Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,751 members, 7,813,472 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:42 PM

Ladies & Gentlemen, Can You Marry Someone 8-12 Yrs older/younger Than You? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Ladies & Gentlemen, Can You Marry Someone 8-12 Yrs older/younger Than You? (3166 Views)

Would You Advice Your Daughter/son To Marry Someone Like You? / Women And Regret: When There Marry Someone Thinking He Is Rich(photo) / Will You Marry Someone Who has been Trained To Kill? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ladies & Gentlemen, Can You Marry Someone 8-12 Yrs older/younger Than You? by jmoore(m): 10:38am On Dec 02, 2013
Men, can you marry a lady 8-12 years younger than you?

Ladies, can you get married to a man 8-12 years older than you?

John Travolta (February 18, 1954 ) married to Kelly Preston (October 13, 1962)

Bill Gates (October 28, 1955) married Melinda Gates(August 15, 1964,)

Pierce Brendan Brosnan(May 16, 1953) married Keely Shaye Smith (September 25, 1963)

John F. Kennedy(May 29, 1917) married Jacqueline Bouvier(July 28, 1929)

Jay-Z (December 4, 1969) married Beyonce Knowles (September 4, 1981) they met when she was 18 and started dating when she was 19.

I wouldn't mind getting married to a lady 8 years younger than me smiley
Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Can You Marry Someone 8-12 Yrs older/younger Than You? by GSKing: 11:20am On Dec 02, 2013
Oh! One more...

Ellen DeGeneres (January 26, 1958) married to Portia De Rossi (January 31, 1973)

I wouldn't mind getting married to a woman 15 years older than me cool

1 Like

Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Can You Marry Someone 8-12 Yrs older/younger Than You? by jmoore(m): 11:26am On Dec 02, 2013
GSKing:
I wouldn't mind getting married to a woman 15 older than me cool

Your Parents will not attend the wedding. grin grin
Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Can You Marry Someone 8-12 Yrs older/younger Than You? by ifyalways(f): 11:28am On Dec 02, 2013
I wouldn't oh!

I prefer us do all the silly things young couple do, play pranks on ourselves then grow old together.

1 Like

Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Can You Marry Someone 8-12 Yrs older/younger Than You? by jmoore(m): 11:30am On Dec 02, 2013
@Ifyalways, you can still play pranks with a much older man. It depends on the individual.
Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Can You Marry Someone 8-12 Yrs older/younger Than You? by GSKing: 11:46am On Dec 02, 2013
jmoore:

Your Parents will not attend the wedding. grin grin

Who cares? They aren't the ones getting married!smiley

1 Like

Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Can You Marry Someone 8-12 Yrs older/younger Than You? by Nobody: 11:47am On Dec 02, 2013
I can as long as the ladies name is Osas Ighodaro no problem.
Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Can You Marry Someone 8-12 Yrs older/younger Than You? by GSKing: 11:50am On Dec 02, 2013
FOOL FINDER: I can as long as the ladies name is Osas Ighodaro no problem.

Never give up on your dreams, sleep is good. Keep sleeping!!!

#love the owner of that signature.
Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Can You Marry Someone 8-12 Yrs older/younger Than You? by Nobody: 12:13pm On Dec 02, 2013
Sure...
Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Can You Marry Someone 8-12 Yrs older/younger Than You? by Mrsmansson(f): 12:51pm On Dec 02, 2013
ifyalways: I wouldn't oh!

I prefer us do all the silly things young couple do, play pranks on ourselves then grow old together.
Ify if your husband is 8 years older than you so you guys wont grow old together?or play pranks?
It all depends on the individual
Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Can You Marry Someone 8-12 Yrs older/younger Than You? by Cathydera(f): 1:08pm On Dec 02, 2013
why not. i am still young.
Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Can You Marry Someone 8-12 Yrs older/younger Than You? by jumzzy448: 1:41pm On Dec 02, 2013
Why not? Age is just a number.
Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Can You Marry Someone 8-12 Yrs older/younger Than You? by TV01(m): 1:44pm On Dec 02, 2013
jmoore: Men, can you marry a lady 8-12 years younger than you?

There is a well-known (although I'm not at al sure as to how well used) rule of thumb; Gents should marry someone half their age + 7 years.

Illustration added;

30 22
31 22.5
32 23
33 23.5
34 24
35 24.5
36 25
37 25.5
38 26
39 26.5
40 27
41 27.5
42 28
43 28.5
44 29
45 29.5
46 30
47 30.5
48 31
49 31.5
50 32

It's probably based on a number of things, not least fertility, men needing to be somewhat established etc. In principle I get and agree with it, although I wouldn't stick to a set formula.

Given the greater physical travails women go through and my own love of health and fitness, I always figured I'd marry someone at least 10 years younger - even when I didn't really like the idea of marriage. Compounded by the fact that typically exercise was not a key part of most Naija girls lifestyles. They typically start wel, get married, then expand, have kids, then explode. I personally didn't want that.

Naija girls are better now and of course there are always exceptions.

Disclaimer; I take double digits in age from my wife 0! No dullin' cool!

TV

1 Like

Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Can You Marry Someone 8-12 Yrs older/younger Than You? by Nobody: 1:54pm On Dec 02, 2013
No, younger..... Yes, Older...
Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Can You Marry Someone 8-12 Yrs older/younger Than You? by Nobody: 1:55pm On Dec 02, 2013
TV, don't just go yabin women.
At least there r reasons for women exploding though it can be controlled but
What about u guys?
Some of u guys carry belle wey big pass 9months pregy belle.
What reasons hv u guys for exploding
Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Can You Marry Someone 8-12 Yrs older/younger Than You? by TV01(m): 2:04pm On Dec 02, 2013
yellowpawpaw: TV, don't just go yabin women.
At least there r reasons for women exploding though it can be controlled but
What about u guys?
Some of u guys carry belle wey big pass 9months pregy belle.
What reasons hv u guys for exploding

Yabin women ke? Where?

And you are absolutely right, some men fit take belle explore neigbouring country - without leaving home! But you can't deny the facts and I was only speaking for myself! Some men/women like it that way - big - I am not prescribing a remedy for everyone.

Wifey loves my six pack and often embarrasses me by having a quick feel at the most inappropriate times. I dey suffer eh! What am I, a piece of meat?

TV
Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Can You Marry Someone 8-12 Yrs older/younger Than You? by chayooh(f): 12:47pm On Dec 03, 2013
My husband is 12 years older than I am. I wasn't comfortable with it initially But he enjoys having a younger babe by his side. Now he has two babies to take care of - our daughter and myself. I still look slim. Sometimes, there r things i could joke with a younger person that he would feel bad about cos of d age difference but since i understood that, weve had things better. People think I'm his younger sister (Last born) but the Best part is he feels lucky and I feel great! The disadvantage is some of his friends and my bosses hit on me codedly and openly! if You're a guy that can't stand another man ogling ur wife regardless of How decent She looks, no try am oh!

2 Likes

Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Can You Marry Someone 8-12 Yrs older/younger Than You? by Nobody: 3:00pm On Dec 03, 2013
I did rather stick with my generation cool
Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Can You Marry Someone 8-12 Yrs older/younger Than You? by fidatt(f): 5:10pm On Dec 03, 2013
Yes. once there is mutual understanding, age is just a number.
Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Can You Marry Someone 8-12 Yrs older/younger Than You? by bukatyne(f): 5:30pm On Dec 03, 2013
byvan: I did rather stick with my generation cool

Lol! Did you marry a young man?

Just curious; don't answer if you do not want to

Ok, lucky you!

Most young brides marry far older men
Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Can You Marry Someone 8-12 Yrs older/younger Than You? by Nobody: 5:54pm On Dec 03, 2013
@ Bukatyne, Yes but older than me though,5yrs difference.
Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Can You Marry Someone 8-12 Yrs older/younger Than You? by jmoore(m): 5:59pm On Dec 03, 2013
Former Super Eagles star, Kanu Nwankwo(August 1, 1976) and his wife Amarachi (1987) got married in December 2004

Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Can You Marry Someone 8-12 Yrs older/younger Than You? by Nobody: 7:28pm On Dec 03, 2013
Why not tongue
Provided my account is always loaded in millions and he is ready to die soon tongue tongue
kiss kiss.

Afterall politicians, entertainers and even traders r into it.
Gals r not smilling! wink wink
Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Can You Marry Someone 8-12 Yrs older/younger Than You? by greatgod2012(f): 9:23pm On Dec 03, 2013
Thank God im already married, since my childhood, i have decided, and i stood by my decision.

1. I cant marry any man who is one hour younger than me.
And
2. I cant marry any man who is more than 3 years older than me.

I took the two decisions seriously. There was a guy who could kill in order to win me over, i didn't even allow him to do the "toasting" before i told him off not to bother, all because he was 6 years older than me, on this issue, he fell so sick and almost lost his life begging me, but because of my decision, i only sypathised with him, never gave him chance to even be closer to me unnecessarily.
My own sha o. Thank God i've not and i will not have any cause to regret my marriage.
As per submission, any woman that will not submit to her hubby will not, even if he's 20 years older than her and the one that will submit will do even if she's 8 years older than him.

1 Like

Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Can You Marry Someone 8-12 Yrs older/younger Than You? by mimicue(f): 12:17am On Dec 04, 2013
ifyalways: I wouldn't oh!

Like grandma and grandpa grin grin
Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Can You Marry Someone 8-12 Yrs older/younger Than You? by k2039: 9:43am On Dec 04, 2013
greatgod2012: Thank God im already married, since my childhood, i have decided, and i stood by my decision.

And

I took the two decisions seriously. There was a guy who could kill in order to win me over, i didn't even allow him to do the "toasting" before i told him off not to bother, all because he was 6 years older than me, on this issue, he fell so sick and almost lost his life begging me, but because of my decision, i only sypathised with him, never gave him chance to even be closer to me unnecessarily.
My own sha o. Thank God i've not and i will not have any cause to regret my marriage.
As per submission, any woman that will not submit to her hubby will not, even if he's 20 years older than her and the one that will submit will do even if she's 8 years older than him.
Aunty, you wicked o.
Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Can You Marry Someone 8-12 Yrs older/younger Than You? by natasha: 2:40pm On Dec 04, 2013
My hubby is 11 years older than i am. been married 9 yrs + now. i was in my teens when we started dating whilst he was in his 20's
Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Can You Marry Someone 8-12 Yrs older/younger Than You? by Nobody: 10:39pm On Dec 04, 2013
TBH, I would prefer someone closer to my age. No more than 5 years older than me.
Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Can You Marry Someone 8-12 Yrs older/younger Than You? by vivianbelema(f): 12:52am On Dec 05, 2013
Yes na. Sharp sharp sef, if the love dey oo
Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Can You Marry Someone 8-12 Yrs older/younger Than You? by Agrika: 7:27am On Dec 05, 2013
Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Can You Marry Someone 8-12 Yrs older/younger Than You? by Atawewe27: 10:47am On Dec 05, 2013
greatgod2012: Thank God im already married, since my childhood, i have decided, and i stood by my decision.

And

you know what you wanted, and you went for it. I like that.
Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Can You Marry Someone 8-12 Yrs older/younger Than You? by bukatyne(f): 11:22am On Dec 05, 2013
byvan: @ Bukatyne, Yes but older than me though,5yrs difference.

Lucky you!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help! How Do You Remove A Succubus (spirit Wife) From Your Body / Where Is The Father Of The Very Chrisland Wayward Girl / How Do You Give Your Wife Pocket Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.