Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,170 members, 7,815,082 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:01 AM

This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! (18640 Views)

Pls Nairalanders Help Me Now?? I Dont Understand This Airtel 3gb / Please Kindly Help With This Airtel Operamini Bundles / See This Airtel 1+1 Data Plan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by texazzpete(m): 8:10am On Dec 05, 2013
Guys, we get it. You're upset that the exploit you've used to use BIS data on your cheap Android phones is being closed by Airtel. You're upset that now, you'll have to start paying for your data bundles like the rest of the populace. Yes, data plans are not cheap.

But please, can you people STFU for once and stop this incessant whining?

The problem is not with Airtel. The problem is that the data plans we have from our carriers are rather expensive, especially on the low end. Instead of making this all about Airtel, take on ALL the carriers and take your complaints to the NCC.

FACT: Airtel Data plans are not more expensive than plans from Etisalat or MTN. Saying you'll break your Airtel line over this is just plain childish. If MTN gives you better service, why not port over with no fuss?

FACT: Complaining here on Nairaland will not change anything. If you really feel aggrieved at this situation, why not tweet at NCC Nigeria (@NgComCommission), for example, to complain about high cost of data plans.

I have zero stake in Airtel. In fact, I ported my Airtel line to Etisalat some months ago thanks to poor internet data speeds in my region. I voted with my Naira. Do the same with minimal fuss if you feel aggrieved.

38 Likes

Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by Dabss(m): 8:24am On Dec 05, 2013
texazzpete: Guys, we get it. You're upset that the exploit you've used to use BIS data on your cheap Android phones is being closed by Airtel. You're upset that now, you'll have to start paying for your data bundles like the rest of the populace. Yes, data plans are not cheap.

just because you have a little change in your pocket, gives you no right to insult those who complain in the only way they can.
If you don't like a topic, simply ignore it.

46 Likes

Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by Okijajuju1(m): 8:35am On Dec 05, 2013
texazzpete: Guys, we get it. You're upset that the exploit you've used to use BIS data on your cheap Android phones is being closed by Airtel. You're upset that now, you'll have to start paying for your data bundles like the rest of the populace. Yes, data plans are not cheap.

The problem is not with Airtel. The problem is that the data plans we have from our carriers are rather expensive, especially on the low end. Instead of making this all about Airtel, take on ALL the carriers and take your complaints to the NCC.

FACT: Airtel Data plans are not more expensive than plans from Etisalat or MTN. Saying you'll break your Airtel line over this is just plain childish. If MTN gives you better service, why not port over with no fuss?

FACT: Complaining here on Nairaland will not change anything. If you really feel aggrieved at this situation, why not tweet at NCC Nigeria (@NgComCommission), for example, to complain about high cost of data plans.

I have zero stake in Airtel. In fact, I ported my Airtel line to Etisalat some months ago thanks to poor internet data speeds in my region. I voted with my Naira. Do the same with minimal fuss if you feel aggrieved.

How much wey you go like buy data plan...

Oya price make I hear..
Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by Nobody: 8:42am On Dec 05, 2013
@OP the data rates are too expensive and not pocket friendly for most users.

2 Likes

Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by Ossaifamous(m): 8:52am On Dec 05, 2013
I am not ranting ... What I know is that once my data bundle finishes n I can not browse again ... Na to port remain ... At least 1000 for like 500/600 mb is OK
D etisalat network is faster ... So wen cost is d same na to migrate abi na port e go b
Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by kilo234(m): 8:54am On Dec 05, 2013
the op is so on point. but i blame airtel to have let us known b4 blocking it, they should have just blocked it without letting us know as mtn has been doing ever since

4 Likes

Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by texazzpete(m): 9:37am On Dec 05, 2013
Okija_juju:

How much wey you go like buy data plan...

Oya price make I hear..

Airtel does N2000 per month for 500MB, for example. Since low cost Android smartphones are sweeping the market now, and these are data intensive, I'd suggest doubling this to N2000 for 750MB. It's currently N1000 for 200MB, perhaps an upgrade to 350MB?

Nigerian data plans aren't the most expensive in the world, but we DO have a significant population that aren't too well off.

Either way, this isn't an issue for me since I always go for the large data caps (Etisalat 8GB for N8k, shared between my phone and my iPad).

2 Likes

Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by texazzpete(m): 9:45am On Dec 05, 2013
Da_b¤§§.:
just because you have a little change in your pocket, gives you no right to insult those who complain in the only way they can.

Thank you for mirroring my very words. If you don't like Airtel's service (including their data plans) move away from the network. It took me less than 2 hours to port from Airtel to Etisalat.

This has nothing to do with me 'having change in my pocket'. Airtel BIS was never intended for use in Android phones. People were taking advantage of an exploit that has now been closed. This backlash IS unwarranted.

That said, my OP addresses the main reason why the exploit was so vigorously pursued in the first place. People wanted cheaper Internet for their Android devices. The real conversation here is the provision of more affordable data bundles to the people who aren't exactly high income earners. That discussion is best held at the level of the NCC, or with all the carriers taken on at once (Glo, MTN , Etisalat, Airtel).

Targeting Airtel alone is unfair, unreasonable and useless.

Do you people know that if everyone here contributes a minimum of N1000, we can take out a half page ad in Guardian Newspapers to write an open letter to the NCC and all the carriers? But please, don't let me stop you from making one more thread about breaking your Airtel SIM cards cheesy

19 Likes

Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by HeWhoMusntBeNamed(m): 10:48am On Dec 05, 2013

*yawns*

3 Likes

Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by texazzpete(m): 10:59am On Dec 05, 2013
HeWhoMusntBeNamed:

*yawns*

Thank you for your delightful contribution. So insightful, so good that you made it twice.

/s

2 Likes

Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by Dabss(m): 12:04pm On Dec 05, 2013
texazzpete:

Thank you for mirroring my very words. If you don't like Airtel's service (including their data plans) move away from the network. It took me less than 2 hours to port from Airtel to Etisalat.

This has nothing to do with me 'having change in my pocket'. Airtel BIS was never intended for use in Android phones. People were taking advantage of an exploit that has now been closed. This backlash IS unwarranted.

That said, my OP addresses the main reason why the exploit was so vigorously pursued in the first place. People wanted cheaper Internet for their Android devices. The real conversation here is the provision of more affordable data bundles to the people who aren't exactly high income earners. That discussion is best held at the level of the NCC, or with all the carriers taken on at once (Glo, MTN , Etisalat, Airtel).

Targeting Airtel alone is unfair, unreasonable and useless.

Do you people know that if everyone here contributes a minimum of N1000, we can take out a half page ad in Guardian Newspapers to write an open letter to the NCC and all the carriers? But please, don't let me stop you from making one more thread about breaking your Airtel SIM cards cheesy
I never posted in any of the Airtel threads but I still think it's non of your business since u don't own nairaland or Airtel.

Ps. Airtel Bb plans still work on android. So maybe their insignificant noise was heard after all wink

10 Likes

Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by texazzpete(m): 12:11pm On Dec 05, 2013
Da_b¤§§.:
I never posted in any of the Airtel threads but I still think it's non of your business since u don't own nairaland or Airtel.

Ps. Airtel Bb plans still work on android. So maybe their insignificant noise was heard after all wink

Opinions, how do they work?

My opinion is that this is misguided. It IS my business because this is a discussion forum and I choose to opine and discuss on this issue.

The exploit works now, but for how long? For all you know, it's a slow migration/rollout that will take time, and the December 3rd date may just have been the commencement date. We don't know.

4 Likes

Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by Dabss(m): 12:28pm On Dec 05, 2013
texazzpete:

Opinions, how do they work?

My opinion is that this is misguided. It IS my business because this is a discussion forum and I choose to opine and discuss on this issue.

The exploit works now, but for how long? For all you know, it's a slow migration/rollout that will take time, and the December 3rd date may just have been the commencement date. We don't know.
if they decide to block non Bb access fine!
Fact: more than half of their current subscribers don't use their sim cards for calls so I don't see that happening but Let's watch and see.

3 Likes

Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by Bawss1(m): 1:19pm On Dec 05, 2013
Da_b¤§§.:

Trust the insecure to feel butt hurt.

1 Like

Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by Leopantro: 2:29pm On Dec 05, 2013
isn't airtel a business oriented institution and the aim of any business is to make money while providing services to end client?
Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by texazzpete(m): 2:54pm On Dec 05, 2013
Da_b¤§§.:

Fact: more than half of their current subscribers don't use their sim cards for calls so I don't see that happening but Let's watch and see.

Care to provide a source for this 'fact'? Or did you just pull that out of your rear end?

3 Likes

Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by LoveDecay(m): 3:22pm On Dec 05, 2013
texazzpete:

Care to provide a source for this 'fact'? Or did you just pull that out of your rear end?

Texas Pete... Comot there ! Etisalat dey work for android now... On BBM subscription.

So no worry yaself... When Airtel sellout.. I will revive this thread.

Airtel dead and buried!

1 Like

Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by ow11(m): 3:36pm On Dec 05, 2013
Why are Nigerians so fixated on using cheats, work arounds and ill-fitting things. From oversized jerseys to patching cars, tyres, clothes etc. Even when a complaint can be made to get proper data plans that is cheap and affordable, People would rather whine about a work around that is no longer available.

Complain to NCC like people did and voice costs fell from N50/min to the nearest second to around up to N12/min depending on actual time spent on the call. Ask for a reduction in data cost like the OP is asserting!

8 Likes

Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by Shaakasi(f): 4:01pm On Dec 05, 2013
ow11: Why are Nigerians so fixated on using cheats, work arounds and ill-fitting things. From oversized jerseys to patching cars, tyres, clothes etc. Even when a complaint can be made to get proper data plans that is cheap and affordable, People would rather whine about a work around that is no longer available.

Complain to NCC like people did and voice costs fell from N50/min to the nearest second to around up to N12/min depending on actual time spent on the call. Ask for a reduction in data cost like the OP is asserting!

well said
Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by Dondave11: 4:06pm On Dec 05, 2013
Gosh.. Can't believe pple stl use bucks to surf..

1 Like

Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by ignis: 4:07pm On Dec 05, 2013
Da_b¤§§.:

Thanks.
Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by Nobody: 4:10pm On Dec 05, 2013
trash talk. Op if yu like, insult us, bang your head against the wall, call us all sorts of names, yu can't stop our protest to whoever we deem is the cause of our problems.
So, kindly align your face forward and shut up.

2 Likes

Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by vizboy(m): 4:11pm On Dec 05, 2013
sorry nothing to say.

As I only use Etisalat and Mtn
Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by 9jahubcom(m): 4:12pm On Dec 05, 2013
hmm
Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by Nobody: 4:14pm On Dec 05, 2013
''our society is a very corrupt one, and to survive, one must be xtra corrupt''. well, una wey still dey buy data bundle from our criminal ISP get money to waste sha, i'm currently flexin MTN FBT with ease. Posting with it right now #PC.things.
i forbid to buy monthly unlimited data access for anytin more than 1k. tufiakwa!
so until then, na breaking and entry sure pass! (knowledge is power).
i for like to share d loophole, but MTN over sabi agents full here. so make everybody maintain him lane!

3 Likes

Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by einsteino(m): 4:16pm On Dec 05, 2013
Airtel offers. Unlimited data in kenya and the cost isn't up to 4k per month. Why can't they provide at least 1gb for 1k in 9ja?
Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by platorepublic(m): 4:18pm On Dec 05, 2013
You are a mistake to this generation I wonder what your parents is doing to earn a living
Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by Nobody: 4:18pm On Dec 05, 2013
undecided
Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by lampardizik(m): 4:19pm On Dec 05, 2013
God bless you op!...if u no lyk airtel again f.u .c.k out!!!
Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by Nobody: 4:20pm On Dec 05, 2013
ow11: Why are Nigerians so fixated on using cheats, work arounds and ill-fitting things. From oversized jerseys to patching cars, tyres, clothes etc. Even when a complaint can be made to get proper data plans that is cheap and affordable, People would rather whine about a work around that is no longer available.

2 Likes

Re: This Airtel Backlash Is Misguided! by richP: 4:21pm On Dec 05, 2013
some fool called using bis on android a cheat, care to explain?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lost But Found Iphone 6 In Enugu / Infinix Hot 2 (x510) Supports Usb Otg / Why Are New Cellphones Battery Require Full Charge Before Use?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.