Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,220 members, 7,836,065 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:15 PM

What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name (11288 Views)

Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance / Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe / What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Nobody: 7:19pm On Dec 08, 2013
LadyH: fo real sha...dis mata nor too clear. undecided

Which tribe you from?
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by anselm791(m): 7:19pm On Dec 08, 2013
Really? First topic and you made front page? Well I think we know why. Anyway before the british invasion, we had a lot of cool stuffs which were all taken, but one thing we refused to give, our name, is the only thing that reminds us today of where we are coming from.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by njuwo(m): 7:20pm On Dec 08, 2013
Mine is Oghenefegor meaning we must serve God. It is an Isoko name. A tribe in Delta state Niger Delta South South Nigeria West africa Africa worldwide.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Nobody: 7:20pm On Dec 08, 2013
Preceedo: We too have been trying to know the significace of some american names pls, what do these names mean:

washington, michigan, okhaloma, ohio, iowa, indiana, alabama, hawaii, illinois, alaska,wyoming etc

2. Why do most americans bear silly names like.

Bill GATES, charles GABAGGE, george BUSH, etc
Seconded
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by ichommy(m): 7:20pm On Dec 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
I never knew there was a tribe call Babatunde in Nigeria.

So you don't know that My Surname is tribe name? Haba.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by MrFlexible(m): 7:21pm On Dec 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
I never knew there was a tribe call Babatunde in Nigeria.

Are you even paying attention to moscobab..
See his username sef. The guy is just a mofucking pervert.

@OP,

Welcome, have you been to warri?.. The capital of Nigeria and of the world there. If you can learn and pronounce the names in that region, then you have finished learning.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Castos(m): 7:23pm On Dec 08, 2013
LadyH: grin
I just said HI
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by einsteino(m): 7:24pm On Dec 08, 2013
i want to believe what u are calling tribal name, is native name.

to us it is the name that guides our path in life hence its meaning is very important. Also its meaning could depend on the circumstances the family or nation was passing through when the child was delivered. Our native names are actually sentences but we shorten it for conveniency sake(though its true meaning cannot be understood in its short form). We organise a splendid naming ceremony when we about to name a child, in my place the grandparents do the naming(native name) especially if it is the first child while We leave the english name to the parents

The president's native name is ebele azikiwe(ebele means mercy, he was named azikiwe by his grandmother because at the time azikiwe was President and she wanted her grandson to be president someday)

My obi's name(the dein(monarch) of agbor) is keagborkuzi(meaning what will agbor say again.. His dad was obviously tired of criticsms)

My native name is ikponmwosa(meaning i thank God)

My younger brother's is oghogho(meaning happiness)

My cousins name is onyemekeihia(its meaning is better translated to pidgin than engllish.. It means if u too do pesin, u go do yourself)

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Blessmira: 7:25pm On Dec 08, 2013
I can see dt som pple ar confused abt d issue here. Pls try to understand d OP.
BRB cheesy My church neva dismiss cheesy

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by anselm791(m): 7:25pm On Dec 08, 2013
ichommy: Brb, let me console Ifa if I should talk to you. consoling Ifa *Carry Opele, Ifa Olokun Asoro Dayo Waju Opon ogbo olukurin lotun olukurin losi arin opon ohun orun mafibi fore more fo ibi mafi ololo fohun* Oya. OP, bring out Dollar and talk to Ifa. *Ba ifa ni gbolohun*

OP, My tribe name is Adekunmi meaning *Crown Join me* Royal Family.

You mean CONSULT? O boy, no dey fall our hands, Oyibo dey here.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Nobody: 7:25pm On Dec 08, 2013
T.b-2:
Greetings to all at Nairaland

I am trying to learn about Nigerian cultures, which has brought me here. I am American with a limited understanding about African way of life. so I figured I can start here to obtain some knowledge. Please forgive my ignorance concerning Nigerian culture. Only thing I truly know pertaining to Africa is what I have read up on or seen on television. I know there are different groups in Nigeria and many of them I am not even aware of so all representatives provide your input.

What I would like to know for starters is the meaning behind the different tribe names in Nigeria? Could you provide a brief summary of the name's significance.

I would like to know for starters why you wanna know
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by anselm791(m): 7:28pm On Dec 08, 2013
If this is school, na so una go fail, can someone read the OP's question out loud? You might understand if you hear it.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Nobody: 7:30pm On Dec 08, 2013
There is definitely a spirit of gbagaun operating freely on this thread. grin
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by tellwisdom: 7:32pm On Dec 08, 2013
BimiOne: I am representing a popular tribe in the northern part of Nigeria, more specifically Borno state, the tribe is known as BURA, dominant names in the culture of this tribe include

BIRMA- Meaning Prince which is used as a name or title.

HYELADZIRA- Emmanuel which means God is with us.

HARAHYEL- the handwork of God.

HYELHIRA- God loves me.

LEMSU- Blessing

HYELNI- God gave me.

HIRHYEL- God's love.

SHIKTRA- comfort.

AKLAHYEL- belonging to God.

Pheeew!
Just to mention a few.

Guy, na you dey bomb our country abi?? angry

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by udemzyudex(m): 7:32pm On Dec 08, 2013
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Castos(m): 7:33pm On Dec 08, 2013
django1: There is definitely a spirit of gbagaun operating freely on this thread. grin

All of them na IGBO(weed) products.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by 144(m): 7:43pm On Dec 08, 2013
@ OP do I hear you say An American, wat is your mission! If you have good mission you brief on your own culture if you don't have idea give us historical account of your so called American ppl, starting from era O̶̷̊͡ƒ red indian. Its not African one can make a study off, you can study about America and we too want to study of your own ppl only that money to process visa is too high. Am tired O̶̷̊͡ƒ †ђξ fact that west paint us black all †ђξ tyme
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Nobody: 7:44pm On Dec 08, 2013
BTW, how do we know this character is who he says he his? I mean, new account, 1post and 1topic and bamm front page? Something is not right.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Nobody: 7:45pm On Dec 08, 2013
Me 'm From Imo State from Ideato South from Isiekenesi from Dimagu which means Husband of Lion..
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by mazizitonene(m): 7:48pm On Dec 08, 2013
T.b-2:

What I would like to know for starters is the meaning behind the different tribe names in Nigeria? Could you provide a brief summary of the name's significance.
What's the meaning/significance of your english name ?

Btw....where are you from, what's the meaning/significance of your native name and oda tribe names in ur place?
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by ukukaegbu(m): 7:51pm On Dec 08, 2013
OP; Why don't u start by telling us the meaning of 'America'
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by demoore1(m): 7:58pm On Dec 08, 2013
America my foot. Omo yoruba....
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by demoore1(m): 8:01pm On Dec 08, 2013
[right][/right][/size][size=8pt][/color][color=#990000]
T.b-2:

I am trying to learn about Nigerian cultures, which has brought me here. I am American with a limited understanding about African way of life. so I figured I can start here to obtain some knowledge. Please forgive my ignorance concerning Nigerian culture. Only thing I truly know pertaining to Africa is what I have read up on or seen on television. I know there are different groups in Nigeria and many of them I am not even aware of so all representatives provide your input.

T.b-2:

T.b-2:

Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by chiketee(m): 8:04pm On Dec 08, 2013
This thread clearly shows that most ppl on this forum have comprehension issues. The op wants to find out d meaning of the name of ur tribe and someone is busy telling us about babatunde undecided
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by babsomotde(m): 8:04pm On Dec 08, 2013
My tribe name literal meaning is "Child is equivalent to Joy". Yoruba Boy To The Core...
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by einsteino(m): 8:15pm On Dec 08, 2013
oh my bad, you meant the name of my tribe. mehn that is quite difficult... perhaps i should do some research myself

einsteino: i want to believe what u are calling tribal name, is native name.

to us it is the name that guides our path in life hence its meaning is very important. Also its meaning could depend on the circumstances the family or nation was passing through when the child was delivered. Our native names are actually sentences but we shorten it for conveniency sake(though its true meaning cannot be understood in its short form). We organise a splendid naming ceremony when we about to name a child, in my place the grandparents do the naming(native name) especially if it is the first child while We leave the english name to the parents

The president's native name is ebele azikiwe(ebele means mercy, he was named azikiwe by his grandmother because at the time azikiwe was President and she wanted her grandson to be president someday)

My obi's name(the dein(monarch) of agbor) is keagborkuzi(meaning what will agbor say again.. His dad was obviously tired of criticsms)

My native name is ikponmwosa(meaning i thank God)

My younger brother's is oghogho(meaning happiness)

My cousins name is onyemekeihia(its meaning is better translated to pidgin than engllish.. It means if u too do pesin, u go do yourself)

Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by Nobody: 8:16pm On Dec 08, 2013
anselm791:

You mean CONSULT? O boy, no dey fall our hands, Oyibo dey here.
cheesy cheesy grin
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by eguityjustice(m): 8:24pm On Dec 08, 2013
Promhize: You must likely won't get adequate, accurate information here, cos I for one I'm igbo and don't the meaning, same thing with most youths except those that grew up with their grandparents or in the village.

The significance hmm, can't really say anything about that except for the 'bias' favour you receive from ur fellow tribesmen.
if u dont know it, dont comment. u grew up in town does mean u should not anythoing about ur tribe. ur pround to say u dont know it. township guy.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by LadyH(f): 8:24pm On Dec 08, 2013
Phoenix619:

Which tribe you from?
darriz nuh my issue oga.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name by LadyH(f): 8:25pm On Dec 08, 2013
Castos: I just said HI
lol. im aware..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? / Book On The Ibibio Culture / BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.