Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,473 members, 7,819,721 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:40 PM

Wearing Socks With Native Attire. Hit Or Miss? - Fashion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Wearing Socks With Native Attire. Hit Or Miss? (29041 Views)

A Nairalander Wore A Dress Made With Newspapers (hit Or Miss) Pic / Miss Nigeria Ezinne Akudo Dazzles In Traditional Attire (Photos) / Miss University Nigeria Contestants - Traditional Attire (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wearing Socks With Native Attire. Hit Or Miss? by Afrok(m): 8:54pm On Dec 03, 2013
igomen: What about wearing laced shoes with native? Is a Hit or a Miss?
to me it's a miss...
Re: Wearing Socks With Native Attire. Hit Or Miss? by vision2050: 8:57pm On Dec 03, 2013
Miss or target i will continue wearing it. Na me get my socks n shoe

2 Likes

Re: Wearing Socks With Native Attire. Hit Or Miss? by Soundmind(m): 8:57pm On Dec 03, 2013
is a great miss
Re: Wearing Socks With Native Attire. Hit Or Miss? by Nobody: 8:58pm On Dec 03, 2013
This is one of the reasons I don't wear native as much.

I wear sockss but the bottom/pants must be long enough to cover the socks when I sit down.

Having said that, I've seen some guys pull it off.
Re: Wearing Socks With Native Attire. Hit Or Miss? by DexxyAlebs(m): 9:00pm On Dec 03, 2013
wearing socks on native really looks good o, click like if u support.

7 Likes

Re: Wearing Socks With Native Attire. Hit Or Miss? by kevinkod(m): 9:14pm On Dec 03, 2013
I thought its only our aboki brothers dat like it dat way. But seriously, its a BIG miss.

1 Like

Re: Wearing Socks With Native Attire. Hit Or Miss? by Pizzanatty(m): 9:20pm On Dec 03, 2013
My brothers and sisters...this is the whole conclusion of the matter

* Can you wear your traditional aire with a Canvass or wear a suit with a canvass?
* have you seen or can wear(tear) wrapper as a man and wear socks?
* Can you wear a agbada with face cap?...
The list go on and on,but the truth is,ITS A GREAT MISS
For goodness sake you are not a fashion clown,neither are you a masquerade...

The only exception to this is that,with the modern trend of traditional attire coming in form of english wear ,u can wear socks when its the top(traditional attire) alone on a trouser...

IF NOT ,ITS A GREAT MISS!!!
Re: Wearing Socks With Native Attire. Hit Or Miss? by Ninilowo(m): 9:24pm On Dec 03, 2013
Once wearing of singlet, underpant or boxer is not a miss so what are we saying here?
Re: Wearing Socks With Native Attire. Hit Or Miss? by alexvatt(m): 9:35pm On Dec 03, 2013
Ladies and gentlemen, u are not suppose to wear shoe with native let alone sucks. It is total fashion miss. Whenever u wear native then wear palm sandal not shoe
Re: Wearing Socks With Native Attire. Hit Or Miss? by Nobody: 9:54pm On Dec 03, 2013
See me see trouble! NO socks, NO Covered Shoes for me angry angry angry angry angry. Besides, the trousers is always to the ankle....so who stares to see whether you are wearing socks or not? It's a hit with me anyway!...I can't allow my shoes to be stinking due to sweat.

BTW, If you are following the rule of not combining 'western' stuffs with African stuffs, then you are not suppose to be wearing shoe with your natives in the first place tongue
Re: Wearing Socks With Native Attire. Hit Or Miss? by gbeseun(m): 9:54pm On Dec 03, 2013
#teamsocksonanything
Like if you belong

5 Likes

Re: Wearing Socks With Native Attire. Hit Or Miss? by jingoma(m): 10:03pm On Dec 03, 2013
Abi O!......Besides who wrote the law against common sense?
geosegun: In a city like London when its Chilly Cold? its A HIT for me. What are you guys saying. It depends on the locations Abegi, i no fit shout. cheesy cool
Re: Wearing Socks With Native Attire. Hit Or Miss? by Sike(m): 10:08pm On Dec 03, 2013
What is Miss? What is Hit??
Re: Wearing Socks With Native Attire. Hit Or Miss? by lovat(m): 10:14pm On Dec 03, 2013
dudkko: When dressed in native with socks and shoes on and next u see an aboki dressed in jalabia with socks and shoes. How do u feel? Do u feel superior or like him?

Dude the aboki you just mentioned are human beings and even better than you numb skull so STFU and Go GET A LIFE.
Re: Wearing Socks With Native Attire. Hit Or Miss? by abuabdrahman(m): 10:15pm On Dec 03, 2013
Ericomoto:

Why did you say that? any special fashion rule against that? I am eager to be educated.
....lets learn
Re: Wearing Socks With Native Attire. Hit Or Miss? by Nobody: 10:19pm On Dec 03, 2013
Ow can I wear shoes without socks, it looks crazy
Re: Wearing Socks With Native Attire. Hit Or Miss? by SWG1: 10:21pm On Dec 03, 2013
I think traditional attire on bare foot is the hit, since we borrowed the sillipon stuff. Y not talk abt jean and traditional
Re: Wearing Socks With Native Attire. Hit Or Miss? by lastpage: 10:29pm On Dec 03, 2013
Its a COMPLETE MISS!

I do understand that some living "abroad" cant avoid it (socks) and each time l see them, they remind me of some "Ojuju-Calarbar" as my son would say! grin grin
I mean, such dressing looks utterly ridiculous! But if someone does it in Nigeria (with our warm weather!), l can only conclude that such person is insane because even those in the village, even a masquerade (Eegun Ijebu) knows not to don a socks on native wear.

By the way, how did we come about that item called "socks"? Is it not the Oyinbo (Onyebeeke) that brought it down to us?
They, had A NEED FOR IT, that is why they use it, .... to keep their feet warm and it later got accessorized and funky! wink

Anyone with a little sense of fashion (you dont have to be a fashion freak, mind you) knows that some things just dont go together.

For example, l see guys wear checked Shirt and checked/lined/patterned Tie!
If you must wear such checked/lined shirt, please know that it is a "dress sense" that you must put on a PLAIN TIE.

Socks on any native attire is a No-No!
But there is a trick which l use when yaawa wan gazz: If you can get your trousers/bottoms of the native to completely cover and eclipse the socks such that no one knows you are putting on a socks, then game-on! Oyinbo winter no be joke at times o! grin

Really, you need to see how our people look in winter! grin grin

Lastpage!
Re: Wearing Socks With Native Attire. Hit Or Miss? by bitweezy: 10:36pm On Dec 03, 2013
Very good question OP. It is surprising the number of nairalanders who think wearing a socks on traditional outfit is a miss.

Someone stated it clearly that socks exist because of shoes. I can't stand the feeling of leather on my skin.

Well this is what I know. It is considered that a man whose skin is revealed under his trouser is not properly groomed e.g. Like when you sit.

2 Likes

Re: Wearing Socks With Native Attire. Hit Or Miss? by davids202(m): 10:38pm On Dec 03, 2013
pls tell me is the shoe an african man's thing? I guess not so y put. it on a 'native' attire . But I say if u must do it then it must go with a socks . who puts on a cover shoe without socks in this hot part of the world called niaja . ppplllsss don't tell me non sence.
Re: Wearing Socks With Native Attire. Hit Or Miss? by slightlyMad(f): 10:41pm On Dec 03, 2013
A word of advice for those fugly guys who upload their pix at the slightest chance.
use facebook if you need to upload pix pls.
Re: Wearing Socks With Native Attire. Hit Or Miss? by Sohot1(m): 10:46pm On Dec 03, 2013
Not a miss joor

cant wear shoe wtout socks
Re: Wearing Socks With Native Attire. Hit Or Miss? by Hearme(m): 10:54pm On Dec 03, 2013
I don't deceive myself neither do I allow nonsense to becloud my sense of judgment. I wear my socks well without any sense of guilt. One of the reasons we wear socks is to prevent our legs from smelling having worn shoes for a long time. I do tell my wife that the fashion police that will arrest me must be ready to tell my why I should prefer fashion to a healthy foot.
Re: Wearing Socks With Native Attire. Hit Or Miss? by Segadem(m): 10:59pm On Dec 03, 2013
Pizzanatty: My brothers and sisters...this is the whole conclusion of the matter

* Can you wear your traditional aire with a Canvass or wear a suit with a canvass?

The only exception to this is that,with the modern trend of traditional attire coming in form of english wear ,u can wear socks when its the top(traditional attire) alone on a trouser...

You are entitled to your opinion.If you want go for traditional,wear sandal,covered shoes are not traditional.But wait o! you will put on singlet under your native attire for some reason.Is Singlet miss or hit?
So if singlet is hit then socks also must be hit.

1 Like

Re: Wearing Socks With Native Attire. Hit Or Miss? by drnoel: 11:06pm On Dec 03, 2013
whatever, i can´t wesar a shoe with out socks period. Whoever wants to throw him/heself into river niger cos I did so can be my guest. The thing is to balance out things cos I know what one wears must balance out with whats acceptable (cos am not a complete bushman). Anyway, I compensate that by wearing those very small shoe like socks with whatever shoe I wear with the traditional so people don´t notice the socks and i get to wear my socks with a shoe.
Re: Wearing Socks With Native Attire. Hit Or Miss? by Nobody: 11:06pm On Dec 03, 2013
i wear it all the time. i cant afford to sweat in my shoes. i sometimes wear natives (linen) on my tim boots.
Re: Wearing Socks With Native Attire. Hit Or Miss? by OAM4J: 11:06pm On Dec 03, 2013
If you must wear covered shoes then you must wear socks. Socks have nothing to do with your attire but with the shoes you are wearing.

Datz all.

1 Like

Re: Wearing Socks With Native Attire. Hit Or Miss? by Hearme(m): 11:08pm On Dec 03, 2013
Pizzanatty: My brothers and sisters...this is the whole conclusion of the matter

Someone somewhere started those unwritten laws. If a celebrity (Obama, D banj, Denrele, GEJ, Messi, Billgate) begins to were canvass on suit today, virtually all Nigerians will say that's the raining fashion in town.

At a time waste coat was outdated. This days corporate guys now like to wear armless sweaters which is a cover to waste coat. Finally, do men plait hairs in the seventies? Why did men started sagging? Do the Hebrews still wear robe and skirts all about? Do you prefer a smelling foot in your house due to not wearing socks for fashion sake. I think the priority should be if you're comfortable with it and not just for the sake of pleasing others.

2 Likes

Re: Wearing Socks With Native Attire. Hit Or Miss? by Nobody: 11:23pm On Dec 03, 2013
I think it's a hit. But it probably depends on the cut.
Re: Wearing Socks With Native Attire. Hit Or Miss? by shadowdude: 11:34pm On Dec 03, 2013
y u no ask ursef the reason y u dey put on socks.......for fashion? or for protection from fungi?ur to control the body thermal energy.? everything get purpose...we naija dey abuse things wella........... cut! daisies belong to orl am karid inhereth!
Re: Wearing Socks With Native Attire. Hit Or Miss? by shadowdude: 11:40pm On Dec 03, 2013
Hearme:

Someone somewhere started those unwritten laws. If a celebrity (Obama, D banj, Denrele, GEJ, Messi, Billgate) begins to were canvass on suit today, virtually all Nigerians will say that's the raining fashion in town.

At a time waste coat was outdated. This days corporate guys now like to wear armless sweaters which is a cover to waste coat. Finally, do men plait hairs in the seventies? Why did men started sagging? Do the Hebrews still wear robe and skirts all about? Do you prefer a smelling foot in your house due to not wearing socks for fashion sake. I think the priority should be if you're comfortable with it and not just for the sake of pleasing others.

see.. u no go die, if u go die,u go old well, and if u no old u no go die....correct thalk..... imagine Na naija u go see guy all in d name of swaggZ e go wear Sweeeeeeeta thick sweater under scorching sun....mtsheew o wa la ra wa
Re: Wearing Socks With Native Attire. Hit Or Miss? by shadowdude: 11:40pm On Dec 03, 2013
Hearme:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Which Cream Is Best For Dark Skin? / 100% Herbal Cosmetics, Treat All Blemishes And Protect Your Flawless Glamour! / Fashion Lookbook As You Never Seen It Before

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.