Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,624 members, 7,820,211 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:28 AM

Diary Of A Samsung Note II User - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Diary Of A Samsung Note II User (11668 Views)

Why You Should Buy A Samsung Device Instead Of Tecno / Samsung Galaxy III Vs Galaxy Note II / Samsung-Galaxy Note II: U.S. Launch Date Confirmed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Diary Of A Samsung Note II User by Rexphobia(m): 11:23am On Nov 22, 2013
I was one of the few that patiently waited for Nexus 4 to be released and when it was eventually launched the phone sold out in less than 2 hours. I was infuriated. I waited for months just to lay my hands on the phone. Three excruciating months I had to banish the thoughts of owning just any phone.
Just when I felt it was high time I stopped crying over spilt milk, then it happened. Samsung Note II was released. I browsed the web for hours in search of where I could get the phone in Nigeria, with adrenaline pushing through my veins. I quickly ordered the phone from the first site I stumbled on.
Fast forward to 11 months after, I hate this phone. I wish I bought maybe a Tecno or some other random phone. In fact, I regret buying this phone.
How did this story change so quickly?
Like two months after purchase, I noticed my 32G micro SD card started encountering issues. Error message was “memory card was removed”, mounting and unmounting intermittently. Till the memory card stopped working. I checked online and discovered I was not alone. My precious memory card has been fried by my NOTE II and memorable contents all lost. It felt like I was bereaved.
After some weeks of mourning and I decided not to get a replacement. I felt that was the worst; I was so wrong.
My phone now has what is referred to as Sudden Death Syndrome (SDS). This simply means the motherboard of the phone has a damaged chip. Signs are,
• Insane chip when you check with eMMC app available on Google play store
• Freezing
• Rebooting
• Emotional torture- Yes, the torture inflicted by the phone is unbearable.
How can it be resolved? Replacing the motherboard. You can also hazard the cost implication of that.

Synopsis: As soon as BBM became available on other platforms. I installed it on my Note, synched my contacts, threw my Blackberry away and started dissing Blackberry users. “Y’all are using a dead phone”, I said. Well, after the demise of my Note II, I had to swallow my pride and return to my first love, My Blackberry. Yes, it is not a smart phone, but it WORKS.

***End***

7 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Samsung Note II User by ruffcoins(m): 11:36am On Nov 22, 2013
Thrash undecided

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Samsung Note II User by Rexphobia(m): 12:18pm On Nov 22, 2013
bite me tongue

5 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Samsung Note II User by Jeffy1206(m): 12:41pm On Nov 22, 2013
Is this suppose to be beef on android or Samsung in favour of crapberry? What ever made u left bb for android has not been replaced or change, so returning to ur first love at this time will hurt you more than before... De sds already has been fixed unlike ur bb that can't do anything about CCEWYG(carry charger every where you go grin) see which is more?

3 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Samsung Note II User by Nobody: 12:57pm On Nov 22, 2013
FFS wat's d meaning of dis crap undecided

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Samsung Note II User by UchihaItachi(m): 2:30pm On Nov 22, 2013
Re: Diary Of A Samsung Note II User by UchihaItachi(m): 2:30pm On Nov 22, 2013
Jeffy1206: Is this suppose to be beef on android or Samsung in favour of crapberry?

Rexphobia: Well, after the demise of my Note II, I had to swallow my pride and return to my first love, My Blackberry. Yes, it is not a smart phone, but it WORKS.

***End***
Re: Diary Of A Samsung Note II User by Rexphobia(m): 5:39pm On Nov 22, 2013
Jeffy1206: Is this suppose to be beef on android or Samsung in favour of crapberry? What ever made u left bb for android has not been replaced or change, so returning to ur first love at this time will hurt you more than before... De sds already has been fixed unlike ur bb that can't do anything about CCEWYG(carry charger every where you go grin) see which is more?

I can't beef android now, in fact blackberry and android should not be mentioned in the same sentence.

Blackberry is a little more stable than "a rooted android", do you agree?

Please teach us how SDS can be fixed, because last time i checked "dummy file generator" can't do jack. Downloaded that and it ain't working.

fabulousfortune: FFS wat's d meaning of dis crap undecided

Maybe you should google "SDS+xda-developers"
Re: Diary Of A Samsung Note II User by Nobody: 7:17pm On Nov 22, 2013
^^^^^

U were one of those unlucky few. So wat did u do with d note2 then?
Re: Diary Of A Samsung Note II User by Yinkade(m): 8:59pm On Nov 22, 2013
If you don't use a note 2 don't come and be bashing the op....cos I do use one and I understand his frustrations....you can't imagine buying a phone of 98K and it wld be giving u problems like that.....I experienced the memory card ish.....my 32gb mmc got corrupted......as if that was not enough....6months into using my phone.....the phone just suddenly died....googled the ish and that was when I learnt abt the sds.....took it to samsung care.....they said the supposed new phone that affordables sold to me does not have a nigerian warranty......but a uk one.......they said to fix the fone was abt 35....but I was able to speak to one of the engineers that did it way cheaper.....that being said...I have the sane chip now sha......and the phone is back to normal....but comparing it to a bb is just not it....haba bros.......I understand where u coming from sha
Re: Diary Of A Samsung Note II User by mrdrizzy(m): 9:09pm On Nov 22, 2013
Mtscheew! And i was actually thinking theres gonna be like full review,notices,flops and so many things dat are missing/nt knwn to the public..totally bias..who exactly are u against sef,sammy,tecno or bb??.abeg mod e be like we go dey restrict ppl frm opening thread anyhw
Re: Diary Of A Samsung Note II User by donlyone(m): 10:08pm On Nov 22, 2013
My advice to the OP is that next time you're buying a phone whether Nokia, Tecno or Vertu, try to check online forums for users review or opinions.

The sds is prevented by simply updating to the latest firmware. Also, it would have been fixed for free at a Samsung customer center if you were on warranty.

RIP to your Note2, thats a great phone.

Its the best phone you never got to enjoy.

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Samsung Note II User by Rexphobia(m): 11:39pm On Nov 22, 2013
fabulousfortune: ^^^^^

U were one of those unlucky few. So wat did u do with d note2 then?

I still don't know o, the ish happened on 19th of Nov, 2013.

I will keep you posted though.

donlyone: My advice to the OP is that next time you're buying a phone whether Nokia, Tecno or Vertu, try to check online forums for users review or opinions.

The sds is prevented by simply updating to the latest firmware. Also, it would have been fixed for free at a Samsung customer center if you were on warranty.

RIP to your Note2, thats a great phone.

Its the best phone you never got to enjoy.

I bought the phone less than two months after it was released. You should know the kind of reviews you will get at such time. Some issues are triggered based on wear and tear.

As per the update, you may want to know that I am currently on the latest version available in Nigeria (4.1.2) for Note II. The most current update is 4.2 and it's not available for Nigeria yet, last time I checked.
Re: Diary Of A Samsung Note II User by Rexphobia(m): 11:42pm On Nov 22, 2013
Yinkade: If you don't use a note 2 don't come and be bashing the op....cos I do use one and I understand his frustrations....you can't imagine buying a phone of 98K and it wld be giving u problems like that.....I experienced the memory card ish.....my 32gb mmc got corrupted......as if that was not enough....6months into using my phone.....the phone just suddenly died....googled the ish and that was when I learnt abt the sds.....took it to samsung care.....they said the supposed new phone that affordables sold to me does not have a nigerian warranty......but a uk one.......they said to fix the fone was abt 35....but I was able to speak to one of the engineers that did it way cheaper.....that being said...I have the sane chip now sha......and the phone is back to normal....but comparing it to a bb is just not it....haba bros.......I understand where u coming from sha

Bros, you know exactly where the shoe is pinching me. Can you connect me with the guy that helped fixing the glitch?

I will really appreciate that.
Re: Diary Of A Samsung Note II User by Rexphobia(m): 11:45pm On Nov 22, 2013
mr.drizzy:
Mtscheew! And i was actually thinking theres gonna be like full review,notices,flops and so many things dat are missing/nt knwn to the public..totally bias..who exactly are u against sef,sammy,tecno or bb??.abeg mod e be like we go dey restrict ppl frm opening thread anyhw

I'm sorry I disappointed you.

If you want to read reviews kindly visit xda-developers forum.

Regards.

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Samsung Note II User by Nobody: 6:24am On Nov 23, 2013
Alright!
Rexphobia:

I bought the phone less than two months after it was released. You should know the kind of reviews you will get at such time. Some issues are triggered based on wear and tear.

As per the update, you may want to know that I am currently on the latest version available in Nigeria (4.1.2) for Note II. The most current update is 4.2 and it's not available for Nigeria yet, last time I checked.

Re: Diary Of A Samsung Note II User by donlyone(m): 6:35am On Nov 23, 2013
So why didn't you take it for free repairs since the phone has a two year warranty.

Let me tell you what you should have known about the Sudden Death Syndrome. There was nothing wrong with the Note2 until a certain XDA member, Alephzain, discovered and published his finding of a HOLE (security issue) in the programming of the EXYNOS chip used in some samsung phones like the Note1, S2, S3, Note2 which said could EXPLOITED by hackers. He also released an app that would patch the hole pending when Samsung will fix the issue in an UPDATE.
Since then it has been 'open season' for hackers on those phones.

This was published as early as December 17, 2012 when no one had any issue with the note2. Accept it was ignorance on your part and don't mislead people. At least you could have fixed it for free.

http://www.gsmarena.com/security_issue_discovered_on_exynosbased_devices-news-5215.php

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Samsung Note II User by donlyone(m): 6:48am On Nov 23, 2013
Rexphobia:

So you had the problem in Nov 2013 when the phone was released in Sept 2012. You had like a year to read about the phone.

You too fall my hand. I'll ask you to desist from badmouthing this great phone.
Re: Diary Of A Samsung Note II User by psalmdave(m): 8:23am On Nov 23, 2013
Lol......thats wat u get wen u buy a phone based on "I Hear say"
Re: Diary Of A Samsung Note II User by Rexphobia(m): 9:21am On Nov 23, 2013
donlyone:

So you had the problem in Nov 2013 when the phone was released in Sept 2012. You had like a year to read about the phone.

You too fall my hand. I'll ask you to desist from badmouthing this great phone.

Maybe you should read my response again

I said I bought the phone few months after it was released( say Oct or Nov 2012) and not NOV 2013!!! Hope you get it now.

Lastly, I'm not badmouthing the phone. Rather I am just expressing my obeservation. Maybe you should google SDS+Note II to get a clearer picture of what I am saying.

As at when I bought the phone last year, the only reviews out there were about hands-on and look and feel, spec etc.
Re: Diary Of A Samsung Note II User by femi9naija(m): 10:19am On Nov 23, 2013
You just succeeded in convincing me not to upgrade to a note 2 from a note 1
Re: Diary Of A Samsung Note II User by ciphoenix: 10:44am On Nov 23, 2013
Had my note 2 since January, and yes the eMMC app said insane chip ....blah blah.

Mine is in perfect health. I'm even running the leaked 4.3 firmware with a note 3 app package which gives me the extra note 3 features.

A custom kernel should always be your first move
Re: Diary Of A Samsung Note II User by donlyone(m): 10:57am On Nov 23, 2013
donlyone: So why didn't you take it for free repairs since the phone has a two year warranty.

Let me tell you what you should have known about the Sudden Death Syndrome. There was nothing wrong with the Note2 until a certain XDA member, Alephzain, discovered and published his finding of a HOLE (security issue) in the programming of the EXYNOS chip used in some samsung phones like the Note1, S2, S3, Note2 which said could EXPLOITED by hackers. He also released an app that would patch the hole pending when Samsung will fix the issue in an UPDATE.
Since then it has been 'open season' for hackers on those phones.

This was published as early as December 17, 2012 when no one had any issue with the note2. Accept it was ignorance on your part and don't mislead people. At least you could have fixed it for free.

http://www.gsmarena.com/security_issue_discovered_on_exynosbased_devices-news-5215.php
Re: Diary Of A Samsung Note II User by scotweezy(m): 12:17pm On Nov 23, 2013
ciphoenix: Had my note 2 since January, and yes the eMMC app said insane chip ....blah blah.

Mine is in perfect health. I'm even running the leaked 4.3 firmware with a note 3 app package which gives me the extra note 3 features.

A custom kernel should always be your first move
Bro abeg can U put me through.... I would love to upgrade my note to dat leaked version u're talking of. Note: my note 2 is rooted.
Re: Diary Of A Samsung Note II User by auztyno: 1:45pm On Nov 23, 2013
femi9naija: You just succeeded in convincing me not to upgrade to a note 2 from a note 1
its just like saying"am not gona travel again by road becus peopl die by road accident " funny anywa am using my note 2 since last yr nov nd yet d emmc app says insane chip bla bla bla...nd am running 4.3 with note3 features....(for d poster) besides dia is an app dat u shud hv used to protect ur fon temporaly till a permanent fix comes...buh mabe its naw too late fr d app....
Re: Diary Of A Samsung Note II User by trustedward(m): 4:27pm On Nov 23, 2013
bro u Bleep up,look whenever you're buying a gadget or an electronics,always,always don't rush to get it,just wait till u see people's reviews and oppinion after like two months to make sure everything is going smoothly on it,so i'll blame u there,and for ur information,don't run down that phone again because that's one of the best smartphone there is in the market right nw despite its release since last year...in fact,i just bought another one today after selling my old one....the phone is fantastic...
Re: Diary Of A Samsung Note II User by donlyone(m): 6:28pm On Nov 23, 2013
I'm still waiting for the OP to tell the house why he didn't take the phone to a Samsung center for free repairs. After all, there is two year warranty.
Re: Diary Of A Samsung Note II User by Yinkade(m): 8:46am On Nov 24, 2013
Rexphobia:

Bros, you know exactly where the shoe is pinching me. Can you connect me with the guy that helped fixing the glitch?

I will really appreciate that.
take it to Samsung store first for them to check the type of warranty or has
Re: Diary Of A Samsung Note II User by Nobody: 9:29am On Nov 24, 2013
THRASH....

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Samsung Note II User by ciphoenix: 3:09pm On Nov 24, 2013
scotweezy:
Bro abeg can U put me through.... I would love to upgrade my note to dat leaked version u're talking of. Note: my note 2 is rooted.

Look up hurricane ROM or wanam lite
Re: Diary Of A Samsung Note II User by Rexphobia(m): 8:34pm On Nov 24, 2013
deejay_harry1: THRASH....
okay..next

Yinkade: take it to Samsung store first for them to check the type of warranty or has

i will do that as soon as i can.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tecno Mobile To Release Latest Phantom Z @N68,500 / HELP! How Do I Upgrade Rooted Gingerbread To Jellybean. / Review Of 2015 Latest Android Phones And Their Prices In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.