Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:34 AM

Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? (5488 Views)

Poll: i will rather remain in nigeria

yes: 40% (32 votes)
no: 43% (34 votes)
undecided: 16% (13 votes)
This poll has ended

Is Nigeria Worth Dying For? / Total Makes Offshore Oil Discovery In Nigeria Worth 85,000 Barrels A Day / How Much Is Nigeria Worth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by madamkoko: 4:35pm On Jul 30, 2008
why we should attack people's belief in God instead of going after the man for his actions and words?

What the heck has that to do with dealing with Nigeria’s problem?

I'm telling you that I'm not attacking anyone's beliefs but I am attacking religious institutions that EXPLOIT the thought process of the masses.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by HCH3COO: 4:36pm On Jul 30, 2008
madamkoko:

I'm telling you that I'm not attacking anyone's beliefs but I am attacking religious institutions that EXPLOIT the thought process of the masses.
Your lack of involvement in a religious institution is exploiting your thought process.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by madamkoko: 4:40pm On Jul 30, 2008
I am PROUDLY NOT RELIGIOUS. grin grin grin grin
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by madamkoko: 4:42pm On Jul 30, 2008
I often go to Foursquare, Redeem but they're nothing more that Social institutions to me. They also provide me with inspirational words when needed.

Church is nothing more than that. I don't follow any pastor around, nor do I wait for a pastor to provide me with lifetime directions or tell me what to do.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by abdurrazaq(m): 4:43pm On Jul 30, 2008
@madamkoko, You're sounding like someone in my office grin grin
@topic, If you are happy with being oppressed, depressed, turn down any SAFE opportunity to leave Nigeria and remain patriotic. Let's see if your patriotism or the fear of being labelled COWARD will be enough for you to look back and say 'I have had a fulfilled life' at the end of your life.
But for me, I'm just looking for the right opportunity to get out of this country, call me a coward I don't mind. I have one life that has no duplicate or photocopy to experiment with and you expect me to stick with Nigeria when I have the chance to leave NO WAY!!!
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by sleekymag(m): 4:57pm On Jul 30, 2008
Knowledge is power. The bulk of Nigeria's problem lies in ignorance and the general mindset of the people (leaders inclusive). That's the area that needs to be addressed. Our policy formulators and executors (our leaders) really need to expand their vision for a fault-proof Nigeria of every one's dreams.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by syke80(f): 5:17pm On Jul 30, 2008
'when you know there is absolutely nothing that can be done to make this country any better than it is'
that sounds more like a pessimistic point of view to me, this country is a beautiful place (land of opportunities),wonderfully endowed with natural resources, the problem is just dat we have the wrong people in power. even the youths today still have same mentality,but the point i`m trying to make here is that in the face of all these challenges, we should not rule out the power of God,Something good can still come out of this country.Have u forgoten the case of Abacha in so short a time? but who ever tot things would take such drastic turns. so learn to trust a little, things wld get better, its just a matter of time.

1 Like

Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by syke80(f): 5:26pm On Jul 30, 2008
madamkoko, You're sounding like someone in my office
@topic, If you are happy with being oppressed, depressed, turn down any SAFE opportunity to leave Nigeria and remain patriotic. Let's see if your patriotism or the fear of being labelled COWARD will be enough for you to look back and say 'I have had a fulfilled life' at the end of your life.
But for me, I'm just looking for the right opportunity to get out of this country, call me a coward I don't mind. I have one life that has no duplicate or photocopy to experiment with and you expect me to stick with Nigeria when I have the chance to leave NO WAY!!![quote][/quote]

were are u runing 2 my bro, as dem talk " who no go no know" its worse out there. my brother try am, u go know say dat talk home sweet home na tru.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by abdurrazaq(m): 6:02pm On Jul 30, 2008
syke80:

were are u runing 2 my bro, as them talk " who no go no know" its worse out there. my brother try am, u go know say that talk home sweet home na tru.
Just let me get the opportunity, I will let you know. HOME IS SWEET FOR THOSE COMING FROM ABROAD FOR HOLIDAYS BUT FOR WE THE 'HOMMIES' . . . . . . . It's worse out there but, most people outside Nigeria see it as misfortune to come back and stay in Nigeria.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by madamkoko: 7:30pm On Jul 30, 2008
@abdurrazaq Na tru u talk. Experiences differ. Especially for those who are abroad and don't have legal work papers.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by kosovo(m): 5:44am On Jul 31, 2008
it seems we got lot of patroitic nigerians in da house.
i never tought anyody would like to stay in nigeria, but the poll results just keep me
wondering, huh? na wa oooooooo
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by Okijajuju1(m): 12:29am On Aug 01, 2008
I think most people here do not understand the question,

IS NIGERIA WORTH LIVING IN?? not WILL NIGERIA GET BETTER.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by vowiski(m): 6:26am On Aug 01, 2008
Okija_juju:

thats the same problem we have, nigerians keep beating about bush.
some even turned it to church and mosque grin
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by sleekymag(m): 10:33am On Aug 01, 2008

D polls show that people perfectly understand the question. And when you read in between the lines of various posts, it confirms their opinion. Yes, Nigeria is worth living in.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by Kobojunkie: 12:13pm On Aug 01, 2008
sleekymag:

D polls show that people perfectly understand the question. And when you read in between the lines of various posts, it confirms their opinion. Yes, Nigeria is worth living in.

I don't know if you and I are reading the same posts. The @Poster is right to ask the question again cause it does not seem many necessarily understand the question from the responses in here so far. No matter how much you try to insert inbetween the lines, there are still bleeding gaps between the questions and the answers posted by many on here so far.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by Okijajuju1(m): 12:41pm On Aug 01, 2008
And we wonder why Nigeria isnt worth living in, whe even we the populace see the problems and decide to read in between the lines.

Therapy session;

The first step to recovery is admitting there is a problem.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by sleekymag(m): 1:40pm On Aug 01, 2008
And we wonder why Nigeria isnt worth living in, whe even we the populace see the problems and decide to read in between the lines.

Therapy session;

The first step to recovery is admitting there is a problem.

Admitting there is a problem isn't the same as answering the question "Is Nigeria worth living in?"

I was tryin to post earlier opinions of various individuals that point to the fact that they answered the question (Yes it's worth living in, or no it's not, with their reasons) but for the network problems that made me loose the data. However reading pages 1 and 2 would show you that they understand the question. Moreover one person's post leads to a reaction from another and that makes issues drift here and there, the underlying fact still being that they understand what they are talking about.

Of course others have tried to look at possible causes of Nigeria's situation and others have tried to give their possible solution options, whether they are logical or not.

The opinion poll at the top of this page shows also that the question is being answered as there are more who favour Nigeria's worthiness than those who don't.

YES, NIGERIA IS WORTH LIVING IN (we'll get there someday).
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by Kobojunkie: 3:35pm On Aug 01, 2008
sleekymag:

Admitting there is a problem isn't the same as answering the question "Is Nigeria worth living in?"

I was tryin to post earlier opinions of various individuals that point to the fact that they answered the question (Yes it's worth living in, or no it's not, with their reasons) but for the network problems that made me loose the data. However reading pages 1 and 2 would show you that they understand the question. Moreover one person's post leads to a reaction from another and that makes issues drift here and there, the underlying fact still being that they understand what they are talking about.

Of course others have tried to look at possible causes of Nigeria's situation and others have tried to give their possible solution options, whether they are logical or not.

The opinion poll at the top of this page shows also that the question is being answered as there are more who favour Nigeria's worthiness than those who don't.

Now that shows you do not even understand the question yourslef, ROFLMAO!!! After all that mouthfull, you come back with that ?? Are you kidding me?? LMAO!!!
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by sleekymag(m): 3:48pm On Aug 01, 2008
Now that shows you do not even understand the question yourslef, ROFLMAO!!! After all that mouthfull, you come back with that ?? Are you kidding me?? LMAO!!!

What more were you expecting me to say?

What more were you expecting? You just don't want to give the impression that your accusations are baseless, do you?
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by Kobojunkie: 5:19pm On Aug 01, 2008
sleekymag:

What more were you expecting me to say?

What more were you expecting? You just don't want to give the impression that your accusations are baseless, do you?

Well,  following your answer with WE'LL GET THERE SOMEDAY already answers the question more than you know. It clearly shows that you do not believe it is worth LIVING in presently but you are hopeful that it will be someday. Or was that not your intention when you posted that response?

IS -- refers to the present

WILL --- refers to the future
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by vowiski(m): 9:47pm On Aug 01, 2008
some people are just obviously getting DUMB! by the day
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by manmustwac(m): 11:20pm On Aug 01, 2008
I agree with madamkoko i believe religion has a lot to with nigeria's problems because instead of people demonstrating or protesting like what happened in the french revolution in the 19th century. They will rather read their bible have faith and pray for God to do a miracle

@post
nigeria is not worth living in
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by Kobojunkie: 12:09am On Aug 02, 2008
manmustwac:

I agree with madamkoko i believe religion has a lot to with nigeria's problems because instead of people demonstrating or protesting like what happened in the french revolution in the 19th century. They will rather read their bible have faith and pray for God to do a miracle

@post
nigeria is not worth living in

There are many other religious countries out there where people also have faith, pray for God to do miracles that do not have the same peculiar problem Nigeria has to date. Why does Religion have to take the blame in Nigeria's case?
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by manmustwac(m): 8:58am On Aug 02, 2008
Kobojunkie:

There are many other religious countries out there where people also have faith, pray for God to do miracles that do not have the same peculiar problem Nigeria has to date. Why does Religion have to take the blame in Nigeria's case?
because nigerians put to much faith in words for example prayers and the bible Theres a saying that actions speak louder than words

nigeria needs action not words
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by Kobojunkie: 11:50am On Aug 02, 2008
manmustwac:

because nigerians put to much faith in words for example prayers and the bible Theres a saying that actions speak louder than words

nigeria needs action not words

Well, even the Bible says it over and over that Action speaks louder than words. So If Nigerians are the people who continue to, even with instruction that tells them otherwise, put faith in words, does that not then mean it is not religion to blame but the gullibility of the people?
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by manmustwac(m): 1:32pm On Aug 02, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Well, even the Bible says it over and over that Action speaks louder than words. So If Nigerians are the people who continue to, even with instruction that tells them otherwise, put faith in words, does that not then mean it is not religion to blame but the gullibility of the people?
Yes well then their gullible because their blinded by their blind faith when there should be nationwide strikes and demonstrations throughout the country to make this country worth living in.

Nigeria no go better
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by Omereni: 5:27am On Aug 03, 2008
Nigeria is a great country. The problem is human greed.recovery for the country will begin when we look out for the well being of others rather than our own
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by IykeD1(m): 2:10pm On Aug 03, 2008

But you are a Nigerian, and if you decide to run out of this country and try to pretend you are happy in a foreign land, then
you are definitely living in denial.
Nigeria is a place where only the strong can survive, and it always makes me laugh when
people who don’t even have the guts to try, stay in whatever ‘virtual haven’ they’ve created for themselves and complain about
the state of things here. Maybe when we realize that our major problem is cowardice, then we can start addressing these issues.

It’s the people that make the county; if there’s nothing worthwhile here in Nigeria, it implies that every one of us is not playing
our parts well. If Nigeria is not worth living in, it means we have failed as citizens of Nigeria.

Before you guys crucify me, just remember that its just my opinion, you can prove me wrong, but not by posting on Nairaland.

Please, are you speaking from experience? Are you in denial that there are loads of Nigerians who are very happy living in foreign
lands? As for me, I am very happy where I am, and NO I am not in denial. Nigeria has very little to offer me besides old sentiments.
Someone put up a long list of questions on how to grade living in Nigeria and as he rightfully observed later, no one had bothered
to respond to them point by point. Before you ask me what I have done for Nigeria, please be kind enough to list your own personal
contribution to Nigeria.

Obviously our motherland is our motherland, there is no question about that, but that is all Nigeria is for must of us. It is a failed
country and its future prospects if judged by the quality of leadership it has been able to assemble till date is very bleak to put it
mildly. I am sure there are those who love living in Nigeria out of choice (good for them) and there will be those who have no other
choice but to remain and make the best out of a very hopeless situation. Nigeria will just remain Nigeria, a very promising but a
completely failed nation.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by papadims: 2:27pm On Aug 03, 2008
NIGERIA IS A GREAT COUNTRY,

agreed, this country has a lot of challenges and most times nothing seems to be working. but we must all realize and accept the fact that every country has her challenge. if every runs out of the country, who will repair the "damages" noted.

i think our heart desires should be how to correct these lapses. at least we have all attested to the fact that we some improvement in the country.

WHAT HAVE WE ALL CONTRIBUTED TOWARDS MOVING THE NATION FOWARD[b][/b]
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by madamkoko: 2:44pm On Aug 03, 2008
Omereni:

Nigeria is a great country. [b]The problem is human greed.[/b]recovery for the country will begin when we look out for the well being of others rather than our own

Its extremely easy to label "greeed" as Nigeria's problem. Don't forget that every government is corrupt.  Nigeria's problem is that the PEOPLE DO NOT HOLD THIER GOVERNMENT ACCOUTABLE FOR ANYTHING. 'Wé'd rather run abroad. (I blame the lack of accountability on the strong influence of RELIGION)

Look at the riots that took place in America in the 1960s: radical action or the recent riots that took place in South Africa: radical action, or the Labor riots that took place in China (in 1999, I believe) it caught the attention of the government that they wanted change. No ONE IN NIGERIA is willing to die for freedom. We'would rather RUN. As long as we keep running CHANGE WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

Is Nigeria worth living in? NO.

I like good health care
I like electricity
I like  my basic ammenities that the country may not be able to provide.

Is Nigeria worth visiting? Yes, Yes, Yes!!!!   grin grin grin
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by madamkoko: 2:50pm On Aug 03, 2008
WHAT HAVE WE ALL CONTRIBUTED TOWARDS MOVING THE NATION FOWARD ?

I feel like I keep hearing the same questions over and over again. over and over again.

The only meaningful contribution you can have in Nigeria is to start your own business (reduce unemployment by hiring people and actually paying them a salary and have them pump money back into the economy) or start your own church and (exploit people's stupidity)

OR you can join the corrupt government.

REAL CHANGE can only begin when the masses, the people (BEGIN TO HOLD THIER GOVERNMENT ACCOUNTABLE) this means riots, radical activism, and maybe the death of a few heros for our freedom.

Nigeria needs the IRON HAND.  grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by madamkoko: 2:53pm On Aug 03, 2008
Why is Obasanjo is walking around the streets of Nigeria?

He should be in the grave.

In fact, in 2006 an international NGO recognized Obasanjo for helping Nigeria (was awarded for his humanitarianism) , ahahahahaha. I attend the gala and wanted to melt.

Obasanjo should be dead, assasinated, murdered, stoned to death, buried alive, in kirikiri,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Has Anybody Considered Ojo Madueke For President. / US Approves First Over-the-counter HIV Test / FG Approves 40 Firms For Q3 Petrol Importation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.