Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,791 members, 7,824,290 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 07:28 AM

Fela Anikulapo Kuti, President? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fela Anikulapo Kuti, President? (2553 Views)

Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew / Throwback Photo Of Fela Kuti Wearing Pant To Play Table Tennis / United States Congress Recognises Fela Anikulapo Kuti (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fela Anikulapo Kuti, President? by alarinjo(m): 1:52pm On Jun 16, 2006
Fela Anikulapo Kuti was one of the most acerbic critics of the Nigerian government. His songs contain deep "in-your-face" lyrics which not only challenge Africans to go back to their roots, but also preaches Pan-Africanism, as well as challenges the connivance of the West in the underdevelopment of Africa. He was a man of the people, well read and intelligent, and came from a line of pioneer nationalists who played seminal roles in the struggle for Nigeria's independence.

In the 80's Fela believed that he could be the president of Nigeria and formed a party "Movement of the People" in order to achieve this goal. The military government refused to register his party.

1) Do you think Fela could make a good president?

2) If Fela was alive today, what do you think his comments would be on Nigeria's current political situation?
Re: Fela Anikulapo Kuti, President? by bluenubian(f): 7:31pm On Jun 16, 2006
i was a kid, when Fela reigned, but i know he was phenomenal and an inspiration to all, long live the king!!!

Re: Fela Anikulapo Kuti, President? by alarinjo(m): 8:26pm On Jun 16, 2006
Yes o! Long Live Abami! Perhaps it would be a good thing if some of his ideology lived long amongst us undecided
Re: Fela Anikulapo Kuti, President? by jeremaih(m): 12:55pm On Jun 21, 2006
Fela was a great person and hoble person.
Re: Fela Anikulapo Kuti, President? by jeremaih(m): 1:01pm On Jun 21, 2006
No one can tell what Fela could have done about the policitis of now. he is honest, truthful person. i wish he was life to see how this bad politician have corrupt this country.
Re: Fela Anikulapo Kuti, President? by DaHitler(m): 1:09pm On Jun 21, 2006
I could think of a lot of more qualified Yorubas to run Nigeria. As far as I am concerned, musicians tend to be dumber than average. No point taking risk with people of music. What Nigeria needs is someone with a masters in Political science and Economics. The morons (Military men, Business men e.t.c.) have had their chance.
Re: Fela Anikulapo Kuti, President? by alarinjo(m): 1:11pm On Jun 21, 2006
Afeni, errrm, do you know who Fela was, or what he preached? [raises one eyebrow]
Re: Fela Anikulapo Kuti, President? by DaHitler(m): 1:18pm On Jun 21, 2006
I know who he was, and what he preached.

In fact, I even read a lenghty biography on him today morning. Of course, I knew 90 percent of what was said about him before hand, but I found some new information. I still stand by my previous views. Military men are meant to fight wars. Musicians are meant to make music. Political scientist and to a lesser extent, economics are meant to reside in the halls of power.
Re: Fela Anikulapo Kuti, President? by alarinjo(m): 1:32pm On Jun 21, 2006
Pray tell, what do the great presidents of the world have their degrees in? Seriously speaking though, I do not think that ordinarily bagging a degree in political science or economics qualifies a person to walk the corridors of power. There is a difference between book knowledge and practical ingenuity, or if you like, application of theory. Plus, Afeni, I trust that you have too enlightened a mind than to be dismissive about a persons ability just because of their chosen profession. While pretending that you did not make that [shallow] comment about musicians being dumber than average [fyi Fela was more than a musician], let us remember that Ronald Regan was an actor. I personally believe that Fela, while perhaps not the most ideal candidate for president, would have made a much better leader than any of the military idiots we have had so far.

In any case, since Fela could not possibly be president (he is dead, as you know) it would seem that what we should really be talking about are his ideologies and how relevant they are to our progress as a people, nation, continent, etc. Since you just finished a biography on the icon, why dont you kick off the discussion by stating one of his political ideas so that we can evaluate the relevance of such ideas to contemporary Africa.
Re: Fela Anikulapo Kuti, President? by Oracle(m): 8:54pm On Jul 05, 2006
Word alarinjo
Re: Fela Anikulapo Kuti, President? by anton(m): 11:04pm On Jul 05, 2006
Can I vote!?!?!? grin

Really, tho, it is very difficult to say. Fela was Pan Africanist and he would have sought allies and forged relationships thru out the Black World, but who can say that he woul have been politically asute enough to deal with the colonial powers? Would he even have allowed the oil to be developed by foreign corporations? undecided

An interesting question, but a great many outstanding things would have had had to happen for his party to even be registered and who knows what kind of fantastic things would have happened form there, undecided

One can only say that it was not ment to be because he was in contact with the Orishas but, but, but he did not attain what we are speaking of now, so it really comes down to us from my analysis. And not just for Nigeria, but Global Afrika.

What is important, i feel, is that we keep Fela's wisdom close to our hearts, but also listen veryclosely to what people like Afeni have said. Practical ingenuity is good, but you have to know what are the fundamental forces and methodologies that shape and mold modern societies are: political science, economics, sociology, and engineering, to name some of the principles.

It may be best that we push ourselves with diligent study, rememberance of who we are, and a constant ear to the streets in order to be the leaders that Fela would want us to be. Infiltrate the institutions, don't let them infiltrate you. sad

Center of the World, AFRIKA!!!
Re: Fela Anikulapo Kuti, President? by Odeku(m): 1:31pm On Jul 06, 2006
Baba 70 Fela was a good man and an inspirational figure to many people all over Africa. I knew and went to shrine routinly but he was a musician and not a leader, Fela could not rule Nigerian there are lots of hidden responsibilities that is bestowed on a leader.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Versus Cnn / Unbelievable!our Officials Are Too Corrupt To Have Immunity, Says Yar'adua! / Nigeria Assumes Presidency Of Un Security Council

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.