Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,030 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:55 PM

Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU (9506 Views)

Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals Winner: OAU / LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY / OAU--ABU ZARIA: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by cimetidine: 2:14pm On Dec 07, 2013
pseudonomer:

If we choose to neglect those areas, and will allow them to continue in their folly ways, do you think very soon, we are going to regret that decision? In one of Asa's song title "Fire on the mountain" there's a line that says" ....One day, the river will over flow, and we'll run, run, wishing we had quenched the fire" I believe beheading someone that has headache is not the solution to the pain, in the real sense, it worsen it. Those poor souls(the "Boko-Harams"wink needs education, and the corp members posted there are doing a great job to increase the level of literacy there. What I will suggest is adequate security.
You mean the Boko boys that clearly detest Western Education needs Education? Or don't you know their main reason for their violence is what you just mentioned? And can you give me an instance where a corp member walked up to a boko haram member(as if we can identify them) to educate him and what is the result sir? Will adequate security ease the fear and tension already created in people? Will adequate security ease the transport fares when corp members are paid meagre sums? Brother, admit the fact that corp members should be posted to their home zones, and I will appreciate and respect you.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by pseudonomer: 2:16pm On Dec 07, 2013
Oluwatola5: Are you insinuating that sacrifices of lives would be required for a better Nigeria? Lets be realists and not idealists, what offence could be greater than wasting of lives? The fact that something is good doesnt make it good at every point in time. Things especially those involving a large number of people should be done in accordance with how best they suit the people it encompasses. In a situation whereby some zones have been noted for continious disdain against people from other zones, i think simple logics to prevent further havoc from being done should be an immediate one. NYSC posting scheme should be readjusted to their geo-political zones before other issues and ''benefits'' are even mentioned. Nigeria should look first into the issue of poor security that is seriously threatening the very fabric of our country. Methinks it is facetious and inappropriate in a time like this for us to say that the scheme shouldnt be readjusted simply because of its ''benefits''. Before we even mention any ''benefit'' whatsoever, we should look at the risk of lives that is at hand and face it first, not puttting the cart before the wheel. Nigeria's government and the NYSC management should first ensure that all parameters have been put in place to check the excesses of some geo-political zones BUT pending the time, no more life should be wasted, the posting should be limited to their political zones.

It is not the benefit, it is the primary purpose why the scheme is created. The states affected is not up to 8 states, the few states affected can be excluded if needs to. But posting corp members to their geo-political zone is absurd with the primary purpose of the programme.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by cimetidine: 2:18pm On Dec 07, 2013
@pseudonomer, Mandela just died sir and others you pointed out did not die the death of martyrs. They were jailed rather, there is a fine linen between Jails and death. After Mandela was jailed, he became South African's president. Can our slaughtered youths mount any challenge?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by Miscellaneous(m): 2:20pm On Dec 07, 2013
funaab please oau need replies .....
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by Oluwatola5(f): 2:20pm On Dec 07, 2013
pseudonomer:

It is not the benefit, it is the primary purpose why the scheme is created. The states affected is not up to 8 states, the few states affected can be excluded if needs to. But posting corp members to their geo-political zone is absurd with the primary purpose of the programme.
And if we neglect 8 states now, does it not amount to those states being isolated? And if you agree with it that some areas should be isolated, isnt NYSC losing its ''primary purpose''? Also it isnt far from you agreeing to it that NYSC's posting should be limited to their geo-political zones.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by cimetidine: 2:22pm On Dec 07, 2013
Damex, I must point out that you failed to categorically spell out your stance at the end of your essay.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by Oluwatola5(f): 2:29pm On Dec 07, 2013
Pseudonomer: For examples, most corp members posted to the educational less developed states (EDLS) engaged in academics (teaching), which tend to improve the standard of education there, and increase the level of literacy.
Dont you think all these benefits are feasible ONLY if those communities are willing and ready to accept the NYSC members to impact in their lives. There is an adage that says ''you can force horse to a stream, but you can't force it to drink water''. Do you think those geo-political zones can be cowed to learn? Of course not! Learning and being accepted are two ball games entirely that shouldnt be mixed up for one another.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by pseudonomer: 2:31pm On Dec 07, 2013
cimetidine: You mean the Boko boys that clearly detest Western Education needs Education? Or don't you know their main reason for their violence is what you just mentioned? And can you give me an instance where a corp member walked up to a boko haram member(as if we can identify them) to educate him and what is the result sir? Will adequate security ease the fear and tension already created in people? Will adequate security ease the transport fares when corp members are paid meagre sums? Brother, admit the fact that corp members should be posted to their home zones, and I will appreciate and respect you.

Good things are infectious, same goes with bad things. What I meant is that, "For examples, most corp members posted to the educational less developed states (EDLS) engaged in academics (teaching), which tend to improve the standard of education there, and increase the level of literacy."
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by pseudonomer: 2:33pm On Dec 07, 2013
cimetidine: @pseudonomer, Mandela just died sir and others you pointed out did not die the death of martyrs. They were jailed rather, there is a fine linen between Jails and death. After Mandela was jailed, he became South African's president. Can our slaughtered youths mount any challenge?

A lot of great men and women (Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King Jnr, and so on) lost their lives; some were jailed in a fight against race, tribe and gender discrimination.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by cimetidine: 2:34pm On Dec 07, 2013
pseudonomer:

Good things are infectious, same goes with bad things. What I meant is that, "For examples, most corp members posted to the educational less developed states (EDLS) engaged in academics (teaching), which tend to improve the standard of education there, and increase the level of literacy."
Sir, they have teachers, and why can't you make it willingly and not compulsory. Why forcing our young Daniels to preach in lions' den?

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by Miscellaneous(m): 2:35pm On Dec 07, 2013
continue with the puncturing of rguments
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by Oluwatola5(f): 2:35pm On Dec 07, 2013
Pseudonomer: If we remember, the NYSC scheme was created in a bid to reconstruct, reconcile and rebuild the country after the Nigerian Civil war.
And i hope you are aware that the civil war ended a long time ago..

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by pseudonomer: 2:35pm On Dec 07, 2013
Oluwatola5: Dont you think all these benefits are feasible ONLY if those communities are willing and ready to accept the NYSC members to impact in their lives. There is an adage that says ''you can force horse to a stream, but you can't force it to drink water''. Do you think those geo-political zones can be cowed to learn? Of course not! Learning and being accepted are two ball games entirely that shouldnt be mixed up for one another.

Are you trying to say the fight for one Nigeria doesn't worth it?

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by cimetidine: 2:38pm On Dec 07, 2013
pseudonomer:

A lot of great men and women (Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King Jnr, and so on) lost their lives; some were jailed in a fight against race, tribe and gender discrimination.
I insist that Mandela didn't lose his life because of anything, he died a natural death. Yay, he was jailed, but if our young corp members are jailed, we call that patriotsm, but alas, they are being slaughtered.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by cimetidine: 2:44pm On Dec 07, 2013
pseudonomer:

it worths it, but we fight it with wrong ammunition. Pity the young corp members, dude

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by Oluwatola5(f): 2:49pm On Dec 07, 2013
Damex33: United as a
country especially in times
of trouble rather than be
divided between
East and West or North and
South
I just have some questions to ask concerning this your post, dont you think the sole purpose of a government is lost if the protection of lives isnt ensured? Do you think the families of the late 10 corps members who were slain to death would want to hear this? Slaughtered by illiterates for being Southerners isnt just a problem but a call for an adjustment of the scheme.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by Miscellaneous(m): 2:50pm On Dec 07, 2013
Judges can now ask questions
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by pseudonomer: 2:51pm On Dec 07, 2013
Oluwatola5: And i hope you are aware that the civil war ended a long time ago..

Come on, with the rate of tribalism on our nairaland here? The NYSC scheme was created after the civil war in order not to have another civil war again.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by Omolola1(f): 2:56pm On Dec 07, 2013
oluwatola5: The National Youth Service Corps programme established in the year 1973 under the 1973 decree states that ''every Nigerian below the age of 30 years that has completed his first degree programme is liable to be called upon to serve in the service corps''. It was formulated during the administration of General Yakubu Gowon. The scheme was intended to foster national unity after the civil war that polarised the country. It was also aimed at destroying the fears that existed among people of Nigeria then who feared to go, live or work in other parts of the country other than theirs.

Truth be told, the sole purpose of the NYSC scheme has been bastardized over the years as some geo-political zones have been too hostile, insensitive and lack security to ensure the safety and guarantee the protection of lives of the Corps members serving in other zones.

Irrespective of the security situation in some parts of the country, the aim of solidifying unity amongst Nigerians is paramount and corp members should see this as a challenge 2 instill in their own little way for things to change this mindset and help others know that the insecurity is a national issue not geological.

oluwatola5: The call for the scheme to be reviewed reached a crescendo with the gruesome killing of 10 Corps members following the post-election violence in Bauchi in April 2011. Then some disgruntled youth of the state meted out their annoyance about a Southerner, President Goodluck Jonathan, winning the election on the poor souls. This incident blacklisted the North and the following year, mass redeployment was recorded as many Corps members refused to go to the North as they couldnt stop thinking some unforeseen ills could befall them. Worthy of mention is the fact that Adekunle Ajasin University Akungba Akoko in Ondo state objected to their students being posted to the North because of one of its graduate, Mr Kehinde Jehleel Adeniji who was among the 10 who were slaughtered in Bauchi in 2011.

Why do you think because of the loss of life that the aim of the scheme should be cancelled, afterall people die everyday. And if I can remember clearly the time of these deaths of those corps members was @ the time of election, and corp members were part of the electoral officers and dat was why they were targets. Before now, the reports of corps members bein attacked in the north were rare, so don't u fink dis is more of a political tin dan an ethnic thing?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by Oluwatola5(f): 2:56pm On Dec 07, 2013
Damex333: You will all agree with me that even
with the trouble caused by
the group we must still hold
National Unity.
And you feel that holding on to the NYSC scheme is part of holding on to our ''National unity''? Besides dont you see holding on to this as an abuse of the Human Right the right to life?

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by DesChyko1(m): 3:00pm On Dec 07, 2013
@Cimetidine: Your argument is observed. However, you insisted that the NYSC is not achieving its aim. Aside from the 'probable' safety of their lives, what other purpose will limiting the Corpers to their Geo Pol Zone serve?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by Oluwatola5(f): 3:00pm On Dec 07, 2013
Omolola1:

Irrespective of the security situation in some parts of the country, the aim of solidifying unity amongst Nigerians is paramount and corp members should see this as a challenge 2 instill in their own little way for things to change this mindset and help others know that the insecurity is a national issue not geological.

Why do you think because of the loss of life that the aim of the scheme should be cancelled, afterall people die everyday. And if I can remember clearly the time of these deaths of those corps members was @ the time of election, and corp members were part of the electoral officers and dat was why they were targets. Before now, the reports of corps members bein attacked in the north were rare, so don't u fink dis is more of a political tin dan an ethnic thing?
To start with, i never said the scheme should be cancelled, if you read my concluding paragraph, i said it should be ''reviewed'' if the programme should be sustained, and i never said it was political, rather, methinks it is more of an ethnic crisis.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by DesChyko1(m): 3:01pm On Dec 07, 2013
@Pseudonomer: The intending Corpers have no say in where they will serve as the NYSC authorities do that. Talking about sacrifices, wouldn't you agree that the NYSC scheme is in truth, an outright violation of their right to live, by sacrificing Corpers against their will?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by Oluwatola5(f): 3:04pm On Dec 07, 2013
pseudonomer:

No, i am not, rather i am saying that the fight for Nigeria should have an objective purpose and not just dying because some zones dont accept you because of where you come from.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by Omolola1(f): 3:05pm On Dec 07, 2013
pseudonomer: "Corp" members are posted to cities far from their city of origin. They are expected to mix with people of other tribes, social and family backgrounds, to learn the culture of the local people in the place they are posted to. This action is aimed to bring about unity in the country and to help youths appreciate other ethnic groups. But if they are posted to their geo-political zone, then they main objective of the NYSC scheme will be lost.

So because you want graduates to mingle and blend with others you subject them to life threatening situations?
Most of the places they are being posted are places they can't even communicate, so how do you want them to cope talk more of impacting knowledge. Knowing fully well not evrryone is gifted at learning languages fast.
Learning of culture is paramount, but must it be at the expense of one's life?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by cimetidine: 3:06pm On Dec 07, 2013
♥Dεs•Chγκσ♥:
@Cimetidine: Your argument is observed. However, you insisted that the NYSC is not achieving its aim. Aside from the 'probable' safety of their lives, what other purpose will limiting the Corpers to their Geo Pol Zone serve?
I mean the aim is to unite ethnic groups as argued by my opponents, however incessant cases of riot still lingers despite the geo-political zone posting.
Also sir, the cost of travelling is so far too much to afford talkless of travel risks. Thanks sir.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by Oluwatola5(f): 3:08pm On Dec 07, 2013
Omolola1:

Then also, the Youth Corps members can only instill or make a change in an environment that is ready to accept them, failure for them to be accepted it tantamount to them being treated with disdain. Adding this, killing in the North hasnt stopped, although the 10 who lost their lives in 2011 died from the hand of some youths. But stil, the Boko Haram is still very much active and could be a major threat to the lives of not only to those living there, but also the Southern NYSC youths who came to make a change in their communities.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by Miscellaneous(m): 3:10pm On Dec 07, 2013
Debaters stop replying your opponents. Now is time for you to convince the judges
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by Oluwatola5(f): 3:10pm On Dec 07, 2013
pseudonomer:

Come on, with the rate of tribalism on our nairaland here? The NYSC scheme was created after the civil war in order not to have another civil war again.

Yh, i know that, BUT a close look at it, you will see loathing and embitterness engulping many against zones where they lost a tribe member or a family member. This indirectly is encouraging another crisis. So why then hesitate to try limiting the posting to their geo-political zones?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by Omolola1(f): 3:11pm On Dec 07, 2013
Oluwatola5: To start with, i never said the scheme should be cancelled, if you read my concluding paragraph, i said it should be ''reviewed'' if the programme should be sustained, and i never said it was political, rather, methinks it is more of an ethnic crisis.

Thanks for pointing that out.

This question goes to oluwatola and cimetidine.

The killing of corp members was paramount and went haywire during the time of the elections/crisis. Ever since then, has there been any report of corp members been killed AFTER the crisis of the elections? If yes, kindly provide the reference

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by pseudonomer: 3:13pm On Dec 07, 2013
♥Dεs•Chγκσ♥:
@Pseudonomer: The intending Corpers have no say in where they will serve as the NYSC authorities do that. Talking about sacrifices, wouldn't you agree that the NYSC scheme is in truth, an outright violation of their right to live, by sacrificing Corpers against their will?

That's the essence of serving the country, when you serve your country there are some risk involved, that is why it is called self-less service. But I know the federal government is trying her best to secure the lives of the corp members.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by DesChyko1(m): 3:13pm On Dec 07, 2013
cimetidine: I mean the aim is to unite ethnic groups as argued by my opponents, however incessant cases of riot still lingers despite the geo-political zone posting.
Also sir, the cost of travelling is so far too much to afford talkless of travel risks. Thanks sir.

Good. Let's believe then that the 'benefits' of the NYSC is not worth the 'risk'. Right?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

OMG! Where These Students Were Caught Studying Will Shock You (photos) / Unilag Vs Lasu - Which Sch Is D Best B/w D Two Sch In Terms Of Student Standard / BUK Expels 22 Students For Examination Mal-practice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.