Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,294 members, 7,836,286 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:54 AM

What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name (11289 Views)

Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance / Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe / What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Noneroone(m): 8:34pm On Dec 08, 2013
Afam4eva: I don't know the meaning of my tribe ethnic group IGBO.
I GO BEFORE OTHERS

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Nobody: 8:43pm On Dec 08, 2013
eguity&justice:
if u dont know it, dont comment. u grew up in town does mean u should not anythoing about ur tribe. ur pround to say u dont know it. township guy.

I know your type, I've met your type. say whatever you like bro, would it change the fact that I don't know?

I'm not proud that I don't, but I'm not afraid to say it either. Its not a lie that he would not get accurate info on here and its evident from the replies on the 1st page.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Kudylata(f): 8:46pm On Dec 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
I never knew there was a tribe call Babatunde in Nigeria.
lwkmd. now you know.
Afam4eva:
lwkmd. now you know.
Afam4eva:
lwkmd. now you know.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Kudylata(f): 8:46pm On Dec 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by modidd(m): 8:51pm On Dec 08, 2013
What is the meaning of space book?
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by mazizitonene(m): 9:03pm On Dec 08, 2013
modidd: What is the meaning of space book?
U book a space so that u can resell it
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Nobody: 9:11pm On Dec 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
grin
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by azimibraun: 9:35pm On Dec 08, 2013
Abeg is " Obago" an igbo name or word? because I hear that gangstar rapper Phyno dey shout am for him song. Werin " Obago" mean? Na weed... Sorry igbo ppl I dey ask o!
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Tb2: 9:39pm On Dec 08, 2013
einsteino: i want to believe what u are calling tribal name, is native name.

to us it is the name that guides our path in life hence its meaning is very important. Also its meaning could depend on the circumstances the family or nation was passing through when the child was delivered. Our native names are actually sentences but we shorten it for conveniency sake(though its true meaning cannot be understood in its short form). We organise a splendid naming ceremony when we about to name a child, in my place the grandparents do the naming(native name) especially if it is the first child while We leave the english name to the parents

The president's native name is ebele azikiwe(ebele means mercy, he was named azikiwe by his grandmother because at the time azikiwe was President and she wanted her grandson to be president someday)

My obi's name(the dein(monarch) of agbor) is keagborkuzi(meaning what will agbor say again.. His dad was obviously tired of criticsms)

My native name is ikponmwosa(meaning i thank God)

My younger brother's is oghogho(meaning happiness)

My cousins name is onyemekeihia(its meaning is better translated to pidgin than engllish.. It means if u too do pesin, u go do yourself)

Thanks for your response. I want to know meaning of your ethnic group name. I should have been more clear in my wording. Thanks for sharing the names you provided.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Birma5(m): 9:43pm On Dec 08, 2013
tellwisdom:

Guy, na you dey bomb our country abi?? angry
it might actually surprise you that there are indigenous northerners who are Christians, its not everybody in the north that is a muslim.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Nobody: 9:44pm On Dec 08, 2013
Preceedo: We too have been trying to know the significace of some american names pls, what do these names mean:

washington, michigan, okhaloma, ohio, iowa, indiana, alabama, hawaii, illinois, alaska,wyoming etc

2. Why do most americans bear silly names like.

Bill GATES, charles GABAGGE, george BUSH, etc

!
Ogui eke: mine is "uzoenuigwe" meaning heavenly GATE or ROAD to HeaVEN. its my igbo native name.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by azimibraun: 9:46pm On Dec 08, 2013
Anikulapo, Alapo Meji, Egberipapa, Osinanwata buru ogaranya, omobabaolowo, Alapo plenty, who else remain again sef? Na musician dem sabu carry dos names
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Tb2: 9:46pm On Dec 08, 2013
anselm791: Really? First topic and you made front page? Well I think we know why. Anyway before the british invasion, we had a lot of cool stuffs which were all taken, but one thing we refused to give, our name, is the only thing that reminds us today of where we are coming from.

I just posted my question...I have no idea the order of things. Thanks for the info
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Tb2: 9:52pm On Dec 08, 2013
144: @ OP do I hear you say An American, wat is your mission! If you have good mission you brief on your own culture if you don't have idea give us historical account of your so called American ppl, starting from era O̶̷̊͡ƒ red indian. Its not African one can make a study off, you can study about America and we too want to study of your own ppl only that money to process visa is too high. Am tired O̶̷̊͡ƒ †ђξ fact that west paint us black all †ђξ tyme

Sorry. I am American (black). I can give you the historical account of America's beginning but it probably won't be anything you haven't heard before.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by azimibraun: 9:55pm On Dec 08, 2013
Wait o! Hw cum Igbo(tribe) and Igbo (weed) get dsame spelling and diffrent pronounciation? Uwaka shgege na hausa abi? Na which tribe get Igbo(weed) because I knw say na hausa get (Reke) sugar cane. And again na who organise dis legendary collabo btwn yoruba and hausa wey work so well" Olebararwo" as in Ole thief in yoruba and Barawo thief in hausa. Oya I dey wait o!
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by tucee31: 9:57pm On Dec 08, 2013
I taya for dis op question sha.
What do u really want to know?
Cultures, names, bla bla...its when u stay long enof in d country dat u will get d right answers!
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Nobody: 10:02pm On Dec 08, 2013
@OP

Nigerians are very shady about anything that has to do with their country. You are not going to get the right answers here. The best thing to do is to carrying out a thorough research on your own by gathering information online and from social network users. I don't know why they cry fouls when you talk about their poor development and the bad things in African society.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by babadem2much(m): 10:04pm On Dec 08, 2013
2yrs jail term. Gbam all rise

nerodenero: You don buy job!
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by heo88(m): 10:13pm On Dec 08, 2013
BimiOne: I am representing a popular tribe in the northern part of Nigeria, more specifically Borno state, the tribe is known as BURA, dominant names in the culture of this tribe include

BIRMA- Meaning Prince which is used as a name or title.

HYELADZIRA- Emmanuel which means God is with us.

HARAHYEL- the handwork of God.

HYELHIRA- God loves me.

LEMSU- Blessing

HYELNI- God gave me.

HIRHYEL- God's love.

SHIKTRA- comfort.

AKLAHYEL- belonging to God.
The
Pheeew!
Just to mention a few.

Thanks for the insight, out of interest are you're group mostly muslim? Also do you speak hausa or kanuri as well?
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by gbaskiboy: 10:37pm On Dec 08, 2013
Representing a tribe in enugu south east nigeria. CHUKWUEMEKA mean THANKGOD... Always thankful to baba na ni....
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Tb2: 11:02pm On Dec 08, 2013
Phoenix619:

I would like to know for starters why you wanna know

I started doing more research into African culture. I want a better understanding. I did some research on varies tribes in different regions for instance the Sudan, I found some meanings such as the Luo (followers), Anuak (sharing) and Dinka (people). South Africa: Zulu (Heaven) and Xhosa (angry men). Republic of Congo: Kongo (hunters)

My intention is to know who the people are. Since most of the people taken during the slave trade came from West Africa I figure it would be appropriate for me to begin learning more from the cultures there.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by otunlexy(m): 11:48pm On Dec 08, 2013
Preceedo: We too have been trying to know the significace of some american names pls, what do these names mean:

washington, michigan, okhaloma, ohio, iowa, indiana, alabama, hawaii, illinois, alaska,wyoming etc

2. Why do most americans bear silly names like.

Bill GATES, charles GABAGGE, george BUSH, etc
Oda names like..taylor,parker,whitehead townsend etc
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by phase1: 11:49pm On Dec 08, 2013
Nd'igbo means people of olden times. Igbos have existed for thousands of years B.C. Read about the Igbo roped Pot.

Some tribes don't know the meaning of their name. They adopted names given to them by people from the north.

*singing* If i say 'Yo'....you say 'ru'....another man say 'ba'.... Omo na you sabi. grin

*na joke o* cheesy

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Tbken: 12:42am On Dec 09, 2013
Afam4eva: I don't know the meaning of my tribe ethnic group IGBO.
Then kip mute when you find out the meaning you'll come back and comment..Or are you expecting the Op to tell you the meaning....Learner!!!
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by redsun(m): 1:15am On Dec 09, 2013
A name identifies you,it says who you are without saying a word. It shows whether some one is colonized,enslaved,indoctrinated or original.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by redsun(m): 1:33am On Dec 09, 2013
tucee31: I taya for dis op question sha.
What do u really want to know?
Cultures, names, bla bla...its when u stay long enof in d country dat u will get d right answers

Some African Americas understands the significance of names and what it means to them as descendants of free African slaves and their heritage as Africans in exile. Some of them try to combine words that sound African but with no exact African meaning,as long as it is not Samuel or Johnson,i.e, shakur or kanye.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by kraftykc(m): 2:02am On Dec 09, 2013
My tribe's name is Igbo. It is also another name for weed (cannabis).

Daz all!
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by SpcAgtOko: 3:37am On Dec 09, 2013
Castos: Mine is IGBO(weed)

Funny grin grin
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by pussyeater(m): 3:39am On Dec 09, 2013
otunlexy:
Oda names like..taylor,parker,whitehead townsend etc
Carpenter, Shoemaker
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Nobody: 4:14am On Dec 09, 2013
Darod Ismaeel Al-Jabarti the name itself sounds magnificent grin
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Tb2: 4:45am On Dec 09, 2013
de-moore:
[right][/right][/size][size=8pt][/color][color=#990000] America my foot. Omo yoruba....
America my foot. Omo yoruba....
America my foot. Omo yoruba....

I am American (black). I am not trying to deceive you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? / Book On The Ibibio Culture / BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.