Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:04 AM

Mistakes People Make In Starting An Online Business In Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Mistakes People Make In Starting An Online Business In Nigeria (7504 Views)

Are You Interested In Starting An Internet Business? Read This And Be Enriched! / Starting An Electronic Payments Company / Starting An Advertising Agency In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mistakes People Make In Starting An Online Business In Nigeria by dannish247(m): 10:07pm On Dec 03, 2013
You are reading this post because you want to either launch your online business or turbo-charge your already existing online business, which ever be the case, you are in the right post.

But like every other business, there is a right way to do online business and this also means that there’s also a wrong way.

My objective in writing this post is to point you in the right way in your quest to launching or re-launching your online business in Nigeria.

This is the first part of a two-part series; you can read up the second part of this post on my Blog after you have read this post.

I’m going to go through the most common mistakes people make while starting their online business (it’s possible you are already making some of them already); and I’ll proffer a solution to each of these mistakes.

Are you ready? Ok, let’s go.

1. Waiting Too Long To Launch A Product/Service

This is by far one of the most common mistakes that people make; they think they need to have run their blog for some time before introducing a product/service; if you rented a shop, do you say, I have to wait till I have paid some more rent on this shop for a couple of months or years before I stock the shop? If your answer is No, then why do you think you need to wait for some time before selling product or offering your service on your blog?

Listen, the moment your blog/website is live, you should start monetizing immediately; once you are adding value on your blog by creating valuable contents, people will buy from you.

2. Solving An Unimportant Problem

Another mistake people make is solving a problem that people don’t really care about.

I hear newbie online marketers say ‘I have been selling/offering my services on my blog/website, but nobody is buying’; and they tend to conclude that internet marketing does not work or does not work for all business or that you need to have been in it for a long time before it can yield results.

But imagine if you had the cure for HIV; will HIV patients not seek you out?

Your task is to find out the problem that is a top priority for your audience and provide a solution to it. What you need is to look for more important problems to solve, not a bigger audience.

3. Not Really Listening To Customers

How do you then find out what problem is top priority for your audience/customers? It’s by listening to them.

One principle of Relationship Marketing is to listen to your customers and provide what they want not what you think is best for them; what they want is what they’ll pay for and that’s what will give them the utmost satisfaction. So listen to them-they are Kings.

4. Not Being Different

One temptation is to look around to see how other businesses are offering their products/services and doing the same thing; but you’ve got to be different, always play to your strength and let your customers know the difference between you and competition.

Seek what has not been done or a better way(s) to do what has been done.

5. Choosing A Topic You Don’t Care About

I wrote extensively about this in this post http://danewah.com/7-ways-to-consistently-drive-quality-traffic-to-your-blog-posts/ I might have to beg you here, don’t ever go into an online business you are not passionate about; the reason is that you will not succeed if you are not passionate about that particular niche/market that you have chosen.

For you to succeed in online business, you need to be blogging consistently; for example, you need passion to be able to consistently churn out quality posts without compromising on the value and quality of your blog posts.

Action Point: What have you learnt from this post? What mistake were you on the verge of making or already making? Let me know about it in the comment area, I’ll respond

5 Likes

Re: Mistakes People Make In Starting An Online Business In Nigeria by princeonx: 1:23pm On Dec 05, 2013
I assume this is for those living in Nigeria right? Cux folks from the West/ern world won't risk buying anything online from Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Mistakes People Make In Starting An Online Business In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:24pm On Dec 05, 2013
.second to comment!!!!!!!!! Dancing Azonto
Re: Mistakes People Make In Starting An Online Business In Nigeria by ahfo(m): 1:27pm On Dec 05, 2013
Too straight and normal.
Re: Mistakes People Make In Starting An Online Business In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:28pm On Dec 05, 2013
What's this new "boards" about
Re: Mistakes People Make In Starting An Online Business In Nigeria by FOLLOWCOME1(m): 1:28pm On Dec 05, 2013
9ce 1
Re: Mistakes People Make In Starting An Online Business In Nigeria by diarra94(m): 1:29pm On Dec 05, 2013
nice one.
Re: Mistakes People Make In Starting An Online Business In Nigeria by thirdeye(m): 1:31pm On Dec 05, 2013
Very good post, for you that don't understand is better to keep quiet and learn. I have been sent millions of naira to build houses for people abroad without any refferal but my blog.
Re: Mistakes People Make In Starting An Online Business In Nigeria by CocoLoca(f): 1:32pm On Dec 05, 2013
very true, very relevant, very valid. nice one op!
Re: Mistakes People Make In Starting An Online Business In Nigeria by yomalex(m): 1:34pm On Dec 05, 2013
following
Re: Mistakes People Make In Starting An Online Business In Nigeria by familysms: 1:38pm On Dec 05, 2013
Gudgud

Re: Mistakes People Make In Starting An Online Business In Nigeria by Fazhy: 1:39pm On Dec 05, 2013
Nice write up.

Re: Mistakes People Make In Starting An Online Business In Nigeria by Ikegift4real(m): 1:40pm On Dec 05, 2013
how does this change the price of garri in the market
Re: Mistakes People Make In Starting An Online Business In Nigeria by Linzoh(m): 1:47pm On Dec 05, 2013
this is lovely post, been enlightened by this post. tanks
Re: Mistakes People Make In Starting An Online Business In Nigeria by stevolinkon40: 1:50pm On Dec 05, 2013
grin

1 Like

Re: Mistakes People Make In Starting An Online Business In Nigeria by olorunthobby(f): 1:51pm On Dec 05, 2013
Thanks
Re: Mistakes People Make In Starting An Online Business In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:54pm On Dec 05, 2013
whats with this Board i'm seeing on my profile
Re: Mistakes People Make In Starting An Online Business In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:06pm On Dec 05, 2013
Iceberyln: .second to comment!!!!!!!!! Danceing Azonto

@ your age you cannot spell dancing? undecided your teacher should be jailed angry

1 Like

Re: Mistakes People Make In Starting An Online Business In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:10pm On Dec 05, 2013
Nice One bro, but the problem now is how do we FIND what people really Want? PLUS Who are the people who need It? EXPLAIN BETTER

JAH BLESS...
Re: Mistakes People Make In Starting An Online Business In Nigeria by OawkWebWorks: 2:27pm On Dec 05, 2013
dannish247: You are reading this post because you want to either launch your online business or turbo-charge your already existing online business, which ever be the case, you are in the right post.

2. Solving An Unimportant Problem

Another mistake people make is solving a problem that people don’t really care about.

I hear newbie online marketers say ‘I have been selling/offering my services on my blog/website, but nobody is buying’; and they tend to conclude that internet marketing does not work or does not work for all business or that you need to have been in it for a long time before it can yield results.

But imagine if you had the cure for HIV; will HIV patients not seek you out?

Your task is to find out the problem that is a top priority for your audience and provide a solution to it. What you need is to look for more important problems to solve, not a bigger audience.

4. Not Being Different

One temptation is to look around to see how other businesses are offering their products/services and doing the same thing; but you’ve got to be different, always play to your strength and let your customers know the difference between you and competition.

Seek what has not been done or a better way(s) to do what has been done.

@OP. If only people will listen to those points!

If I get #100 for every time someone approached me to build a Facebook or Nairaland clone, I will be a VERY rich man today.

The world needs something new and you as an investor or entrepreneur need to think about something different that touches lives in new ways.

1 Like

Re: Mistakes People Make In Starting An Online Business In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:29pm On Dec 05, 2013
wise_many2k:

@ your age you cannot spell dancing? undecided your teacher should be jailed angry
no 1 is above mistake
Re: Mistakes People Make In Starting An Online Business In Nigeria by mrofficial(m): 2:31pm On Dec 05, 2013
R2bees: whats with this Board i'm seeing on my profile

What board?
Re: Mistakes People Make In Starting An Online Business In Nigeria by stechi(m): 2:31pm On Dec 05, 2013
@ dannish247: well said,but do you think affiliate marketing pays in Nigeria?
Re: Mistakes People Make In Starting An Online Business In Nigeria by princemolak(m): 2:44pm On Dec 05, 2013
Nice Post
Re: Mistakes People Make In Starting An Online Business In Nigeria by OmolodMilkman93(m): 2:55pm On Dec 05, 2013
Noted
Re: Mistakes People Make In Starting An Online Business In Nigeria by purplekayc(m): 3:01pm On Dec 05, 2013
Iceberyln: .second to comment!!!!!!!!! Dancing Azonto
so? undecided undecided
Re: Mistakes People Make In Starting An Online Business In Nigeria by turl(m): 3:04pm On Dec 05, 2013
Very interesting topic.
Cant stress the point about passion enough. If you don't enjoy it, you'll fall flat on your face. The passion has to be palpable to provoke interest in the ever growing competitive space.
Re: Mistakes People Make In Starting An Online Business In Nigeria by jerrymania(m): 3:53pm On Dec 05, 2013
Iceberyln: .second to comment!!!!!!!!! Dancing Azonto
and you are still not rich
Re: Mistakes People Make In Starting An Online Business In Nigeria by Bank450(m): 4:45pm On Dec 05, 2013
.I will agree with you on some points, you are correct. Other problems are with the buyers/customers, most Nigerian's don't tend to believe the reality of internet marketing. They think its impossible, and fake. Causing them not to buy from the internet. Its very difficult to get customers to buy from you online.
Re: Mistakes People Make In Starting An Online Business In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:44pm On Dec 05, 2013
Sorry but this piece of write up lacks substance, I wonder how it made front page.
Re: Mistakes People Make In Starting An Online Business In Nigeria by grandstar(m): 8:19pm On Dec 05, 2013
Do you make up to $1,000 monthly from your online biz

1 Like

Re: Mistakes People Make In Starting An Online Business In Nigeria by INFOTECH2: 8:58pm On Dec 05, 2013
thirdeye: Very good post, for you that don't understand is better to keep quiet and learn. I have been sent millions of naira to build houses for people abroad without any refferal but my blog.

Your blog please?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Midas shipping & freight, My Experience, Story And Lost of item with them / Modern and simple 4 Bedrooms Duplex Architectural Design / How To Successfully Negotiate Lower Prices In Any Situation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.