Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:54 AM

"Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / "Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe (10795 Views)

The Real Reason Most Nigerian Graduates Are jobless / Graduates Are Looking For Jobs While Illiterates Are Billionaires And Employing / Nigerian Graduates Are Employable Only After Polishing- CEO, Accenture Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe by Jarus(m): 7:59am On Nov 25, 2013
For those that read top newspapers in Nigeria, especially Punch and BusinessDay, Nimi Akinkugbe should not be an unfamiliar name. She is an authority and perhaps the country’s most respected columnist on personal finance matters. After a successful career in IBTC spanning 21 years, rising to the position of GM and Head Private Client Services, she moved to Barclays Bank in 2010 as the Regional Director (West Africa) International Private Bank. She is presently the Director, Best Games Limited, the company that developed the much publicised Lagos City Monopoly game early this year. Best Games Limited is the exclusive distributor of customised editions of Monopoly in Africa (excluding South Africa).

For a personality of such standing, with predictably very busy schedules, it is only natural that getting her time for interview will not come easy. After weeks, I was able to get her answer some questions that I think readers of this portal, nay Nigerian youths at large, will benefit from. Here we go:

JH: As a senior management staff in IBTC (IBTC-Chartered and the enlarged StanbicIBTC) for many years, you must have recruited and worked with many Nigerian graduates. What is your experience with Nigerian graduates? Do you agree that they are unemployable as some analysts opine?

NA: I have always worked with outstanding Nigerian graduates even during the period where we have noticed a serious decline in educational standards. Those that have been fortunate to have the opportunity to be exposed to study abroad have more access to a well-rounded education and the required tools, but nothing beats a basic intelligence, and ability which our Nigerian youth are endowed with, and a drive and desire to succeed. With the internet, and access to a plethora to information our students here do have access to so much material. We tend to place heavy importance and are obsessed with all things ‘foreign’ and expect by default that the foreign trained graduate to be better; from my experience, this has not always been the case.

JH: Your Company, Bestman Games Limited, early this year, launched the Lagos city monopoly game, and it has been a success so far. What really inspired this?

NA: At Stanbic IBTC we realized that there is no personal finance instruction in the school curriculum. People just grow up picking up bad financial habits along the way, sometimes having great difficulty in their finances as they become adults. We started to include next generation seminars into our periodic personal finance seminars and talked to our clients’ children about saving and investing. Standard Bank had an excellent personal finance board game called “Winning Teams,” that teaches children in a playful, practical way, the basics of saving and investing.

It was at that time that I first embraced the idea of creating a personal finance board game that could go complement my columns and speaking engagements. I have written articles for a host of publications; Genevieve Magazine, 234 Next, and later The Punch Newspaper, Business Day, and a few blogs, including BellaNaija to try to simplify the world of personal finance in a way that will motivate people to pay attention to this important aspect of their lives. I didn’t do much about the board game until October 2010 when Harrow School, in the United Kingdom launched its own edition of Monopoly.

Before then I had only been familiar with the famous London edition with Mayfair, Park Lane, Old Kent Road etc, and didn’t realize that there were customized editions. Harrow School directed me to Winning Moves who own the franchise from HASBRO, owners of the Monopoly brand, to customize Monopoly editions in Europe, the Middle East and Africa. Monopoly is such a fantastic brand so there was no reason to continue to pursue the creation of my own board game. I approached Winning Moves UK and convinced them and Hasbro to commission new African editions of Monopoly. Lagos made history by being the first African City to have a local edition created for the mega city.

JH: What advice, as a successful professional yourself, do you have for my readers on career success in corporate Nigeria?

NA: Career success and personal success are derived from having set goals and staying focused on them as well as having integrity, being reliable, diligent and hard working. There are no short cuts to success and you cannot wish away these qualities. They are very helpful in building a sustainable career and if you imbibe them they will see you through success in key areas of your life not just at work. Employees who are reliable, dependable and can be trusted will always be more successful in any organization.

A company’s human resource is its most critical success factor and it is nice to see a growing focus on this area. Several companies are offering career solutions and entrepreneurial development programs and seminars. It is important to keep abreast of such programs and to keep learning as much as one can. You owe it to yourself to continually develop yourself and not rely on an employer to do this; this helps one to remain employable or become self-employed.

I believe that each of us has a unique talent that should be discovered and nurtured. Discover your passion and what you love doing as you may find that this is what drives you most towards success; it might also help you to employ others. Gone are the days where a degree guarantees you employment; now with the levels of unemployment, not just in Nigeria but globally, a degree must be viewed as a tool, a stepping-stone to employment or entrepreneurship.

http://www.jarushub.com/foreign-trained-graduates-are-not-necessarily-better-nimi-akinkugbe/

1 Like

Re: "Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe by hammedkola(m): 8:22am On Nov 25, 2013
Wani abuni yai yowa fa, zan karanta anjuma. cool

2 Likes

Re: "Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe by twogood: 8:25am On Nov 25, 2013
Not necessarily better but better

1 Like

Re: "Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe by Nobody: 9:49am On Nov 25, 2013
This Sh*t too long Joor! angry but Because na Jarus Write am, i must read am finish smiley

1 Like

Re: "Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe by ezme(m): 9:51am On Nov 25, 2013
Title should have read " Foreign trained graduates are not necessarily better".

14 Likes

Re: "Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe by hotboz: 9:52am On Nov 25, 2013
Nice interview. Good to know we are not as bad as some people opined.

1 Like

Re: "Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe by Lilimax(f): 9:52am On Nov 25, 2013
Jarus:
I believe that each of us has a unique talent that should be discovered and nurtured. Discover your passion and what you love doing as you may find that this is what drives you most towards success; it might also help you to employ others. Gone are the days where a degree guarantees you employment; now with the levels of unemployment, not just in Nigeria but globally, a degree must be viewed as a tool, a stepping-stone to employment or entrepreneurship.
This is just the summary of the whole thing.
Case closed!

9 Likes

Re: "Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe by AnodaIT(m): 9:55am On Nov 25, 2013
Lilimax: This is just the summary of the whole thing.
Case closed!
You beat me to that point.
Dont just get the paper degree, get skills and be known for something.
Establish yourself to be known as a problem solver and excel in providing solutions and make contacts
Re: "Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe by SincereBigot: 9:56am On Nov 25, 2013
Re: "Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe by Nobody: 9:56am On Nov 25, 2013
Case closed!
seconded
Re: "Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe by KenJak(m): 9:58am On Nov 25, 2013
All right
Re: "Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe by Nobody: 9:58am On Nov 25, 2013
NA: I have always worked with outstanding Nigerian graduates even during the period where we have noticed a serious decline in educational standards. Those that have been fortunate to have the opportunity to be exposed to study abroad have more access to a well-rounded education and the required tools, but nothing beats a basic intelligence, and ability which our Nigerian youth are endowed with, and a drive and desire to succeed. With the internet, and access to a plethora to information our students here do have access to so much material. We tend to place heavy importance and are obsessed with all things ‘foreign’ and expect by default that the foreign trained graduate to be better; from my experience, this has not always been the case.

I'm very much impressed with what she said here..that you were opportuned for school abroad doesn't mean you're better than us here....
I wish all these companies obsessed with foreign certificates will see this and give equal opportunity to everybody regardless of where you earned your certificate. .
Re: "Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe by slap1(m): 9:59am On Nov 25, 2013
ASUU should allow us get the degree first.

1 Like

Re: "Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe by Big4wig(m): 10:01am On Nov 25, 2013
If no b say dis na front page i for no just comment..since na fp & i no sabi wetin dem dey yan,I COMMENT MY RESERVE
Re: "Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe by Ugosample(m): 10:02am On Nov 25, 2013
gcfr.com:
seconded
Thirded grin
Re: "Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe by Nobody: 10:02am On Nov 25, 2013
Good morning all and pls sorry for derailing, pls kindly help with information on commercial interlocking mopping/cleaning. Whoever is into that shld do help pls. God bless!
Re: "Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe by Nobody: 10:06am On Nov 25, 2013
Godshand: Good morning all and pls sorry for derailing, pls kindly help with information on commercial interlocking mopping/cleaning. Whoever is into that shld do help pls. God bless!

Pls do treat this as it's very important. Thanks!
Re: "Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe by Pedagogue: 10:10am On Nov 25, 2013
She has said nothing new.

'Not all Foreign trained Nigerians are better than Naija trained...'

'Not all Naija trained graduates are bad...'

Nothing startling in what she said!

Well, it's news because she's Nimi Akinkugbe!!!

I trust ego craving Nigerians. This thread would soon be flooded with talks about how FOREIGN TRAINED STUDENTS ARE BETTER and HOW NAIJA STUDENTS ARE BETTER!

For ppl who schooled abroad, it's an opportunity to thump their chest and proclaim their superiority.
For naija trained students, it's an opportunity to bad mouth foreign trained graduates by saying ' naija education is more strenuous and not the spoon feed type of education foreign graduates acquired!

Left to me, all is vanity upon vanity. Personal development is the hallmark of everything.

4 Likes

Re: "Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe by Superstar007(m): 10:10am On Nov 25, 2013
I comment my reserve
Re: "Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe by Adflex1(m): 10:11am On Nov 25, 2013
What is this one saying
Re: "Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe by strawgirl(f): 10:14am On Nov 25, 2013
Meaning - Untrained graduates are necessarily Bettér.
Smh.
Re: "Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe by UjSizzle(f): 10:15am On Nov 25, 2013
Case closed!
Seconded!!

Finding what you're most passionate about can be a driving force to your success smiley
Degrees can only take you so far.
Re: "Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe by mrphysics(m): 10:15am On Nov 25, 2013
it doesnt concern me. weda trained,learned or what have u graduates, they all means dsame thing. which category did d speaker fall in2. wot on earth is nt PHYSICS. like if u r a PHYSICIST
Re: "Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe by AnOlAd: 10:18am On Nov 25, 2013
Nice one...
Re: "Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe by firstolalekan(m): 10:19am On Nov 25, 2013
y
Re: "Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe by Brimmie(m): 10:19am On Nov 25, 2013
For those that read top newspapers in Nigeria, epecially Punch and BusinessDay, Nimi Ainkugbe should not be an unfamiliar name. She is an authority and perhaps the country’s most respected columnist on personal finance matters.
And in another thread, they're calling Punch Amala Newspaper.
Re: "Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe by b3llo(m): 10:19am On Nov 25, 2013
Hmm... That's good to know
Re: "Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe by Nobody: 10:21am On Nov 25, 2013
mrphysics: it doesnt concern me. weda trained,learned or what have u graduates, they all means dsame thing. which category did d speaker fall in2. wot on earth is nt PHYSICS. like if u r a PHYSICIST
mumu...is the arts physics? is law physics? is the humanities physics?It is pple like u that are giving education in Nigeria a bad name.
Re: "Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe by angelz(f): 10:21am On Nov 25, 2013
i always enjoyed her articles in the punch newspaper.
She's a respected columnist.
Re: "Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe by 9jahubcom(m): 10:23am On Nov 25, 2013
not really
Re: "Foreign Trained Graduates Are Not Necessarily Better" - Nimi Akinkugbe by ochukoccna: 10:23am On Nov 25, 2013
ezme: Title should have read " Foreign trained graduate are not necessarily better".
I concur
However, I disagree with her seeing that if you have the means, courses like Science, Engineering and medical related fields are best done out of Nigeria
Those that have been fortunate to have the opportunity to be exposed to study abroad have more access to a well-rounded education and the required tools, but nothing beats a basic intelligence, and ability which our Nigerian youth are endowed with, and a drive and desire to succeed. With the internet, and access to a plethora to information our students here do have access to so much materials
The bottom line regardless of where you study is [size=14pt]the drive and desire to succeed[/size]
Also one must take her interview in context of time lines seeing graduates from Nigerian universities in the past five years ..... embarassed embarassed
Hmnn!

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Most Lucrative Medical Specialty In The World. / Why Do People Quit Their Jobs At Dream/big Companies? / How To Look For Another Job Without Your Boss Finding Out ( Step-by-step Method)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.