Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,830 members, 7,820,909 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:05 AM

Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? (5494 Views)

Poll: i will rather remain in nigeria

yes: 40% (32 votes)
no: 43% (34 votes)
undecided: 16% (13 votes)
This poll has ended

Is Nigeria Worth Dying For? / Total Makes Offshore Oil Discovery In Nigeria Worth 85,000 Barrels A Day / How Much Is Nigeria Worth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by kosovo(m): 6:34am On May 01, 2009
so was i right?
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by Kobojunkie: 6:41am On May 01, 2009
KnowAll:

Nigerian would have been worth living if and only if ? lipsrsealed certain things are in-place can you imagine

shocked

You pay serious money for crap houses, crap neigbourhoods, crap facilties, can anyone tell me why a 3 or 4 bedroom in the Lekki corridor cost between 50 and 100 million Naira. Have you thought of it 50 MILLION Naira !!! that is £200,000.00 undecided or $ 240,000.00 I will rather get something better abroad than pay that kind of money. How can a country that has over 75% un-employed peeps another 20% employed but payed pathetic wages N10,000.00 a MONTH sustain such hyper and even over-inflated property market. My verdict is dooms day is round the corner and all those who bought over-priced properties will sreaming their head off just like the Nigeria stock exchange. Do not even mention renting in Ikoyi or VI.

For that amount, you can purchase a loft in one of the high rise buildings in downtown Chicago with a seriously awesome view of the lake and right in the middle of the city itself, with 24 hour accessible transportation/private parking, and amenities for cheap.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by idupaul: 6:45am On May 01, 2009
yes on crap property wih overbloated prices, its crazy
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by AjanleKoko: 9:07am On May 01, 2009
Amusing topic.
Truth is, most people who live in Nigeria don't even have a choice, as most people living in Pakistan, North Korea, Bangladesh, or India do not. They have to live there, regardless of the many graphic horrors our diasporean friends have energetically painted. Even for my diasporean friends, your parents, uncles, siblings, they still live in Nigeria abi? Have you rescued them yet, or you think they deserve to live there since they're not smart enough?

Some of these topics are kinda childish. Just like if you were a kid living in your parents house in Bariga or Ajegunle, you went to vist friends in Ikoyi, and came back abusing your neighbourhood and your parents. Would that change anything, even if you got the opportunity to leave the village to stay with your wealthy relatives in the city? Would you because of that forget who you are, where you came from, and the people you left behind?

Rather than thinking up all sorts of negative stuff to post about Nigeria (not that you don't have the right to), why don't you look at making progressive comments about how Nigeria can move forward, starting from your neighbourhood, your LG, and your state? Form progressive liaisons, get together and see how some sort of constructive engagement can be formulated. Else some of these comments don't even worth the bandwidth used to post them. They are rather immature and smack of too much CNN or some other sensationalist Western media.

As Yoruba people like to say, don't use your left hand to point out your father's house. Except you guys also think that African proverbs are a load of crap.

Peace.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by JJYOU: 9:25am On May 01, 2009
kosovo:

so was i right?
kosovo better pass nigeria?

nigeria is a very blessed place. we have the wrong people .

say for instance you ask the english to exchange thier island for nigeria without the oil today they will gladly do the deal. the irony is that give them 10yrs in nigeria and nigerians in the UK, nigerians will be queing in london for visa to nigeria.

we dont have the will and enduring strenght to pay the prize for transforming anything. we dont have the love to do anything for the good of the masses. we are mostly I, me and myself oriented. users and consumers. that is the difference.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by AjanleKoko: 9:48am On May 01, 2009
JJYOU:

nigeria is a very blessed place. we have the wrong people .

say for instance you ask the english to exchange thier island for nigeria without the oil today they will gladly do the deal. the irony is that give them 10yrs in nigeria and nigerians in the UK, nigerians will be queing in london for visa to nigeria.

we dont have the will and enduring strenght to pay the prize for transforming anything. we dont have the love to do anything for the good of the masses. we are mostly I, me and myself oriented. users and consumers. that is the difference.

@JJYOU,
Don't agree. The whole world is consumer-oriented, except of course for China.

The real issue is that people don't know, period.
People here don't really know who they are. If we ever did in the past, we lost all that identity somehow.
People here don't really know what they want to be. So we keep kicking back to the colonialists, and keep citing the colonial era, for self-validation.
People, either here or in the diaspora, don't really know how to move forward. Or to a large extent, how to empower themselves to move forward. That is why it seems the struggle to survive is really bitter out here in the Third World.

The difference between now and the future are only two things - maturity and leadership. It's all right to pin it all on Yar'Adua. But a large number of us are even far less capable. Most people can't even run their lives, it seems.
I like Covey's definition of progress - the 'continuum of maturity', from dependence to independence, and later to interdependence. Has any of us ever thought about the possibility that the struggle to make Nigeria better starts with each and every one of us? How far along that continuum are we as individuals?

That is why you see the trend of some of the Asiactic nations (Indians, Chinese, etc) being able to establish themselves anywhere they find themselves, in every field of industry imaginable, even crime. They obviously have moved further along that continuum, and are able to beat a path through the bush to the future.
Was at a Chinese restaurant the other night, and couldn't help marvelling at the fact that every single thing in that place, including the Insect-O-Cutor, hand dryer, taps and sink, and even the toilet bowl, were all manufactured in China. That can't all be government, or communism. At least we didn't see too many Soviet merchandise around those days. Long and short, let's all get busy living and moving forward to the place of our dreams. That even varies from person to person.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by JJYOU: 10:25am On May 01, 2009
AjanleKoko:

@JJYOU,
Don't agree. The whole world is consumer-oriented, except of course for China.

The real issue is that people don't know, period.
People here don't really know who they are. If we ever did in the past, we lost all that identity somehow.
People here don't really know what they want to be. So we keep kicking back to the colonialists, and keep citing the colonial era, for self-validation.
People, either here or in the diaspora, don't really know how to move forward. Or to a large extent, how to empower themselves to move forward. That is why it seems the struggle to survive is really bitter out here in the Third World.

The difference between now and the future are only two things - maturity and leadership. It's all right to pin it all on Yar'Adua. But a large number of us are even far less capable. Most people can't even run their lives, it seems.
I like Covey's definition of progress - the 'continuum of maturity', from dependence to independence, and later to interdependence. Has any of us ever thought about the possibility that the struggle to make Nigeria better starts with each and every one of us? How far along that continuum are we as individuals?

That is why you see the trend of some of the Asiactic nations (Indians, Chinese, etc) being able to establish themselves anywhere they find themselves, in every field of industry imaginable, even crime. They obviously have moved further along that continuum, and are able to beat a path through the bush to the future.
Was at a Chinese restaurant the other night, and couldn't help marvelling at the fact that every single thing in that place, including the Insect-O-Cutor, hand dryer, taps and sink, and even the toilet bowl, were all manufactured in China. That can't all be government, or communism. At least we didn't see too many Soviet merchandise around those days. Long and short, let's all get busy living and moving forward to the place of our dreams. That even varies from person to person.
are u of the ccc pa AjanleKoko? oga u like grammar i no go school. u talk about china are they not producing what is nigeria producing?

north america and europe are producers too in their own right plus the small matter of everyone using their currency plus them setting prices. what may surprice you too is that china and indian economy are to a large extent owned by americans/ europeans too. they own/ part own most of the factories producing the things they sell here in the west.

what you see the indians and chineese doing is doing what the west did to transform itself. tonight i heard on the auntie BBC of a town in china producing fridges but only one man own a fridge in the whole town and that was thanks to the govt giving farmers to subsidy to buy such things.

we are a consuming society that is fact. consuming what we cant afford for that matter.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by OneNaija(m): 10:53am On May 01, 2009
The problem with you Nigerian I want to be rich in one day.There are work in Nigeria.I find my job in Nigeria before i was transfer  to Ghana. There are job in Nigeria.Cleaning of road is a Job.All Nigerians has already left the farm.We all think of Big things. Must you always depend on the oil or must you always depend on Federal Government.You keep complain Nigeria is this and that. There are million of Ghanaian who don't have job here but they keep hustling to survive. We Nigeria want a Easy life like America and the Western World.It cant possible if we cant work it here in Nigeria.I don't blame the Government on other hand but I blame them on the other hand.Nigeria want Quick money.Chinedu don buy hummer Jeep.Me I never buy. that is Nigerians Mentality.There are a lot of Job in Nigeria to do if you are not Educated.My brother running away wont solve the problem.Nigeria Mentality are difficult to Understand if someone can studying it very well you will understand.There are million of Nigeria who has money but they all depend on Government to create the roads and make Nigeria beautiful in one day. for me the blame don't go to Nigeria herself but for the peoples who call themselves Nigerians.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by JJYOU: 11:19am On May 01, 2009
OneNaija:

The problem with you Nigerian I want to be rich in one day.There are work in Nigeria.I find my job in Nigeria before i was transfer  to Ghana. There are job in Nigeria.Cleaning of road is a Job.All Nigerians has already left the farm.We all think of Big things. Must you always depend on the oil or must you always depend on Federal Government.You keep complain Nigeria is this and that. There are million of Ghanaian who don't have job here but they keep hustling to survive. We Nigeria want a Easy life like America and the Western World.It cant possible if we cant work it here in Nigeria.I don't blame the Government on other hand but I blame them on the other hand.Nigeria want Quick money.Chinedu don buy hummer Jeep.Me I never buy. that is Nigerians Mentality.There are a lot of Job in Nigeria to do if you are not Educated.My brother running away wont solve the problem.Nigeria Mentality are difficult to Understand if someone can studying it very well you will understand.There are million of Nigeria who has money but they all depend on Government to create the roads and make Nigeria beautiful in one day. for me the blame don't go to Nigeria herself but for the peoples who call themselves Nigerians.

JJYOU:

nigeria is a very blessed place. [size=18pt]we have the wrong people [/size].

we have wrong people but that is no excuse for some idiots that fight themselves into govt positions to loot like they loot and over inflate contracts in nigeria. plus the shoody execution of contracts. our brains need to be reprogrammed dont you think?
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by Fhemmmy: 1:12pm On May 01, 2009
NIgeria is a nation with opportunities, if you have the right resources.
Security is terrible, however, you will be the only one to decide what is best for you.
But a little fix from the govt will make life so fun for the citizens
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by kosovo(m): 10:05pm On May 01, 2009
ohk
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by systems: 10:51pm On May 02, 2009
AjanleKoko:

Amusing topic.
Truth is, most people who live in Nigeria don't even have a choice, as most people living in Pakistan, North Korea, Bangladesh, or India do not.

I do not agree with you. Some people that live in Nigeria do so because they want to. Some have the resources to live in any part of the world they want to but they still prefer Nigeria. Quite a number of Nigerians travel to Europe and America just for a few weeks holiday once or twice a year. well, you only enjoy Nigeria if you have the coins.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by gentlegg(m): 11:39am On Jun 08, 2009
Is it the light??  At least we have light at all and Tiger generator is cheap now

Or is it water??  We have drinkable borehole & Pure water

Or security??  We have police (don't mind their N20)

Is it road??  At least Abuja roads are okay

Is is telecomunication?? I have 3 different working GSM lines

Is it education?? Am a graduate

Is it tourism?? Go to Cross River state and see Donald Duke's handwork

Is it transportation?? We have Buscar, Marcopolo & Hummer buses

Is it our ecomomy?? At least we have debt-free economy

Is it technology?? Emeagwali in US is a nigerian, and we have Zinox computers

Is it our industries?? We have Dangote sugar and cement industries

Is it sanitation?? At least Lagos looks cleanier these days

Is it our government?? We have a PDP ( sorry, Democractic) system of govt

Is it commerce?? We have Igbo people.

Is it what?? Just mention it.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by chidichris(m): 12:04pm On Jun 08, 2009
to me, the answer here is NO but do we have a choice? those who have choice have left since.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by blunt1990: 2:24pm On Jun 08, 2009
gentlegg:

Is it the light??  At least we have light at all and Tiger generator is cheap now

Or is it water??  We have drinkable borehole & Pure water

Or security??  We have police (don't mind their N20)

Is it road??  At least Abuja roads are okay

Is is telecomunication?? I have 3 different working GSM lines

Is it education?? Am a graduate

Is it tourism?? Go to Cross River state and see Donald Duke's handwork

Is it transportation?? We have Buscar, Marcopolo & Hummer buses

Is it our ecomomy?? At least we have debt-free economy

Is it technology?? Emeagwali in US is a nigerian, and we have Zinox computers

Is it our industries?? We have Dangote sugar and cement industries

Is it sanitation?? At least Lagos looks cleanier these days

Is it our government?? We have a PDP ( sorry, Democractic) system of govt

Is it commerce?? We have Igbo people.

Is it what?? Just mention it.

Good question but have you ever wondered what America would have been if the likes of George Washington ran away for better life in Britain in the eighteenth century. The democracy enjoyed by China today was fought by their citizens inclusive of students movements who stood their grounds even as their colleagues were killed in cold blood. The China of 20years ago was worst than Nigeria of today in terms of the impact of public opinion, yet, their fight was fruitful. why cant we do the same?

America and Europe were not created with the ''21 questions'' provided in abundance, their citizens, like you and I, provided them. We must desist from these our negative notions and think positive about the country.

If I may add, if you know you have not gone out of your way, your normal life, to add value or contribute to Nigerian growth, maybe by giving scholarships and/or buying new cloth for orphans, providing borehole to communities,  teaching/lecturing in schools for free, then you should keep your complaints to yourself as you are not different from the political class who do not have the interest of Nigeria at heart rather their own selfish interest
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by Ndipe(m): 7:32pm On Jun 08, 2009
Absolutely!
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by mccloud224(m): 8:05pm On Aug 12, 2009
Quote from: Okija_juju on July 29, 2008, 12:00 AM
Lets discard the cheap sentiments we throw around in the name of patriotism,

what is it in this country that makes it worth living in??

Is it the light?? Definitely not!!! I spend thousands of naira daily on fuel.

Or is it water?? I drink ampliclox from time to time coz i don't trust our "pure water"

Or security?? Honestly, i don't know who to dread.Is it the robbers,kidnappers or police?Apo six is a reminder of the sort of security we have

Is it road?? Which roads?

Is is telecomunication?? Hmmm.No comment.

Is it education?? Which education?Govt no send ASUU and the way things are going, it might extend till 2010

Is it tourism?? Where are the tourists?Who in his/her right mind would want to visit 9ja on tour?Unless they have a kidnapper fetish.

Is it transportation?? Is it the molue or the okadas or the kekenapeps?Which one?

Is it our ecomomy?? We never had one.Everybody "creates" their own economy.

Is it technology?? Someone mentioned Zinox computers which are assembled by already made parts.So technology is zero here.

Is it our industries?? Garri industry is still viable.At least the price keeps going up when there is fuel scarcity

Is it sanitation?? Only in Abj and Calabar

Is it our government?? Which govt?Is the arm robbers in aso rock or which?

Is it commerce?? No comment.

Is it what?? Nothing dey here jare.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by Kobojunkie: 8:29pm On Aug 12, 2009
mccloud224:

Is it the light?? Definitely not!!! I spend thousands of naira daily on fuel.

Or is it water?? [size=14pt] I drink ampliclox from time to time coz i don't trust our "pure water"[/size]\

Is it our industries?? [size=14pt]Garri industry is still viable.[/size] At least the price keeps going up when there is fuel scarcity

Roflmao!! grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by nex(m): 9:01pm On Aug 12, 2009
Ask yourselves, are there people living in Nigeria that can afford to live outside? Are there people from other countries who live in Nigeria? Are they many?

When you answer these questions, you will know if Nigeria is a country worth living in.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by dafidixone(m): 2:17pm On Aug 13, 2009
Nigeria for now is not worth it. I am a patriot but I go for the truth. If Nigeria is worth it why will our Politician seek medical outside.

Nigeria does not have a realistic Policies on ground to guide her. Nigeria is unable to provide the capital required to empower people. It is better to go out and be empowered then it will be possible to cross the poverty line.

I want to state here that indicator for crossing poverty line in Nigeria is not in the numbers of cars you ride. I use to have a friend that says he beleive he can make it in Nigeria when he struggle to get a job in the bank. He rented a two bedroom flat, he bought a good car. He said he has crossed poverty line. I told him you are still poor. He spent over two years paying back the loans from his bank. Most of us friends can not get to him for just a soft loan of N5,000. Finanlly, my friend trapped in the rat race he is now in the UK as an illegal immigrant. On getting to the UK he start sending money to us to buy properties for him, he came home to fix his marriage and now he is planning to start selling cars.

Do you think a Bank Manager will be able to acheive except through loan?

I am not saying it is easy out there but it is far better there than here
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by kosovo(m): 11:39pm On Aug 13, 2009
whao!
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by 3spade3(m): 12:39am On Aug 14, 2009
As long as I got a steady stream of bitches, that substance and CNN, then HELL YEA!!!
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by kosovo(m): 6:16am On Sep 17, 2009
polls shows defining numbers
  so we still have dedicated Nigerians grin
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by sjeezy8: 6:40am On Sep 17, 2009
yes too much money to be made
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by kosovo(m): 5:36pm On Dec 05, 2009
sjeezy8:

yes too much money to be made
In the most Dubious way, Only Possible in Nigeria.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by paddylo1(m): 6:33pm On Dec 05, 2009
For that amount, you can purchase a loft in one of the high rise buildings in downtown Chicago with a seriously awesome view of the lake and right in the middle of the city itself, with 24 hour accessible transportation/private parking, and amenities for cheap.

yes and u will pay property taxes every yr till u die,u didnt say that private parking in cities like new york and chicago downtown go for several hundred thousand dollars ,just for the space,and so on

plus your property might not appreciate,with this housing crisis for the next 5yrs,meanwhile in nigeria it is bound to make u money

anyhow what am going to say is that,there are people all over the world from different places

china is growing @ 8%,per annum,and there are people from china moving to the U.S for a better life and vice-versa

same with Nigeria,people are moving back home,while others are emigrating,its the nature of humans

u get in where u fit in. . .

so all i will say is everyones condition is not the same,there are also thousands of americans who will jump at the opportunity to go live and work in Nigeria

many are suffering here

like i said,get in where u fit in. . .and keep it moving
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by THEAMAKA3(f): 7:01pm On Dec 05, 2009
depending on the area.
If i could raise my kids anywhere in Nigeria, it would probably be in Abuja.
other than that, i really dont know.
its too chaotic all over the place. but if she does change for the better, then why not?  smiley
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by gbidu(m): 6:35pm On Jun 26, 2015
Below is his price list: 1GB for #1100 (via bank deposit/transfer) or N1,200 (Via Airtime) 2GB for #2200 (via bank deposit/transfer) or N2,400 (Via Airtime) 3GB for #3300 (via bank deposit/transfer) or N3,600 (Via Airtime) 4GB for #4400 (via bank deposit/transfer) or N4,700 (Via Airtime) 5GB for #5500 (via bank deposit/transfer) or N5,800 (Via Airtime) Lest I forget, the validity of any of this plan is 28-30 days. You can compare the prices above with the normal MTN data bundles to see how much you will be saving yourself. Any of the plans above work on any device, eg. Android, iPhone, iPad, Laptop, Nokia, Lumia, Windows, etc To order for any of the plans, contact Nnaji ThankGod Sunday on any of the contacts below: Call/Whatsapp: 08037421796 Call: 08056777866 BB: 55B3773D Email: sunnythanksman@yahoo.com or sunnythanksman@gmail.com N:B – You don’t have to doubt if this is real or not. Just get it and try it out. If it doesn’t work as stated above and more … or if you don’t absolutely love it and have more fun using cheap data …just let me know

Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jun 26, 2015
AM a Nigerian ,
I love Nigeria,
I will contribute my quota 2 make it great,
I will die a Nigerian,
I can die 4 Nigeria. -,
Hell yeah its worth living in
my candid opinion.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jun 26, 2015
kosovo:
Any time I discuss leaving the doomed and fucking country with my peeps, there are always mixed reactions, majority of them would say if I leave who would repair the country? Lol, Meanwhile when you know there is absolutely nothing that can be done to make this country any better than it is. so I need you to just tell me what you think. With over 64 million unemployed and under-employed people in the country we would be heading practically to a dead END. I only wish the SUPREME COURT can nullify the election of this unpopular president. Hehe MR PRESIDENT does not recognize president Mugabe,  lol, when he knows fully well that both of them came in to power through the same MASSIVE ELECTORAL FRAUD.  E very body is waiting for MR PRESIDENT to declare a STATE OF EMERGENCY ON THE POWER SECTOR, but if he does, will the wires start connecting it selves? Even looking at the investment sector we find most major Nigeria  companies lagging behind southafrica’s, GLO is behind MTN, Hitv is way behind DSTV, Zenith bank is also lagging behind STANDARD BANK .…………
In fact I don tire, this country na wa oooooooooooo. This country is not worth staying neither is worth wasting our precious human abilities and resources. Or is it?

Y did u close d poll so fast pls reopen I ve not voted oooo... I need 2 exercise my civic duty and right...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

OGD Banned To Hold Political Office For Life! / Delta Okays N37.3bn For Osubi Airstrip Upgrade / Photo Of The Day:Buhari To Impose Sharia Law On Nigerians If He Wins In 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.