Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,378 members, 7,822,785 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:49 PM

Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop - Computers (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop (35790 Views)

7 Important Things You Should Consider Before Buying A Laptop / Things To Consider Before Buying Laptop / Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by jakaiso(m): 6:08pm On Nov 26, 2013
Matt.Melty:
pls I'll like to knw hw much a hp laptop with dual core i5 would cost. Anyone with an idea pls??

Used in very good condition-around N60,000 to N75,000.- HP ProBook or Elitebook would be good.
Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by jakaiso(m): 6:14pm On Nov 26, 2013
Anniettie ufia: My laptop battery life is maximum of two hours 2hrs,
does this means it is not ideal,
is the problem peculiar to the set or i can change the battery and have a new life ?

Pls i need sincere answers to help me. .

A brand new sealed laptop only gives about 2 to 3 hours with a 6 cell battery-which is standard with most laptops. If you are ordering your laptop direct from the manufaturer like dell-you can upgrade to 9 cell or 12 cell and get up to 6 or more hours.

If you thus have a used a laptop with 2 hours-that to me is good.
Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by ozoneprince(m): 6:54pm On Nov 26, 2013
Guest101~:
OP, what have you to say about HP elitebook 6930p Intel Duo Core 2?

is ok ,but i recommend HP Pavilion 14-b017cl 14" Sleekbook Laptop / Intel Core i5-3317U, 6GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB Hard Drive, HDMI, Webcam...
or any hp with core i5 ,but is costly though

HP Pavilion 14-b017cl 14" Sleekbook Laptop / Intel Core i5-3317U, 6GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB Hard Drive, HDMI, Webcam...
Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by ozoneprince(m): 6:57pm On Nov 26, 2013
jakaiso:

Used in very good condition-around N60,000 to N75,000.- HP ProBook or Elitebook would be good.

brand new cost 589 dollars ,which is approximately 100,000naira
Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by ozoneprince(m): 7:02pm On Nov 26, 2013
Jayses: Wht should I consider when buying china phone grin
make sure the china phone have a name, and even with a name ,make sure ,is either a full java china phone or android ,i recommend tecno for you or itel
Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by stefikal(f): 7:10pm On Nov 26, 2013
Jayses: Wht should I consider when buying china phone grin

d china fone must hv TV, radio, fan, air conditioner, deep freezer and finally a seatbelt for a cool ride tongue gringringrin
Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by daceo1(m): 7:24pm On Nov 26, 2013
jakaiso:

Do you mean Core 2 Duo? What is the exact model number of the HP? As in HP Pavilion dv4 or HP Probook 4520s?
41k doesnt look bad for a dual core laptop-although you could have gotten more memory for that price.
its hp compaq bro am concerned abt d ba3r life is it worth it??
Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by shariffalabim89: 7:25pm On Nov 26, 2013
lomomike: I recalled when I bought my dell inspiron 1464 with acqua Blue back (blue is my favorite colour) with brushed aluminium wrist area+ keypad back in New Delhi in 2010
Specification was windows 7 home basic 64bit default OS (but upgraded to win 8 ultimate and downgraded to win 7 ultimate 64bit this year)

intel core i3 2.13 GHz @ dual core 4 threads,
14.0 inch WXGA (1366x768) HD glossy widescreen with trubrite technology,
500GB. Sata HDD @ 5400rpm,
4GB ram upgradable to 8GB max.
Bluetooth,
wifi b/g/n,
sata Optical DVD drive,
ethernet,
HDMI,
3 port 2.0 USB ports,
Intel HD graphics processor,
SRS surround speakers (realtek HD sound drivers)
camera (with face recognition software)
Microphone
4 cell Li ion battery which lasts 2hours under intense use but does 2hr 30mins under normal usage

I still use this piece of gadget till today without any regret and it still looks great and performs great although I had planned to upgrade the processor to i7 quad cores, graphics to AMD HD or nvidia HD, HDD to 1TB, and ram to 8GB. But I backed out and still left the PC running stock. Reason why I wanted to upgrade the parts was because I'm into graphics plus I play lots of HD graphics games. But I discovered there was no need because my pc @ default still did those task with little or no lags. I might change the blue back case soon to Mike Ming® arts back casing to refresh the looks.

How much does something similar go for these days?
Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Loveheals(f): 7:27pm On Nov 26, 2013
Pls op I have 90k n I need a very good laptop which will u advise I m a novice wen it comes to laptops
Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by shariffalabim89: 7:27pm On Nov 26, 2013
ozoneprince: Buying a new laptop computer can be both frustrating and expensive. Technology is growing with times, a sign of transformation. Same can be in computer world, previously we used to be happy with PC but now the whole criteria are changed as people are upgrading themselves for using Laptops. Recent years showed advancement in Laptops and the reason behind increased purchasing trends is its portability which makes it easy to use and moving from one place to another without applying efforts. So people prefer the use of Laptops over Personal Computers because of several reasons including upcoming technology, portability, etc. But, often we get baffled when it comes to purchasing new Laptops.
Often, we are deceived by purchasing the system which is not self-reliable to use. So, before buying a new Laptop,
things to consider before buying a new laptop are below :

1. Specifications:
This is the initiative point one should keep in mind before buying a new Laptop. Technical specifications include system’s hardware and software ingredients which is the basic things. One should check out the RAM capacity, Hard Disk, Processor, Video Card, etc which ascertain a Laptop’s reliability or otherwise. If its capacity is low, then you will obviously suffer fluctuations like frequent hanging up of system and so on. So, it’s recommended to go with such master piece which is derived with at least 4 GB RAM, 320 GB Hard Disk, Dual Core i5 processor including one Graphic Card. So, before purchasing any Laptop, put this into consideration.

2. Structure and Durability:
The next priority to keep in mind is Laptop’s structure which includes size, durability, weight and so on. The main purpose for selecting net book is its portability and if the size for same is lumpy, then there’s no catch. So you should see whether the device is handy or not. You should also think of its weight; normally, a system weighing about two kilogrammes is pretty to determine the reliability and portability.
These two factors even determine the durability of system. Users with harsh working tendency always need that device to endure surprising shocks. So, the laptop must have extra tough metal covered, to ensure no internal damages are done to the hard disk, processor, etc. Thus, if you are completely satisfied with the structure of a Laptop, then go for it.

3. Battery Life:
The Battery Life is directly or indirectly the first need of any user. If the device’s battery system is of poor quality, then one will face many inevitable problems. The very first thing to do as a customer is, first ask about the Laptop’s battery life. So one should check and enquire about maximum support the Laptop’s battery will give. Standard need is 10 hours or as per usage.

4. Price and Budget:
Every person has its own budget, and one should buy Laptops bearing same in mind. For instance, if your budget is 25, 000 and you are dreaming of a device which costs 50, 000, this is calling for avoidable debts. So, in such case, you should concentrate on main functions needed for your use. In cheap price you can’t enjoy latest technology but can surely seek out functions which are basic and required one.

5. Other Specifications:
Other things include connectivity, user guide, display resolution, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, USB ports, etc. These are the required specifications which users should keep and things to consider before buying a new laptop ,For new and fairly used or london used laptop if you need we can direct you to a best shop in Abuja,and any place you are ,do not hesitate to drop your comment if any,on our drop box.

: http://.com/things-to-consider-before-buying-a-new-laptop/#sthash.uXnmlUHf.dpuf
Op I've got 90k, what laptop do u think would be d best value for my money?
Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by habayommy: 7:35pm On Nov 26, 2013
habayommy: Is true that hp no longer produces PROBOOK? I wanted to buy hp probook 4530 or any of the probooks.
can I still get a brand new hp probook with a budget of #80,000
Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Nobody: 7:54pm On Nov 26, 2013
shariffalabim89:

How much does something similar go for these days?

I don't know how much is its price now, back then I bought it for about 160,000 naira (convert from indian rupees)
Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by ozoneprince(m): 8:01pm On Nov 26, 2013
Thankgodtt: Datz gud--- ok judging from ur characteristics of a gud laptop, which 1 do u really recommend that possess all the features u mentioned above---- pls-- I wona knw- tankz

i recommended,the below:
Hp PAV Dm4-3055dx 2.40 Ghz 2nd Generation Intel Core I5-2430m 8g, 640gb,14" Bt Widi Wcam W7
Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by delpharm(m): 8:41pm On Nov 26, 2013
I wantu buy Hp 630
hw do u see it?
Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Waspy(m): 8:47pm On Nov 26, 2013
On the general average, wch lappy brand comes top?
Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Rehn(m): 8:51pm On Nov 26, 2013
Pls Nairalanders, am a medical student in unilorin and am in dire need of a laptop but am just too broke to afford one. I just can't help but stare at colleagues helplessly as they make use of soft copies while I don't even have money to get a text book. Pls frnds can anyone help me with a laptop? Even if its really an old laptop, I just need sumtin to connect to the internet with. Your help will be duly appreciated.
Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by jakaiso(m): 9:16pm On Nov 26, 2013
da ceo1: its hp compaq bro am concerned abt d ba3r life is it worth it??

1 hour 41 minutes battery life for a used laptop- is not bad. But since you are using it in Nigeria-where there may be no light for hours-even days-in future you want to get more from your battery.
I know you said HP Compaq -but look at the plastic that goes around the screen of your laptop (the bezel) the exact model number should be there-it should read like hp compaq nc6400 or hp compaq nc6120. That way I maybe able to advise you where you can get a used battery for less than N4000 ( that is if possible).Some used batteries suprisingly hold over 2 hours of life.
Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by BOUNTYDOG(m): 9:54pm On Nov 26, 2013
obadiah777: shyttt i dont consider nothing. i just buy it second hand from cash converters. buying brand new computers is a waste of money. i used to do it. by the time the next month comes the computer is half price because a newer one has come out. nonsense and ingredient cheesy

I have realised overtime that buying used computer laptops or phones especially is money wise pound foolish,this is because the vendors give only little discount from the price of the new one,not like half price as it should be,e g a laptop selling for 80k will be sold as used @ 55 to 60k, meanwhile it doesnt really have a warranty as the new one & after a week of use u realise you need a new battery which can be from 5k to 12 so tell me who is smarter,used or new? And same also applies to phones
Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by xtripple: 10:34pm On Nov 26, 2013
Go to olx you will see laptops you need. Use onitsha as location , I think I have better laptops there for sale, eg hp, dell, toshiba both core2 dual, coi3,coi5, you can e:mail loverscandy@yahoo.com
Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by xtripple: 10:41pm On Nov 26, 2013
ozoneprince:

i recommended,the below:
Hp PAV Dm4-3055dx 2.40 Ghz 2nd Generation Intel Core I5-2430m 8g, 640gb,14" Bt Widi Wcam W7
what determine the best laptop to buy is the processor and the graphics video card. Video card is what makes every laptop superior, Nividia, Ati or redeon.
Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by ozoneprince(m): 11:13pm On Nov 26, 2013
gcfr.com:
Am about buying a dell610 for 22k, is that a good deal?
check the configurations, the hard disk size,the ram, the speed, battery duration
Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by ozoneprince(m): 11:14pm On Nov 26, 2013
Thankgodtt: Datz gud--- ok judging from ur characteristics of a gud laptop, which 1 do u really recommend that possess all the features u mentioned above---- pls-- I wona knw- tankz
hp or dell with either core i5 or 7 is ok
Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by xristronic(m): 11:16pm On Nov 26, 2013
well reviewed. but before buying any laptop first put into consideration what ur using the laptop for.
1.For Pure internet surfers recommend laptop with core 2 processor
2.Programmers and graphics designers start with core i3(so u can consider future upgrade in the next 3 yrs)
3. For gamers hmmmm you guys need enough graphics.
For residents in abuja we have this in stock all fairly used.(those outside abuja can send some1 to check for them)

Hp Elite 2530p c2d 4gb ram 250 HDD ===== 36.k
Dell D6400 4gb ram 250 HDD ============ 35.k
Dell D6500 C2D 4gb ram-2.53GHz 250 HDD ======== 35.k
Dell D630 C2D 4gb ram 250 HDD =========== 28.k
Dell D620 1gb ram 250 HDD========= 28.k
Dell D610 1gb ram 250 HDD ========= 20.k
Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by ozoneprince(m): 11:19pm On Nov 26, 2013
Briel33: pls with less dan 25k, can i b able to get a nice laptop?
yes you can
Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Nobody: 11:52pm On Nov 26, 2013
Please what's the current price of HP Pavilion DM4 laptop?
Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by ozoneprince(m): 12:10am On Nov 27, 2013
Cajetan speaks: Please what's the current price of HP Pavilion DM4 laptop?
120k you will got brand new Hp Dm4 Beats Edition 14", Intel i5, 3.10GHz Turbo, 6GB, 640GB
Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by ozoneprince(m): 12:26am On Nov 27, 2013
shariffalabim89:
Op I've got 90k, what laptop do u think would be d best value for my money?
try this you will love the laptop ,HP (Hewlett-Packard) Pavilion TouchSmart 14-F020US E0K21UA 14" LED Notebook - AMD A-Series A4-5000 1.50 GHz - Sparkling Black Silver (4 GB RAM - 640 GB HDD - Genuine Windows 8 64-bit - 1366 x 768 Display)
Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by shariffalabim89: 1:26am On Nov 27, 2013
ozoneprince:
try this you will love the laptop ,HP (Hewlett-Packard) Pavilion TouchSmart 14-F020US E0K21UA 14" LED Notebook - AMD A-Series A4-5000 1.50 GHz - Sparkling Black Silver (4 GB RAM - 640 GB HDD - Genuine Windows 8 64-bit - 1366 x 768 Display)

Thanks, God bless. I am going to be running programs on it, so I want to ask a few questions. How is its speed? How long does the battery last?
Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by daceo1(m): 5:37am On Nov 27, 2013
jakaiso:

1 hour 41 minutes battery life for a used laptop- is not bad. But since you are using it in Nigeria-where there may be no light for hours-even days-in future you want to get more from your battery.
I know you said HP Compaq -but look at the plastic that goes around the screen of your laptop (the bezel) the exact model number should be there-it should read like hp compaq nc6400 or hp compaq nc6120. That way I maybe able to advise you where you can get a used battery for less than N4000 ( that is if possible).Some used batteries suprisingly hold over 2 hours of life.
hp compaq 6720s dats d model of d laptop
Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Petraman(m): 6:04am On Nov 27, 2013
Atigbo
Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Splendiwealth(m): 8:10am On Nov 27, 2013
Interesting! Thanks
Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by profjid(m): 11:43am On Nov 27, 2013
Can i get price &Configuration list 4ur new laptop n london used in acordance 2ur writeup

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Microsoft Announces Windows 10 And Holographic Computing / The Best ISP In Nigeria? / Am I The Only One Suffering From Smile 4G LTE.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.