Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,713 members, 7,831,240 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:58 PM

How To Convince My Husband To Teach Igbo To Our Children - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Convince My Husband To Teach Igbo To Our Children (877 Views)

"My Husband Uses ‘Aboniki’ Balm As Lubricant" – Woman Files For Divorce / Is It Polite For Husband To Seek Wife's Approval On This? / Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Convince My Husband To Teach Igbo To Our Children by unoguli: 4:12pm On Nov 23, 2013
In September of this year my husband and I got our first child. Since my husband is an Igbo and I want him to speak Igbo to our boy, so that he will not look like a stranger in his own fatherland. But my husband refuses to talk his mother tongue to him, saying it would only confuse him. (I know that it doesn't confuse children to grow up with up to 4 languages and I told him several times).
Please help me find ways to convince him, I don't want our children to miss the opportunity to learn this wonderfull language and culture...
Re: How To Convince My Husband To Teach Igbo To Our Children by thorpido(m): 4:36pm On Nov 23, 2013
If you had a child in September,that means your child is just about two months.There's nothing wrong with speaking his language to the child now but the child still has a long time to learn so there's no need to rush.

Are you not Igbo too?Where do u stay(asking to know if your environment has many igbo speaking people)?

No need to rush,I believe he'll start to learn as he grows.
Re: How To Convince My Husband To Teach Igbo To Our Children by Nobody: 8:43pm On Nov 23, 2013
unoguli: In September of this year my husband and I got our first child. Since my husband is an Igbo and I want him to speak Igbo to our boy, so that he will not look like a stranger in his own fatherland. But my husband refuses to talk his mother tongue to him, saying it would only confuse him. (I know that it doesn't confuse children to grow up with up to 4 languages and I told him several times).
Please help me find ways to convince him, I don't want our children to miss the opportunity to learn this wonderfull language and culture...

Confuse him how?

Children pick up new languages very easily so it won't confuse him. It seems your hubby is not proud of his tribe, maybe he is trying to hide it from others or something.
Re: How To Convince My Husband To Teach Igbo To Our Children by unoguli: 11:03pm On Nov 25, 2013
First I want to thank all of you for your answers.
Yes,my child is only 11 weeks.. But since I have made the experience that you get used to speaking a language to a specific person I want him to start it now,before it feels strange to him..
I am a Swiss and so I speak my motgerlanguage, which is German to my son..we live in Switzerland,so the current environment is speaking German as well..
Most Igbo friends my husband has here dont teach their children Igbo..why is that?
I gave my husband a lot of arguments why he should speak Igbo to him but maybe one of you has the one to convince him?
I told him it is best to teach ones child ones own mother language. I told him about the importance of our son to know Igbo language well since our son will b the one to represent him in the village once we may no longer be alive. I told him that through language you also teach a lot about the peoples culture..We are planning to move to Nigeria in future and our son would feel like a stranger in his own father land not knowing Igbo..
The more arguments you can give me the bigger tge chance the convincing one is among... :-)

3 Likes

Re: How To Convince My Husband To Teach Igbo To Our Children by tellwisdom: 4:58am On Nov 26, 2013
You know sabi Anambra travel go?? sad
Re: How To Convince My Husband To Teach Igbo To Our Children by thorpido(m): 7:01pm On Nov 26, 2013
unoguli: First I want to thank all of you for your answers.
Yes,my child is only 11 weeks.. But since I have made the experience that you get used to speaking a language to a specific person I want him to start it now,before it feels strange to him..
I am a Swiss and so I speak my motgerlanguage, which is German to my son..we live in Switzerland,so the current environment is speaking German as well..
Most Igbo friends my husband has here dont teach their children Igbo..why is that?
I gave my husband a lot of arguments why he should speak Igbo to him but maybe one of you has the one to convince him?
I told him it is best to teach ones child ones own mother language. I told him about the importance of our son to know Igbo language well since our son will b the one to represent him in the village once we may no longer be alive. I told him that through language you also teach a lot about the peoples culture..We are planning to move to Nigeria in future and our son would feel like a stranger in his own father land not knowing Igbo..
The more arguments you can give me the bigger tge chance the convincing one is among... :-)
Keep encouraging him to.I'm surprised he's not enthusiastic about his son learning igbo.
You seem a good woman.keep it up.

(1) (Reply)

changed my mind / An Inspirational Story. / Reasons Why House Helps Treat Their Guardians Kids Badly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.