Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,908 members, 7,814,070 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:29 AM

What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name (11227 Views)

Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance / Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe / What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Tb2: 4:50am On Dec 09, 2013
Emmyk: Alright.
It's not like I even understand you tho.

Sorry for not being clear. What is the meaning behind your ethnic tribe name?
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by musiwa112: 4:58am On Dec 09, 2013
my name is the origin of the whole Yoruba race.

My name means the origin, culture, religion of Yoruba people, because I am from the family of the first child of oduduwa.

ADEmusiwa

Many people dont know that the family of the first child of oduduwa exist and are still alive.

that first child was my great great great great great greeeeeeeeeat grandfather

ki la fe oba pe
oba o
oba la se
oba

oba to to bi oro
oba o
oba la se
oba

oba to wewu oru
oba o
oba la se
oba

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Nobody: 6:40am On Dec 09, 2013
musiwa112: my name is the origin of the whole Yoruba race.

My name means the origin, culture, religion of Yoruba people, because I am from the family of the first child of oduduwa.

ADEmusiwa

Many people dont know that the family of the first child of oduduwa exist and are still alive.

that first child was my great great great great great greeeeeeeeeat grandfather

ki la fe oba pe
oba o
oba la se
oba

oba to to bi oro
oba o
oba la se
oba

oba to wewu oru
oba o
oba la se
oba

Werey!! grin grin
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Nigeriakan: 7:16am On Dec 09, 2013
I'm a Yoruba. The word 'Yoruba' has come to stay as brand name for a well-known Nigerian triba and popular language beside. Historieans and griots have a thousand and one accounts for the name's origin. The most popular of them is that which holds that it has its root in the Arab cum Hebrew name, 'Yar' ba', which metamorphosed to its present nativised form -Yoruba. Yoruba has a huge onomastic significance to its bearers and speakers - it signifies our life, love, unity, empire, oneness, brotherhood, culture, tradition, history and a lot more.
I can really help you do a linguistic and cultural detail of Yoruba. You can contact me on Nigeriakan@gmail.com
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Nimen(m): 7:18am On Dec 09, 2013
T.b-2:

Thanks for your response. I want to know meaning of your ethnic group name. I should have been more clear in my ***WORDING***. Thanks for sharing the names you provided.

FOR an American your use of English is poor.
Buh don't worry there are more than fifty Tribes in Nigeria only so i believe by the time you're through, you'll be scratching your ears. cheesy cheesy You would have gone for smaller nations not Nigeria. What you sourcing these information for? By the way?
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Nobody: 7:38am On Dec 09, 2013
django1: There is definitely a spirit of gbagaun operating freely on this thread. grin

hahahahahahahahaha.
seriously.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Agrika: 8:08am On Dec 09, 2013
I dont even get your question, what do u want to know, the name of my ethnic group, its history or just my tribal name
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by ojoko1(m): 9:21am On Dec 09, 2013
My own is Hawusa (Wall nut)
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Tbken: 9:54am On Dec 09, 2013
T.b-2:

Sorry for not being clear. What is the meaning behind your ethnic tribe name?
You are not an american...black,yellow or white you are not and stop fooling your self because you wudnt get anything...btw ur thread got to frontpage...onye ara
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Artless360(m): 11:53am On Dec 09, 2013
Speaking frm d noble tribe of GADE(babye)

here

paentin 'whc meanz gud work
egabour whc meanz gud fortune

i luv my lang
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Nobody: 1:52pm On Dec 09, 2013
I have observed that over a couple of weekends now, I have been seeing threads on topics related to "which part of the country one stays", "state of origin", "school attended" etc.

Please people these may seem harmless, but I am certain with tiny bits of such info here and there someone can actually build one's profile accurately. I am not trying to scare anyone but to my people on NL this is online forum, anyone could be anything.

So for heaven sake be mindful of the info you let out online.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Tb2: 5:33pm On Dec 09, 2013
Nimen:

FOR an American your use of English is poor.
Buh don't worry there are more than fifty Tribes in Nigeria only so i believe by the time you're through, you'll be scratching your ears. cheesy cheesy You would have gone for smaller nations not Nigeria. What you sourcing these information for? By the way?

Thanks...forgive my grammar... any and all info is appreciated. I am using it as a means for studying. I'll know what the ethnic group name means along with its history (once I learn it)...all in all I'm trying to learn and have some knowledge about African ethnic groups. West African in particular because I Black American and most of the slaves taken came from that area.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Tb2: 5:39pm On Dec 09, 2013
Tbken: You are not an american...black,yellow or white you are not and stop fooling your self because you wudnt get anything...btw ur thread got to frontpage...onye ara

I have no control over the front page. I signed up and posted my question.... I am American (Black). I have no reason to lie.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Tb2: 5:44pm On Dec 09, 2013
Agrika: I dont even get your question, what do u want to know, the name of my ethnic group, its history or just my tribal name

sorry for not being clear....I would like to know your ethnic group name and its meaning.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Birma5(m): 11:11pm On Dec 09, 2013
heo88:

Thanks for the insight, out of interest are you're group mostly muslim? Also do you speak hausa or kanuri as well?
Well i can say the Christians are the majority like 60% and Muslims 35% with a small percentage practicing the traditional religion of the Bura people, as for the language almost everybody understands Hausa with a few exceptions among the really old folks, but this is not so with the Kanuri language. Its kind of like everbody speaks their own language and then Hausa alongside; which is a universal language in the north.

Thanks for your interest! and i'd be happy to answer any more questions

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Tbken: 11:49pm On Dec 09, 2013
T.b-2:

I have no control over the front page. I signed up and posted my question.... I am American (Black). I have no reason to lie.
ok sorry i have nothing to offer you, Good luck in your research,There are three countries in Nigeria,Just in case.....
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by musiwa112: 4:29am On Dec 10, 2013
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by musiwa112: 4:49am On Dec 10, 2013
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by musiwa112: 5:01am On Dec 10, 2013
look at this picture, do you think we have no justice cause to seek international help.

who do you think i was ... do not compare me with tinubu, they will go and burn down anything he own, if he cross our people path for freedom. this is how some of them are mad..

www.nairaland.com/attachments/212092_fff91_JPGa13fe49920245c816f4b0ae661a31f0a
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by musiwa112: 7:15am On Dec 10, 2013
django1, to ba se mi ile yoruba, won ma pe so nu ni. a ki bi nu omi.
ota oba ki gbe ile aiye.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Nobody: 9:08am On Dec 10, 2013
musiwa112: django1, to ba se mi ile yoruba, won ma pe so nu ni. a ki bi nu omi.
ota oba ki gbe ile aiye.

Musiwa, even wetin you write for Yoruba no make sense.

Guy, stay off that shisha.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Nobody: 11:33am On Dec 10, 2013
musiwa112: look at this picture, do you think we have no justice cause to seek international help.

who do you think i was ... do not compare me with tinubu, they will go and burn down anything he own, if he cross our people path for freedom. this is how some of them are mad..

www.nairaland.com/attachments/212092_fff91_JPGa13fe49920245c816f4b0ae661a31f0a

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Does “akanda”/“akanda Omo” In Yorubaland Mean? / Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? / What Is The Pidgin Translation Of Your Native Name?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.