Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,794 members, 7,820,786 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:37 PM

Adaure Achumba And Her Accent - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Adaure Achumba And Her Accent (15705 Views)

Go Behind The Scenes As The Igbo’s Go On Set Of ADAURE For Their Own Version Of / Where Is Adaora Achumba Of Stv? / Adaure Achumba Joins MNET’s Studio 53 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by xqwysyte(f): 7:05pm On Sep 20, 2009
She is fake alright.

I lived in the UK for 7 and a half years. I left Nigeria after my secondary school education. but still i do not speak. I only speak the phonetics in very formal settings e.g in an interviiew when i am trying to impress but afte that, straight to my african accent. My british accent is even wearing off slowly simply cos i am not in the UK anymore.

She has got inferioirty complex.
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by Nobody: 10:06pm On Sep 21, 2009
She had her primary and secondary education in Nigeria, right? She's faking jor. grin
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by Gamine(f): 10:16pm On Sep 21, 2009
Han han,
How many years, you people are still on the matter. undecided undecided undecided

Abeg leave her alone o,
Go and speak your own fonee! cheesy
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by Nobody: 11:47am On Sep 22, 2009
trutalk-T:

@ A town: Well, i dont know where you schooled in the US(I wanna say, Atlanta) and how long you were there or have been there for. Let me say, all human beings tend to sound more like the people they interact with on a daily basis. All my learned people, Im sure you agree with this.

I am in a predominantly white school and neighborhood. I hardly see black people. Just after a year of this, I found myself saying certain things the american way. Not because I wanted to, but just because I have spoken that way for a while.

There are different kinds of people, I know people who never spoke pidgin English or spoke without pronouncing their words appropriately, and thats because they were raised that way.

Also, you cannot compare the way a person speaks on a professional tv show to the informal demeanor required on a radio show.

I actually am a big fan of hers and I think she is one of the few professional women in the country who worked very hard to get to where she is.

PS. A Nigerian-American is someone who is a citizen of both Nigeria and America.

Thank you

Oh puleeeeaseeeeee. Using your analogy, why is she still speaking fonee when she is back amongst Nigerians. I am sure she has been here for over 2yrs now abi. For your info, i spent over a decade in the states. I can speak ibonics like tomorrow will never come. I just don't do it all the time. I do it when i am with african americans. I speak regular american english when the situation demands it. I speak my naija english all the time now. Sometimes i speak fonee if i want to "form". The fact remains that you can, i repeat you can never loose your original accent if you lived your entire life in naija and left for the states after secondary school. You can choose not to use it though which is what she is doing. As an on air personnel, she needs to stop the fonee already. She has been in naija for a minute now. People can see through the bullshit. You only speak fonee for about 2months and then blend in. I did not even bother speaking fonee to my close friends because they would have slapped the living daylight out of me (they are really like that). I have been in naija so long now that my naija accent is worse than a waffi boys own. Adaura on the other hand came back to naija before me and she still dey form fonee, abegiii
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by Nobody: 11:48am On Sep 22, 2009
Gamine:

Han han,
How many years, you people are still on the matter. undecided undecided undecided

Abeg leave her alone o,
Go and speak your own fonee! cheesy

na u cause am na. I had forgotten about this topic till you posted. I have been stalking you naaa
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by Mustay(m): 12:04pm On Sep 22, 2009
I've listened to a veteran journalist talking about this lady and Jide Alabi. in fact, Jide's change was dramatic. Na normal im be before im tongue twist.

The -ish is: WHATEVER ACCENT IS USED, IF THE MAJORITY OF THE END-USERS FIND IT DIFFICULT TO COMPREHEND THE PRESENTER'S PRESENTATION, THEN IT'S USELESS!
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by TEEZERO(m): 10:55am On Sep 30, 2009
How did I get here?
I had just listened to this lady on STV. OK: I had heard her before now, and I wondered: she can't even pronounce her name.
This morning, I had the, er, misfortune of seeing her again on STV, and much of the time, she had to repeat herself.
There is definitely a problem; and it does not seem that her bosses care a hoot - may be they are not watching.
A simple rule of communication is about COMPREHENSIBILITY. I should know - I not only read mass communication but I also practise; indeed, this is my 27th year, post-qualification, including a stint in a major American medium, though print.
She lost me several times during the news reading, so I simply switched off - mentally. In other words, I was seeing her but not watching. I don't know how many viewers were in my position.
It would be interesting to know what Dr Christopher Kolade would have to say about her performance: in his days as director-general of Nigerian Broadcasting Corporation - the forebears of Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria - no newscaster would make the mistake of mispronouncing words much less speak through his or her nose.
Good luck to Adaure.
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by Anabel(f): 1:26pm On Sep 30, 2009
spikedcylinder:

She is nasal and she steals accents! Oh lawdy! undecided

yes ooo, i thought i was the only one thinking about it. who she dey claim phonetics for?
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by allmessage: 2:30am On Oct 17, 2009
Too many mistake, many of us hardly her what she says. We are african so speak african accent and pass the msg across us. Does the Chinese read their news in yankee accent?
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by vislabraye(m): 1:59am On Oct 23, 2009
Some may say sexy nasal accdent grin. It has become a part and parcel of her. Cool. I like her programme; she's sort of hot and looks smart every morning. I wonder how she would look like real life
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by semid4lyfe(m): 11:29am On Oct 23, 2009
She's ain't bad looking in real life.
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by vislabraye(m): 4:32am On Oct 24, 2009
You have her number? grin
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by semid4lyfe(m): 12:09pm On Oct 24, 2009
Yeye boy! Wetin u wan take her number do?

Anyhow sha, no be me go give u her no. Get it from some1 else.
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by puskin: 11:41pm On Oct 24, 2009
Adaure looks like a well-dressed barbie doll. grin
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by hollandis(f): 11:50pm On Oct 24, 2009
Four pages of accent analysis!!!! shocked
You guys are just a bunch of retards angry angry angry.Thats why most nationals dont take you serious undecided
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by hollandis(f): 11:57pm On Oct 24, 2009
xqwysyte:

She is fake alright.

I lived in the UK for 7 and a half years. I left Nigeria after my secondary school education. but still i do not speak. I only speak the phonetics in very formal settings e.g in an interviiew when i am trying to impress but afte that, straight to my african accent. My british accent is even wearing off slowly simply cos i am not in the UK anymore.

She has got inferioirty complex.
If this is the reult of 7 and half years in the UK,then you wasted 7 and half years of your life.Nitwit angry
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by vislabraye(m): 1:29am On Oct 27, 2009
hollandis:

If this is the reult of 7 and half years in the UK,then you wasted 7 and half years of your life.Nitwit angry
Na wa o. Don't be too hard on her, afterall Hakeem Olajuwon has leaved in US for more than two decades, but he still speaks like an Ekiti man.
semid4lyfe:

Yeye boy! Wetin u wan take her number do?

Anyhow sha, no be me go give u her no. Get it from some1 else.
Give me the number of the person who go give me her number nah.

puskin:

Adaure looks like a well-dressed barbie doll. grin
you gat it. She looks sort of toyish

hollandis:

Four pages of accent analysis!!!! shocked
You guys are just a bunch of retards angry angry angry.Thats why most nationals dont take you serious undecided
Including one more
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by buttercop(m): 7:47pm On Oct 29, 2009
una don hate reach like this? a newscaster's accent? i'm shocked. i don't think there's anything wrong with her trying to develop an accent. i have a cousin, girl's never been past Lagos and her hometown in osun state she also schools in osun state, if u hear her speak u'll think she'd lived in the US. all her life. i myself can formulate an accent on my own.
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by zania: 5:20pm On Nov 08, 2009
It is quite a pity that many of us after our education are still very ignorant. To clear the air on Adaure so we can move on to more important things.
For your information her accent isn't fake and definately has nothing to do with complex, the poor girl left right after secondary school to yankee,lived there for over 10years and has worked with reputable organization like ABC network and CNN where reporters are given specialhow to speak for those who of us who did mass comm ,U would know what I am talking about. She is a citizen by birth and had her early formative years there. She attended an all white school, she wasn't laid off from her job either she was given a very good offer by STV is California where she was recruited. Because of all u bad bele people the poor girl is trying really hard to tone her accent, heard she has a c.d of accent toning in her car that she listens to. She is a really nice girl and down to earth, i have a friend who knows the family very well and I used him to hang out with her and her family ( crazy peeps). They were extremely fun.All that one she dey do on air na formality, u should see her off air. Don't worry I am not a fan, was also hating at first. As for Ireti,who happens to be the one with a complex is beefed cos the girl is being paid a whole lot more than she is considering they do the same thing. She is bringing a new face to journalism here in naija, so appreciate! Fine, she lived in yaba which is not the ghetto it happens to be where most of the old folks who moved back from the US and UK colonized go and have a look at the names of the streets there. So let us not be quick to judge lest we be judged also, or better still let get our facts right before we crucify.
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by gnaya: 9:53pm On Nov 08, 2009
@ zania.you hit the nail in its right place.Since february some losers have been on this topic.i dnt even knw wat brought me back o this site.na my fault;Cant y'all discuss something more tangible,Adaure Achumba is a fantastic journalist and i admire and gbadun d babe,she dey make money for lagos get correct gouse 4 lekki una still dey here dey cry on top pesin wey gos don bless.people blessed wit different stars she has has so y'all go get urs.
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by Mustay(m): 11:36am On Nov 17, 2009
Everyone keeps on attacking the personality rather than the issue
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by Boboribo: 11:41pm On Nov 21, 2009
There is another one here in Benin City. Her name is Cleopatra "something" (I've not been able to get her surname because she just wont pronouce it well). You will mistake Adaure for Cleopatra. They sound alike and speak in the same manner. Is it that you have to fake your accent before Ben Bruce gives you the job? It is sckening.
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by ponytail: 7:32am On Nov 22, 2009
Mustay:

The -ish is: WHATEVER ACCENT IS USED, IF THE MAJORITY OF THE END-USERS FIND IT DIFFICULT TO COMPREHEND THE PRESENTER'S PRESENTATION, THEN IT'S USELESS!

Mustay:

Everyone keeps on attacking the personality rather than the issue

Got to agree with Mustay on both counts. It's her prerogative if she wishes to fluctuate between accents that sound like Queen Elizabeth's, Lil Wayne's or OmoBaba's. Basic issue is if we cant understand her when she's on the air then she does herself a major disservice. Perhaps she should borrow a leaf from her training in the States where she was taught to speak in a manner that her audience will appreciate.

I've met the young lady, accent aside, she seemed like a decent person. Also read a couple of entries on her blog, they were quite amusing and she seems really down-to-earth. All in all she doesn't come across as the kind of person who needs to put on a show for anyone. Though it must have been some serious training she received in Yankee to eliminate her Naija accent - cos I doubt she was speaking like she does now when she was at ISL.
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by 8words(m): 4:46pm On Nov 22, 2009
that is why i don't watch this nollywood movies coz of this nonosense accent they use now and some african countries call nigeria fake america.
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by ponytail: 6:04pm On Nov 25, 2009
Hate her or Love her, she's on Studio 53 now
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by Naijadr: 6:09am On Nov 26, 2009
wow na wa o, dont know her personally but met her couple of times here in the US, think she was here for 10yrs. I agree it is hard to say if someone's accent is fake, your environment really affects you.

I dont think Naija folks in the US are worse than folks in Jand though, like I see folks who moved to jand at 25, after 2yrs, I cant even understand them, real hardcore thick British accent.
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by spoilt(f): 6:14am On Nov 26, 2009
I was in Nigeria this year and was flipping channels when I happened to come across her hosting the show. i was amused at her desperate attempts to put on an accent.l It was laughable because you could see she was just trying. Her sentences were punctuated with um, um, um and like, its like, like.   .  . If thats what an accent is then we are all done for!! It was ridiculous and rather juvenile. i could not believe that a morning show host would talk like that. Shes Nigerian in Nigeria, why on earth does she think she needs to sound like shes gurgling petrol?  grin grin grin
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by semid4lyfe(m): 10:31am On Nov 26, 2009
? ?
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by spoilt(f): 6:45pm On Nov 26, 2009
She needs to take tips from our seasoned broadcasters of old like Cyril Stober and Ruth B. Opia. Those were the pros. Spoke impeccably without faking American accents. Thats how its done!!
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by zania: 12:51pm On Nov 27, 2009
Whoever you are semid4lyfe, you need to get a LIFE (theres an I for Importance not a Y for , exactly nothing).Only losers spend their time on the internet criticizing successful hardworking people. Maybe if you were important they would have a blog where you would be a topic for discussion, but until then find a job or hobby , LOSER!!!
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by xSNIPERx: 5:01pm On Nov 27, 2009
@semid4lyfe, get a life from your comments i believe you are on a personal vendetta,
You said u went to I.S.L I doubt it because your stupidity surpasses your foolishness but in comparison to your ignorance and contrasting your stubbornness your foolishness reigns supreme… no wonder your fellow I.S.L peeps stick to facebook and not associate with gossips like you trying to make your self feel better by pulling another down,  he who lives in a glass house should not throw stones.I think you should your tend skills and time to some gainful employment,
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by xSNIPERx: 10:45pm On Nov 27, 2009
@semid4lyfe, u didnt have to erase your statements.You are entitled to your opinion, ?
From the moment we start to engage in constructive criticism then we can move Nigeria forward, no matter the sector entertainment, sports, finance ,judiciary, politics etc,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tony Elumelu, Lai Mohammed At Omoni Oboli’s Premiere Of "Wives On Strike" / NBC / AIT Faceoff Resolved / Movie Review: Becoming Abi ; A Workplace Drama Series

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.