Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,467 members, 7,819,704 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:22 PM

All your Inverter problems - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / All your Inverter problems (144796 Views)

Inverter[cost And Usage] Make Your Inverter Batteries Last For 10hours At A Go / Xmas Bonanza: Get Your Inverter Today & Say Bye Bye To Unstable Power Supply. / Buy Your Inverter Now For 50,000. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All your Inverter problems by AreaFada2: 3:04pm On Dec 09, 2013
nice thread
Re: All your Inverter problems by duality(m): 3:07pm On Dec 09, 2013
Plz How do I convert my 650 mercury UPS to last longer,save more power and maybe use a car battery.
Re: All your Inverter problems by henwun(m): 3:09pm On Dec 09, 2013
niyimat: pls which is better and more rugged; the locally made inverter which are cheaper or the imported ones which are on the high cost side
thanks

The Question is, Can you afford the imported Inverter? Your answer would be enough to know what is good for you.
Re: All your Inverter problems by gsparks01(m): 3:10pm On Dec 09, 2013
Following
Re: All your Inverter problems by henwun(m): 3:12pm On Dec 09, 2013
duality: Plz How do I convert my 650 mercury UPS to last longer,save more power and maybe use a car battery.

UPS is designed to back up your Computer Systems , Servers. Its not designed for long lasting. Get yourself an Inverter , and Deep cycle batteries.
Re: All your Inverter problems by henwun(m): 3:16pm On Dec 09, 2013
fnykl: I bought a fairly used 24v, 1.5kva innova inverter with 2 200ah 12v battery, but wrongly connected just one 12v battery and d 24v inverter supplied excess voltage and damaged d battery. D battery presently is swollen. But after connecting d 2batteries in parallel, d inverter charges d batteries, but it does not last for 30mins even if I only turn on light bulbs and fan. So I assume the faulty battery is making the other battery not to work well. Please is there any where I can get such battery fixed. Is a mercury dry cell battery. Also, can I get a cheaper battery, because I checked Jumia and the price of their battery was 55K. Thanks.

Sir, Better you replace your batteries with A very good and reliable ones... Don't always go for Cheap Batteries,
Re: All your Inverter problems by henwun(m): 3:17pm On Dec 09, 2013
stint: can you give me a brief/quick estimation of a solar system that can power my self contain, containing 3 bulbs, 2 ceiling fan, a tv and sound system with enough power to charge my laptop?

Do you mean Complete solar system, Or just Batteries and Inverter, These are 2 different System
Re: All your Inverter problems by henwun(m): 3:20pm On Dec 09, 2013
ayzone: @op,pls i just bought a 2.2kva inverter. I want to know the battery rating i can use wit it to power a tv set,sound system,2 ceiling fans and 6 energy saving bulbs. Also,i will like to know how long it will last if fully charged. Thanks

you can get 4 200AH batteries, This will take you Days on fully Charged
Re: All your Inverter problems by redocean: 3:21pm On Dec 09, 2013
I have a 2KVA blue gate inverter on a pair of 200 amps battery. However, lately it goes off in less than 2 hours after full charge so am considering getting a new set of batteries. Do you have any suggestion on durable batteries and their prices?
Re: All your Inverter problems by deeptesting(m): 3:21pm On Dec 09, 2013
speedyboi:
if your wiring was done by a certified electrical engineer, then you don't have a problem. Lighting system, heating system (cookers etc), sockets etc are connected to different circuit breakers on the distribution board cos their ratings vary. So all you need do is get an engineer to help you include the lighting system. But if na those electricians wire your house for you, then your case don enter voicemail...because they connect anyhow to the distribution board grin. That's the reason why appliance blow up when current is high instead of the 15amps circuit breaker to just switch off. In the apartment i'm staying, whoever wired it connected some sockets to 30amps that is meant for cooker. So technically; apart from the fact that such house can't achieve what you wanna do due to mixed up connections, my appliances are not safe too sad.

Ok thanks i will get in touch with the Electrician armed with this information.

1 Like

Re: All your Inverter problems by Joeadamxx(m): 3:21pm On Dec 09, 2013
Good day Sunny,

Thanks for your offer to help solve inverter problems.
Until recently, I was using the Sukam 10KVA 15 batteries(200ah) inverter. Unfortunately, the batteries only lasted about a year before they all ran down.
I made enquiries and was told that the best and longest lasting batteries are the ones with the higher amps/hr. So, I sold my inverter and batteries for cheap and bought a new system based on the cyberpower 7.5kva - 48v. I bought 2vx24 batteries (600ah), but I have been having problems since then. As the inverter seems not to be capable of coping with the batteries, even after buying 2 50ah battery chargers. As the inverter always trip off on overheating between 35 - 47 degrees.

I have been going back and forth with cyberpower and the supplier and now the temperature is normal at about 35 deg, but it always trip off anytime I am on either NEPA or generator. Sometimes it trips off 10 times within an hour.

I suspect that there is a current leakage from the items not connected to the inverter when switched on, especially iron, microwave and water heater.

What do you think please? You can reach me on joeadamxx@gmail.com

Best Regards,

Joe
Re: All your Inverter problems by mekano1980: 3:24pm On Dec 09, 2013
Inverter is an electronic device that converts DC (direct current) to AC (alternative current) when NEPA goes off.The batteries store the current during charging from public power supply PHCN,when PHCN goes off the stored current inside the battery which DC will now supply the to the inverter,then the inverter will now converts it to AC current for usage.It is not adviceable to plug pressing iron or Electric kettle on inverter.

Re: All your Inverter problems by andyanders: 3:27pm On Dec 09, 2013
U-dee:
Energi inverters are suitable for harsh conditions where power voltage is extremely unstable (aka naija) grin

famicare(signwave) inverter with four 150amp batteries with The Energy inverters like this you stated here, how much will it cost to get something like this with the 150 amp batteries?
Re: All your Inverter problems by idris4r83(m): 3:29pm On Dec 09, 2013
Nice n educative thread but the OP is not responding 2 questions. OP we need answers pls, come finish wat u started.

3 Likes

Re: All your Inverter problems by mekano1980: 3:40pm On Dec 09, 2013
See also solare street lights

Re: All your Inverter problems by Nobody: 3:54pm On Dec 09, 2013
Dad Lolade:

@Sunnym
Kindly assist with my enquiries below:

I intend to pick a CyberPower 2.2KV 24V INVERTER with 2 Units 12V 200AH 20Hr Deep Cycle battery (Luminous batteries)
How good is that combination
And I will need a charger controller for Inverter System above.
Which brand and capacity will you recommend

I intend to load the INVERTER system above with the Gadgets below,

1.) 10 Units of 25W Energy Saver Bulbs
2.) 42" Plasma TV
3.) 1No Double door Refridgerator
4.) 1No Single door small Feezer
5.) 1No Computer PC Unit
6.) 1No Mini Home Theater.

HOW MANY HOURS WILL IT LAST ON FULL CHARGE.

Thank you.

Hmmm, I beleiieve I have a fair knowledge of inverters and how they work given a track record of a no of years of usage
From what you posted above I can assure you that size of inverter will not meet your needs. In short I believe you're better off not putting your refrigerators on your inverter. This is simply because refrigerator compressors tend to draw a lot of power at start up, which your inverter is not built to handle. It will surely kill your inverter in no time.

Meanwhile, it is advisable to try and not fully load the inverter to full capacity, something like 50% load is alright IMO. I also see no mention of fans in your post. I think you should try as much as possible to consider the importance of calculating wattages when you're buying a new appliance once you know you want to place its load on your inverter.

On the whole, try and go easy on how much load you place on your inverter. The lighter the load, the longer it will serve you, as the rate of battery discharge will be greatly minimised.

All the best.
Re: All your Inverter problems by biomedixexcel(m): 4:29pm On Dec 09, 2013
How much would 200AH battery and inverter cost?
Re: All your Inverter problems by hrmkz: 4:31pm On Dec 09, 2013
Hi,
Tnx for d humanatarian job.

I have the attached inverter which is 3kva and 2 of battries pics attached.

But the battries have since pack up after just a year.

Please advice on long lasting battries and where they are can be found.

Tnx once again.
Re: All your Inverter problems by realpower32(m): 4:32pm On Dec 09, 2013
Mbeki: A neighbour's inverter caught fire and nearly burnt down the whole building saved for fire service department, what could be the cause, in a new building we're constructing, we are considering building an inverter house outside and connecting to the main house with an underground cable, just in case of fire, what's your take?

Well, from my little years of experience. Most times when fire outbreak occurs and is related to inverter. it could be any of the following
1- poor wiring (using common neutral btw inverter and supply NEPA or GEN).

2- Overcharging due to poor charger design or poor battery size to charger rating ( the inverter could over charge battery and leads to thermal runaway).

3- as simple as this sound is very critical: Partial contact. (supply to inverter or battery connection) partial contacts leads to heat buildup and that could lead to fire outbreak if not detected.

4- Poor Ventilation : inverter is an electronic device and it does require some level of ventilation and battery inclusive. in fact most batteries fail because of heat related issues without some installer knowing or the user.

I have been in this business for more-than ten years and have never had a single record of fire out break.

I hope my highlighted issues above will let you make an informed decision when next you plan deploying an inverter system.
Re: All your Inverter problems by realpower32(m): 4:34pm On Dec 09, 2013
Unique!:
Nice Response sir! you are so on point

Hmmm, I beleiieve I have a fair knowledge of inverters and how they work given a track record of a no of years of usage
From what you posted above I can assure you that size of inverter will not meet your needs. In short I believe you're better off not putting your refrigerators on your inverter. This is simply because refrigerator compressors tend to draw a lot of power at start up, which your inverter is not built to handle. It will surely kill your inverter in no time.

Meanwhile, it is advisable to try and not fully load the inverter to full capacity, something like 50% load is alright IMO. I also see no mention of fans in your post. I think you should try as much as possible to consider the importance of calculating wattages when you're buying a new appliance once you know you want to place its load on your inverter.

On the whole, try and go easy on how much load you place on your inverter. The lighter the load, the longer it will serve you, as the rate of battery discharge will be greatly minimised.

All the best.
Re: All your Inverter problems by realpower32(m): 4:40pm On Dec 09, 2013
Hello sir,
From the attached picture am always weary with inverters like this. to query your battery you need to know the quality of the charger design within the inverter. to check that, get a DC clamp meter to see the amount of current flowing into the battery.
Secondly from this build i will assume the designer used a low frequency transformer and which means the charger output is directly proportional to the supply input. a lower voltage input will be a poor charging.

just check your connections.
hrmkz: Hi,
Tnx for d humanatarian job.

I have the attached inverter which is 3kva and 2 of battries pics attached.

But the battries have since pack up after just a year.

Please advice on long lasting battries and where they are can be found.

Tnx once again.
Re: All your Inverter problems by Nobody: 4:42pm On Dec 09, 2013
niyimat: pls which is better and more rugged; the locally made inverter which are cheaper or the imported ones which are on the high cost side
thanks

Personally, I would go for the imported type over a locally made inverter. I have had a taste of both, and truly, my experience with local ones have not been palatable. Starting with the very first one we bought through a link here on Nairaland almost 4 years ago. Initially, all went well, save for little hiccups here and there; blown fuses, which were very persistent. We eventually had to master how to handle the issue of fuses. However. For all other issues we had to constantly depend on the builder of the inverter. You can imagine how tedious this became cos the guy sef, at some point became arrogant. And of course anytime he travelled out of town, you are literally OYO. It didn't end well as we eventually had to look for another repairer, who hastened the death and burial of the unit.

Our second attempt ended worse. Another so called inverter builder, whom I met on Nairaland, again. This time, not just the inverter, but also the 2 batteries. We had to scrap what was left of the unit.

My latest acquisition is a foreign built one - Luminous inverter, 1.5kva unit + 2 x 200 amp Mercury batteries. Incidentally, I was helped to arrive at my current choice by another Nairalander by name Femi. Very helpful guy. So far so good. Except for the issue I raised in my first post on this thread.

Point is though, you could get lucky with a good local inverter builder but my choice remains with foreign built inverter as they seem to have perfected the technology better than our people. My opinion.

2 Likes

Re: All your Inverter problems by realpower32(m): 4:43pm On Dec 09, 2013
How long have you been using your inverter?
redocean: I have a 2KVA blue gate inverter on a pair of 200 amps battery. However, lately it goes off in less than 2 hours after full charge so am considering getting a new set of batteries. Do you have any suggestion on durable batteries and their prices?
Re: All your Inverter problems by lapetite(f): 4:46pm On Dec 09, 2013
biomedixexcel: How much would 200AH battery and inverter cost?
wht capacity of inverter do you want
Re: All your Inverter problems by TechW: 4:46pm On Dec 09, 2013
joeargy:
I luckily stumbled into dis thread, are u sure an apc 650 ups can charge a 100ah battery? If it will, how many hours wil it take to fully charge?
I asked a battery charger and he said its imposible, i know u are more educated than he is but what of experience? Can u pls explain. Wont it over heat the apc 650va ups and set my face2face room on fire while i'm not at home? Pls reply
Thanks
Hello, it won't overheat the inverter but it will take a very long period of time to charge the battery to its full capacity.
on the issue of how long it will take, that depends on the charging current of the UPS, which is relatively low.
It may take a typical650va UPS more than 4 days to charge up a 100ah battery back to it's full capacity and the ugly part of it is that it will might take just 4 hours to discharge the same battery capacity.
Re: All your Inverter problems by TechW: 4:49pm On Dec 09, 2013
Mbeki: A neighbour's inverter caught fire and nearly burnt down the whole building saved for fire service department, what could be the cause, in a new building we're constructing, we are considering building an inverter house outside and connecting to the main house with an underground cable, just in case of fire, what's your take?
Just like the everyday electronics we have in our various house, inverter is not an exception, your neighbours inverter must have been one of the poorly made inverters out there, it must have had an internal switching issues.
Re: All your Inverter problems by realpower32(m): 4:51pm On Dec 09, 2013
Hello Sir,
From what you explained? i believe the transformer is stressed. reduce the charging current if possible or use your bypass switch. to do this connect your loads directly to supply and use the inverter to charge alone. see if the temperature reduce?

quote author=Joeadamxx]Good day Sunny,

Thanks for your offer to help solve inverter problems.
Until recently, I was using the Sukam 10KVA 15 batteries(200ah) inverter. Unfortunately, the batteries only lasted about a year before they all ran down.
I made enquiries and was told that the best and longest lasting batteries are the ones with the higher amps/hr. So, I sold my inverter and batteries for cheap and bought a new system based on the cyberpower 7.5kva - 48v. I bought 2vx24 batteries (600ah), but I have been having problems since then. As the inverter seems not to be capable of coping with the batteries, even after buying 2 50ah battery chargers. As the inverter always trip off on overheating between 35 - 47 degrees.

I have been going back and forth with cyberpower and the supplier and now the temperature is normal at about 35 deg, but it always trip off anytime I am on either NEPA or generator. Sometimes it trips off 10 times within an hour.

I suspect that there is a current leakage from the items not connected to the inverter when switched on, especially iron, microwave and water heater.

What do you think please? You can reach me on joeadamxx@gmail.com

Best Regards,

Joe[/quote]
Re: All your Inverter problems by Nobody: 4:52pm On Dec 09, 2013
biomedixexcel: How much would 200AH battery and inverter cost?

Your question can be easily answered by checking the electronics section of Jumia. The average price of 200AH battery is @ N50k. By the way, Jumia also stocks inverters, and I believe they have some of the best prices.
Re: All your Inverter problems by realpower32(m): 4:56pm On Dec 09, 2013
You need to know the size of your inverter, so that it can handle the numbers light points. I will advice you use energy bulbs instead of regular incandescent bulbs
deeptesting: Please i have an inverter with two batteries of 12V 18OAh which i only use to power my CCTV Machine at home 24 hours but i want to have it connected to all the bulbs(energy) in my rooms and kitchen but i did conduit wiring and don`t any surface wires,how can i achieve this goal?
Re: All your Inverter problems by lapetite(f): 4:56pm On Dec 09, 2013
To get a durable inverter that will serve u well, contact 07045994904 or visit https://www.facebook.com/EnergiDevices where a friend of mine got his inverter and batteries, he told me they do maintenance service for 1 year after every purchase,getting mine soonest from them wink
Re: All your Inverter problems by Udee1(f): 4:56pm On Dec 09, 2013
andyanders:

famicare(signwave) inverter with four 150amp batteries with The Energy inverters like this you stated here, how much will it cost to get something like this with the 150 amp batteries?
It depends on the capacity of inverter you wish to purchase

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Man Kills A Viper With 64 Babies In Anambra State (Photos) / Simple Way To Download Youtube Videos Without Any Software (Androids, PC, BB,..) / Www.whatsapp.com-download Free Whatsapp Messenger For Iphone,blackbery & Android

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.