Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,277 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:26 AM

ANAMBRA POLL: Police Arraign 183 Osun Suspects In Court - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ANAMBRA POLL: Police Arraign 183 Osun Suspects In Court (2397 Views)

N600bn Debt: Contractors Abandon Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, 183 Others / Anambra Poll Results: Ekwunife Sacks Ngige From Senate, Humbles Victor Umeh / 183 Osun "Observers" To Anambra Are Fake - INEC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

ANAMBRA POLL: Police Arraign 183 Osun Suspects In Court by ceo4eva: 12:37am On Nov 21, 2013
OWERRI — The 183 persons from
Osun State arrested last Thursday by
Imo State Police Command for
alleged unlawful assembly and other
electoral offences, were again
arraigned, yesterday, before an Owerri
Magistrate’s Court.
The first drama that unfolded, was
the appearance of two lawyers – one
each from the office of the State
Director of Public Prosecution, DPP,
Mr. Nnamdi Akobundu and the
Deputy Director, Legal Services,
Independent National Electoral
Commission, INEC, Mr. Emmanuel
Ogbodu.
Opposing the appearance of the State
DPP in the matter, Ogbodu hinged his
stand on Section 211 (3) of the
Constitution and Section 150 of the
Electoral Act.
“Section 150 of the Electoral Act
specifically empowered INEC to
prosecute all electoral offences. The
offences contained in the charge are
federal offences. The State DPP does
not therefore, have any business to
prosecute the matter for INEC,”
Ogbodu said.
Continuing, the INEC lawyer told the
court: “In view of the enormity of the
offences, we would not like the DPP
to be part of the prosecution.”
However, the accused were granted
bail in the sum of N50,000 each and
two sureties in like sum..
Responding, the DPP told the court
that the first three charges were
drawn from the state laws, while the
last two were electoral offences.
“If we go by the democratic principles
which INEC represents, we are in the
majority, especially as we have three
in our favour and two for INEC,”
Akobundu said.
In his own submission, counsel to the
accused persons, Chief Uche
Onyeagucha, pleaded with the court
to settle the issue of the prosecution
so that the matter could go on
unhindered.
After this initial legal battle, counsel
on all sides agreed that the legal
team from INEC and the DPP will sort
themselves out before the next
adjourned date.
Another development was the
withdrawal of the initial three count
charges in suit OW/503c/2013
slammed on the 183 accused persons
which were replaced with a five count
charge, OW/520c/2013.
Although the defence did not oppose
the fresh charges, they however
applied for bail, especially as they
were bailable offences.
Chief Onyagucha equally applied that
all the buses impounded and the
telephone handsets seized from the
accused persons be returned to their
owners.
Ogbodu vehemently opposed the
application, adding that the matter
before the court was serious and
should not be treated with kid gloves.
“The nature of the case is very
serious. There is also the issue of the
number of the accused persons. It will
be difficult, if no impossible together
allow them back if granted bail”,
Ogbodu said.
He however submitted that if the
court was favourably disposed to
grant them bail, it must be on very
stringent condition.
Ruling on the application, the
presiding Magistrate, Mrs. Maureen
Onyewuotu, said she was mindful of
the congestion in Owerri Federal
Prisons.
Onyewuotu ordered that whosoever
would sign the bail bond must be
resident within the Court’s
jurisdiction, produce evidence of
payment of tax for three years,
produce two of his passports,
national identity card, drivers licence,
evidence of payment of utility bills.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/11/anambra-poll-police-arraign-183-osun-suspects-court/
Re: ANAMBRA POLL: Police Arraign 183 Osun Suspects In Court by JECBOSS: 12:41am On Nov 21, 2013
I thought APC said they were all Accredited Election Observers. The truth is gradually coming out.
Meanwhile, Congrats to the New Governor Elect of Anambra state, Chief Willie Maduabuchi Obiano.

17 Likes

Re: ANAMBRA POLL: Police Arraign 183 Osun Suspects In Court by Nobody: 12:49am On Nov 21, 2013
JECBOSS: I thought APC said they were all accredited Election Observers. The truth is gradually coming out.
Meanwhile, congrats to the new Governor elect, Chief Willie Maduabuchi Obiano.
Was it only APC that said that. Inec did too

2 Likes

Re: ANAMBRA POLL: Police Arraign 183 Osun Suspects In Court by ozolity(m): 2:05am On Nov 21, 2013
Idi Amin: Was it only APC that said that. Inec did too
if INEC did, one of the prosecuting counsel is from INEC who was even pleading the judge not to bail them.

1 Like

Re: ANAMBRA POLL: Police Arraign 183 Osun Suspects In Court by Caseless: 2:41am On Nov 21, 2013
and d propaganda continues...
Re: ANAMBRA POLL: Police Arraign 183 Osun Suspects In Court by Kingsley1000(m): 6:09am On Nov 21, 2013
It would be unfair if INEC conducts a
supplementary election after a self-
confessed election fraught with
electoral malpractices perfected in the
highest order,even as investigations
are ongoing against some biased
umpires.I feel APC might be better off
securing an injunction restraining
INEC from conducting the
supplementary elections pending the
conclusion and determination of the
ongoing investigations against the
electoral officer; otherwise INEC
should conduct a fresh poll in
Anambra state
Re: ANAMBRA POLL: Police Arraign 183 Osun Suspects In Court by gratiaeo(m): 6:15am On Nov 21, 2013
JECBOSS: I thought APC said they were all Accredited Election Observers. The truth is gradually coming out.
Meanwhile, Congrats to the New Governor Elect of Anambra state, Chief Willie Maduabuchi Obiano.
Yes they are APC accredited election rigers

14 Likes

Re: ANAMBRA POLL: Police Arraign 183 Osun Suspects In Court by gratiaeo(m): 6:18am On Nov 21, 2013
Kingsley1000: It would be unfair if INEC conducts a
INEC from conducting the
Anambra state
Election has been won so boy go and sleep or beta start preparing for 2022

1 Like

Re: ANAMBRA POLL: Police Arraign 183 Osun Suspects In Court by talktimi(m): 6:23am On Nov 21, 2013
But wouldnt it have been easier and neater to get election observers from the SE region ?

1 Like

Re: ANAMBRA POLL: Police Arraign 183 Osun Suspects In Court by biafranqueen: 6:28am On Nov 21, 2013
Kingsley1000: It would be unfair if INEC conducts a
INEC from conducting the
Anambra state
Mr. Smartie Pants that's off topic use this your big English to explain who paid Mr. Babatunde to send riggers from Osun

1 Like

Re: ANAMBRA POLL: Police Arraign 183 Osun Suspects In Court by biafranqueen: 6:29am On Nov 21, 2013
talktimi: But wouldnt it have been easier and neater to get election observers from the SE region ?
they were not observers honey they were carrying APC materials

2 Likes

Re: ANAMBRA POLL: Police Arraign 183 Osun Suspects In Court by biafranqueen: 6:30am On Nov 21, 2013
gratiaeo:
Yes they are APC accredited election rigers
Exactly angry

2 Likes

Re: ANAMBRA POLL: Police Arraign 183 Osun Suspects In Court by kingbang: 6:30am On Nov 21, 2013
The truth has come out! Shame to APC and their e-rats!

9 Likes

Re: ANAMBRA POLL: Police Arraign 183 Osun Suspects In Court by Desric(m): 6:48am On Nov 21, 2013
Bias Thread, Bias Comments, SE Tribal Bigots. Think Positive, Stay Positive, Act Positive. Be the change you desire to see in the World.

1 Like

Re: ANAMBRA POLL: Police Arraign 183 Osun Suspects In Court by talktimi(m): 6:49am On Nov 21, 2013
biafranqueen: they were not observers honey they were carrying APC materials
but the APC are progressives na and progressives dont lie. They told us these people are "election observers". Lai Mohammed gave us a complete update on all their movements before eventual arrest by the evil police ni.

2 Likes

Re: ANAMBRA POLL: Police Arraign 183 Osun Suspects In Court by kennyonthrone(m): 7:30am On Nov 21, 2013
Sso many unseen forces against APC,choi e dn b 4 dem
Re: ANAMBRA POLL: Police Arraign 183 Osun Suspects In Court by Psylas(m): 7:43am On Nov 21, 2013
Idi Amin: Was it only APC that said that. Inec did too
INEC did not say so, i checked there website there was nothing like that, all those yoruba people did was to use one site called osun defender to confuse people

5 Likes

Re: ANAMBRA POLL: Police Arraign 183 Osun Suspects In Court by lovat(m): 7:59am On Nov 21, 2013
PDP, APC are all the same. They all want to grab power through the barrel of the gun but this time wearing agbada and shokoto.
Re: ANAMBRA POLL: Police Arraign 183 Osun Suspects In Court by aryzgreat: 8:25am On Nov 21, 2013
We all can see hw yoruba ppl lie and cover lies with media. Osun defender reported that ds criminals av been freed after INEC confirmed them as observers and dat they r now on dia way to Awka. The truth is gradually coming out. Even d guy dat opened a thread about how they wia contacted and he rejectd was insulted by these APC e-touts for putting up a fake thread.

This shows how d south west manipulate and use d media for propaganda. Even liar muhamed and hell-rufai wia up in arm against d police for arresting election observers.

Bunch of criminals.

6 Likes

Re: ANAMBRA POLL: Police Arraign 183 Osun Suspects In Court by veraponpo(m): 8:26am On Nov 21, 2013
People don't reason at times. How possible do you see it that Yoruba men will go to East to rig election, how many of them? As many as there are Igbo people in Lagos, they dare not try rigging elections there.

Those 183 Osun people could have gone there for the following reasons:
1. To record the anomalies of other party members;
2. They may be true INEC certified observers with all intents and purposes bordering on getting information and gathering data;
3. Other reasons other than rigging ie passing info to their principal, updating other people on their political network,etc.

How do you think ACN were getting those exhibits used in courts in all their cases.

Recently Ngige just said APC has a policeman on tape voting for a political party, etc. These are the likely thing I belive those guys came to do...My belief/ assumptions.

1 Like

Re: ANAMBRA POLL: Police Arraign 183 Osun Suspects In Court by biafranqueen: 8:29am On Nov 21, 2013
talktimi: but the APC are progressives na and progressives dont lie. They told us these people are "election observers". Lai Mohammed gave us a complete update on all their movements before eventual arrest by the evil police ni.
Yes they are progressively becoming a nuisance, I know that APC leaders want the best for us Fashola proved that by offering free transportation for stranded Nigerians and the Alhaji has Anambrians best interest at heart I am sure, he did win best poli thief of the year wink If Ngige really had a case he would stop this nonsense and just go to court, meanwhile the majority of us we are very okay with the results

4 Likes

Re: ANAMBRA POLL: Police Arraign 183 Osun Suspects In Court by Brimmie(m): 8:31am On Nov 21, 2013
Lol.. Am Yoruba N In Osun..

I Knw What They Planned! Bt God Save Obi!!

If Their Plan Was Successful, I Swear Una Go Wear Slippers Sleep Dat Nite Ni! cheesy cheesy
Re: ANAMBRA POLL: Police Arraign 183 Osun Suspects In Court by biafranqueen: 8:31am On Nov 21, 2013
kennyonthrone: Sso many unseen forces against APC,choi e dn b 4 dem
karma is a b¥tch grin
Re: ANAMBRA POLL: Police Arraign 183 Osun Suspects In Court by aryzgreat: 8:40am On Nov 21, 2013
veraponpo:
People don't reason at times. How possible do you see it that Yoruba men will go to East to rig election, how many of them? As many as there are Igbo people in Lagos, they dare not try rigging elections there.

Those 183 Osun people could have gone there for the following reasons:
1. To record the anomalies of other party members;
2. They may be true INEC certified observers with all intents and purposes bordering on getting information and gathering data;
3. Other reasons other than rigging ie passing info to their principal, updating other people on their political network,etc.

How do you think ACN were getting those exhibits used in courts in all their cases.

Recently Ngige just said APC has a policeman on tape voting for a political party, etc. These are the likely thing I belive those guys came to do...My belief/ assumptions.

Wia they accredited? If so why wia they foind with fake INEC I'd cards, voters cards and some incriminating materials as reported by d CP? Y haven't inec clear them if they wia accredited? Y is inec lawyer d one prosecuting them?

183 can't rig election bt they can disrupt election and blame wil be on inec and APGA d ruling party.
Re: ANAMBRA POLL: Police Arraign 183 Osun Suspects In Court by veraponpo(m): 8:47am On Nov 21, 2013
aryzgreat:

Wia they accredited? If so why wia they foind with fake INEC I'd cards, voters cards and some incriminating materials as reported by d CP? Y haven't inec clear them if they wia accredited? Y is inec lawyer d one prosecuting them?

183 can't rig election bt they can disrupt election and blame wil be on inec and APGA d ruling party.

INEC cleared them same day to be certified observers duly trained and identified by INEC but the commissioner of police locked them up insisting they must be charged to court.

That is Nigerian police for you. Just what Mba is doing in Rivers State- total impunity.
Re: ANAMBRA POLL: Police Arraign 183 Osun Suspects In Court by aryzgreat: 9:02am On Nov 21, 2013
veraponpo:

INEC cleared them same day to be certified observers duly trained and identified by INEC but the commissioner of police locked them up insisting they must be charged to court.

That is Nigerian police for you. Just what Mba is doing in Rivers State- total impunity.

Inec cleared them according to ONLY osundefender. Hw come inec lawyer is prosecutin them? And is asking cour not to grant them bail.

4 Likes

Re: ANAMBRA POLL: Police Arraign 183 Osun Suspects In Court by obayaya(m): 9:10am On Nov 21, 2013
I thought they said they were freed.. well.. we'll get to the root of this matter soon enough...

www.nairaland.com/1525812/nigerian-civil-war-debt-must#19687133

1 Like

Re: ANAMBRA POLL: Police Arraign 183 Osun Suspects In Court by talktimi(m): 9:12am On Nov 21, 2013
biafranqueen: Yes they are progressively becoming a nuisance, I know that APC leaders want the best for us Fashola proved that by offering free transportation for stranded Nigerians and the Alhaji has Anambrians best interest at heart I am sure, he did win best poli thief of the year wink If Ngige really had a case he would stop this nonsense and just go to court, meanwhile the majority of us we are very okay with the results
lo ba tan... Osun defenders go put their oga for wahala sha o

1 Like

Re: ANAMBRA POLL: Police Arraign 183 Osun Suspects In Court by Ngwakwe: 9:21am On Nov 21, 2013
They were APC rigging machines technical drafted, trained and equipped with high resolution hidden cameras from their Technology savvy Governor in order to have them integrated as youth corps members thereby enabling them assess to ballot papers and results sheets across some designated LGAs.

aryzgreat: We all can see hw yoruba ppl lie and cover lies with media. Osun defender reported that ds criminals av been freed after INEC confirmed them as observers and dat they r now on dia way to Awka. The truth is gradually coming out. Even d guy dat opened a thread about how they wia contacted and he rejectd was insulted by these APC e-touts for putting up a fake thread.

This shows how d south west manipulate and use d media for propaganda. Even liar muhamed and hell-rufai wia up in arm against d police for arresting election observers.

Bunch of criminals.

4 Likes

Re: ANAMBRA POLL: Police Arraign 183 Osun Suspects In Court by cjrane: 9:28am On Nov 21, 2013
aryzgreat: We all can see hw yoruba ppl lie and cover lies with media. Osun defender reported that ds criminals av been freed after INEC confirmed them as observers and dat they r now on dia way to Awka. The truth is gradually coming out. Even d guy dat opened a thread about how they wia contacted and he rejectd was insulted by these APC e-touts for putting up a fake thread.

Bunch of criminals.

My brother,
In this country,the south west is a curse onto this Nigerian state. Their stock in trade is lies and deceit. They are disappointed with the Anambra elections because all their elaborate rigging plans was exposed by God. Now they are paying jobless youths to carry placards. Only God will save us from their wicked plans.But i am happy that Anambra people are not deceived at all by their wicked intrigues and blatant lies.

7 Likes

Re: ANAMBRA POLL: Police Arraign 183 Osun Suspects In Court by wirinet(m): 9:34am On Nov 21, 2013
See comedy. This series can be called comedy/Legal drama. How come we were not availed of the charges against the 183 suspected "thugs", I am sure it will make for a good laugh. Let's see the 5 charges.

But let me hazzard some guesses.
1. Illegal possession of weapons. 2 pump action guns was found with the 183 thugs
2. Illegal holding of meeting in a hotel. They did not seek permission before holding a meeting to cause thuggery.
3. Illegal movement without permission or visa. Travelling from Osun to Anambra or is it Imo? without permission.
Now for the electoral offenses,
4. Conspiracy to rig elections yet to take place.
5. Possession of fake voters card.

Oya over to the lawyers.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Obasanjo Is Working With APC - Daughter / Kebbi Governor Slaps His ADC In Public / I Won't Drag Religion Into Politics If Elected- Gen. Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.