Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,707 members, 7,809,690 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:15 PM

9 Things Bosses Do That Make Employees Quit - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 9 Things Bosses Do That Make Employees Quit (10726 Views)

Employees That Slept With Their Bosses, How Did It End? / 7 Types Of Bosses In Nigeria's Corporate Outfits / Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

9 Things Bosses Do That Make Employees Quit by magazineguy(m): 7:28am On Aug 21, 2017
It’s quite alarming how often I hear managers complaining about their employees leaving, and they virtually do have something to complain about – not many things are as expensive and disruptive as good people taking walks out the door.

Managers generally tend to put the blame on every possible thing under the sun and at the same time, ignoring the crux of the problem: people don’t walk away from jobs; they walk away from managers. The really sad part is that this can be averted if bosses would develop a new perspective and attempt to fix themselves first.

In this article, I want to talk about the nine (9) things that managers do that send their best employees out the door.

They overwork their employees

Nothing burns out your employees quite like overworking them. It’s so tempting to work your employees hard that managers often fall into this trap. Overworking your employees is perplexing; it makes them sense as if they’re being punished for their top-notch performance – I once heard a manager say that the reward for a great work is more work. However, overworking employees is also counter-productive. Studies show that productivity per hour declines sharply when the work week exceeds 50 hours, and productivity drops off a lot after 55 hours and at this point, you don’t get anything out of working more.

Should you want to increase how much work your employees are doing, you’d better increase their reputation and status as well. This way, employees will be willing to take on a bigger workload, however they would leave if their job suffocates them in the process. Salary raise and promotions are ideal ways to increase workload. If you sincerely increased workload due to the fact people are good at it, without improving on other aspects of the job that concerns them, they may just be searching for another employer that will give them what they deserve.

They don’t recognize contributions or reward great work

It’s common that people underestimate the power of simple acknowledgment of a great work – call it a pat on the back, especially with employees who are intrinsically motivated. Everybody likes kudos, even these employees who work hard and give their all. Managers need to speak with their people to find out what makes them happy, after which they reward them for a job well done. With great employees, this will be done often if you do it right.

They don’t care about their employees

A huge number of people who leave their jobs do so because of their relationship with their boss. Smart businesses ensure their managers find a way to balance being professional with being human. These are the bosses who take time to celebrate employee achievements, empathize with the ones going through difficult times, and are challenging even if it hurts. Bosses who fail to care will constantly have resignation letters piled up in their mails. It’s very difficult to work for someone from 9-5 everyday when they aren’t individually concerned and don’t care about anything other than you working for them.

They don’t honor their commitments

Making guarantees and promises to employees places you on the great line that lies between making them very happy and watching them stroll out the door. While you uphold a promise, you prove yourself to be honest and honorable (two very essential traits in a boss). But when you brush aside your promise, you come across to your employees as slimy, uncaring, and disrespectful. In the end, if the boss doesn’t honor his or her commitments, why should anybody else?

They employ the wrong people

Employees need to work with like-minded professionals. When managers don’t do the simple hard work of hiring the right people, it’s a chief demotivator for the ones stuck running alongside them. Going on to promote the wrong person(s) is even worse. When you work so hard to get things done right only to get overlooked for a promotion that is then given to a person who didn’t merit the position. It’s a huge insult and can make even the best and most dedicated of employees leave.

They don’t allow employees pursue their passions

Great employees are passionate. Providing opportunities for them to pursue their passions improves their productivity and job delight. But many managers want their employees to work inside a little box. Those managers fear that productiveness will decline in the event that they allow the employees expand their interest and pursue their passions. This worry is unfounded. Studies show that folks who are capable of pursuing their passions at work experience have a euphoric state of mind that is 5 times more efficient than the norm.

They fail to improve their people skills

When managers are asked about their lack of attention to their employees, they try to excuse themselves, saying things like “I trust them,” “autonomy,” and “empowerment.” That is entirely nonsense. Good managers do their jobs, irrespective of how proficient and trustworthy the subordinates are. They pay interest and are continuously listening and giving comments.

Management may have a beginning; however, it really has no end. When you have a skilled employee, it’s up to you to maintain finding areas where they could enhance to improve their skill set. Great employees want feedback and it’s your task to keep it coming. If you don’t, your employees will become bored and complacent.

They fail to engage their creativity

The most proficient employees desire to improve on everything they do. If you eliminate their capacity to change and improve things due to the fact you’re very comfortable with the current state of things, this makes them hate their jobs. Caging up this innate desire to create does not only limit them, it limits you and your business.

They fail to be intellectually challenging

Remarkable bosses task their employees to accomplish things that appear improbable at the beginning. Instead of placing mundane, incremental goals, they set lofty targets that push their employees out of their comfort zones. Then, they do everything they can to help them meet the target. When intelligent professionals find themselves routinely doing things that have become too easy or uninteresting, they start seeking other jobs in the bid to challenge their intellects.

If you want your remarkable staffs to stay, you want to assume carefully about the way you deal with them. Yes, the perfect employees are as tough as nails but then again, their skill set offers them an abundance of alternatives. You want to make sure they are working for you and give you the results you want.

source; http://tushmagazine.com.ng/9-things-bosses-make-employees-quit/

cc
lalasticala, mynd44, dominique

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9 Things Bosses Do That Make Employees Quit by swiz123(m): 7:30am On Aug 21, 2017
I totally disagree with number 2 Mr op.An employee must not be rewarded with a pat on the back or anything of the kind. An employees reward is his\her salary. So anyone quiting cos of such reason is completely oblivious of the Nigeria's economic situation

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Things Bosses Do That Make Employees Quit by Swegzfreak: 7:36am On Aug 21, 2017
Hmmm...
Re: 9 Things Bosses Do That Make Employees Quit by empressSkincare(f): 7:38am On Aug 21, 2017
Eye opening... Thanks for sharing.

GET RID OF STRETCH MARKS, CHECK MY SIGNATURE.
Re: 9 Things Bosses Do That Make Employees Quit by ultron12345: 7:39am On Aug 21, 2017
What about the 90 things employees do to run their employers out of business.

Look at No.3, as if employees care about their employers.

1 Like

Re: 9 Things Bosses Do That Make Employees Quit by cr7rooney10(m): 7:40am On Aug 21, 2017
They hold them from behind
Re: 9 Things Bosses Do That Make Employees Quit by Nobody: 7:40am On Aug 21, 2017
10. They turn them to Marketers when the business isn't moving. grin

4 Likes

Re: 9 Things Bosses Do That Make Employees Quit by Benjom(m): 7:40am On Aug 21, 2017
cr7rooney10:
They hold them from behind

shocked

Can you shed more light on this cos I'm an employer. This one seems strange to me.

Re: 9 Things Bosses Do That Make Employees Quit by tofolo(m): 7:41am On Aug 21, 2017
and when salary is low and no increment in sight.
Re: 9 Things Bosses Do That Make Employees Quit by BornnAgainChild(f): 7:43am On Aug 21, 2017
Pls add " they try sleep with their employees" to that your list
Re: 9 Things Bosses Do That Make Employees Quit by Nobody: 7:44am On Aug 21, 2017
Hmm. Am I seeing passion there? If you want to pursue passion, better be your own boss..

Check my signature

1 Like

Re: 9 Things Bosses Do That Make Employees Quit by ashewoboy(m): 7:44am On Aug 21, 2017
they make sexual advances to their subordinate. like when an ashewoboss wanna fvck his/her subordinatecheesy.

skarlett is a fvckgirl. she cajoled me.
Re: 9 Things Bosses Do That Make Employees Quit by yacimpaul(m): 7:46am On Aug 21, 2017
I'd fell a victim of this sometimes ago.........its so sad being worked out all day without a reasonable commendation rather u get all manner of insults...
Re: 9 Things Bosses Do That Make Employees Quit by Allwility: 7:48am On Aug 21, 2017
swiz123:
I totally disagree with number 2 Mr op.An employee must not be rewarded with a pat on the back or anything of the kind. An employees reward is his\her salary. So anyone quiting cos of such reason is completely oblivious of the Nigeria's economic situation
There are other rewards apart from wages. Eg recognizing the employees' effort/input, incentives, and honestly taking in their suggestions especially when doing a gemba walk.

2 Likes

Re: 9 Things Bosses Do That Make Employees Quit by Nobody: 7:48am On Aug 21, 2017
ashewoboy:
they make sexual advances to their subordinate. like when an ashewoboss wanna fvck his/her subordinatecheesy.

skarltt is a fvckgirl. she cajoled me.

Lol, its too early for all these talks

1 Like

Re: 9 Things Bosses Do That Make Employees Quit by marooh: 7:55am On Aug 21, 2017
Nigeria employee be like mind your business and follow the order or leave

So in nigeria, please don't contribute, negotiate, complain.

grin
Re: 9 Things Bosses Do That Make Employees Quit by joehis2013: 7:58am On Aug 21, 2017
Op you are absolutely right, this is true for many Nigerian employers
Re: 9 Things Bosses Do That Make Employees Quit by Proudlyngwa(m): 7:58am On Aug 21, 2017
swiz123:

When an employee goes an extra mile in ensuring the impossible is made possible, he deserves a pat.
Some Multinationals reward with shopping vouchers
Re: 9 Things Bosses Do That Make Employees Quit by fykes(m): 8:00am On Aug 21, 2017
@swiz123, if u believe what u wrote up there, u can believe anything or u have never really had a highly demanding job. One, ur salary will never be a true rep of ur output and there's nothing more encouraging than acknowledging that one has done more than he's required by his boss
Re: 9 Things Bosses Do That Make Employees Quit by fykes(m): 8:04am On Aug 21, 2017
Great one OP. Sadly though must managers will rather read d laws of power or the mafia manager than a simple insightful piece on NL. Im sure lots of people can totally relate with bosses who act towards staff like they fell from d sky themselves.

1 Like

Re: 9 Things Bosses Do That Make Employees Quit by DuBLINGreenb(m): 8:04am On Aug 21, 2017
All these useless cringe worthy lists.
What's wrong with just being a good person.

1 Like

Re: 9 Things Bosses Do That Make Employees Quit by swiz123(m): 8:10am On Aug 21, 2017
fykes:
@swiz123, if u believe what u wrote up there, u can believe anything or u have never really had a highly demanding job. One, ur salary will never be a true rep of ur output and there's nothing more encouraging than acknowledging that one has done more than he's required by his boss
and If he doesn't acknowledge your hard work, you quit?
Re: 9 Things Bosses Do That Make Employees Quit by ILOVEPUSY(m): 8:11am On Aug 21, 2017
all what lest there is the abet of boss
Re: 9 Things Bosses Do That Make Employees Quit by ashewoboy(m): 8:27am On Aug 21, 2017
skarlett:

Lol, its too early for all these talks

why did you sly me?cheesy. i have been trying the number like fvck and it keeps telling me switched off. you are sinister. if you continue like this, you will not win that contest. missnande will wincheesy.
Re: 9 Things Bosses Do That Make Employees Quit by LordBaelish: 8:36am On Aug 21, 2017
EntMirror:
Hmm. Am I seeing passion there? If you want to pursue passion, better be your own boss..

Check my signature

you really are a troll.

Your blog is yards late to information selling, choose something else.
Re: 9 Things Bosses Do That Make Employees Quit by AyoSammyTunDe(m): 8:38am On Aug 21, 2017
salary delay. why will i work for a month and i'll now wait for another month to get my salary.
Re: 9 Things Bosses Do That Make Employees Quit by salesforce: 8:50am On Aug 21, 2017
Oh
Re: 9 Things Bosses Do That Make Employees Quit by Chukazu: 8:51am On Aug 21, 2017
... And don't threaten me with sack... I would simply sack myself

1 Like

Re: 9 Things Bosses Do That Make Employees Quit by Nobody: 9:01am On Aug 21, 2017
Great points and very well written. Thanks.
Re: 9 Things Bosses Do That Make Employees Quit by do4luv14(m): 9:01am On Aug 21, 2017
All point list area on point, especially from 1 to 3, which was the reason I call it quit with coca-cola,

they treat their lower employee lik trash, I had to sack myself after hoping against hope that things will change for good, so as to pursue my dream of schooling,

finally, a happy workforce is a dependable one, thanks Op
Re: 9 Things Bosses Do That Make Employees Quit by Nobody: 9:02am On Aug 21, 2017
LordBaelish:

you really are a troll.

Your blog is yards late to information selling, choose something else.

Thank you.. What should I choose? This shows how lame you are. Till millions of years to come, information will still remain the most costly commodity ever. I know how much I have made from that blog, stop hating.

Because I told you to be your own boss, you become emotional all of a sudden. Kontinue cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Can You Cope With A Nice But Anger Issue Boss? / Bank Job Or Current Job? / My Former Employer Is Yet To Remit My 23 Months Pension Fund To My RSA.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.