Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,832 members, 7,820,914 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:27 AM

Adaure Achumba And Her Accent - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Adaure Achumba And Her Accent (15707 Views)

Go Behind The Scenes As The Igbo’s Go On Set Of ADAURE For Their Own Version Of / Where Is Adaora Achumba Of Stv? / Adaure Achumba Joins MNET’s Studio 53 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by Mustay(m): 12:46pm On Feb 06, 2009
Ade Adedoyin of BBC pronounces his name as "AD[b]i[/b] Ad[b]'dyin[/b]"

In an effort to sound more butish tongue than normal, I can barely hear Adaure distinctively.

@tolu

the Halima et al of NTA news @ 9, Oloyede of Channels TV, Gbemi of cool Fm, Victor Ayara and a whole lot of them at LTV (like the way their newscasters speak) went to different schools right?

Apaprt from the broadcast school at Ikeja, which other one(s) do we have?
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by earTHMama: 10:11pm On Feb 07, 2009
Who is this adarue woman? wetin she dey do?
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by spikedcylinder: 9:34am On Feb 08, 2009
She is a broadcaster who also possesses an exceptional forehead. grin
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by earTHMama: 9:06am On Feb 09, 2009
She is a broadcaster who also possesses an exceptional forehead
Broadcaster for where?. NTA?
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by toluwalomo(m): 11:27am On Feb 09, 2009
@ earth, Nope SilverBird Tv.

Besides possessing a forehead that can eclipse the sun, she laffs like Ernie from Sesame Street

Tune in to Today on STV Monday to Friday after the 7 am news, watch out for a nasal accent irritant!
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by jeffoski(m): 8:29pm On Feb 09, 2009
Na Wa o Una sef can talk too much she na her fault say she they speak like that?She got her Job because of her accent she is making it now becos of her accent and She will continue to make it becos of that accent so why the beff now.If she was speaking normally(since una say na fake she they speak)did you think she would have been on t.v or if you guys will know her?she's trying to be diffrent and unique in her own way and you guys are beffing her
As long as the accent is paying her bills make she carry go if you don't like it change your channel no be by force.Haba if she dey blow bomb una go complain imagine person abuse Kanu English.
If you say her English is fake pls tell me wat you will call kemistry's own,and if them no gree learn Nigerian or pidgin accent for broadcasting school na their fault?you too go start something like mtn talk maybe when una start with una village accent people go follow una that is if you get employed by big t.v houses and radio or not end up in MITV,OGTV OR GALAXY
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by Grizzly(m): 8:46pm On Feb 09, 2009
Who is Adaure?
Post a damned pic.
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by jeffoski(m): 9:00pm On Feb 09, 2009
check the first page
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by earTHMama: 8:16am On Feb 10, 2009
@ earth, Nope SilverBird Tv.

Besides possessing a forehead that can eclipse the sun, she laffs like Ernie from Sesame Street

Tune in to Today on STV Monday to Friday after the 7 am news, watch out for a nasal accent irritant!
Roflmao grin grin grin
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by semid4lyfe(m): 11:52am On Feb 10, 2009
? ?
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by trutalkT: 6:55pm On Feb 10, 2009
All the losers who are judging someone who is going places in life, nobody created a discussion board about none of those jokers. I joined this thing so I could finally address all this crowd mentality rubbish. Some of ppl talking like they know anything about the girl. Get your facts before chatting trash. The babe was in the US for almost 10 years. She's entitled to speak an even thicker accent than she does now. In her defence, she's always been nasal. lol.
For all ya'll who say "oh the Nigerian accent is so this and so that" PUH-LEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The NIgerian Accent has very many variations. I have a Nigerian accent and people think I schooled abroad, they just cant figure out where, because its good english.
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by jeffoski(m): 10:26pm On Feb 11, 2009
trutlakT YOU ARE REALLY A TRU TALKER YOU JUST SAID THE RIGHT AND TRU THING
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by spikedcylinder: 1:24pm On Feb 12, 2009
She is nasal and she steals accents! Oh lawdy! undecided
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by gnaya: 10:06am On Feb 13, 2009
@suze.u dont have ur info ryt.i knw her and her family.she went to school in america and lived there for ten years.workd in ABC network and in CNN chicago before silverbird recruited her from california.and as a reporter u are trained in a certain mannerism.i belive her accent isnt fake she is d most down to earth person i hv ever met.her family is very nice , crazy and very funny u nid to hangout wit them to knw wat i mean.and she was my senior in skool.bliv me i knw wat im saying
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by Mustay(m): 2:08pm On Feb 13, 2009
trutalk-T:

All the losers who are judging someone who is going places in life, nobody created a discussion board about none of those jokers. I joined this thing so I could finally address all this crowd mentality rubbish. Some of ppl talking like they know anything about the girl. Get your facts before chatting trash. The babe was in the US for almost 10 years. She's entitled to speak an even thicker accent than she does now. In her defence, she's always been nasal. lol.
For all ya'll who say "oh the Nigerian accent is so this and so that" PUH-LEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The NIgerian Accent has very many variations. I have a Nigerian accent and people think I schooled abroad, they just cant figure out where, because its good english.

Just as we tend to mix tribal/religion issues with important national issues, Nairalanders tend to tackle personalities ratther than topics.

Who gives a damn!

When you 're in Rome, become a ROMAN! The target audience of STV/Rhythm isn't the AMERICANS; it's Nigerians 1st! If you can't get to your target audience, then what's the use of a broadcast? As American as Dan Foster can be, he still tries to get to his audience in local parlance. Even Kemistry who spent time abroad tries the same.

Whatever the case is, mine is that she should speak DISTINCTIVELY. The Nigerian-Accent has many variations and except for the Liberians and some others, African assents are similar!
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by spikedcylinder: 4:15pm On Feb 13, 2009
Mustay:

Just as we tend to mix tribal/religion issues with important national issues, Nairalanders tend to tackle personalities ratther than topics.

Who gives a damn!

When you 're in Rome, become a ROMAN! The target audience of STV/Rhythm isn't the AMERICANS; it's Nigerians 1st! If you can't get to your target audience, then what's the use of a broadcast? As American as Dan Foster can be, he still tries to get to his audience in local parlance. Even Kemistry who spent time abroad tries the same.

Whatever the case is, mine is that she should speak DISTINCTIVELY. The Nigerian-Accent has many variations and except for the Liberians and some others, African assents are similar!

smiley smiley smiley
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by Gamine(f): 12:31am On Feb 15, 2009
I remember gushing about a guys voice on a thread here on NL

He was born in America, lived in Nigeria for about 10years and went back, he is almost thirty now

when i heard him, it wasnt so much about the tone of the voice. . . . that tripped me

it was more about The Proper Pronunciation of words. .there is nothing like it

no "foney" in this world can over ride correct pronunciation and clarity in tone
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by Aiyetunje: 1:19am On Feb 15, 2009
hmmm. . . .so she went to ISL? dont recall her tho i was her senior anyways

the few times i have heard her she has come across as fake!

glad to see a lot of ISL peeps here, was beginning to think we were extinct
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by Aiyetunje: 1:24am On Feb 15, 2009
Just glanced thru her blog now and she calls her self a Nigerian-American . . . am just wondering since guys are saying she stayed here for a while, is her citizenship due to the green card or birth/parentage? just curious o!
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by semid4lyfe(m): 4:48pm On Feb 15, 2009
Aiyetunje:

hmmm. . . .so she went to ISL? dont recall her tho i was her senior anyways

the few times i have heard her she has come across as fake!

glad to see a lot of ISL peeps here, was beginning to think we were extinct

Yeap-------She went to ISL and She had two younger bro's a class and 2 classes her junior respectively in ISL.
ISL guys are only on facebook o, Na there dem dey camp 24/7------------ the few I still hang out with are always asking me----- Wetin u dey always do on NL sef n I'm always like wetin u dey always do on facebook sef------------LOL
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by gnaya: 3:53pm On Feb 16, 2009
correct me if im wrong cos i dont understand the essence of this site.is it to diss people and talk about things u think are flaws and cant do anything about it or to enlighten ourselves, gist and hv intellectual and reproductive conversations.The person in question is making a living and earning alot and we r here discussing stuff that wont put food on the table.you nid to get a life.The problem is we always find it easy to condem peeps.lets see u do sumtyn and do it well.im new on nairaland and i want a reason to always log on,not reading gossip .
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by amaikama(m): 1:41pm On Feb 20, 2009
She is okay! question would really like to ask is, is she single ,married or engaged? kiss
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by suze(f): 7:29pm On Feb 20, 2009
g-naya:

@suze.u dont have ur information ryt.i knw her and her family.she went to school in america and lived there for ten years.workd in ABC network and in CNN chicago before silverbird recruited her from california.and as a reporter u are trained in a certain mannerism.i belive her accent isnt fake she is d most down to earth person i hv ever met.her family is very nice , crazy and very funny u nid to hangout wit them to knw wat i mean.and she was my senior in skool.bliv me i knw wat im saying

I dont have my info wrong.Adaure had her primary and secondary education here in nigeria.She grew up here in nigeria.She went to the states for her university.
But how come she left CNN chicago for silverbird?!! shocked Did they sack her or what?

Well what i know is that when she was intervirewed she said her dream is to work for CNN
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by gnaya: 9:39pm On Feb 22, 2009
u knw u sound like its beef, some1 said this whole nairaland thingy is to address personalities but u guys just gossip.and to answer ur question she was'nt sacked i asked her sister and i was told she was doin an internship there.u said you dnt hv ur facts wrong so how cum u dint state in ur note that she spent up to 10yrs or more in America and moved back in 2007.u just made it seem like she just went to yankee and came back overnyt and started speaking oyinbo.since u knw so much bout her and her family and hv taken it upon urself to addresss her accent pls gv us d ryt yarns abeg.
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by suze(f): 8:14pm On Feb 23, 2009
g-naya:

u knw u sound like its beef, some1 said this whole nairaland thingy is to address personalities but u guys just gossip.and to answer ur question she was'nt sacked i asked her sister and i was told she was doin an internship there.u said you dnt hv ur facts wrong so how cum u dint state in ur note that she spent up to 10yrs or more in America and moved back in 2007.u just made it seem like she just went to yankee and came back overnyt and started speaking oyinbo.since u knw so much bout her and her family and hv taken it upon urself to addresss her accent pls gv us d ryt yarns abeg.

my facts are not wrong. I said she had her primary and secondary school education in nigeria which is very true.I dont have beef for her.I believe she chooses to speak like that.I believe that what she wants. Banky W also spent years in the state but doesnt speak like that but can speak like that if he wants to.
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by gnaya: 10:41am On Feb 24, 2009
hey i dnt want to start sounding like a big fan.wat im saying is if u hv a topic dont leave any detail out.banky W studied engineering abi or sumtyn like im nt sure.she studied mass comm and journalism its completely different.so now wats d issue.how do u intend to deal wit it cos dere is nothing on the surface of the earth u or i can do about it.the problem with most of us is when we cant do sumtyn or do it ryt we start condeming it.its either when she is on air u flip ova or turn off ur T.V or go to bed.shikena,
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by semid4lyfe(m): 3:07pm On Feb 24, 2009
Kai!Some peeps like argument sha.
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by suze(f): 6:53pm On Mar 04, 2009
g-naya:

hey i dnt want to start sounding like a big fan.wat im saying is if u hv a topic dont leave any detail out.banky W studied engineering abi or sumtyn like im nt sure.she studied mass comm and journalism its completely different.so now wats d issue.how do u intend to deal wit it cos dere is nothing on the surface of the earth u or i can do about it.the problem with most of us is when we cant do sumtyn or do it ryt we start condeming it.its either when she is on air u flip ova or turn off ur T.V or go to bed.shikena,

The way adaure speaks has nothing to do with the fact that she studied mass comm.Speaking and pronouncing your words well is different from speaking with an american accent.You mentioned shes been in the u.s for like 10years and so she picked up the accent.Dan Foster is a radio broadcaster and has been in Nigeria for over 10years now, but he still speaks with his american accent.Because he grew up speaking like that.

Adaure grew up here in lagos , finished her secondary education here. she grew up speaking with a nigerian accent.She spent some years in U.S , shes now back in nigeria and then her nigerian accent is no more.

Why are we always nigerians quick to change our accent?Even in our own country
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by ritapearl(f): 5:19pm On Mar 16, 2009
I think her accent isnt fake. I like the way she speaks.
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by Nobody: 3:58pm On May 02, 2009
Her fonee is fake the same way every single Nigerian secondary school grad that went to college in the states. I am also guilty of this. End of discussion.

If you finished secondary school in Nigeria and moved to America for college, you will agree with me.
When Nigerians talk to themselves in the states, the conversation is mostly in a Nigerian accent/pidgin. On the other hand, if you speak to an American, Courtesy demands that you speak in a way that'll prevent them from saying "hun" 5 million times.
As a result Nigerians switch from ibonics and regular American english to pidgin faster than you can say "eba".
When you come back home, people expect you to speak fonee so most people just go with the flow and speak fonee.
Mind you, you will not loose your original dialect/tone/Nigerian way of speaking. You only end up not using it.

It is only Nigerians who left when they were extremely "young" that can "claim" they lost their original accent.
It is not a big deal to "fonerize". We all do it.
The problem is that she works "on air". The shit sounds fu.c.ked up.

All she needs to do is to do what we all did. Gradually chip in a few pidgin words every now and then and completely LOOSE the fonee after a year in Naija.
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by trutalkT: 8:44pm On Aug 30, 2009
A-town:

Her fonee is fake the same way every single Nigerian secondary school grad that went to college in the states. I am also guilty of this. End of discussion.

If you finished secondary school in Nigeria and moved to America for college, you will agree with me.
When Nigerians talk to themselves in the states, the conversation is mostly in a Nigerian accent/pidgin. On the other hand, if you speak to an American, Courtesy demands that you speak in a way that'll prevent them from saying "hun" 5 million times.
As a result Nigerians switch from ibonics and regular American english to pidgin faster than you can say "eba".
When you come back home, people expect you to speak fonee so most people just go with the flow and speak fonee.
Mind you, you will not loose your original dialect/tone/Nigerian way of speaking. You only end up not using it.

It is only Nigerians who left when they were extremely "young" that can "claim" they lost their original accent.
It is not a big deal to "fonerize". We all do it.
The problem is that she works "on air". The shit sounds fu.c.ked up.

All she needs to do is to do what we all did. Gradually chip in a few pidgin words every now and then and completely LOOSE the fonee after a year in Naija.
@ A town: Well, i dont know where you schooled in the US(I wanna say, Atlanta) and how long you were there or have been there for. Let me say, all human beings tend to sound more like the people they interact with on a daily basis. All my learned people, Im sure you agree with this.

I am in a predominantly white school and neighborhood. I hardly see black people. Just after a year of this, I found myself saying certain things the american way. Not because I wanted to, but just because I have spoken that way for a while.

There are different kinds of people, I know people who never spoke pidgin English or spoke without pronouncing their words appropriately, and thats because they were raised that way.

Also, you cannot compare the way a person speaks on a professional tv show to the informal demeanor required on a radio show.

I actually am a big fan of hers and I think she is one of the few professional women in the country who worked very hard to get to where she is.

PS. A Nigerian-American is someone who is a citizen of both Nigeria and America.

Thank you
Re: Adaure Achumba And Her Accent by pek(m): 2:49pm On Aug 31, 2009
studing in the US for 4 yrs does not make you pick an accent that is difficult to decipher by your average audience. i sincerely think she can change. true, it is irritating and and self styled.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tony Elumelu, Lai Mohammed At Omoni Oboli’s Premiere Of "Wives On Strike" / NBC / AIT Faceoff Resolved / Movie Review: Becoming Abi ; A Workplace Drama Series

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.