Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,354 members, 7,819,257 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:25 PM

Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. (15144 Views)

Engineering Vs Medicine, Which Is More Expensive To Study / Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. by Capableben(m): 12:14am On Nov 22, 2013
Give ur reply in an explicit manner pls with cogent reasons why u tink one is better than the other under the following subheadings;
*Job availability after school

*Degree of flexibility

*Similarities

*Which do you think is tougher
Re: Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. by Nobody: 12:17am On Nov 22, 2013
Subscribing!
Re: Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. by Allohrandy(m): 12:25am On Nov 22, 2013
I will suggest Agricultural Engineering. There are many Mechanical Engineering graduate currently unemployed and I think the Agricultural sector in Nigeria is booming.
Re: Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. by destino24(m): 8:19am On Nov 22, 2013
Agricultural and bioresource engineering (as it is called now) is a correlation of mechanical, civil, electrical, computer and metallurgical engineering. We build machines that help in agriculture, food processing and environmental sustainability (mechanical).

We construct irrigational and drainage systems, including simple structures. (civil) (nb: a COREN registered agricultural and bioresource engineer can supervise the building of a less complex structure (2 storey building and below).

We electrify farmsteads, construct electrical circuits for the machines we design (electrical)

We program and install integrated circuits and micro-controllers for use in agricultural based machines to attain optimum user-friendliness (computer)

We study and research on the best metals and it's alloys to use in the construction and design of simple and complex machines for increased machine efficiency (metallurgical)

With this points, Agricultural and Bioresource Engineering is obviously better than mechanical engineering.

Oh! I'm a student of the said discipline

5 Likes

Re: Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. by lolade123: 8:28am On Nov 22, 2013
Nice thread,sincerely,ME is tougher considering d courses u offer in school thermodynamics till final year,turbomachinery,etc.AE is 50% ME,30%CE and 20% Agric sciences.In terms of degree of flexibility,ME is more flexible,though there are wider branches in AE too.To d similarities,AE was formed by a coalition of mech,civil,and electrical engineers working in agric sector of d US in d early 19th century.
As for d job availability,on a global scale,ME has a very wide sectors to fill into e.g power n energy,automotive,aerospace n aviation,product design n engineering,manufacturing n material science engineering,telecoms etc BUT here in Nigeria,it mainly d Oil n Gas industry and a few manufacturing companies,anything else is teaching(physics,math) n lecturing.This is
because Nigeria is a consumer nation,we dont manufacture n export.
AS for AE,our world revolve round agriculture n food security.And like @Allorandy said,Nigeria's agric sector is booming,population is increasing n more stomach needs to be feed.1thing is if u gud enough u can displace a MEngineer,our job prospect also include civil engineering(structural,water resource management n environmental).Energy engineering is not also left out.
Am a proud 300l student of AE of the Premier University, UI.Thanks

4 Likes

Re: Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. by Capableben(m): 8:30am On Nov 22, 2013
destino24: Agricultural and bioresource engineering (as it is called now) is a correlation of mechanical, civil, electrical, computer and metallurgical engineering. We build machines that help in agriculture, food processing and environmental sustainability (mechanical).

We construct irrigational and drainage systems, including simple structures. (civil) (nb: a COREN registered agricultural and bioresource engineer can supervise the building of a less complex structure (2 storey building and below).

We electrify farmsteads, construct electrical circuits for the machines we design (electrical)

We program and install integrated circuits and micro-controllers for use in agricultural based machines to attain optimum user-friendliness (computer)

We study and research on the best metals and it's alloys to use in the construction and design of simple and complex machines for increased machine efficiency (metallurgical)

With this points, Agricultural and Bioresource Engineering is obviously better than mechanical engineering.

SUPERB contribution smiley
destino24: Agricultural and bioresource engineering (as it is called now) is a correlation of mechanical, civil, electrical, computer and metallurgical engineering. We build machines that help in agriculture, food processing and environmental sustainability (mechanical).

SUPERB contribution
Re: Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. by lolade123: 8:32am On Nov 22, 2013
@Destuno24,nice to meet here.Agric engineering till heaven comes.
Re: Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. by destino24(m): 8:40am On Nov 22, 2013
Capableben:

SUPERB contribution smiley

SUPERB contribution

Thanks
Re: Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. by destino24(m): 9:08am On Nov 22, 2013
lolade123: @Destuno24,nice to meet here.Agric engineering till heaven comes.

Ditto smiley
Re: Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. by Nobody: 3:05pm On Nov 22, 2013
Nice thread!
I am currently studyn agric and biosystems engineering and I want †̥ know if I can futher (I.e m.sc) in water resource engineerin.
Re: Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. by Greatken007(m): 6:51am On Nov 23, 2013
I LOVE AGRIC ENG'G BUT MECH ENG'G IS FAR FAR BETTER OF...THE THERMO,MACHINE WORK,DRAWINGS,DESIGNS,FLUID MECHNICS,AUTO MECHANICS ETC AGRIC ENG'G DO IS MORE EASIER THAT THOSE OF MECH ENG'G,QUOTE ME ANYWHERE,IT IS STILL VERY WRONG TO COMPARE BOTH DISCIPLINE BECAUSE THEY HAVE DIFFERENT SCOPE OF SPECIALIZATION...MECH ENG'G GRADUATE HAVE HIGHER CHANCES OF GETTING JOB IN NIGERIA...TO BE TRUTHFUL TO OURSELVES WHEN LAST HAVE YOU SPOTED JOB VACANCY AND THEY WERE REQUESTING FOR A AGRIC ENGR,BUT MECH ENGR ENGRS ARE SORTED AFTER DAY AFTER DAY...EVEN IN THE BANK INDUSTRY

1 Like

Re: Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. by Kendzyma(m): 7:42am On Nov 23, 2013
Wtf! Hw can u eva compar mechanical engi with angric engi,dats a way 2 low comparism 4 mechnical engi,wen we av ele elect,chemical, and odas dat u can cmpar it with.aniway,agric eng iz only cncentratd on agricultur and u can only get a job within agricultural sector wich makes it realy though 2 get a job just lik petroleum engineerin,bt mechanical az diff Job opportunities and nt statnd to ani particular sector.shalom..stil wondrn y u cmparng both

3 Likes

Re: Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. by destino24(m): 8:36am On Nov 23, 2013
Kendzyma: Wtf! Hw can u eva compar mechanical engi with angric engi,dats a way 2 low comparism 4 mechnical engi,wen we av ele elect,chemical, and odas dat u can cmpar it with.aniway,agric eng iz only cncentratd on agricultur and u can only get a job within agricultural sector wich makes it realy though 2 get a job just lik petroleum engineerin,bt mechanical az diff Job opportunities and nt statnd to ani particular sector.shalom..stil wondrn y u cmparng both

With what you just said, it's very safe to assume you have no idea what agricultural engineering is all about

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. by destino24(m): 8:50am On Nov 23, 2013
Greatken007: I LOVE AGRIC ENG'G BUT MECH ENG'G IS FAR FAR BETTER OF...THE THERMO,MACHINE WORK,DRAWINGS,DESIGNS,FLUID MECHNICS,AUTO MECHANICS ETC AGRIC ENG'G DO IS MORE EASIER THAT THOSE OF MECH ENG'G,QUOTE ME ANYWHERE,IT IS STILL VERY WRONG TO COMPARE BOTH DISCIPLINE BECAUSE THEY HAVE DIFFERENT SCOPE OF SPECIALIZATION...MECH ENG'G GRADUATE HAVE HIGHER CHANCES OF GETTING JOB IN NIGERIA...TO BE TRUTHFUL TO OURSELVES WHEN LAST HAVE YOU SPOTED JOB VACANCY AND THEY WERE REQUESTING FOR A AGRIC ENGR,BUT MECH ENGR ENGRS ARE SORTED AFTER DAY AFTER DAY...EVEN IN THE BANK INDUSTRY

Your still looking for job vacancies, we are talking about being self-employed here.

Thermo-dynamics, fluid dynamics, machine design and drawing etc. We do all those.

I'll explain why agricultural engineering seems easy. Mechanical engineers create machines in it's general sense, agricultural engineers create machines for food processing, soil and water engineering and environmental sustainability.

We don't create machines based on bogus and unrealistic formulas. We create machines based on object orientation.

2 Likes

Re: Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. by Nobody: 9:19am On Nov 23, 2013
*following*

mechanical students we need u in here to shut d mouths of dese age students.
Come 2 tink f it wch of u actualy pikd agric.eng as first choice in ur first jamb?
Re: Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. by destino24(m): 9:35am On Nov 23, 2013
MIKE4CHRIST: *following*

mechanical students we need u in here to shut d mouths of dese age students.
Come 2 tink f it wch of u actualy pikdqec.eng as first choice in ur first jamb?

Yeah right, mechanical students are so good at screaming "mech is better than than abe", but they can't make a single valid argument to back that claim. it's an illusion.

If you're a university student, by 200 level, you would offer a course with the title " Engineer in the society".

There, you would be told that ABE is the mother of all engineering disciplines.

1 Like

Re: Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. by Kendzyma(m): 11:24am On Nov 23, 2013
destino24:

Your still looking for job vacancies, we are talking about being self-employed here.

Thermo-dynamics, fluid dynamics, machine design and drawing etc. We do all those.

I'll explain why agricultural engineering seems easy. Mechanical engineers create machines in it's general sense, agricultural engineers create machines for food processing, soil and water engineering and environmental sustainability.

We don't create machines based on bogus and unrealistic formulas. We create machines based on object orientation.
cnt argue much wit u sinc its realy obvious u r studyn agric eng,xo u wil surly support d cours u 4cfuly studyn,weras..u chos anoda beta engi cours in jamb.xo u just tryn to encourag urself in studyn it.shalom! *unfollows thread*
Re: Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. by destino24(m): 11:39am On Nov 23, 2013
Kendzyma: cnt argue much wit u sinc its realy obvious u r studyn agric eng,xo u wil surly support d cours u 4cfuly studyn,weras..u chos anoda beta engi cours in jamb.xo u just tryn to encourag urself in studyn it.shalom! *unfollows thread*

This argument has nothing to do with me or what i chose to study in the university. The question is quite simple, "ABE vs MECH, which is better?"
Re: Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. by lolade123: 4:29pm On Nov 26, 2013
Kendzyma: cnt argue much wit u sinc its realy obvious u r studyn agric eng,xo u wil surly support d cours u 4cfuly studyn,weras..u chos anoda beta engi cours in jamb.xo u just tryn to encourag urself in studyn it.shalom! *unfollows thread*
Hey bro, u getting it all wrong. I was never forced to study AE, I got into the university through DE and I chose AE as my first n second choice of course.I love the course n career path. Am still an undergraduate, but already helping final year students in ME with projects.
It a personal thing, it how much yu can develop yourself.
Re: Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. by undercurrent(m): 6:06pm On Nov 26, 2013
Abeg i did Agric Eng 5yrs ago, could only get a job in a bank. I had to leave when sanusi went mad. Mech Eng anytime 4 me if i should choose again. U go for interviews in eng'g companies and they look at u as if u landed from the moon. When u tell sumone u read engineering, they say wow! Then ask u what field, u reply agric engineering and they are like what! Those of u still in school will feel excited about the prospects, Its only natural. I felt the same way cos of how my lecturers hyped the course. Dont worry wen u graduate u'll understand. It only sells in advanced countries lyk U.S and Europe that are into Mechanised farming. Naija neva start. I want to start afresh with Information systems engineering at Eastern med uni next yr. Peace.

2 Likes

Re: Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. by Moblord(m): 5:14pm On Nov 15, 2014
Agric Engineering
Re: Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. by Unekz(m): 7:04pm On Nov 15, 2014
mechanical engineering all the way

1 Like

Re: Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. by destino24(m): 8:43pm On Nov 15, 2014
Moblord:
Agric Engineering

confirm!

2 Likes

Re: Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. by jaryeh(m): 9:59pm On Nov 15, 2014
I think Agric. and Mech. are somewhat closely related in that they both deal with machines. But Mechanical is more versatile and more revered both locally and internationally.

And lastly, Agricultural, Mechanical (formally known as Military), and Civil engineering were the first engineering disciplines. They started when men of those days realized that they needed specialized tools to meet their immediate needs - food, shelter and protection in times of war. So, Mech. isn't a branch of any engineering discipline just as Agric Engineering.
Re: Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. by Trinxzy(m): 12:03am On Nov 16, 2014
agricultural engineering been compared with mechanical Engineering is an insult to the engineering field..in terms of salary earning, innovation, Creativity, technology, etc all round ..mechanical Engineering has the upper hand by far..if u check the top5 engineering jobs..agric.eng is not there...its areospace engineering, Petroleum engineering, chemical Engineering, electrical and Electronics Engineering and mechanical Engineering. even after this mettalurgical engineering, industrial Engineering are way better than the so called agricultural engineering u guys are blabbing abt.

2 Likes

Re: Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. by Moblord(m): 10:49am On Nov 20, 2014
destino24:

confirm!
are you a student or a graduate?
Re: Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. by destino24(m): 4:55pm On Nov 20, 2014
Moblord:
are you a student or a graduate?

Final year student
Re: Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. by Moblord(m): 8:46pm On Nov 20, 2014
destino24:

Final year student
wow are u on whatsapp? gv me ur number to add u.. so that u will tell me more
Re: Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. by Wizkoko(m): 10:01pm On Dec 03, 2015
destino24:

Final year student

I believe you are now a graduate, so how was your experience?
Re: Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. by Moblord(m): 1:18pm On Dec 04, 2015
Wizkoko:

I believe you are now a graduate, so how was your experience?
are u an A.E too?
Re: Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. by Wizkoko(m): 4:06pm On Dec 04, 2015
Moblord:
are u an A.E too?

Not exactly. I wanted Civil engineering but I was given Agricultural engineering, so I just wanted to know more about it. If it's good, I'll stick with it. I don't really know anything about the course. Maybe you could enlighten me on that. Many people told me that it's very hard (not that I care if it's hard) and it is not marketable. If you can, please tell me about the job opportunity.
Re: Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. by Moblord(m): 6:54pm On Dec 04, 2015
Wizkoko:

Not exactly. I wanted Civil engineering but I was given Agricultural engineering, so I just wanted to know more about it. If it's good, I'll stick with it. I don't really know anything about the course. Maybe you could enlighten me on that. Many people told me that it's very hard (not that I care if it's hard) and it is not marketable. If you can, please tell me about the job opportunity.
i have not gone deep, i'm in 100lvl but the course is good, if you have the opportunity to change to civil engineering you should; not because its more marketable but because u have passion for it. If you can't then stick to agric engineering, you can work in Federal ministry of agric, research institutes like IITA, ministry of water resources and so on. Which school is it?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Anambra University Lecturer Gives Free Textbooks To Students / 10 Crazy Things We Do During Examination Period / ASUU Denies Any Form Of Negotiation And N15.89bn Payment Rumour,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.