Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,926 members, 7,817,715 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:47 PM

Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU (9509 Views)

Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals Winner: OAU / LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY / OAU--ABU ZARIA: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by cimetidine: 3:18pm On Dec 07, 2013
Omolola1:

Thanks for pointing that out.

This question goes to oluwatola and cimetidine.

The killing of corp members was paramount and went haywire during the time of the elections/crisis. Ever since then, has there been any report of corp members been killed AFTER the crisis of the elections? If yes, kindly provide the reference
Madam, not that corp members only are targeted, but they are under the risk of falling victim. However, I may not be able to provide an accurate reference, but it is common knowledge that corp members are redeploying from violent states. Oluwatola gave an example of AAUA where a corp member was killed and AAUA vexed up because he was their product.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by DesChyko1(m): 3:18pm On Dec 07, 2013
pseudonomer:

That's the essence of serving the country, when you serve your country there are some risk involved, that is why it is called self-less service. But I know the federal government is trying her best to secure the lives of the corp members.

Noted. Please, help us with a corroborative instance of what the Federal Government has done to panacea this bane.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by Omolola1(f): 3:18pm On Dec 07, 2013
pseudonomer: Posting Corp members to other geo-political zone aside from theirs can also bring about a rapid development to the country. For examples, most corp members posted to the educational less developed states (EDLS) engaged in academics (teaching), which tend to improve the standard of education there, and increase the level of literacy. The medical members are involved in health related services, which tends to improve the healthcare of the people of the state.

My opponents may want to argue that some corp members are usually slaughtered by the terrorist group called “Boko-Haram” when posted to some areas in the north of Nigeria. I want to say every scheme and programmes have its challenges and to build a great nation, to have one Nigeria, we all have sacrifices to make, and this is one of the sacrifices we are to make if we really want a One Nigeria. A lot of great men and women (Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King Jnr, and so on) lost their lives; some were jailed in a fight against race, tribe and gender discrimination. In fact, if the Federal Government can post the corp members (with adequate security) to the EDLS which includes the “Boko-Haram” territory, it will serve as one of the solution to curb the problem of the “Boko-Haram” terrorism in Nigeria. Let me explain this, I believe illiteracy and ignorance is the key behind the success of the “Boko-Haram” terrorist group. The “Boko-Haram” territory state are lacking qualified and adequate teachers to train their kids in the secondary which brings about the high rate of illiteracy there, so if this corp members are deployed there (with adequate security), they can re-orientate the youths, and let them know the value of education, and also raise the education standard there.

Indigenes serving in their home state will be better teachers than strangers that can't even communicate with the student naturally. So do we sacrifice the loss of life for the sole reason of learning new cultures? Mandela and others you mentioned fought for a general cause and was not built on sentiments. And you feel the bokoharam whose slogan is being against western education will spare any life of a corp member aiming 2 bring their desire down? This reasons as far as I'm concered is irrelevant.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by cimetidine: 3:21pm On Dec 07, 2013
♥Dεs•Chγκσ♥:

Good. Let's believe then that the 'benefits' of the NYSC is not worth the 'risk'. Right?
No sir, but the benefit of the 'geo-political zone posting'
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by Omolola1(f): 3:24pm On Dec 07, 2013
cimetidine: Madam, not that corp members only are targeted, but they are under the risk of falling victim. However, I may not be able to provide an accurate reference, but it is common knowledge that corp members are redeploying from violent states. Oluwatola gave an example of AAUA where a corp member was killed and AAUA vexed up because he was their product.

Sir,
The AAUA example she gave was still during the electoral crisis. You've still not answered my question.
I need a Yes or No.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by DesChyko1(m): 3:26pm On Dec 07, 2013
cimetidine: No sir, but the benefit of the 'geo-political zone posting'

Thank You
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by DesChyko1(m): 3:27pm On Dec 07, 2013
@Oluwatola: Your argument centred on the loss of lives and insecurity in the 'Nothern Region' which accounts for only 3 of 6 Geo Pol. Zones in Nigeria. Are you still pushing for the limitation of the posting since at Present, the other three have witnessed no such ethnic-related killings? If so, why?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by Miscellaneous(m): 3:28pm On Dec 07, 2013
Audience can now ask questions... if any
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by Omolola1(f): 3:29pm On Dec 07, 2013
Oluwatola5: Adding this, killing in the North hasnt stopped, although the 10 who lost their lives in 2011 died from the hand of some youths. But stil, the Boko Haram is still very much active and could be a major threat to the lives of not only to those living there, but also the Southern NYSC youths who came to make a change in their communities.

Could? Not sure if they are major threats?
Because if they are really major threats after the killing of the 'famous' ten, we should have heard lots of reports about deaths of corp members since then.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by Davo93(m): 3:30pm On Dec 07, 2013
Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

I must commend the write-ups of the four debaters. They are wonderful especially that of Oluwatola5, quite persuassive!

My question goes to the first speaker of FUNAAB, Pseudonomer. You clearly told us that the killings of Corp members by the banned Islamic sect. in the North is part of sacrifice to the nation's unity.

My opponents may want to argue that some corp members are usually slaughtered by the terrorist° group called “Boko-Haram” when posted to some areas in the north of Nigeria. I want to say every scheme and programmes have its challenges and to build a great nation, to have one Nigeria, we all have sacrifices to make, and this is one of the sacrifices we are to make if we really want a One Nigeria.

Don't you think the lapses in the programme that could be corrected is the reason for those killings and not sacrifice as you paint it to be? and going by what Oluwatola suggested, don't you think a review of the programme will bring solace to this?

Also you referenced Madiba in your arguement. Don't you think it is better to die fighting for something that brings unity than being sent on a suicide mission to an unknown land? Remember, those Corp members didn't choose to go there themselves.

Thanks!

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by laryom1(m): 3:30pm On Dec 07, 2013
@ OAU's...Hmmm... Talking about a southerner or a westerner shudnt serve in the north is kinda confusing.. Saying a northerner should serve in d north a southerner shud serve in d south, cuz of insufficient security in d region. Does dat means a hausa corps member shud face all d dangers in d north? Or his own life isn't worth saving by askin dem to serve there?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by pseudonomer: 3:32pm On Dec 07, 2013
Omolola1:

Indigenes serving in their home state will be better teachers than strangers that can't even communicate with the student naturally. So do we sacrifice the loss of life for the sole reason of learning new cultures? Mandela and others you mentioned fought for a general cause and was not built on sentiments. And you feel the bokoharam whose slogan is being against western education will spare any life of a corp member aiming 2 bring their desire down? This reasons as far as I'm concered is irrelevant.

I have friends and family that once served in the north, I can say what education there is like. The teachers is nothing to write about, if the corp members can give them standard education and improve their standards, I personally believe "Boko-Haram" will have a rethink about their loathe towards western education. If Yoruba is to serve at Yorubaland, Igbo to serve at Igboland, I will say NYSC should be scraped because the primary purpose has been lost.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by laryom1(m): 3:32pm On Dec 07, 2013
@OAU..You pple were emphasising on the 'NORTH' only, is it only the north that insecurity isn't adequate? What about a yoruba corps member that has her hand chopped off in Bayelsa? So security of the corps members isn't needed in the 'South'?

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by Miscellaneous(m): 3:32pm On Dec 07, 2013
Debaters we demand an answer to these questions
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by cimetidine: 3:34pm On Dec 07, 2013
Omolola1:

Sir,
The AAUA example she gave was still during the electoral crisis. You've still not answered my question.
I need a Yes or No.
Murder is the attempt or threat and not the act itself. There were cases of threat and attempts even after the election. I believe that is enough to scare young corp members. It is a bomb itself.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by laryom1(m): 3:35pm On Dec 07, 2013
@OAU.....You made mention that NYSC was established with d motive of unification of tribes.. Now, you are saying corps members shud serve in his or her respective geo-political zone.. Do you think letting them do so will still promote dat unity in d country? If yes, how?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by laryom1(m): 3:37pm On Dec 07, 2013
@cimetidine...You said NYSC was planned 6 decades ago which is equivalent to 60 years.. You then mentioned 1 year later is 1966.. 1966 to d present time is 47years.. Nt up to 5 decades.. How cum d 6 decades you mentioned?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by Oluwatola5(f): 3:38pm On Dec 07, 2013
♥Dεs•Chγκσ♥:
@Oluwatola: Your argument centred on the loss of lives and insecurity in the 'Nothern Region' which accounts for only 3 of 6 Geo Pol. Zones in Nigeria. Are you still pushing for the limitation of the posting since at Present, the other three have witnessed no such ethnic-related killings? If so, why?
Yh, i agree with you that just 3 zones are insecure, but in as much as i see some zones as living next to hell for people from other zones, i believe that the decision to make Nigeria void of wasted-brains, it shouldnt just be in form of some divide-and-rule policy, rather it should be held in form of taking a decision for the whole country as a whole. If we just decide to side-track some zones, we only would be shooting Nigeria in the foot, because that wouldnt speak well of the country. Rather, saying that the posting should be limited pending the time the country can profer some solutions to the issue of insecurity battling with thhe country, is more of a diplomatic stance, and this could pave way for an easy solution to that problem. At least during that duration, the trust of many for some zones that has been battered could be repaired as time heals all wounds.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by laryom1(m): 3:38pm On Dec 07, 2013
@cimetidine..... You said the 'cart should come before the horse'.. Plz expantiate on that cuz all I knew is a horse cumin b4 d cart..
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by xkid2000(m): 3:38pm On Dec 07, 2013
laryom1: @OAU.....You made mention that NYSC was established with d motive of unification of tribes.. Now, you are saying corps members shud serve in his or her respective geo-political zone.. Do you think letting them do so will still promote dat unity in d country? If yes, how?
OAU is the school,the debaters have names..direct your questions to them and not ''OAU's''.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by cimetidine: 3:39pm On Dec 07, 2013
laryom1: @ OAU's...Hmmm... Talking about a southerner or a westerner shudnt serve in the north is kinda confusing.. Saying a northerner should serve in d north a southerner shud serve in d south, cuz of insufficient security in d region. Does dat means a hausa corps member shud face all d dangers in d north? Or his own life isn't worth saving by askin dem to serve there?
At least, it is their zone. They have been living there even since when they were in the university. That's not a problem for them, they know how they have been dealing with it.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by Miscellaneous(m): 3:41pm On Dec 07, 2013
Debaters it seems the audience aren't convinced
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by laryom1(m): 3:41pm On Dec 07, 2013
x-kid2000:
OAU is the school,the debaters have names..direct your questions to them and not ''OAU's''.
they are representin d skul.. Any of dem shud ansa... Ds 1 is nt specific. As u cn see, I specified some to a certain person.. Thanks 4 d observation..
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by Oluwatola5(f): 3:41pm On Dec 07, 2013
Omolola1:

Could? Not sure if they are major threats?
Because if they are really major threats after the killing of the 'famous' ten, we should have heard lots of reports about deaths of corp members since then.
That is because most people ordered for redeployment, if you checked the analysis of the 2012's posting very well, you would see that even the corps had a major problem as there was mass redeployment.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by Omolola1(f): 3:42pm On Dec 07, 2013
cimetidine: Murder is the attempt or threat and not the act itself. There were cases of threat and attempts even after the election. I believe that is enough to scare young corp members. It is a bomb itself.

It's a simple question that requires a Yes or a No. Since you are not able to provide me with a direct answer, I have the answer to my question already smiley
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by pseudonomer: 3:42pm On Dec 07, 2013
Davo93: Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

I must commend the write-ups of the four debaters. They are wonderful especially that of Oluwatola5, quite persuassive!

My question goes to the first speaker of FUNAAB, Pseudonomer. You clearly told us that the killings of Corp members by the banned Islamic sect. in the North is part of sacrifice to the nation's unity.

Don't you think the lapses in the programme that could be corrected is the reason for those killings and not sacrifice as you paint it to be? and going by what Oluwatola suggested, don't you think a review of the programme will bring solace to this?

Also you referenced Madiba in your arguement. Don't you think it is better to die fighting for something that brings unity than being sent on a suicide mission to an unknown land? Remember, those Corp members didn't choose to go there themselves.

Thanks!

Thank you, I will say again, the states affected are few, the few states can be reinforced with security men guiding the few corp members that choose to serve there. You can still re-deploy if you want to, so no one is being sent on a suicide mission, and I think the Federal Government has stop deploying the corpers to the affected states recently. But making North serving in North and South to serve in South, I don't see any the need for the NYSC programme again.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by laryom1(m): 3:42pm On Dec 07, 2013
cimetidine: At least, it is their zone. They have been living there even since when they were in the university. That's not a problem for them, they know how they have been dealing with it.
You now saying they should take care of demselves?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by Miscellaneous(m): 3:43pm On Dec 07, 2013
x-kid2000:

they are reps of oau i.e representatives of oau. so it's right to refer to them as oau..... if that would make the picture clearer
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by cimetidine: 3:44pm On Dec 07, 2013
laryom1: @OAU.....You made mention that NYSC was established with d motive of unification of tribes.. Now, you are saying corps members shud serve in his or her respective geo-political zone.. Do you think letting them do so will still promote dat unity in d country? If yes, how?
there was nothing like social networks then. Also, tentatively and because of the nation's state, since it won't hamper peace nd unity, the feature of posting shld be put on hold.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by laryom1(m): 3:44pm On Dec 07, 2013
Miscellaneous:

they are reps of oau i.e representatives of oau. so it's right to refer to them as oau..... if that would make the picture clearer
Abi oo.. Thanks jare
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by Oluwatola5(f): 3:47pm On Dec 07, 2013
laryom1: @ OAU's...Hmmm... Talking about a southerner or a westerner shudnt serve in the north is kinda confusing.. Saying a northerner should serve in d north a southerner shud serve in d south, cuz of insufficient security in d region. Does dat means a hausa corps member shud face all d dangers in d north? Or his own life isn't worth saving by askin dem to serve there?
Northerners dont do harm to their fellow kinsmen, i once heard from someone who served in the North as a teacher, she said she had a pupil who she taught most times for free because of her fondness for him, but a day cam when she asked him that if trouble should start in your community, what will you do to me? Will you protect me from their hands? The answer she got was totally unbelievable, the boy said if anything happens now, i will yakana(or so)i.e kill you first for my people. That marked the beginning of her living in temerity in the North.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::winner: OAU by laryom1(m): 3:47pm On Dec 07, 2013
cimetidine: there was nothing like social networks then. Also, tentatively and because of the nation's state, since it won't hamper peace nd unity, the feature of posting shld be put on hold.
Somhw gud.. Bt let me tell u somtn, even social network has increasd racial abuse, tribalism, religious diversity and nepotism

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

OMG! Where These Students Were Caught Studying Will Shock You (photos) / Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. / BUK Expels 22 Students For Examination Mal-practice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.