Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,467 members, 7,830,358 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:10 PM

Do We Have A Tipping Culture In Nigeria? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do We Have A Tipping Culture In Nigeria? (1773 Views)

Ugezu At Igbo Worldwide Festival Of Art & Culture In USA / Define Nigerian Culture In A Sentence / What's Are The Weirdest Culture In The World? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do We Have A Tipping Culture In Nigeria? by solowork: 8:33am On Nov 28, 2013
I know the US and Canada have a strong tipping culture, where you are expected to give a tip of approximately 15% of your total bill after tax. You may even tip up to 20% in cases where you had exceptional service. In UK, no one expects you to tip because the waiters are well paid. In Malaysia, patrons hardly tip but the waiters wish they would. I never had to eat out in Nigeria so I don't know what it's like back home. I want to know from working-class Nigerians, who spend most of their day at work and therefore have to eat at restaurants, if there's a tipping culture?
Re: Do We Have A Tipping Culture In Nigeria? by dashintrends: 8:41am On Nov 28, 2013
Hmmm! Nigeria has tipping culture ohh... just that, it is been requested for most times "wetin you bring", "Oga no dey"... cheesy
Once your pocket is involved, things get done.
But on a serious note, some have. This is were you can tell who has travelled out of Nigeria.
I see a lot in restaurants, car parks, and shopping malls here in Nigeria.
Re: Do We Have A Tipping Culture In Nigeria? by illicit(m): 2:47pm On Nov 28, 2013
wen u send a child on an errand, its expected of u to tip him, we expect big brodas back den to leave their change with us....... Thats tipping
Re: Do We Have A Tipping Culture In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 2:50pm On Nov 28, 2013
Nigerians ordinarily wouldn't want to tip someone that's doing the job they're been paid to do except the person does an exceptional job and out of the kindness of heart the Nigerian decides to tip the person. But most tips are solicited by workers while others are forced(police etc).

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Which Tribe In The Nigeria Ethnic Groups Can Greet Each Other The Most? / Margipedia / OJORA, A Friendly Family That Hates Cheating – Oba Aromire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.