Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,855 members, 7,855,528 topics. Date: Monday, 10 June 2024 at 01:08 AM

Power Probe Panel Under Probe Over N100 Million Bribe: Next? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Power Probe Panel Under Probe Over N100 Million Bribe: Next? (819 Views)

Okonjo-iweala Under Probe For €3.6m Vehicles Deal / Dasukigate: Probe Panel Summons 241 Firms Over Arms Scandal – FULL LIST HERE / Arunma Oteh, SEC Boss, Says House Of Reps Members Demanded N44 Million Bribe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Power Probe Panel Under Probe Over N100 Million Bribe: Next? by fyneguy: 10:01am On Jul 24, 2008
I[b]n what could pass as poetic, the House of Representa-tives has decided to probe the power probe panel over allegations that the panel members collected a N100 million bribe from one of the contractors.
The House Committee on Power and Steel, led by Hon. Ndudi Elumelu, had been set up by the lower chamber to probe expenditure in the power sector between 1999 and 2007 “without commensurate results”.
The rumour had been making the rounds that members of the committee collected the bribe in order to write a favourable report on the contractors during their nationwide tour to assess the projects on ground.
Speaking yesterday, Hon. Dimeji Bankole, the House Speaker, said the House Committee on Ethics and Privileges would investigate the allegation.
He said he was not surprised that a news magazine had accused the members of the committee of collecting N100 million bribe.
The Minority Leader, Hon. Mohammed Ali Ndume, had raised a Point of Order to that effect.
Bankole said: “I hinted on this in address at the inaugural ceremony of the committee. I had no doubt that we were going to be attacked, abused and called all sorts of names, do not be surprised that this kind of thing was coming up.
“All the same, this allegation is going to be investigated by the House Committee on Ethics and Privileges. If we are to investigate the public, we must have to go with clean hands.
“I have not said that any member is guilty. But if in the course of our investigations, any member is found guilty, he or she will be dealt with accordingly. What I know is that nothing, I repeat nothing, will stop the report from being laid on the floor of this House.”
Ndume said the accusation that the probe committee collected N100 million bribe somewhere in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, and shared it among themselves, needed to be investigated.
He told the House that as the person who moved the motion for a probe into the huge sums of money spent on the power sector between 1999 and 2007, he found it difficult to keep quiet while such grave allegations were being made against members of the committee.
“I am concerned that newspapers are alleging N100 million bribe against members of the committee. People have been calling me to ascertain the true position of things concerning these allegations. Let us decide here now on what to do to be able to salvage what is remaining of our reputation,” Ndume said.
As controversy continues to trail the panel’s report, Bankole has declared that nothing on earth could stop the laying of the report of its committee that carried out the probe on the floor of the House.
He also yesterday swore in Hon. Charles Chinwendu Odedo, who replaced Hon. Obinna Chidoka, the former member representing Idemili North and South federal Constituency of Anambra State, sacked by the Supreme Court on Friday July 11.
He also administered oath to Hon. Uzoma Agbonta, another PDP member from Abia State who also replaced Hon. Emeka Stanley, the Peoples Progressive Alliance (PPA) member representing Ukwa East/West Federal Constituency of Abia State sacked by the Court of Appeal sitting in Port Harcourt last Monday.
The Speaker also confirmed that President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua had withdrawn a bill seeking the review of Revenue Mobilisation and Fiscal Allocation Commission Act initially sent to the House for consideration.
No reason for the withdrawal was given.
[/b]
Re: Power Probe Panel Under Probe Over N100 Million Bribe: Next? by fyneguy: 10:03am On Jul 24, 2008
grin

Watch out for another probe panel to probe the panel probing the power probe panel

it will be an endless chain

what a country!
Re: Power Probe Panel Under Probe Over N100 Million Bribe: Next? by hassyino: 10:26am On Jul 24, 2008
We're going to show you how to earn an easy $5,000 per month, simply working at home on your computer. It's actually easier than you think. Here are some recommended means www.moneyspinners.tk www.spinmoney.tk
Re: Power Probe Panel Under Probe Over N100 Million Bribe: Next? by 74071688(m): 10:31am On Jul 24, 2008
Nigeria is en-meshed and en-twinned in an endless chain of corruption truly!!

Hopeless country

hassyino:

We're going to show you how to earn an easy $5,000 per month, simply working at home on your computer. It's actually easier than you think. Here are some recommended means www.moneyspinners www.spinmoney

why dont you go and show ur father, u bloody scammer!!
Re: Power Probe Panel Under Probe Over N100 Million Bribe: Next? by Nobody: 11:31am On Jul 24, 2008
fyneguy:

grin

Watch out for another probe panel to probe the panel probing the power probe panel

it will be an endless chain

what a country!

After that Yaradua will set up a seven point agenda probe panel to probe all the probes.
We got no shame.
Re: Power Probe Panel Under Probe Over N100 Million Bribe: Next? by bilymuse: 8:34pm On Jul 24, 2008
cony man die , cony man bury am
Re: Power Probe Panel Under Probe Over N100 Million Bribe: Next? by ayomifull(f): 8:59am On Jul 25, 2008
Do we actually think any of these guys are truthful? Not a single one. I know they will deny it, how i wish i have a bullet proof skin i would have volunteerd to witness against that chairman demanding N50m from someone i know very well who works with one of the companies probed but they will not allow one to live to see d next day. Yeye people only God will judge. I wonder why they are wasting money probing THIEF CATCHING THIEF
Re: Power Probe Panel Under Probe Over N100 Million Bribe: Next? by faoni572(m): 2:22pm On Jul 25, 2008
nobilia:

After that Yaradua will set up a seven point agenda probe panel to probe all the probes.
We got no shame.
Another probe panel will be set up to probe the seven point agenda probe panel that are probing all the probes including probe panel probing the power probe panel. Hehehehehehehehehe, funny country.

(1) (Reply)

Senate Ministerial Screening, The Latest. / Free Bus Rides For Lagosians On Christmas, New Year Eve / How We Can Check Crimes In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.