Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,607 members, 7,809,220 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:46 AM

Are Employers Being Fair?? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Are Employers Being Fair?? (6692 Views)

ICS Talent Bank: Biggest Job Fair In West Africa / Best FREE CV Formats To Make You Stand Out To Employers / Do Employers Ask For Payslip Or Bank Statement Of Account? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Employers Being Fair?? by alaricsaltzman: 12:19pm On Dec 08, 2013
happy sunday pals!

wanna hear your opinions on something i feel is unfair(my opinion ooo). Do you think employers that demand a minimum of second class upper in any field which makes someone ineligible to apply for a job are being fair considering the fact that some courses offered in school are harder than others. though every course is hard in its own way but let us be realistic here, you can't compare engineering/industrial chemistry to linguistics/english. yet someone with a 2'1 in the latter has advantage over someone with a 2'2 in the former, both applying for the same job, afterall they will be trained.

discuss your take on this...

*modified* i no be like pple wey shout say dem don make frontpage ooo...bt i need to acknowledge dis one as per first tym tinz wink wink grin grin

1 Like

Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by ejiykzazi2007(m): 12:42pm On Dec 08, 2013
Its unfair but its done to reduce d population of applicants. I hear somtym ago that 13 vacancies existed for 2.1 graduates but ova 8000 applied, den imagine if both 2.2 were ask to apply too.

1 Like

Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by alaricsaltzman: 9:15am On Dec 09, 2013
they should at least specify the courses...its not by what u graduated wiv na...pple buy their way thru sch
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by Nobody: 10:20am On Dec 09, 2013
Why would someone who studied English and someone who studied Engineering be applying for the same job? Unless the employers are hiring for other skills like - comm skills, leadership skills, initiative, astute deduction etc.... and whatever they studied is irrelevant.

All considered, employers have the right to set their standards. As long as the desired is available, they don't have to make do with less. It's up to job seekers to keep up with competition.

3 Likes

Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by ednut1(m): 11:23am On Dec 09, 2013
blame ova population, imagine u own a company nd put advert for 5 positions nd 100000 pple send cv hw do u conduct test nd evaluate dm, dats y u wil see age. grade tins to reduce applicants, blame govt 4 nt creatin enablin environment 4 industries nd our parents 4 ovapopulation. mean while d 2.1 dnt guarantee job

1 Like

Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by topygel: 12:16pm On Dec 09, 2013
Employers have the right to choose the class of degree that seems apprioprate to them, don't you consider the situation where applicants who were equally qualified for a particular possition stated in a job advert are not being called for an apptitude test?
That is the only case where it is unfair in their usual practice, but for saying minimum of 2.1 should apply depends on what an employer desires which should be obeyed when applying for job.

1 Like

Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by Ptoocool(m): 12:45pm On Dec 09, 2013
Am cumin'

1 Like

Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by DonColz1(m): 12:46pm On Dec 09, 2013
No, Employers are Black

2 Likes

Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Dec 09, 2013
It's their loss. How many of those who have the 2.1 can actually defend it? Most of them just buy results or pay their way to school, it's still a "garbage in garbage out" thing.

1 Like

Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by zignor(m): 12:48pm On Dec 09, 2013
Ptoocool: Am cumin'

cum here nah grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by bigx(m): 12:50pm On Dec 09, 2013
too many people are going to school

too many people are getting good grades (hook or crook)

recruitment is an expensive process (ask anyone in HR or who owns a Company)

Setting the Bar High is a way of ensuring they deal with less people and are likely to get people who are worth the grades.

If you feel you want to be employed get good grades and stop complaining (it's not a guarantee but it increases your chances)

4 Likes

Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by BabaAlabi: 12:51pm On Dec 09, 2013
Humans are designed to take advantage of others. It's not wickedness or unfair but just human nature. Some girls know that guys want sex so they collect money and gifts from them, same way employers know about the lack of jobs in the country so they can afford to impose any criteria in their selection. Nowadays people are sacked for frivolous reasons because they know many others are waiting outside so in the words of The godfather- It's nothing personal, It's just business.

2 Likes

Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by Lilimax(f): 12:51pm On Dec 09, 2013
Employers use this gimmick to cut down on the number of applications
they will recieve for the position; knowing fully well that we have thousands of unemployed youths out there.

I would advice applicants to shun this and apply for the job you fit into.

Every other things will fall in place....

1 Like

Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by zignor(m): 12:52pm On Dec 09, 2013
kennygee: It's their loss. How many of those who have the 2.1 can actually defend it? Most of them just buy results or pay their way to school, it's still a "garbage in garbage out" thing.
baby, i understand your pain, but i can still help, if u dont mind undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by Mbeki: 12:55pm On Dec 09, 2013
Go to school, get a good grade so you can get a well paid job worked in 19th and 20th century.

This is 21st century guys, be an expert in your field, and become a consultant. Unemployment is just starting, very soon, if u don't have first class you'll remain at home till Jesus come.

3 Likes

Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by Frederico21(m): 12:56pm On Dec 09, 2013
Even if we speak our minds.. You won't employ us or would you? Well to get on with. Employers are like criminals in police uniforms but i assure you, not all employers are heartless.
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by Okijajuju1(m): 12:56pm On Dec 09, 2013
alaric saltzman: happy sunday pals!

wanna hear your opinions on something i feel is unfair(my opinion ooo). Do you think employers that demand a minimum of second class upper in any field which makes someone ineligible to apply for a job are being fair considering the fact that some courses offered in school are harder than others. though every course is hard in its own way but let us be realistic here, you can't compare engineering/industrial chemistry to linguistics/english. yet someone with a 2'1 in the latter has advantage over someone with a 2'2 in the former, both applying for the same job, afterall they will be trained.

discuss your take on this...

[b]Then what about those with a pass?!

Life is always going to be unfair to a certain class of people. If they reduce the category to include pass students, then 'attempted degree' and dropouts will also complain. Thats why for 2.2 students, the way out is to go do an MSc or PGD and get ahead.

But what I tell people is that they should ignore the entry requirements and keep applying. Someone with a 2.2 that I know is today working in the U.S with Halliburton. NO MSC. Just make sure you have a killer resume and be ready to prove yourself at the drop of a hat. Those classes of graduates know that opportunity to shine comes but once.

1 Like

Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by sureway1(m): 12:56pm On Dec 09, 2013
go to campus and see how students spend most time with girls, sug (politics), football, party... and neglects the main purpose of going to school... few still make 2;1 but the problem is majority of the 2:2 n Co did the wrong thing at the right time....don't blame employers at times it's kamal @ work .
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by zignor(m): 1:00pm On Dec 09, 2013
Someone with a 2.2 that I know is today working in the U.S with Halliburton. NO MSC.
lol . . .me too know about a rewire with passing six working in US now grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by collynzo2(m): 1:03pm On Dec 09, 2013
A multinational company has vacancies for 15 people and decided to limit the applicants to only First class graduates in order to reduce the number of applicants, but they still got up to 5000 first class apllicants.
That is how rough the situation is.

1 Like

Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by zignor(m): 1:13pm On Dec 09, 2013
lol@paybird grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by Nobody: 1:15pm On Dec 09, 2013
sure way: go to campus and see how students spend most time with girls, sug (politics), football, party... and neglects the main purpose of going to school... few still make 2;1 but the problem is majority of the 2:2 n Co did the wrong thing at the right time....don't blame employers at times it's kamal @ work .

Kamal @work? undecided
Who is he lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by Fazhy: 1:15pm On Dec 09, 2013
oh yes!!!

Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by otokx(m): 1:22pm On Dec 09, 2013
collynzo2: A multinational company has vacancies for 15 people and decided to limit the applicants to only First class graduates in order to reduce the number of applicants, but they still got up to 5000 first class apllicants.
That is how rough the situation is.

bros but this your lie big sha, 5000 first class graduates from Africa abi na Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by otokx(m): 1:23pm On Dec 09, 2013
Hornyboo0bz:

Kamal @work? undecided
Who is he lipsrsealed

Nigerian education system product.
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by primusmaximus: 1:26pm On Dec 09, 2013
Hornyboo0bz:

Kamal @work? undecided
Who is he lipsrsealed
grin grin grin grin
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by Okijajuju1(m): 1:30pm On Dec 09, 2013
sure way: go to campus and see how students spend most time with girls, sug (politics), football, party... and neglects the main purpose of going to school... few still make 2;1 but the problem is majority of the 2:2 n Co did the wrong thing at the right time....don't blame employers at times it's kamal @ work .

i'm sorry but you are wrong.. #period.

1 Like

Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by merbenko: 1:48pm On Dec 09, 2013
R
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by Nobody: 1:49pm On Dec 09, 2013
kennygee: It's their loss. How many of those who have the 2.1 can actually defend it? Most of them just buy results or pay their way to school, it's still a "garbage in garbage out" thing.
someone is hurting here. my sister weda they can defend it or not is not the issue u just need it to b invited for the job.
Re: Are Employers Being Fair?? by Okijajuju1(m): 1:50pm On Dec 09, 2013
otokx:

Nigerian education system product.

I wonder what he spent his time on.. grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Vines Realty Nigeria Job Vacancies (6 Positions) / GTB Vs Pz-Cussons...PLEASE HELP!!!!! / Massive Recruitment At Drilldeep Oil And Gas Company Limited

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.