Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,914 members, 7,863,175 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 12:37 PM

Why Is My Hair Falling Out? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Is My Hair Falling Out? (555 Views)

How Do I Make My Hair Curly And Beautiful? / 13 Tricks For Falling Asleep Faster / How Do I Prevent My Hair From Splitting/breaking? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Is My Hair Falling Out? by healthenquire: 1:00pm On Dec 07, 2013
It's true that men are more likely to lose their hair than women, mostly due to male pattern baldness (more on that later).

But thinning hair and hair loss are also common in women, and no less demoralizing. Reasons can range from the simple and temporary—a vitamin deficiency—to the more complex, like an underlying health condition.

In many cases, there are ways to treat both male and female hair loss. It all depends on the cause. Here are some common and not-so-common reasons why you might be seeing less hair on your head.Physical stress
Any kind of physical trauma—surgery, a car accident, or a severe illness, even the flu—can cause temporary hair loss. This can trigger a type of hair loss called telogen effluvium. Hair has a programmed life cycle: a growth phase, rest phase and shedding phase. “When you have a really stressful event, it can shock the hair cycle, (pushing) more hair into the shedding phase,” explains Marc Glashofer, MD, a dermatologist in New York City. Hair loss often becomes noticeable three-to-six months after the trauma.

What to do: The good news is that hair will start growing back as your body recovers.Pregnancy
Pregnancy is one example of the type of physical stress that can cause hair loss (that and hormones). Pregnancy-related hair loss is seen more commonly after your baby has been delivered rather than actually during pregnancy. “Giving birth is pretty traumatic,”
What to do: If you do experience hair loss, rest assured that your hair will grow back in a couple of months. “It’s a normal thing and it will work its way out,”

Lack of protein
If you don't get enough protein in your diet, your body may ration protein by shutting down hair growth, according to the American Academy of Dermatology. This can happen about two to three months after a drop in protein intake, they say.

What to do: There are many great sources of protein, including fish, meat, and eggs. If you don't eat meat or animal products

By www.healthenquire.com
Re: Why Is My Hair Falling Out? by healthenquire: 1:03pm On Dec 12, 2013
More tips coming

(1) (Reply)

Dangers Of Chlorine In Drinking Water / Pathetic: An India Woman Miscarries 10 Babies In One Night / Fumigate And Clean-up Promo 3 In 1- Chogon Cleanup Bonanza ..!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.