Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,155 members, 7,815,026 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:25 AM

Re: Adeboye Shops For $20m Jet (Locked) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Re: Adeboye Shops For $20m Jet (Locked) (4464 Views)

Poll: Should Adeboye Buy a Private wort 20millions DOllars?

YES: 25% (2 votes)
NO: 75% (6 votes)
This poll has ended

Adeboye Talks About His Impending Death / Pastor Adeboye Buys Gulfstream Jet, Starts Luxury Airline (Photo) / Adeboye Shops For $20m Jet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adeboye Shops For $20m Jet (Locked) by software(m): 2:12pm On Jul 20, 2008
HI,

Please i would like to know why the TOPIC "Adeboye Shops For $20m Jet" was blocked,  Its very important we know the reason, 

If for a good reason, it was blocked from people to reply, then i think it is as good as removing it completely from Nairaland. Of what use is a topic u see and you can't respond 2?

Also, i watched the poll very closely yesterday even until the very moment it we were denied of replying to posts,  How did it get to tie overnight? why is it 50 -  50? as at the time we were blocked from replying, it was not 50 - 50. I only hope some politics are not bin played on Nairaland.

We need some explanation or "I NEED SOME EXPLANATION PLS"

Thanks
Re: Re: Adeboye Shops For $20m Jet (Locked) by Nobody: 2:19pm On Jul 20, 2008
When people become ultra-defensive about "insulting" their "men of God" then you know what they purport to practice isnt christianity but hero-worshipping. Sadly this is what you will observe in the vast majority of those who claim to be christians today.
Re: Re: Adeboye Shops For $20m Jet (Locked) by software(m): 2:38pm On Jul 20, 2008
I believe Mr Seun, should know what we call a blog or an online forum better, Its simply of no use having a TOPIC which we cant reply, We need to be fair about these things and we shouldnt put sentiments in managing our business, Irrespective of the topic or who is involved, i really demand a reason from Mr Seun, or whosoever blocked people from sending in their replies to the TOPIC.
Re: Re: Adeboye Shops For $20m Jet (Locked) by tpia: 4:22pm On Jul 20, 2008
some fellow called jayon was crying and cursing over the thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-152561.0.html

He felt bad that his role models were being questioned rather than worshipped.

A quick check of the guy's general posts here on nairaland, revealed a hypocrite and liar of the highest order.

As is usual with such idolaters, he's more concerned about the reputation of his favorite Men of God, than he is about his own. Na today?
Re: Re: Adeboye Shops For $20m Jet (Locked) by Gamine(f): 4:29pm On Jul 20, 2008
I wonder why ooh.

Because of ordinary Jet undecided undecided undecided
Re: Re: Adeboye Shops For $20m Jet (Locked) by madamkoko: 9:26pm On Jul 20, 2008
They also closed the one about Oyedepo. grin grin grin
Re: Re: Adeboye Shops For $20m Jet (Locked) by madamkoko: 9:27pm On Jul 20, 2008
Freedom of speech is not allowed on Nairaland.

Its ok to bash politicans and co but not ok to talk about so called preachers. Such nonsense. grin shocked shocked shocked
Re: Re: Adeboye Shops For $20m Jet (Locked) by software(m): 10:13pm On Jul 20, 2008
tpia:

some fellow called jayon was crying and cursing over the thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-152561.0.html

He felt bad that his role models were being questioned rather than worshipped.

if its as a result of what Jayon told Mr Seun and Muki that they decided to close down that thread, then i will simply say am highly dissapointed in them and in the management of NL. Lets do whats right 4 Gods sake, We are in a democratic dispensation where there is freedom of speech, lets express ourselves, there is always something to gain from each other here, Closing that TOPIC, is simply acting against the reason why i think NL was established, Thats a nice topic to talk about 4 Gods sake,

Dear Admins, pls dont be mislead by some peoples sentiments, lets face reality. PLS THAT TOPIC SHOULD BE OPENED FOR OUR COMMENTS, PLS

DAMM cant believe this angry angry angry
Re: Re: Adeboye Shops For $20m Jet (Locked) by LadyJ1: 10:53pm On Jul 20, 2008
software:

if its as a result of what Jayon told Mr Seun and Muki that they decided to close down that thread, then i will simply say am highly dissapointed in them and in the management of Nairaland. Lets do whats right 4 Gods sake,  We are in a democratic dispensation where there is freedom of speech,  lets express ourselves, there is always something to gain from each other here,  Closing that TOPIC, is simply acting against the reason why i think Nairaland was established,  Thats a nice topic to talk about 4 Gods sake,

Dear Admins,  please don't be mislead by some peoples sentiments, lets face reality. PLS THAT TOPIC SHOULD BE OPENED FOR OUR COMMENTS,  PLS

DAMM can't believe this angry angry angry

grin grin grin grin u better believe it grin grin
Re: Re: Adeboye Shops For $20m Jet (Locked) by tpia: 12:45am On Jul 21, 2008
madamkoko:

Freedom of speech is not allowed on Nairaland.

Its ok to bash politicans and co but not ok to talk about so called preachers. Such nonsense. grin shocked shocked shocked

I wonder oh.

small time now them go begin see imaginary halo for people head. undecided

I cant believe even after Jim Jones and rev King, Jesus of oyingbo and their likes, people are still worshipping other human beings in the name of religion. undecided
Re: Re: Adeboye Shops For $20m Jet (Locked) by Gamine(f): 12:49am On Jul 21, 2008
You and the "Worshippers" are the same.

Arent you too quick to judge?

Where did u see people worshipping undecided undecided
Re: Re: Adeboye Shops For $20m Jet (Locked) by Queenisha: 12:51am On Jul 21, 2008
yes o
do folks even know the definition of worship?
let alone have any iota oif proof that this man of God is being adored ?
Re: Re: Adeboye Shops For $20m Jet (Locked) by tpia: 12:54am On Jul 21, 2008
Gamine:

You and the "Worshippers" are the same.

Arent you too quick to judge?

Where did u see people worshipping undecided undecided

look up the definition of worship. It means reverent love,devotion,to regard with ardent love or esteem. undecided

Giving your pastor the dedication you should give to God, is worship. undecided

maybe you feel worship is limited to praise and worship singing and dancing on sunday morning.

If you guys know the history of your religion, you'll know why there are so many denominations today. Martin Luther started from somewhere. undecided
Re: Re: Adeboye Shops For $20m Jet (Locked) by Queenisha: 12:57am On Jul 21, 2008
tpia:

Giving your pastor the dedication you should give to God, is worship. undecided

agreed but what proof do you have that this is what goes on in RCCG.
Jesus of Oyingbo and the others you mention called themselves Messiahs and saviours and demanded worship.
What proof do you have that this is what obtains here?
Does loving and respecting one's pastor translate to worship?

Any thing your pastor tells you that runs contrary to the Bible is wrong.
That is the standard.
Re: Re: Adeboye Shops For $20m Jet (Locked) by Gamine(f): 12:57am On Jul 21, 2008
*waiting for answer*
Re: Re: Adeboye Shops For $20m Jet (Locked) by tpia: 1:00am On Jul 21, 2008
Is either one of you a present or past member of RCCG?

if you're not, then why are you so bothered by what people say about the church?

am also waiting for your response. undecided
Re: Re: Adeboye Shops For $20m Jet (Locked) by Queenisha: 1:03am On Jul 21, 2008
I have never been a member of RCCG.
Have only worshipped as a guest about twice in one of their chapters here in the US.
I love my pastor,I see him as my spiritual head in the Church and I listen to his counsel and advise that doesn't mean I worship him.
I believe that God has given him authority over me in the Church and I respect him and his wife.
Re: Re: Adeboye Shops For $20m Jet (Locked) by Gamine(f): 1:04am On Jul 21, 2008
I am not a member though i attend the church with my sister.

I am just wondering how you guys Judging want to be seen as "right"
Re: Re: Adeboye Shops For $20m Jet (Locked) by tpia: 1:05am On Jul 21, 2008
Queenisha:

I have never been a member of RCCG.
Have only worshipped as a guest about twice in one of their chapters here in the US.
I love my pastor,I see him as my spiritual head in the Church that doesn't mean I worship him.

I did not say you did.

The thread is about the argument going on about whether it is morally and ethically right for a pastor to purchase a $20 million jet given the state of Nigeria and Nigerians.

@ Gamine: what do you call what you're doing now? Are you not judging people who are against spending $20 million of church money on a jet? If i recall, your defence was, Cant Christians have nice things. undecided

What if people do not want their tithes and offerings spent that way? You're not a member, neither have you indicated you'll donate money towards the jet. Yet you're "judging" on behalf of those who may or may not be. undecided
Re: Re: Adeboye Shops For $20m Jet (Locked) by Queenisha: 1:07am On Jul 21, 2008
tpia:

I did not say you did.

The thread is about the argument gonig on about whether it is morally and ethically right for a pastor to purchase a $20 million jet given the state of Nigeria and Nigerians.

What does the state of Nigeria have to do with what a pastor does and does not do in his Church?
Is Nigeria governed by the church?
Re: Re: Adeboye Shops For $20m Jet (Locked) by Queenisha: 1:08am On Jul 21, 2008
Or is it Adeboye that made people jobless and hungry?
Remember the woman that poured the box of alabaster oil on Jesu's feet.
What did people say?
They chastized the woman for wasting such precious oil but what did Jesus say?
The poor you'll have with you always,what did woman did was necessary and expedient at this time.

If it's necessary that the church acquires a jet for the work of God,so be it.
You are not under any obligation to contribute to them

When Paul Crouch was starting TBN, I'm sure there were those who felt that money should have been spent serving soups for the poor.Today that singular venture is in territories where you and I could never reach.
Even in areas where preaching the gospel could mean beheadings.TBN is there.

Let's not be quick to judge.
There is a time and place for everything.
Re: Re: Adeboye Shops For $20m Jet (Locked) by tpia: 1:11am On Jul 21, 2008
@ Queenisha: am out. i dont see an end to the back and forth.

If you want to criticize the leaders but absolve the religious figures, for what currently goes on in Nigeria, then kudos. undecided

In Rwanda too many religious leaders actively participated in the genocide. In the north, many imams preach sectarianism.

So in Nigerian Christianity, the leaders are by and large holier than thou, and above the law like the Queen of England.

Ok!
Re: Re: Adeboye Shops For $20m Jet (Locked) by Gamine(f): 1:14am On Jul 21, 2008
Sir, im not Judging anyone.

like i said before i was "wondering"

Im not against your opinion

But im against you telling lies for nothing.

Cant Christians have nice things?
Yes i said that because, if Glo buys a jet, people wont say nothing.
isnt it the money of the masses that they wld use to buy it.

Even if i think 20m is an awful lot of money, buying this jet may be of utmost need.
Re: Re: Adeboye Shops For $20m Jet (Locked) by Queenisha: 1:16am On Jul 21, 2008
So practising sectarianism, genocide, and the like are akin to a Church using it's funds to buy a jet for transportation and spreading the gospel ? shocked shocked
Re: Re: Adeboye Shops For $20m Jet (Locked) by Queenisha: 1:21am On Jul 21, 2008
Gamine:

Sir, im not Judging anyone.

like i said before i was "wondering"

I'm not against your opinion

But im against you telling lies for nothing.

Cant Christians have nice things?
Yes i said that because, if Glo buys a jet, people wont say nothing.
isnt it the money of the masses that they would use to buy it.

Even if i think 20m is an awful lot of money, buying this jet may be of utmost need.

there are those that think not.
There are people who think Christians should be allergic to fancy cars and luxurious living since there are poor people around needing help.
Nonsense.
Have they even opened the Bible talk less of reading and meditating on the word?
Re: Re: Adeboye Shops For $20m Jet (Locked) by Gamine(f): 1:24am On Jul 21, 2008
The funny thing is that most of the people talking

if offered a ride in that jet will jump at it!
Re: Re: Adeboye Shops For $20m Jet (Locked) by tpia: 1:27am On Jul 21, 2008
In fact, this is the news i read today on my cell phone:

Calling on Gospel to Call Off Debt
As Financial Crisis Grows, Many Turn to Church for Help

Following the advice of their pastor, the men and women shuffled to the altar, cut up their credit cards and placed them near his feet.

"If we want to have victory, we have to come out of financial bondage," the Rev. John K. Jenkins of First Baptist Church of Glenarden shouted during a recent sermon.

Ordinarily Jenkins's sermons are about spiritual freedom and ridding one's self of sin. But his message has taken a different turn lately -- one that preaches the dangers of overspending and debt.

The sermons are not unusual. With the country on the cusp of a recession and many people burdened by the mortgage foreclosure crisis, skyrocketing gas prices and rising grocery bills, religious leaders across the Washington region are increasingly ministering to their members about financial responsibility, encouraging them to control their spending.

"We tell our members, don't buy dresses and shoes, take trips, all on credit," Jenkins said in an interview. "It's killing us."

Churches are going a step further by providing financial counseling and pointing people to local and state programs that help with finances.

McLean Bible Church in Northern Virginia offers classes on how to handle money according to Biblical principles. And last month, St. Martin's Catholic Church in Gaithersburg hosted a foreclosure prevention workshop to help those in danger of losing their homes.

The churches' efforts are timely. Consumer debt, which does not include mortgages, reached $2.56 trillion in April, up from $2.28 trillion at the end of 2005, according to the Federal Reserve. And a recent report by the Center for Regional Analysis at George Mason University found that the region has one of the fastest growing foreclosure rates in the country.

In Prince George's County, one in 163 households received some type of foreclosure filing in May, according to RealtyTrac, which tracks foreclosure trends. In Prince William County, the numbers were even more staggering with one in every 92 receiving a default or foreclosure notice.

"What we are trying to get over to people is that we have to teach about stewardship the same way we teach about forgiveness," said the Rev. Kerry A. Hill, president of the Collective Banking Group, a consortium of pastors in Prince George's and the District who help area churches finance projects. "A lot of pastors agree that we have talked about tithing, and we need to talk about the other 90 percent."

Zulay Andrade, 41, of Gaithersburg, was three months behind on her rent and afraid her car would be repossessed when she turned to St. Martin's in Gaithersburg. Unemployed for five months, she had recently returned to a job at Target but was struggling to regain her financial footing on a $350-a-week salary.

After going over her finances, leaders at St. Martin's advised Andrade to negotiate with creditors for a reduction in bills, such as her car payment. This month, the church also gave her $200 toward her rent and put her in touch with a program that kicked in an additional $200 for back rent she owed.

"I don't know what I would have done if it hadn't been for the church," said Andrade, the mother of one teenager. "I had gone to social services, but they said they wouldn't help because I was working."

Alan Wolfe, director of the Boisi Center for Religion and American Public Life at Boston College, said the problem for some church members is that "Christianity has always had a complicated relationship with money."

On the one hand, Wolfe said, believers are told that the love of money is the root of all evil. Then there are those who preach a prosperity gospel, which promotes that God wants believers to have an abundant life with extraordinary financial blessings.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/19/AR2008071901733_pf.html

These are churches in AMERICA, one of the richest countries in the world.

@ gamine, point out what you are calling lies, in anything I have said here, so i can explain it to you better. undecided You still did not indicate if you're donating money for the jet. cool

See, this is why that thread shouldnt have been closed.

There's still so much more to be said. undecided
Re: Re: Adeboye Shops For $20m Jet (Locked) by Queenisha: 1:34am On Jul 21, 2008
tpia:

In fact, this is the news i read today on my cell phone:

These are churches in AMERICA, one of the richest countries in the world.

@ gamine, point out what you are calling lies, in anything I have said here, so i can explain it to you better. undecided

See, this is why that thread shouldnt have been closed.

There's still so much more to be said. undecided

And what makes you think these Churches you're criticising are not empowering their members on financial freedom ?
Many churches even in Nigeria have schools,day care,restaurants.
Crown financial is a Christian owned andbased financial group that holds seminars in Churches.

The Bible is a complete book on life and living.
It's not enoughto criticise one thing based on a story and neglect other good work done by the church.
The drug addicts set free,the wayward husband delivered,families put together again,help to the poor and needy.

This jet will have air hostesses,pilots,mechanics,control people,engineers e.t.c.
It will give people jobs.
Re: Re: Adeboye Shops For $20m Jet (Locked) by Gamine(f): 1:37am On Jul 21, 2008
Lies that people are Worshipping Adeboye and Co. e.t.c
Lies that they are forcing people to pay for the jet

why should i "donate" money?
Re: Re: Adeboye Shops For $20m Jet (Locked) by tpia: 1:44am On Jul 21, 2008
Gamine:

Lies that people are Worshipping Adeboye and Co. e.t.c
Lies that they are forcing people to pay for the jet

why should i "donate" money?

I need direct quotes  and links plz. I've defined worship for you- if you don't accept that definition, then I can't help you. Your not being aware you're worshipping your fellow human being, doesnt invalidate the worship.

am done with the topic for now.   He who has ears to ear, let him hear.

But point out where I said these things you're claiming, so I can understand what you're saying.

Where did i say people are being forced to pay for the jet? In any case, you have a choice not to donate. undecided undecided
Care to explain why you want others to do so but refuse to support the project yourself?
Re: Re: Adeboye Shops For $20m Jet (Locked) by Gamine(f): 2:04am On Jul 21, 2008
Sir, i cnt go about digging for quotes.
The things you guys have implied are clear enough

Everybody has a choice to/ not put in an offering for it.
it isnt Forced!

My own Argument was the Jet.
and why it is seen as evil to get.
Re: Re: Adeboye Shops For $20m Jet (Locked) by tpia: 2:05am On Jul 21, 2008
I see.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

There Is Nothing Supernatural/spiritual In This World / Why Do We Mourn When Someone Dies? Can't We Dance? / Any Previous Atheist Here Who Is Now A Christian?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.