Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,853 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:16 PM

Adaure Achumba And Her Accent - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Adaure Achumba And Her Accent (15706 Views)

Go Behind The Scenes As The Igbo’s Go On Set Of ADAURE For Their Own Version Of / Where Is Adaora Achumba Of Stv? / Adaure Achumba Joins MNET’s Studio 53 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by ayoani(f): 8:38am On Jan 20, 2009
You should have heard her sing gongo-aso during their xmas party @ silverbird.

She was singing it with her usual american accent.

It was so annoying
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by Mustay(m): 9:05am On Jan 20, 2009
Sola Thompson learnt how to speak the way he does on air So, her case could not be dissimilar.
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by spikedcylinder: 10:34am On Jan 20, 2009
Mustay:

Sola Thompson learnt how to speak the way he does on air So, her case could not be dissimilar.

I grew up with Shola Thompson (when he was still a dangly 12yr old lol!), he always spoke like that. smiley
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by Mustay(m): 11:01am On Jan 20, 2009
spikedcylinder:

I grew up with Shola Thompson (when he was still a dangly 12yr old lol!), he always spoke like that. smiley

Like what? shocked shocked Please tell me tongue tongue

Na water them put for him mouth when he small se?
grin grin grin

Nansense tongue
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by spikedcylinder: 11:46am On Jan 20, 2009
Mustay:

Like what? shocked shocked Please tell me tongue tongue

Na water them put for him mouth when he small se?
grin grin grin

Nansense tongue

True that. When him and his family moved back to Nigeria, they used to live in Ilupeju (off Coker road) with his mum and his sisters. I tell you, they were so Behind, it was his family I first heard the phrase "you are grounded". We used to attend the same church too and me and my friends in the teenage section wanted to go to his house after church one day, next thing his (very pretty) mum came out to tell us we couldn't see him because he was grounded. We were all confused thinking they had grounded him with a mortar and pestle. cheesy tongue

He's a cool dude sha, we still live close to each other. How do you know him?
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by Mustay(m): 3:13pm On Jan 20, 2009
sPIKE

THERE ARE STAGES IN LIFE AREN'T THERE?

1-10, 10-20, 20-30 cool
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by JazzFreak(m): 3:34pm On Jan 20, 2009
Mustay:

1-10, 10-20, 20-30 cool

That's true, they ought to have out- grown all this fake tendencies.
Nasal talk !, oh bull angry
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by Gamine(f): 3:55pm On Jan 20, 2009
Leaf the gyal alone ooo!!

rotflmao
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by spikedcylinder: 4:15pm On Jan 20, 2009
Mustay:

sPIKE

1-10, 10-20, 20-30 cool

Of course. But if Shola spoke in a particular way from age 1-20, why should he speak differently from age 20 and above?
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by Mustay(m): 6:00pm On Jan 20, 2009
That is not the question.

Any mass comm student here?

I guess it's the same way Actors do too. To play a xter/ a great person, you have to talk like that person.

Moreover, they enroll in broadcast Schools to. undecided
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by spikedcylinder: 6:04pm On Jan 20, 2009
Yes, and the broadcast schools should definitely teach them how to speak in a manner that the listening locals would understand. . . . . not the fake BS most of these people spill.
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by Gamine(f): 6:11pm On Jan 20, 2009
There is a difference in speaking phoney and pronouncing words right

Americans dont pronounce words right. lol
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by A40(m): 6:28pm On Jan 20, 2009
Some people pick up accents quicker than others and some fake it quicker than others e.g Kanu has been playing in England for close to 10 years now but the Igbotic accent is unmistakeable,Mikel joined Chelsea 2 years back and he sounds more British than Gordon Brown!! it all depends on the individual but her accent is pretty ok since she schooled there and all there are circumstances that could change your accent
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by ilaugh1: 6:32pm On Jan 20, 2009
A-40:

Some people pick up accents quicker than others and some fake it quicker than others e.g Kanu has been playing in England for close to 10 years now but the Igbotic accent is unmistakeable,Mikel joined Chelsea 2 years back and he sounds more British than Gordon Brown!! it all depends on the individual but her accent is pretty ok since she schooled there and all there are circumstances that could change your accent

Only goats pick accents that are not theirs - i hate such people.
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by spikedcylinder: 6:42pm On Jan 20, 2009
A-40:

Funny thing is, when others come to your country, they don't pick up your accent. Faking an accent is admitting that there is something wrong with who you are and the way you talk.
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by ilaugh1: 6:44pm On Jan 20, 2009
spikedcylinder:

Funny thing is, when other come to your country, they don't pick up your accent. Faking an accent is admitting that there is something wrong with who you are and the way you talk.

it is inferiority complex, a way to say - i will ather be what i am not created to be - .
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by A40(m): 6:47pm On Jan 20, 2009
i_laugh:

Only goats pick accents that are not theirs - i hate such people.
ROFLMAO!!

spikedcylinder:

Funny thing is, when other come to your country, they don't pick up your accent. Faking an accent is admitting that there is something wrong with who you are and the way you talk.
You have a point there
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by spikedcylinder: 6:52pm On Jan 20, 2009
A-40:

You have a point there

Of course. wink tongue
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by Afam4eva(m): 9:43pm On Jan 20, 2009
I don't think she's faking her accent
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by suze(f): 9:53pm On Jan 20, 2009
Its a different thimg if she grew up in the states. But she grew up in lagos.Yaba to be precise. She had her primary and secondary education here.

So whats with the accent.
At least Banky W also had hid university education in the states buts hes natural
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by Mustay(m): 9:43am On Jan 21, 2009
The Africans that work for BBC speak in a distinct way that one would still be able to distinguish an African from an European.

Perhaps, if you cannot beat them, join them!

But I still like the African accent; it's like they chew the words cool
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by toluwalomo(m): 2:18pm On Jan 21, 2009
Take a survey amongst the BBC correspondents, not too many Nigerians.

Why?

Most Nigerians cannot tell the difference between fluency and having a fake-ass accent.

When it comes to speaking fluently and preserving their African accent I have always loved South Africans.

Back to Ms Achumba in the early days of Today on STV, Ireti put her on the spot asking about her accent. And she said she adopted the accent "to belong" on TV o!!!!!!

So now that she's back in 9ja, shouldn't she lose it?

Accents are unconsiously andrandomly picked up during formative years. People like Mikle, Babayaro have special tutors.

For someone who goes thru 2 arms of education coming back after 4 years with an accent. Oh plzzzzzzzzzzzzz,

Brick and Lace should have picked up Waffi accents since they have been here countless times.

Abi na?
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by ilaugh1: 2:25pm On Jan 21, 2009
Good for you@Poster

what you worried about?
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by Mustay(m): 5:37pm On Jan 21, 2009
She went to QC didn't she?

Like someone said, inferiority complex dey prevent some people from being themselves.

Funny thing, those you copy actually admire our local way of speaking
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by tboy1(m): 6:11pm On Jan 21, 2009
Mustay:

She went to QC didn't she?
Like someone said, inferiority complex dey prevent some people from being themselves.
Funny thing, those you copy actually admire our local way of speaking
nope, she went to international school lagos
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by allboyz(m): 8:35am On Jan 22, 2009
Aduare ascent is a 2 way thing - while she was schooling there,i think she fought real hard to "copy that ascent' and built on it.

its only my opinion o0o.

i don't think she faking it here.
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by semid4lyfe(m): 11:54am On Jan 27, 2009
? ?
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by Omolola1(f): 11:24am On Jan 28, 2009
Well, am a Mass Communication Student, and as a mass comm prof be it broadcasting, journalism whatever, we are taught that we should speak very well.
About Adaure Achumba faking her accent, i dont know about that but the way and manner she talks is okay by me, because that;s how a presenter should talk, not talking in a local manner. Though, am not in support of fake accent.
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by spikedcylinder: 11:21am On Feb 02, 2009
Omolola1:

Well, am a Mass Communication Student, and as a mass comm prof be it broadcasting, journalism whatever, we are taught that we should speak very well.
About Adaure Achumba faking her accent, i dont know about that but the way and manner she talks is okay by me, because that;s how a presenter should talk, not talking in a local manner. Though, am not in support of fake accent.

If faking other people's accent is what they thought you people in mass comm school, why are you not faking Indian or Taiwanese accents? undecided
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by toluwalomo(m): 11:59am On Feb 02, 2009
Her accent is testimony to how broadcast journalism is percieved by the NOW GENERATION.

If you want an example of fluency, Joke Silva

Enuff of all that nasal gibberish as a means of apt communication it is sickening!
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by spikedcylinder: 1:04pm On Feb 02, 2009
toluwalomo:

Her accent is testimony to how broadcast journalism is percieved by the NOW GENERATION.

If you want an example of fluency, Joke Silva

Enuff of all that nasal gibberish as a means of apt communication it is sickening!

Thank you! Joke speaks fluently with her own accent!
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by netotse(m): 6:10pm On Feb 04, 2009
na wa o, the gel is doing her thing and we're here causing a ruckus about it hmmph!

@semid
wot set were you?know all d ppl u mentioned!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tony Elumelu, Lai Mohammed At Omoni Oboli’s Premiere Of "Wives On Strike" / NBC / AIT Faceoff Resolved / Movie Review: Becoming Abi ; A Workplace Drama Series

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.