Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,929 members, 7,814,131 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:28 AM

Iheanacho, Awoniyi And Alampasu Named In CHAN Squad. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Iheanacho, Awoniyi And Alampasu Named In CHAN Squad. (15313 Views)

Taiwo Awoniyi’s Twin Sister; Kehinde / Liverpool Signs Nigeria's Taiwo Awoniyi (PHOTOS) / Eaglets Shine In CHAN Eagles Friendly; Eagles Win 4-1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Iheanacho, Awoniyi And Alampasu Named In CHAN Squad. by tbaba1234: 5:00pm On Dec 05, 2013
Big opportunity for the kids to break into the big time

Keshi names Eaglets in Chan squad

Nigeria coach Stephen Keshi has called up three players from the World Cup winning Under-17 team in his 30-man team squad for the third African Nations Championship in South Africa.

Goalkeeper Sunday Alampasu, midfielder Kelechi Iheanacho and forward Taiwo Awoniyi have been handed opportunities to break into big time quickly.

Keshi qualified Nigeria for the tournament for the first time and is looking forward to a memorable outing in the same country where he led the Super Eagles A Team to the Africa Cup of Nations title earlier this year.

“We are going to the CHAN for the first time but we want to be the best at our very first outing,” he said in Salvador on Thursday morning.

Nigeria play host South Africa, Mali and Mozambique in Group A at the tournament starting on 11th January, 2014.

Regular Super Eagles Team B faces dominate the list which has six players on standby.

First choice goalkeeper and skipper Chigozie Agbim and ace midfielder Sunday Mba top the list, with Shooting Stars’ fiery forward Gbolahan Salami handed a recall.

There are four goalkeepers, nine defenders, eight midfielders and nine strikers.

All 30 players on the main list are expected to report to the Bolton White Apartments in Abuja on Monday, 9th December. Players on the standby list will have opportunity to join the team only if a player on the main list gets injured.

THE FULL LIST:

Goalkeepers: Chigozie Agbim (Enugu Rangers); Daniel Akpeyi (Heartland FC); Isah Danladi (Sharks FC); Sunday Alampasu (Abuja Football College)

Defenders: Azubuike Egwuekwe (Warri Wolves); Ebenezer Odunlami (Sunshine Stars); Benjamin Francis (Heartland FC); Solomon Kwambe (Sunshine Stars); Bright Esieme (Enyimba FC); Yinka Adedeji (Sharks FC); Reuben Ogbonnaya (El-Kanemi Warriors); Umar Zango (Kano Pillars); Chibuzor Madu (Enugu Rangers)

Midfielders: Sunday Mba (Enugu Rangers); Etebo Oghenekaro (Warri Wolves); Rabiu Ali (Kano Pillars); Ogonna Osuchukwu (Enugu Rangers); Achiv Douglas (Lobi Stars); Kelechi Iheanacho (Taiye Academy, Owerri); Mohammed Ajia (Bayelsa United); Christian Pyagbara (Sharks FC)

Forwards: Muhammad Gambo (Kano Pillars); Ifeanyi Edeh (Enyimba FC); Barnabas Imenger (Lobi Stars); Ejike Uzoenyi (Enugu Rangers); Ezekiel Mbah (Akwa United); Obiozor Christian (Enugu Rangers); Abubakar Aliyu (Nasarawa United); Gbolahan Salami (3SC); Taiwo Awoniyi (Imperial Academy, Ilorin)

Standby: Happy Okuoka (Heartland FC); Bello Ikeleji (Insurance FC); Obinna Nwachukwu (Heartland FC); Izuegbu Abonima (Enugu Rangers); Paul Ikenna (Sunshine Stars); John Austin Igenepo

http://www.kickoffnigeria.com/news/39600/nigeria-coach-stephen-keshi-names-chan-squad
Re: Iheanacho, Awoniyi And Alampasu Named In CHAN Squad. by tbaba1234: 5:03pm On Dec 05, 2013
Can Iheanacho, Awoniyi and Alampasu make the squad to South Africa??
Re: Iheanacho, Awoniyi And Alampasu Named In CHAN Squad. by Forzap: 5:34pm On Dec 05, 2013
Thumbs up keshi!! These boyz nid exposure nd experience.......buh wud av been happier if nwakali nd yahaya had made d list

7 Likes

Re: Iheanacho, Awoniyi And Alampasu Named In CHAN Squad. by shurlar50(m): 5:37pm On Dec 05, 2013
What about Musa Muhammed? haba

4 Likes

Re: Iheanacho, Awoniyi And Alampasu Named In CHAN Squad. by bluejeff(m): 5:39pm On Dec 05, 2013
That's good. Yahaya should'a been added to the list too.

2 Likes

Re: Iheanacho, Awoniyi And Alampasu Named In CHAN Squad. by AbuMikey(m): 5:55pm On Dec 05, 2013

How about Muhammed and Yahaya na.. They deserve it too...

Anyways, good one Coach

1 Like

Re: Iheanacho, Awoniyi And Alampasu Named In CHAN Squad. by fijiano202(m): 5:57pm On Dec 05, 2013
shurlar50: What about Musa Muhammed? haba
am suprise also,he deserves a call up
Re: Iheanacho, Awoniyi And Alampasu Named In CHAN Squad. by bizibrain(m): 5:58pm On Dec 05, 2013
Dis is a welcom development, it wil b a pitiable dismal 4 dem nt 2 make d 23-man squad just like kanu nwanko(U-17 1993)and if dey ar shortlisted among d 23-man squad, keshi should nt hesitate 2 draft dis guyz 2 TEAM A if dey deliver brilliantly.

D chance of Nigeria winning dis chan is slim, if dey face a country like ethiopia dat feature majorly home-base player, dey ar finished, even TEAM A super eagle always struggle 2 beat an entire home-base ethiopia.
Re: Iheanacho, Awoniyi And Alampasu Named In CHAN Squad. by Emmysteve(m): 6:13pm On Dec 05, 2013
Musa Mohammed
Re: Iheanacho, Awoniyi And Alampasu Named In CHAN Squad. by homesteady(m): 6:16pm On Dec 05, 2013
Good one! If only yahaya was a little bit bigger, he would have made the list!
Re: Iheanacho, Awoniyi And Alampasu Named In CHAN Squad. by AOB1963: 6:19pm On Dec 05, 2013
I had been hoping that Taiwo Awoniyi's talent is recognised by the Coach. We should not forget, he was not in the U-17 first team. he came in as a sub and delivered. That shows not only the depth of the U-17 team, but also that Awoniyi is good and very confident. He is also a team player which Keshi appreciates. Same situation for Alampasu, he was not first choice, but he delivered. Don't forget that is how Omeruo was uncovered, same with Onazi, they were sitting on the bench, but as soon as they get their chance, they did not look back. Ihenacho too was for a long time in the shadows of Success till he got his chance. That show a very deep desire and drive in them. They will be successful in making the CHAN cut and I suspect Awoniyi and Ihenacho may go all the way to Brazil. These are the type of players that Keshi is after. Very confident yet very humble

4 Likes

Re: Iheanacho, Awoniyi And Alampasu Named In CHAN Squad. by Theben(m): 6:27pm On Dec 05, 2013
South Africa and Ethiopia are CHAN favourites. Naija and our west African brothers are just there to make up numbers.
Re: Iheanacho, Awoniyi And Alampasu Named In CHAN Squad. by bizibrain(m): 6:35pm On Dec 05, 2013
Theben: South Africa and Ethiopia are CHAN favourites. Naija and our west African brothers are just there to make up numbers.
That is just d point bro, ethiopia feature majorly dere home base player @ d senior level, and dere home-base player give d great omeruo, oboabona, emenike, john-obi mikel a tough time, dey even turn victor moses 2 amatuer in october. Y our darling Nigeria home-base player(mba majorly) seems brilliant but dey cover dere lapses wit d help of europe -base player team work.
Re: Iheanacho, Awoniyi And Alampasu Named In CHAN Squad. by safarigirl(f): 7:10pm On Dec 05, 2013
Yahaya is too young, he'll be eligible to play the next U-17. That being said, I'm optimistic that we'll make an impact with Keshi as coach, CIV, Ghana and Mali were favorites to win AFCON, but Keshi took a highly inexperienced side and defeated those guys. Kinda sucks that Musa didn't get called up, but I'm happy Iheanacho and Awoniyi especially will get the chance to show their stuff and I beleive their combo could terrorise any defence. The way I love Taiwo Awoniyi sha, that boy just makes me smile

2 Likes

Re: Iheanacho, Awoniyi And Alampasu Named In CHAN Squad. by striker9(m): 7:17pm On Dec 05, 2013
Mohammed?
Re: Iheanacho, Awoniyi And Alampasu Named In CHAN Squad. by obinoral(m): 7:38pm On Dec 05, 2013
safarigirl: Yahaya is too young, he'll be eligible to play the next U-17. That being said, I'm optimistic that we'll make an impact with Keshi as coach, CIV, Ghana and Mali were favorites to win AFCON, but Keshi took a highly inexperienced side and defeated those guys. Kinda sucks that Musa didn't get called up, but I'm happy Iheanacho and Awoniyi especially will get the chance to show their stuff and I beleive their combo could terrorise any defence. The way I love Taiwo Awoniyi sha, that boy just makes me smile
Re: Iheanacho, Awoniyi And Alampasu Named In CHAN Squad. by PetroDolla2: 8:14pm On Dec 05, 2013
safarigirl: Yahaya is too young, he'll be eligible to play the next U-17. That being said, I'm optimistic that we'll make an impact with Keshi as coach, CIV, Ghana and Mali were favorites to win AFCON, but Keshi took a highly inexperienced side and defeated those guys. Kinda sucks that Musa didn't get called up, but I'm happy Iheanacho and Awoniyi especially will get the chance to show their stuff and I beleive their combo could terrorise any defence. The way I love Taiwo Awoniyi sha, that boy just makes me smile
Did he defeat Ghana as well as? The last time I checked your team hasn't beaten Ghana since 2006. don't know know where you got your info from
Re: Iheanacho, Awoniyi And Alampasu Named In CHAN Squad. by Theben(m): 8:32pm On Dec 05, 2013
PetroDolla2: Did he defeat Ghana as well as? The last time I checked your team hasn't beaten Ghana since 2006. don't know know where you got your info from
A team that defeated two teams that humilaited Ghana has nothing else to prove against the Ghanaians.

7 Likes

Re: Iheanacho, Awoniyi And Alampasu Named In CHAN Squad. by safarigirl(f): 9:00pm On Dec 05, 2013
Theben:
A team that defeated two teams that humilaited Ghana has nothing else to prove against the Ghanaians.
Mali wey we smoke 4-1, na dem wan destroy Ghana psychologically.

The Super Eagles have nothing to prove as far as African countries are concerned, we've shown them just why we're the Champions, we just need to overcome the Europeans and South Americans now

1 Like

Re: Iheanacho, Awoniyi And Alampasu Named In CHAN Squad. by lexyman(m): 9:00pm On Dec 05, 2013
A brilliant decision by Keshi ...Iheanacho and awoniyi is good enough to play @ the CHAN

1 Like

Re: Iheanacho, Awoniyi And Alampasu Named In CHAN Squad. by LMAyedun(m): 9:02pm On Dec 05, 2013
Good Move Keshi!!
Let's rule this continent again.
Keshi, Nigeria football messiah

2 Likes

Re: Iheanacho, Awoniyi And Alampasu Named In CHAN Squad. by drstan(m): 10:24pm On Dec 05, 2013
safarigirl: Mali wey we smoke 4-1, na dem wan destroy Ghana psychologically.

The Super Eagles have nothing to prove as far as African countries are concerned, we've shown them just why we're the Champions, we just need to overcome the Europeans and South Americans now
QED
Re: Iheanacho, Awoniyi And Alampasu Named In CHAN Squad. by Nobody: 10:42pm On Dec 05, 2013
In my mind ehn, I feel the whole u17 team is good enough to make the cut. Hopefully keshi will take the trio to south Africa.

1 Like

Re: Iheanacho, Awoniyi And Alampasu Named In CHAN Squad. by shopisky(m): 11:23pm On Dec 05, 2013

U just spoke my mind jare, super eagles were without doubt the best african team dis year. Besides, so sweet to read a lady's commentin on football matters, keep it up.
Re: Iheanacho, Awoniyi And Alampasu Named In CHAN Squad. by Obiagu1(m): 11:59pm On Dec 05, 2013
Awoniyi: A great finisher. I suspect he might make it to the world cup.
We've not had a player who could score goals without many touches.

Iheanacho? Not really sure of that guy. I still have my concerns.
I hope he works harder defensively.

Yahaya: The best player in the U17 squad. I'm surprised Keshi didn't give him a chance now.

Nwakali: Second best player in the squad. Deserves a chance.

Isaac: I didn't watch much of him. So I can't evaluate him.

Alampasu: Deserves the call up.

4 Likes

Re: Iheanacho, Awoniyi And Alampasu Named In CHAN Squad. by Obiagu1(m): 12:11am On Dec 06, 2013
Theben: South Africa and Ethiopia are CHAN favourites. Naija and our west African brothers are just there to make up numbers.

Don't forget that a mostly home based eagles played a 1-1 draw with Catalonia.
Re: Iheanacho, Awoniyi And Alampasu Named In CHAN Squad. by Jiggaman101: 5:51am On Dec 06, 2013

Why u guys act like Ghana has never beaten Mali or burkina before. We have beaten Mali twice when it really counted, Mali was happy to win third place, Ghana wanted the trophy or nothing. With regards to burkina I believe that was their first time beating us.

1 Like

Re: Iheanacho, Awoniyi And Alampasu Named In CHAN Squad. by safarigirl(f): 7:37am On Dec 06, 2013
Jigga_man101:

Why u guys act like Ghana has never beaten Mali or burkina before. We have beaten Mali twice when it really counted, Mali was happy to win third place, Ghana wanted the trophy or nothing. With regards to burkina I believe that was their first time beating us.
yeah yeah, whatever makes you sleep at night. we no get business with ghana or any other African country as far as football is concerned

1 Like

Re: Iheanacho, Awoniyi And Alampasu Named In CHAN Squad. by Jiggaman101: 8:57am On Dec 06, 2013
safarigirl: yeah yeah, whatever makes you sleep at night. we no get business with ghana or any other African country as far as football is concerned

Damn right, Ghana is far ahead when it comes to african football. We have conquered Africa both youth and senior level. We have conquered youth level in the world of football. Our eyes are now set on the world on the senior level. We arrived in 06 but have already imprint our name in the world.

1 Like

Re: Iheanacho, Awoniyi And Alampasu Named In CHAN Squad. by Nobody: 8:59am On Dec 06, 2013
Jigga_man101:

Damn right, Ghana is far ahead when it comes to african football. We have conquered Africa both youth and senior level. We have conquered youth level in the world of football. Our eyes are now set on the world on the senior level. We arrived in 06 but have already imprint out name in the world.

Congrats grin
Re: Iheanacho, Awoniyi And Alampasu Named In CHAN Squad. by Jiggaman101: 9:00am On Dec 06, 2013
django1:

Congrats grin

Thank you grin grin
Re: Iheanacho, Awoniyi And Alampasu Named In CHAN Squad. by safarigirl(f): 11:20am On Dec 06, 2013
Jigga_man101:

Damn right, Ghana is far ahead when it comes to african football. We have conquered Africa both youth and senior level. We have conquered youth level in the world of football. Our eyes are now set on the world on the senior level. We arrived in 06 but have already imprint our name in the world.
oh, you've arrives by winning 60% of games at AFCON with penalties? abeg no make me laugh

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

We Never Planned To Humiliate Nigeria – US Coach / Keshi Makes Changes As Aluko, Lawal, Oshaniwa Start Against Sudan / Mohamed Salah Becomes Fastest Liverpool Player To Reach 50 Premier League Goals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.