30, 2013
I-am-Winner:
like seriously you went too far.. Why the comparison na? U did nt even compare well.

Believe it or not! Everyman is responsible for his or her actions. Even if there is a gun at your face, you are responsible for whatever decision you make!.
E.g sm1 aproaches u wit a gun and says curse God or die! What will you do?
like you said, we are entitled to our own decisions, so believe you me, you cant speak for every man
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by wisemania(m): 3:57pm On Nov 30, 2013
Elliotwiz1:
The negative impact of Westernization has since spread It's tentacles to every nook and cranny of the Nigerian state, thus influencing and changing the culture of many tribes in our country.Respectfor elders and the elderly is slowly eroding. In western Nigeria for instance, when was the last time you saw a young man prostrate for an elder or a young woman knelling for the grownups?
i did that to my mom earler this morning grin

Today it is mostly "hi" and
"hello" and "how you doing" with heads grudgingly bowed

do you suppose that saying "hi" and "hello" is a sign of disrespect ?

Younger citizens can now boldly insult their parents, this is because
the African culture in all of us is gradually fading away due to the
influence of Westernization.

in other words, younger ones wern't disrespecting their parents before the influence of westernization, right?

People no longer take care of the old,
they see old people as a burden to them. People now visit their grand
parents only when They're sick or during their funeral.

i woudn't agree with you on that,coz not every does that..you shouldn't have generalised it,coz i do visit my older ones,if not often..

Nigerian women now wear wigs, clip-on hairs, fake nails, fake-eyelashes and stenciled eyebrows. You see a forty year old woman with skinny and
slick synthetic hairs. You see fifty year old men and women struggling to hide their true age, something that should be celebrated.

please how is that a "harm" done by westernization?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by getrichfast: 3:58pm On Nov 30, 2013
Incredyable: The effect of western civilization on Nigeria cannot be over -emphasized. western civilization has done more good than bad........ dazall.......
you are not in a position to determine that dear. Things are good and ok in your area doesnt necessarily mean its the same for everybody in their own area
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by JudeP(m): 3:58pm On Nov 30, 2013
Finally the moment we have all been waiting for has arrived.i want to commend all d debaters for their performances,the judges for their time ,audience and visitors alike.
i also want to thank my able partner fynest and all other cordinators.THE RESULT IS AS FOLLOWS:

judge 1
Getrichfast
1. Presentation: 3

2. Logic: 2

3. Strength: 3.5.

4. Persuasiveness: 2

5. Knowledge: 2
TOTAL:  12.5

Elliotwitz1
1. Presentation: 4

2. Logic: 3.5

4. Persuasiveness: 4

5. Knowledge: 3.5
TOTAL:  18.5

I-am-Winner
1. Presentation: 3

2. Logic: 2

4. Persuasiveness: 2

5. Knowledge: 3
TOTAL:  13.5

The Last Nazgûl
1. Presentation: 2.5

2. Logic: 3

3. Strength: 2.5.

4. Persuasiveness: 3

5. Knowledge: 3
TOTAL:  14
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by TheLastNazgul(m): 3:59pm On Nov 30, 2013
getrichfast: what can you say about that when nigeria is involved, we have been so influenced that our own principles hardly exist to us
I'm tired of explaining the same point repeatedly like a broken record. I'd advise you go to a quiet place and mull things over.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by JudeP(m): 4:01pm On Nov 30, 2013
Judge 2
Scores based on Presentation(P), Logic of Argument(LoA), Strength of Facts(SoF), Persuasiveness(Pe) and Demonstration of Knowledge(DoK).

GetRichFast
P--4
LoA--2
SoF--3
P--3
DoK--4
TOTAL--16

Elliontwiz1
P--4
LoA--4
SoF--3
Pe--3
DoK--4
TOTAL--18

I-AM-WINNER
P--4
LoA--4
SoF--4
Pe--4
DoK--4
TOTAL--20

The Last Nazgul
P--3
LoA--4
SoF--4
Pe--3
DoK--4
TOTAL--18
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by getrichfast: 4:01pm On Nov 30, 2013
The Last Nazgûl: I'm tired of explaining the same point repeatedly like a broken record. I'd advise you go to a quiet place and mull things over.
getting grumpy....bad sportmanship
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Obinoscopy(m): 4:03pm On Nov 30, 2013
I want to say a big thank you to all the participants today. You all did great! I certainly learnt a lot from you guys. Weldone!

Getrichfast, your presentation was okay. Your statistics were apt and informative. You also tried in your response to rebuttals, however you failed to address some salient holes that were punctured by your opponents in their rebuttals. Most importantly was whether the etighi dances and the likes were actually a product of western culture or not.

Elliotwitz, for me, your presentation was the best among the four participants. Your initial piece did all the work for you that I found it hard to find any fault. I also think there weren't much rebuttals on your end because your opponents couldn't find much fault as well this resultant made you e not actively involved in the rebuttal stage. I however felt you should have attacked your opponents points more aggressively even if they didn't attack yours.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Nobody: 4:03pm On Nov 30, 2013
getrichfast: like you said, we are entitled to our own decisions, so believe you me, you cant speak for every man
hah! Am so done arguing with you. I wil just advise you to get this book '10 steps to Positive Living' by Windy Dryden! and read.

Nice competitin wit you btw!
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by JudeP(m): 4:08pm On Nov 30, 2013
On the aggregates
NDU
getrich,--28.5
Elliot-----36.5
Total-----65 points

UNIBEN
i-am-winner--33.5
Last naz gurl--32
Total----------65.5

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by JudeP(m): 4:09pm On Nov 30, 2013
I hereby declare Uniben the WINNER of this contest

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Download Cowbell Mathematics Past Ques & Answers Free Of Charge [2009-2019] Here / Russia University Introduces Yoruba Language & Others / FG Stops Striking University Workers’ Salary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.